Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gratuitous TFC logo copyright infringement

I snapped this in my Scarborough neighbourhood today.
    I'm not sure who is more likely to claim copyright infringement - Major League Soccer for the initials or TFC for the logo.
    No idea what this place is at it hasn't opened yet, but it used to be a bowling alley. Indoor soccer? Paintball? I dunno but there's a "player's lounge" attached to it as well.
    Can you say Major League Lawsuit??
    Mods, feel free to move if in the wrong section.

Last edited by Stugatzo; 04-05-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Queen lost againist Vanilla Ice in court and that was the exact same beat. Can't see MLS or TFC winning any kind of case.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    Queen lost againist Vanilla Ice in court and that was the exact same beat. Can't see MLS or TFC winning any kind of case.
    Please provide evidence of this.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahaha..... that looks like a church with a fence...... makes me want to pee on it!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^haha...yeah.
    the complex was actually the other way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 bars or less isn't copyright infringement. Because Ice only used 2 bars as the beat it wasn't technically an infringement. Also, Ice had a MASSIVE record label backing him in that lawsuite, which helps. The infringement above on the other hand is gratuitous and most definitely a violation. And I'm assuming MLSE has a bit more in the legal resources department

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:smilielol5;

OMG, tell me that is a joke? Photoshop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes, talk about lack of imagination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    hahahaha..... that looks like a church with a fence...... makes me want to pee on it!
    It's an electric fence - watch it or you could be electrocuted!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    :smilielol5;

OMG, tell me that is a joke? Photoshop?

wasn't me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stugatzo View Post
    I snapped this in my Scarborough neighbourhood today.
    I'm not sure who is more likely to claim copyright infringement - Major League Soccer for the initials or TFC for the logo.
    No idea what this place is at it hasn't opened yet, but it used to be a bowling alley. Indoor soccer? Paintball? I dunno but there's a "player's lounge" attached to it as well.
    Can you say Major League Lawsuit??
    Mods, feel free to move if in the wrong section.

Looks like outside the stadium in Columbus.....The Fence, The Church...Parkdale is that you?..LOL

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcmanu View Post
    Looks like outside the stadium in Columbus.....The Fence, The Church...Parkdale is that you?..LOL
    the distance from the fence I pee'd on to the church is farther than from the yellow poll to the satelite dish.

haha... thanks Google maps!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

MUFC_Niagara

Copyright laws dictate that if a logo is change by 20% it is no longer infringement. That is very close to 20%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok guys... I'll come clean... I actually own this complex! We are putting up north stands and geting some real grass as well... indoors!!! waaaaa
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    6 bars or less isn't copyright infringement. Because Ice only used 2 bars as the beat it wasn't technically an infringement. Also, Ice had a MASSIVE record label backing him in that lawsuite, which helps. The infringement above on the other hand is gratuitous and most definitely a violation. And I'm assuming MLSE has a bit more in the legal resources department
    Vanilla Ice ended up having to pay for the sample ($4 million) and David Bowie and Fredddie Mercury are listed as song writers so they're collecting the mechanical royalties from that song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Vanilla Ice ended up having to pay for the sample ($4 million) and David Bowie and Fredddie Mercury are listed as song writers so they're collecting the mechanical royalties from that song.
    Funny, I just heard My Sweet Lord on the radio.

There isn't a set number of notes or bars or anything, each case is looked at on its own and intent is taken into account. If the new song was trying to trade on the old one that can be enough.

What happened to the U2 - Dominic Triano case last year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    Copyright laws dictate that if a logo is change by 20% it is no longer infringement. That is very close to 20%.
    that's not exactly how the law works.

technically, this would be a claim for trademark infringement - most likely "passing off" under s. 7(b) of the trademarks act.

as to who would be able to bring action, it would depend on who is listed as the registered owner of tfc's trademark (either ownership or mls).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and what about coldplay and Joe Satriani!
    As for the 20 per cent rule, not sure how you would measure that.
    The colour scheme is identical, the concept of the the ball on top and the scarf across the middle with the T replaced by M and l and s.
    Perhaps MLSE should just consider it the sincerest form of flattery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Funny, I just heard My Sweet Lord on the radio.

There isn't a set number of notes or bars or anything, each case is looked at on its own and intent is taken into account. If the new song was trying to trade on the old one that can be enough.

What happened to the U2 - Dominic Triano case last year?
    I've worked with Domenic Triano....he was a great musician. I never knew there was a case vs U2 with him..interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bad! I thought he won that case (since he had the rights to the song up until his... interesting view off that hotel balcony)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol I drove by that place yesterday.. had to do a doubletake. Its in a pretty grimy part of Scarborough so not sure what they are planning to provide at MLS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what I don't get? How did anyone NOT guess that they would eventually have to pay royalties? It would have come out so much cheaper had they simply bought the usage before releasing the track that made it so big!

That always confused me. Who was managing this for Vanilla Ice? He should have fired him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS owns the logos for TFC and MLS.

It's MLS who would take action.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NewCity View Post
    I've worked with Domenic Triano....he was a great musician. I never knew there was a case vs U2 with him..interesting.
    No, my mistake, it was Coldplay.

And yes, he was a great musician, he influenced a lot of people.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good musician…crappy basketball coach
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    MLS owns the logos for TFC and MLS.

It's MLS who would take action.
    MLS owns the TFC logo?
    You know that for a fact?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    You know what I don't get? How did anyone NOT guess that they would eventually have to pay royalties? It would have come out so much cheaper had they simply bought the usage before releasing the track that made it so big!

That always confused me. Who was managing this for Vanilla Ice? He should have fired him.
    The laws back then were pretty sketchy in regard to samples, it was a new frontier in a lot of ways. Sampling had been used before, but it was always for small segments and not the main hook of a song - and never before had so much money been involved (the song was a giant hit). The labels basically decided to go with it, and then let it sort itself out later.

A few years ago I read an awesome article about how much it would have cost to get all the samples cleared for Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold us Back" if it was recorded today. It would have cost several million dollars, to put out an album that only cost a few hundred thousand to make.

My friend wrote the Shawn Desmond song "Let's Go". A lot of people assume that the song samples the Yazoo song "Don't Go". It's not a sample - it would have cost too much to have that sample cleared. Instead they did a ton of research and found out what equipment (and settings) Yazoo used to record the song, they tracked down all the old synths and then re-recorded the song note for note. That way they only had to credit Vince Clarke as a song writer and didn't have to actually pay for the sample. You'd be surprised by how many things that you think are samples really aren't - artists/producers can save tens of thousands of dollars doing it this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    MLS owns the TFC logo?
    You know that for a fact?

mlse, not mls, is the registered owner of the "toronto fc" trademark.

here's the link for the registration:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/tr...tIndexOnPage=1

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The laws back then were pretty sketchy in regard to samples, it was a new frontier in a lot of ways. Sampling had been used before, but it was always for small segments and not the main hook of a song - and never before had so much money been involved (the song was a giant hit). The labels basically decided to go with it, and then let it sort itself out later.

A few years ago I read an awesome article about how much it would have cost to get all the samples cleared for Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold us Back" if it was recorded today. It would have cost several million dollars, to put out an album that only cost a few hundred thousand to make.

My friend wrote the Shawn Desmond song "Let's Go". A lot of people assume that the song samples the Yazoo song "Don't Go". It's not a sample - it would have cost too much to have that sample cleared. Instead they did a ton of research and found out what equipment (and settings) Yazoo used to record the song, they tracked down all the old synths and then re-recorded the song note for note. That way they only had to credit Vince Clarke as a song writer and didn't have to actually pay for the sample. You'd be surprised by how many things that you think are samples really aren't - artists/producers can save tens of thousands of dollars doing it this way.
    That's interesting stuff. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I get this friends contact info to find Shawn Desmond