Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Interesting game of chicken.

There's more to this than the article says. Mo can just pass on McBride and keep the allocation, as there are almost certainly other valuable players still to come this year.

The key question - is/are the player(s) Mo/Carver have said TFC will acquire, already on our designated player list?

If not, we need that allocation. Mo may be looking at a 3-way deal with RSL, who have the next allocation after us. (That's what I inferred from the "Mo keeps making things complicated" line, anyway.) By acquiring RSL's allocation slot, Mo keeps his place in the allocation line by using our allocation for McBride and then trading McBride, but we'd get less from Chicago - Chicago would have to send something to both us and RSL. In this scenario, RSL would get more than we would.
    I follow you, just another scenario to speculate and contemplent, love it!

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barrett + 1st round pick = McBride

Then they only loose 1 player and they can shut their fuckin pie holes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    I want a DP striker that people in Canada will recognize to build the TFC brand so when I turn on TSN, The Score, CBC, Sportsnet and other sports channels they show the highlights of every god damn game TFC plays, not just when Ricketts of Guevara make outstanding goals (TSN). .
    I think you're dreaming if you really think this is the sort of DP we'll get. There are only a handful of players in the world that fit the bill, and none of them are coming here. That would take a player like Cristiano Ronaldo or Ronaldinho to get that level of exposure, and that's not happening.

Laurent Robert is about as recognizable as it comes for ex-European players at a profile we would likely land, and he didn't exactly propel us into the media spotlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not dreaming at all. I don't think it will take the best players in the world for sports channels to become interested in Canada. The momentum is already there. I think you underestimate the soccer intelligence and appetite in this country. Lots of my friends watch soccer but not MLS or Canadian Soccer. Ronaldo and Ronaldinho aren't necessary to achieve what I stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Interesting game of chicken.

There's more to this than the article says. Mo can just pass on McBride and keep the allocation, as there are almost certainly other valuable players still to come this year.

The key question - is/are the player(s) Mo/Carver have said TFC will acquire, already on our designated player list?

If not, we need that allocation. Mo may be looking at a 3-way deal with RSL, who have the next allocation after us. (That's what I inferred from the "Mo keeps making things complicated" line, anyway.) By acquiring RSL's allocation slot, Mo keeps his place in the allocation line by using our allocation for McBride and then trading McBride, but we'd get less from Chicago - Chicago would have to send something to both us and RSL. In this scenario, RSL would get more than we would.
    Well, to be honest, I don't see us needing the allocation this year. The allocation is most useful when dealing with returning USMNT players (who we don't want/they don't want to play here). Other than that, it deals with the situation where more than one team files papers on a player at the same time. Of course, this can be circumvented by using a discovery signing (and I think we still have a few left). Essentially, I don't the need for us to keep top allocation, considering how few pieces we have left to add to our team this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Well, to be honest, I don't see us needing the allocation this year. The allocation is most useful when dealing with returning USMNT players (who we don't want/they don't want to play here). Other than that, it deals with the situation where more than one team files papers on a player at the same time. Of course, this can be circumvented by using a discovery signing (and I think we still have a few left). Essentially, I don't the need for us to keep top allocation, considering how few pieces we have left to add to our team this year.
    Agreed. The problem with trading with the Fire is that they won't give up anything we want, like Mapp or Rolfe. Conde doesn't want to play here, and NYRB has nothing we want. There are very few players in the league that are worth while that teams will part with. Will more allocation and a draft pick be enough...McBride might not get the return we want for the improvement Chicago will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is a weird POV, but a strong Fire (aside from the fact we still have to play them) can actually help Toronto. Thanks to the MLS's weird playoff seeding, the more eastern teams beating up on the west, the better our playoff chances. I'd be happy to see McBride go to the fire for a 1st round draft pick + a little cash. (not a lot of cash, just enough to buy Eto'o, hehehe)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this aspect of Mo hogging the #1 Alocation with the obvious challenge of returning Americans that we up here don't care for. I think we're a couple years and a grass pitch away from being sure that Canadians abroad will retire here but hopefully that will be an advantage in the long term. I for one will give our DP some time regardless if I've heard of him and look for quality over shirt sales.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    Agreed. The problem with trading with the Fire is that they won't give up anything we want, like Mapp or Rolfe. Conde doesn't want to play here, and NYRB has nothing we want. There are very few players in the league that are worth while that teams will part with. Will more allocation and a draft pick be enough...McBride might not get the return we want for the improvement Chicago will see.
    NY does have money from Altidore, we do want money

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chicago fire...wussies...its deal or no deal...if they figure mcbride is not worth the price, try another club. way to go MO...Monty hall would be proud!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure when Mo took over an expansion team - and not even in the US - he got offered a lot of shitty deals, or was ignored completely by agents and GMs. He complained about being required to have a certain amount of Canadians and a few other things, but mostly he just went about building the team.

So now, yeah, they have to deal with him and he's going to be a hardass and do the best for his team. Good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McBride's wiki site was updated ... shows he's on Chicago for 2008. Was this an official wiki update? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_mcbride

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    The Fire can lick my wang. This isn't charity. It's business and Mo is playing the game they way it's supposed to be played.
    ""Mo needs to understand it's about doing the right thing," Klopas said. "Someone who has had a great career wants to finish in his hometown. He has to understand that."

Understand what? that The FIRE are a bunch of Wanking, crying Chav-parkies?

Take em for all they've got. or better yet, let another team get the rights to him, that will REALLY stick a wrench in their works.

lets face it, if MO had his way McBride would go to a WESTERN team. Blanco has proven a lot to handle on his own. . . and TFC dont need the Fire to have any more. . . umm. . . "FIREpower" so to sepak.

WALK ON!
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck you Chicago

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    Fuck you Chicago
    When I opened this thread, I had a very good idea that this article would get people going

Love it, fuck ShitCA-CAGO

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would we want to help Chicago this isn't a charity... Mo is only doing what any manager would do, get the best result for his club. This is a no brainer, I wonder what he's asking for..

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. Klopas' email address: fKlopas@chicago-fire.com

Banner at the next Chicago game: "Klopas is a whiner!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck you Klopas.

Atta boy Mo.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather Mo just dug his heels in and ended up fucking Chicago, McBride, and even ourselves.

The problem is, this mickey mouse league will find a way to get McBride to Shitcago whether we get a fair deal or not.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hold out, and send him to a WESTERN team.

WALK ON
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another reason to hate Chicago. Whiny supporters and whiny management.

Boo fucking hoo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chicago Tribune:Runaway McBride on radar but Toronto FC's asking price too high

But Toronto FC's asking price too high

FIRE BITS By Luis Arroyave June 18, 2008

When Brian McBride announced he was leaving England's Fulham to return to the United States, many assumed the Arlington Heights native already had a deal worked out with Major League Soccer that would allow him to play for his hometown Fire.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6450340.story

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One possible deal:

Solid player to T.O.
    Conde from Chicago to TFC to NY for even more allocation $$$$.
    Allocation $$$ used to sign striker from England.
    All looks good.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    hold out, and send him to a WESTERN team.

WALK ON
    Seconded !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    One possible deal:

Solid player to T.O.
    Conde from Chicago to TFC to NY for even more allocation $$$$.
    Allocation $$$ used to sign striker from England.
    All looks good.
    Striker from ENGLAND???

Are you fuckin kidding me.

ANYONE EXCEPT A PLAYER FOR ENGLAND.

SORRY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco2K View Post
    Striker from ENGLAND???

SORRY
    Scotland, then.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Striker from ENGLAND???

SORRY
    Yeah because those players we got from England, Dichio, Robert and Ricketts have done a real shitty job on this team, and so therefore, we should go to Fiji for our star center forward.

WHO THE F*CK CARES WHERE WE GET THE PLAYER FROM??? stop your whining and realize that wherever he comes from, Mo will get the right player.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Striker from ENGLAND???

SORRY
    You're gonna say Welsh, then I'm gonna say Dichio, Ricketts, Robinson, Robert(Ex Newcastle carver link)...
    We've shopped there because this is where are management has had experience in the past. IMO it hasn't hurt us. Anywhere we can get a good striker from I will be happy, be it England or wherever.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Mo needs to understand it's about doing the right thing," Klopas said. "Someone who has had a great career wants to finish in his hometown. He has to understand that."

After reading that, fuck the Chicago Fire. Yeah, lets not try and get the best deal for our team, we need to do the right thing for Chicago.