Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Doesn't it make more sense that these decisions are being made after the CBA was announced & the new DP rules were accepted ?
    Not really. Other teams seemed to be a lot better at planning ahead if that's the case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    No strikers in the box
    No defenders in our end
    No people skills from the coach(es)
    No person on the team with any sense of leadership
    No clue in the PR department
    No less than several mickeys and an eight ball in the GM's desk
    No chance for the playoffs
    As I've said before this club is fucked from top to bottom
    I think faulting Preki for a lack of people skills is kind of silly, since up until today we've all been generally pleased with the chaff he has managed to cut out of the roster.

Also, there are tons of successful coaches in professional sports who aren't "player's coaches". Whether Brennan liked Preki is irrelevant to me - I just care about whether the players play hard for him.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that Jimmy B will at least be sticking with the organization.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Nothing on TFC.ca

The club is always the last ones to report on their own news!
    They've just scheduled a press conference for tomorrow at 1:30pm. "Mo Johnston to make a player announcement."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    Same shit as always. The media here blows up a "behind the scenes" story like celebrity gossip style, the supporters eat it up and get angry and then the team makes a bunch of stupid decisions to try to clean up the mess to make it seem like the player left in a classy way. Such crap from all parties involved.
    This is it exactly - we should be used to it in this city because it isn't the only team that operates this way.

And just once I'd like to hear a player say he's tired of losing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Not really. Other teams seemed to be a lot better at planning ahead if that's the case.
    Yes, and many NHL teams came out of their labour dispute in much better shape than the Leafs. See a connection?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Doesn't it make more sense that these decisions are being made after the CBA was announced & the new DP rules were accepted ?
    It makes absolute sense, in the context that this team's salaries were so messed up that we needed to wait for the CBA before we were even able to make any moves.

Keep in mind that we still don't have anything approaching a full roster of players, and I'm pretty sure we still don't even have a full and proper bench.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Did they really ?

Lets see what our team looks like in 10 days after the dust settles.

Some other teams did make moves while their hands were partially handicapped, we have no idea yet if they made the right decisions, only time will tell.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Yes, and many NHL teams came out of their labour dispute in much better shape than the Leafs. See a connection?
    Not really.

The Leafs were able to outspend almost every other team in the NHL until the salary cap was put in place. That they were ill-prepared to handle a huge shift in player acquisition methods doesn't speak to any connection between what the Leafs did and Mo/Preki is doing now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a fuckin circus this club has turned out to be.

Hey Mo I watch about 15 games a week can i get a job with you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck Jimmy B!! Do us proud like you did on the field!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultimately, if the squad that takes to the pitch for the home opener is a stronger unit as a result of the roster overhaul, I can look past the negative publicity and inevitable controversy that seems to envelop every press release regarding TFC player transactions in recent weeks. I'm past the point of frustration with the "E-Hollywood" atmosphere surrounding the franchise...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It makes absolute sense, in the context that this team's salaries were so messed up that we needed to wait for the CBA before we were even able to make any moves.

Keep in mind that we still don't have anything approaching a full roster of players, and I'm pretty sure we still don't even have a full and proper bench.

- Scott
    Minus 1 more Shakes.. Instead of adding were losing our squad day by day..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Ultimately, if the squad that takes to the pitch for the home opener is a stronger unit as a result of the roster overhaul, I can look past the negative publicity and inevitable controversy that seems to envelop every press release regarding TFC player transactions in recent weeks. I'm past the point of frustration with the "E-Hollywood" atmosphere surrounding the franchise...
    This club would not have a problem if they let US the supporters know first hand of the changes.. but even US were in the dark about all the ongoings.. I hope to god that Jimmy B turns out to be a real prize for Canadian players and footy in this country.. Please bring real soccer back to Canada and share with us the dream and desire of reaching our ultimate goals ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, even the league isn't confirming the story yet, just that Jimmy's move has been "reported" by KJ from The Score.

oh Well TFC Has issued a Media Advisory for Tomorrow at 1:30 pm, that should clear things up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Not really.

The Leafs were able to outspend almost every other team in the NHL until the salary cap was put in place. That they were ill-prepared to handle a huge shift in player acquisition methods doesn't speak to any connection between what the Leafs did and Mo/Preki is doing now.
    Bit of a misleading comment. They had revenues far and above anyone in the league, yet were never in the top three in player salaries. They could have been the NY Yankees of Baseball in player spending, but chose not to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad this happened. Guy was only 32 and had a couple of years left in him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    ^It seems like this is how Mo finds cap space - push guys into retirement but give them jobs in the organization. I think Nick Garcia would make a fantastic..hmmm...assistant to the regional manager.
    +1 ^^^

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what to make of any move by TFC these days. I just throw up my arms as none of this makes any sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that in a week or so we will have a pretty robust roster and with some time we may yet be a contender this year.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that Jimmy B would tie himself to a sinking ship (MO) like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    Who says he's doing that? It wouldn't surprise me if this was done by Anselmi, not Mo.

Either way, it doesn't make him an Assistant GM in anyone's mind.

He's got to prove to someone, be it Mo, Mo's replacement, or someone somewhere else, that he deserves to be in management.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-06-2010 at 07:35 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they just showed jimmy b at the leaf game.. guess he's enjoying retired life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaBandit View Post
    they just showed jimmy b at the leaf game.. guess he's enjoying retired life.
    He is scouting the European leafs, since they will be free after Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will miss Jimmy greatly! He gave everything for this club and if he is in fact done we should honour him properly at the home opener! I will never forget "that" free kick goal!!!! First signing, first captain, lifted our first trophy....etc, etc!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drexel10 View Post
    Don't shoot me if I am wrong, but someone just told me that I heard it first and Brennan is stepping down/retiring to become assistan GM?
    I don't shoot.
    And I don't listen to rumour.
    But I just put John Denver on the windex-tundex because this news makes me happy.
    KD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya, but we've lost 1 match. I realize that today the majority of this board considers the ship to be sinking. but if we somehow pick up a few wins in the next few weeks all will be forgiven for the time being.

Let's hope it happens.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I say "ship" I mean MO not the whole team....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    ya, but we've lost 1 match. I realize that today the majority of this board considers the ship to be sinking. but if we somehow pick up a few wins in the next few weeks all will be forgiven for the time being.

Let's hope it happens.
    Amen

olegunnar

Who's to say if Mo gets fired (which is pretty much a good bet at this point) that the whole staff will get fired?

Wouldn't it be better to have a year experience when jobs open up at the end of the year?

Then and this is me channelling Beach Red, Big bad cheap lazy MLSE might be apt to cheap out and hire the fan favourite under their nose for the Vacant GM job rather than wade into a hiring search for a person with a skill set they (the hirers) have zero expertise.