Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Wynne Traded?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I will miss Marvell. Yes, he might have lacked football IQ, but at least he had speed, determination and he was always working hard. He never got the chance to learn from a real coach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so youre suggesting Preki isnt a real coach?
    hes had the best record of all the coaches we've had in 4 years...
    one of the best records in the league at this moment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, Preki is probably a good coach, but Marvell won't be here to take advantage. I don't question Preki's moves so far, I am confident he'll be able to finally build a team.
    But for me, Marvell kind of represented TFC, when I think about the first season, I remember his runs and Dichio's first goal...I don't know, I think he should've been kept at least one more season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He didn't fit the system. Robinson and Guevara didn't fit the system. It sucks, but he was as much a liability that he was a valuable player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone remember the amount of games he lost for us with his hands waving in the box?

He had some good qualities, but also some bad qualities. He can be replaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All valid points, but I'm still sad he had to go. I almost feel the same way as when they made Dichio retire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i woulda felt that way after 2008.... but Marv lost me last year. i just didn't see as much last year to excite me from him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as said many times, he was an excellent athlete fast as fuck, but not a soccer player

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, very interesting, check this out: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14768552

"The newest acquisition sure made his presence felt in the Rapids' Major League Soccer opener Friday night, and they've got three big points to show for it.

Marvell Wynne, playing an unfamiliar role in the center of the backline, continually frustrated Chivas USA's attack.

Wynne, acquired Wednesday in a trade with Toronto FC, was the key, using his speed to cut off passes or track down Chivas attackers who got in behind the Rapids' backline, and his strength to overpower them.

"Absolutely phenomenal," said Smith, who dealt midfielder Nick LaBrocca and a draft pick for Wynne. "I said before the game, hit it, kick it and get in the way of people, and he was phenomenal."

Wynne made several plays to deny Chivas. The biggest: racing in to shoulder Maykel Galindo off the ball after Osael Romero's throughball left him one-on-one with Perkins in the ninth minute, cutting off Sacha Kljestan's pass for Jorge Flores in the 33rd, dispossessing Galindo again just before halftime, twice stopping Justin Braun in the second half, and taking the ball from Chukwudi Chijindu in the 76th."

--------------------------

Maybe Nick LaBrocca can give us a couple of assists in Columbus to compensate???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so he had a good game? good for him. I liked Marv. Marv had some good games for us too.

But the season is 30 games long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Colorado is gonna play him at CB?

They're asking for a handball/shoulder push penalty every game.

Should be interesting to see how long it takes the folks in Denver to realize that he's a track star and not a soccer player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    so he had a good game? good for him. I liked Marv. Marv had some good games for us too.

But the season is 30 games long.
    Yeah, I love to see him do well because Wynne came across as practically the nicest guy ever ... but

If it was a solid attacking core Wynne was facing instead of the consistently under performing Chivas strike force... there'd be a different story out there today.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    does anyone remember the amount of games he lost for us with his hands waving in the box?

He had some good qualities, but also some bad qualities. He can be replaced.
    I don't blame him for that. You try making a 90 degree turn at flat-out pace with your arms by your side and see what happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, I actually watched the whole Chivas - Rapids match and Wynne did actually start in the centre and was indeed very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thisisinternetclash View Post
    For what it's worth, I actually watched the whole Chivas - Rapids match and Wynne did actually start in the centre and was indeed very good.
    good to see he had one good game.

of course next week he'll pull a guy down in the box for a penalty or wave his arms around and get a penalty and Colorado fans will be fuming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good to see he had one good game.

of course next week he'll pull a guy down in the box for a penalty or wave his arms around and get a penalty and Colorado fans will be fuming
    I'm happy for Wynne too but I facepalmed when he almost gave a penalty away within the first 9 minutes. Had it been in a less physical league, it's almost certain it would have been called.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I'm happy for Wynne too but I facepalmed when he almost gave a penalty away within the first 9 minutes. Had it been in a less physical league, it's almost certain it would have been called.
    what did he do? I didn't see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is killing me!

Preki System?
    Wynne had problems?

Marv had some injury trouble last year! I cannot count how many great defensive plays this guy has made and over the last three seasons he has gotten better and to find a player of his calibre, speed and physically removing men off the ball will be hard in this league! Preki plan system.....bla bla bla, to me should have included Marv!

For the last three years it has been drilled into our heads about the development of this squad to get to this present point and with the new coach here now and all the talk we are virtually starting over again!

I look forward to making the playoffs in three years, oh wait, is it 2007 or 2010?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too watched the game last night and I think people are overrating Wynnes performance. He got away with a shove on a Chivas player in the box and was nowhere to be seen on a counter 1vs1 break that Galindo (I think) put into the side netting ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what did he do? I didn't see.
    Running back to catch up to a player (Galindo I think it was) and gave him a fairly hefty shove to get him off the ball and generally Wynne had his hands all over the other guy. It wasn't clear cut like the referee needs to be Mr. Magoo to explain how he missed it but it definitely was a dodgy moment for him.

Not to imply he was terrible all night long, he did have a decent/good game generally speaking but those cataclysmic moments aren't yet gone from his game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    I don't blame him for that. You try making a 90 degree turn at flat-out pace with your arms by your side and see what happens.
    We don't get paid to play defense in a professional soccer league.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thing..i will miss about wynne.....is his Work ethic....its second to none he busted his balls game in and game out.....no doubt he will missed...i think we got rapped on this deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Hmmm, very interesting, check this out: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14768552

Maybe Nick LaBrocca can give us a couple of assists in Columbus to compensate???
    LaBrocca had a grand total of ZERO assists last season, after playing in EVERY match.

NILCH

NADA

ZERO

not sure what you're expecting from this guy. He's a depth player. He takes up minutes and that's about it. A bench player on a good club, he's the kind of guy who starts on a team that is destined to not make the playoffs.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Anyway, while I do appreciate the work Wynne did for this team, I felt that last year, Nana performed much better defensively and as well as, if not better than, Wynne in attack. Good luck to him wherever he goes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craz11 View Post
    LaBrocca had a grand total of ZERO assists last season, after playing in EVERY match.

NILCH

NADA

ZERO

not sure what you're expecting from this guy. He's a depth player. He takes up minutes and that's about it. A bench player on a good club, he's the kind of guy who starts on a team that is destined to not make the playoffs.
    I knew about both LaBrocca's & Wynne's stats from the past years. My comment was supposed to be a bit of a joke. I mean, "a couple of assists" would mean that Toronto at least has to score a couple of goals. How likely is that away, especially in Columbus?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post
    Anyway, while I do appreciate the work Wynne did for this team, I felt that last year, Nana performed much better defensively and as well as, if not better than, Wynne in attack. Good luck to him wherever he goes.
    I am not sure why we need to keep comparing Nana and Wynne against each other. It's not like we have a plethora of defenders to choose from that we are surplus parts here in Toronto. It's not like it was always either one or the either. Is Nana the reason Wynne was shipped out? If it was, then it was a stupid reason.

The only way I can accept that Wynne should have been traded was for either a proven forward or a stud defender. As it is, we got a bench player. Trader Mo is losing even his trading touch. Which means what worth does he have anymore for this team if he isn't going to make up for his horrible team building by making blockbuster trades?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^There was also salary considerations...the difference between what Wynne made and what LaBrocca makes allowed us to sign Saric and Gargan - so it's kind of a 3 for 1 deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogs, we didn't get a bench player. LaBrocca played nearly every game the past two seasons. He's considered to be one of the more underrated players in the league. From what I saw, he looked like he was trying to find his teammates, but they were all still in Colorado. Give him some time to practice with the squad, and a few game to adjust then judge his play. I have a feeling we're going to see a decent amount of Saric and LaBrocca this season.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    ^There was also salary considerations...the difference between what Wynne made and what LaBrocca makes allowed us to sign Saric and Gargan - so it's kind of a 3 for 1 deal.
    Boy, this team loves to stack up it's collection of mismatched midfielders don't they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it finally dawned on them that they need warm bodies...a 17 man roster is slightly less embarassing than a 15 man roster!