Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    When I first came here people told me over and over that "football" fans were dfferent than Leafs fans and I thought, good, because if they're the same then MLSE will play them, too, and get away with all kinds of shit - all the problems will be blamed on players and coaches and those at the top will keep raking in the money and never have to answer for anything.

So, okay, I thought this might be different then, let's see how this ownership responds to smarter fans, to people who don't blame the players and the management but who understand the real situation, let's see how they deal with demands for proper infrastructure and a big scouting department and... oh, crap.

This is a game MLSE are very good at, they win this one every time if people play it their way.
    This is a weird argument.

I blame Garcia for the mistakes he makes in games - but that fact doesn't mutually exclude my ability to hold Mo responsible for bringing him in, in the first place.

I blame the player when they play like shit, and I blame the manager for bringing the shit player in. Simple.

How many Garcia bashers here, don't also blame Mo for bringing him in? Are there any?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I didn't know a cheating spouse is a form of domestic abuse. And I didn't know that using a simile is condescending. It is what it is, and if it's condescending, then it's deserved. Someone who keeps falling for the same scam over and over isn't a victim.

And this has everything to do with Mo. This is the team Mo built. This team's success or lack thereof is directly attributed to Mo. So if you think that in a few games this team will light up MLS, then you're statement is directly correlated to a belief that Mo has built a good team and you should not want him gone. That is simple logic.
    Where the fuck did I say or make mention that I am "falling for the same scam" Roogsy? All I said was give it a few matches before going apeshit. I then had to go on to explain to YOU what I meant when others got my point. I think at this point YOU are the one that is clearly not posting or thinking with a clear head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    You are being condescending. You compared him to a victim of domestic abuse, for God's sake.
    Come on mate ... your description in this post exactly describes your own post in the Leafs thread about people like Jack who doubted exactly how good the Leafs truly are:

When you look at the turds he was paired with all season (Stajan and Grabovski), it's not hard to imagine why he has been taking all kinds of low percentage shots for most of the season. Grabovski hogs the puck too much, and Stajan just sucked (in my opinion).

Which is why the chemistry he has with Bozak is promising. He isn't just scoring goals - he is scoring good goals, either sniping corners from dangerous positions, or putting rebounds and good passes into open nets. They play well together, and Bozak is still getting his NHL legs under him (as he didn't play with the big team for a large chunk of the season).

I also imagine Kessel spent a good chunk of the season getting into the form he wanted to be in, coming back from significant shoulder surgery that robbed him of an off-season and pre-season.

So many Leafs fans have "battered wife syndrome" - we don't want to see the positives, because we've been hurt too many times before.

This isn't a group of veterans in their late 20's and 30's playing well at the end of the season when the pressure is off, as has been the case at this time of the year for the Leafs the past several years. This is a group of kids, many of whom are playing for full-time NHL gigs next season, and NHL contracts. We haven't had this scenario in a long while. And since taking over the team, the youngsters have responded incredibly well, scoring wins against teams fighting for playoff positioning.

This team isn't a finished product. But I do see a light at the end of the tunnel in some of these young players.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd rather pay attention to the guy doing the hiring as opposed to who they hire? The guy hiring doesn't need our "faith" or approval.

What demand have TFC responded to? Did we ask for Robbo to be let go? Did we ask for Gerba to be let go? Did we ask for Wynne to be let go? Did we ask for Guevara to be let go? Did we ask for all these players (and more) be to be let go with barely anyone to replace them? Where on these boards did we ask for a bucket-load of 3rd round draft picks? To say TFC have responded to the fans is the most inaccurate comment I have read in this thread yet.

There are three things that fans demanded from TFC all year last year.

1) A DP
    2) A proper defender (we've never had one)
    3) A proper striker

We got a DP in the last weeks of the season where he could barely help at all. We have not gotten a single defender and instead shipped one out. And did the same with our forwards.

That is not responding to the demands of the fans.

I was watching the NYRB game today and it was noted that the team has had 13 managers in 15 seasons. No wonder they have had no success. And we are well under way to becoming NYRB part deux. A revolving door of players and coaches. But the one guy that should have been changed by now, Mo, remains in place. Until he goes...we will have no success. I'd even question whether we can ever make the playoffs as it gets harder and harder each year with new teams vying for the same number of playoff spots. In our first year, it was 8 out of 13 teams. This year, it's 8 out of 16 and in a couple of years it will be 8 out of 18. And people think giving them more time is the answer?
    Okay, the reason the guy doing the hiring is important is because he answers to someone, too, so he'll always make the safe, cheap choice, never the bold one. This is an organization with no head - who's in charge? How can any organization be a successful when there isn't a clear head? Where does the buck stop?

No one thinks they shoud be given more time, but that's what will happen, what else can happen, they aren't going anywhere, they're the only game in town.

They need to be better at their core business. They're just like a Canadian TV network - they never make any hits of their own but here they are, year after year, making a profit. It really seems to be a Toronto corporate mentality, I don't get it, but it needs to change at the top, and not just the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    cant disagree with you. I'm seriously thinking about giving up my pair of tickets in the bunker up for the season, and waiting till next year. I'll return when Mo is gone.
    batman that takes alot of balls.. im with you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless Mo's "5 year plan" entailed building a team, dismantling it, then building a new one - I can't see what he's doing for the life of me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Bingo.

Other teams have consistently run their business better than us to start the season: FOR FOUR YEARS STRAIGHT. The season is too short to be coming out unprepared and we've had too much time to continue these excuses.
    Thank you! Dear god why don't some people see this?

We have a 30 game season, much shorter than most other football leagues. Each game represents 3.33% of our season. 3 games represents 10% of our season. In the NHL, each game is 1.22% and in MLB each game is 0.55%. Shoot...even in Europe, each game represents only 2.5% of the results of the season. We have by far the fewest games to get results and we are willing to be patient for a few games while the team gels? No way! Gelling is done. Usain Bolt jumps out of the blocks as far as he can because it's a sprint to the finish, he doesn't intentionally let other runners get in front while he feels get's a "feel" for the race? The same here...the MLS season is a sprint, it isn't an endurance race like the MLB season with over 180 games to give you a few to "throw away". Each game in MLS has a direct bearing on your final result and whether you make the playoffs. From a mathematical and statistical point of view, it is absolute SUICIDE to allow for throwaway games.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 03-27-2010 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never want to hear that im not a supporter.. I am here for life but let this club know that im not here to piss around my hard earned money to support an always building club. Mo johnston you failed this club . and your time is up..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Come on mate ... your description in this post exactly describes your own post in the Leafs thread about people like Jack who doubted exactly how good the Leafs truly are:
    Ouch...what was that word you used on me Scott?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEY View Post
    Where the fuck did I say or make mention that I am "falling for the same scam" Roogsy? All I said was give it a few matches before going apeshit. I then had to go on to explain to YOU what I meant when others got my point. I think at this point YOU are the one that is clearly not posting or thinking with a clear head.
    By singing the same tune each year. You don't have to know that you're falling for the same scam to actually fall for it.

I understood your point clearly...you clearly don't understand the implications of your own statement. If you say the team needs more games, then you are allowing for the chance that Mo has indeed done it "this time" as he promised us at the beginning of each season. So whether you want Mo gone or not is irrelevant. By claiming the team needs more time, you are by default giving Mo "more time".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know a cheating spouse is a form of domestic abuse. And I didn't know that using a simile is condescending. It is what it is, and if it's condescending, then it's deserved. Someone who keeps falling for the same scam over and over isn't a victim.
    You didn't know using a simile could be condescending? Come on man. "You're like one of those smelly old men who masturbates to Sears catalogues." Don't be offended, it's a simile!

And this has everything to do with Mo. This is the team Mo built. This team's success or lack thereof is directly attributed to Mo. So if you think that in a few games this team will light up MLS, then you're statement is directly correlated to a belief that Mo has built a good team and you should not want him gone. That is simple logic.
    It's tortured logic. And you're once again putting words in everyone's mouth with "if you think that in a few games this team will light up MLS". Absolutely nobody has said that. Hoping that maybe Preki can coach these players into a decent team - and maybe one that can even squeak into the playoffs - is not tantamount to endorsing the job Mo has done. Giving it a few games, before I write this season off, has nothing to do with Mo Johnston.

By your logic, if you had any hope in this season before the game tonight, then you also endorsed Mo as a team builder.

Glen Sather has been an absolutely brutal GM with the New York Rangers, but they've still had success in spite of him. Mo Johnston isn't a puppet master that controls every aspect of this team - he just puts the pieces on the board.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By singing the same tune each year. You don't have to know that you're falling for the same scam to actually fall for it.

I understood your point clearly...you clearly don't understand the implications of your own statement. If you say the team needs more games, then you are allowing for the chance that Mo has indeed done it "this time" as he promised us at the beginning of each season. So whether you want Mo gone or not is irrelevant. By claiming the team needs more time, you are by default giving Mo "more time".
    I don't know man...I am with Whitey on this one. I am not happy but I am going to wait a few games before I throw myself off a bridge.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy I could probably say chop off Mo's dick and stick it in his mouth and you'd come back with it wasn't chopped off quick enough LOL! I get your point too man. Like I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yeah, I was using a simile to describe a group of people I BELONG TO. I was identifying with the feeling personally, not essentially calling him ridiculous for feeling that way.

If you'll note, I even said "we" in referring to the pain that has been inflicted on us.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also like that Preki instantly identified the over-reliance on long ball nonsense - did Cummins or Carver ever identify that as a problem publicly, in their time here?
    Scott, you are the second guy to comment on what Preki said about the over use of long balls and while I think it is good he said it I myself wouldn't slap him on the back for it. It doesn't take a genius to see that for the past year or so TFC has played a crazy amount of long balls which usually do not pay dividends. I would have hoped that Preki would have identified this weakness by viewing some of last seasons matches and I hope he would have sat the entire squad down during preseason and addressed this issue, I am guessing he would have? I have no idea of how long it will take a manager to change the philosophy of players, hopefully in the course of the next two months we will see less long balls, I will be more impressed with Preki when I see this happen rather than just listening to Preki speaking about a problem that has been around the club for a long time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEY View Post
    Roogsy I could probably say chop off Mo's dick and stick it in his mouth and you'd come back with it wasn't chopped off quick enough LOL! I get your point too man. Like I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
    Amen!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Scott, you are the second guy to comment on what Preki said about the over use of long balls and while I think it is good he said it I myself wouldn't slap him on the back for it. It doesn't take a genius to see that for the past year or so TFC has played a crazy amount of long balls which usually do not pay dividends. I would have hoped that Preki would have identified this weakness by viewing some of last seasons matches and I hope he would have sat the entire squad down during preseason and addressed this issue, I am guessing he would have? I have no idea of how long it will take a manager to change the philosophy of players, hopefully in the course of the next two months we will see less long balls, I will be more impressed with Preki when I see this happen rather than just listening to Preki speaking about a problem that has been around the club for a long time.
    I agree that simply recognizing the problem isn't a cause celebre, nor does it actually fix the issue. My point was just that - at least he has identified the problem after one game. I consider that a good sign. I never heard Carver or Cummins identify this problem, and I certainly never saw the problem get any better on the pitch.

- Scott

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I was using a simile to describe a group of people I BELONG TO. I was identifying with the feeling personally, not essentially calling him ridiculous for feeling that way.

If you'll note, I even said "we" in referring to the pain that has been inflicted on us.

- Scott
    Using the same simile equates the same level of condescension regardless if you include yourself in the group or not. It's a little hypocritical to be honest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    I don't know man...I am with Whitey on this one. I am not happy but I am going to wait a few games before I throw myself off a bridge.

LOL! You'll be throwing yourself off that bridge without me Alex...I'd rather take other measures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll have a new rule this season, that is, I'm going to skip all the away games going forward. It's just unwatchable... The quality of football is awful, and the surroundings are just plain grotesque. This team is only somewhat interesting on its home turf but the road games are utter shite.

I_AM_CANADIAN

^ I also hate watching TFC road games on TV.... more incentive to go to them, though. There's nothing better than a footie road trip in my experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Excellent point, get the ball on the ground, show some movement off the ball, make smart decisions, simple game really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    I think I'll have a new rule this season, that is, I'm going to skip all the away games going forward. It's just unwatchable... The quality of football is awful, and the surroundings are just plain grotesque. This team is only somewhat interesting on its home turf but the road games are utter shite.
    The only reason why I dread watching TFC away games is TFC itself ... we are utter crap on the road. Aside from that, I do enjoy the atmosphere in places like Seattle, DC, Los Angeles and even Chicago every now and then ... not to mention that I'm also looking forward to watching games held in the new Red Bull Arena and pretty much all the Philly home games this season (held both in Lincoln Field and their own SSS when it finishes next month I believe).

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Funny isn't it?

Garcia is getting the blame and yet he really had no impact on the outcome. Yes, the giveaway was shit but it didn't end up in the back of the net.

Today's game came down to giving away too many corners and White getting burned on a set play.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    ^ I also hate watching TFC road games on TV.... more incentive to go to them, though. There's nothing better than a footie road trip in my experience.
    ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BETTER!

The feeling last year when we went to KC and won was unbelievable. Hard to put into words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The feeling last year when we went to KC and won was unbelievable. Hard to put into words.
    No. It's pretty easy. It was fucking surreal. Hopefully we get a similar result in a couple of weeks with many more people.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

I_AM_CANADIAN

Definitely. I was going to just say TFC road trip, but I've also been on Canada road trips, which have been equally great. Even the game against Honduras in Montreal, which ended up in a crappy result, was still a great experience overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Funny isn't it?

Garcia is getting the blame and yet he really had no impact on the outcome.
    I wouldn't agree entirely. I mean, yes he coughed up the 2nd goal but we didn't score so it wasn't the winning goal. But at the same time, I felt TFC had something going just prior to that abortion of a play. They may have tied it late and earned a point.

But more to the point, I think people are diarrheaing (I know it's not a verb, but it's good to say worse than shitting) because it bodes poorly for the rest of the season. The optimists (myself included) were hoping that Preki saw that he could do something useful with Garcia but we were emotionally shot down to discover that no, no you can't do anything useful with him. We now know that Garcia is still a waste of cap space and hope that his shorts (with him inside) get heavy-duty stapled to the bench from now on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Via Buffalo View Post
    No. It's pretty easy. It was fucking surreal. Hopefully we get a similar result in a couple of weeks with many more people.
    If the club could match the supporters then were talkng .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    ON TWITTER:

Paul B just replied to Jason DeVos comment on us being close to the cap. Paul B says we have more room than most think

Does that mean Gerba is off the books? 2nd DP rule?
    we hear it paul b we hear it from preki....WHERE THE FUCK IS OUR GM.
    the coward is in hiding again,why not have a presser before the season explaining what the fuck he is doing,,,