RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    how about this....

get TWO teams to play friendlies at the same time (neither one being TFC)

Imagine watching (just using teams that have been here in the past) Villa v. WestHam or RiverPlate v. Benfica.
    But I don't want to see those teams play each other. I want to see Toronto play.

Celtic played Benfica in the summer, tickets were $50 and the place wasn't very full at all.

People want to see their club play.

And I must say, it's nice to see so much common sense posting about friendlies - Braca playing in Dec...hmm interesting.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    Great idea, but the problem is then you have to pay for both teams, which means the tickets would be through the roof
    but people would pay (and it wouldn't be the $300 a season south end people buying it). Offer them first dibs, as that's only fair, and if they choose to pass on the tickets, sell them to someone else.

let's take a look over at our 'pals' in Montreal....

Bordeaux played a friendly with the Impact for the impact SSH, and then played the Trophée des Champions in montreal!!

now that's something BIG! Imagine if we could host something like that at BMO!!!!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post
    If the want to have a cash game, bring in two teams to play each other.

For example this year Valencia is playing Philly...why not bring Valnecia up here to play someone...like say Rangers or something.

2 International teams is a friendly I can live with. It also satisfies all growing the game stuff.

Having a real team come here in their pre-season and beat us is counter productive
    Yes, as a TFC fan, the Real Madrid thrashing was embarassing. If Madrid actually tried for the whole game they could easily have doubled the goal total. I don't really want to see my team have their asses handed to them, how good can that be for team morale, even if it is just a friendly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Mexico View Post
    Yes, as a TFC fan, the Real Madrid thrashing was embarassing. If Madrid actually tried for the whole game they could easily have doubled the goal total. I don't really want to see my team have their asses handed to them, how good can that be for team morale, even if it is just a friendly?

I really don't think its a huge impact to get your ass handed to you by the best players in thee world.

if you were on a non-pro soccer team and got to play and get BEATEN by TFC, would you be demoralized by getting beat by people you know are better or happy you got to play them? Personally, it would be the latter.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Mexico View Post
    I don't really want to see my team have their asses handed to them, how good can that be for team morale, even if it is just a friendly?
    and to be in cheered against while playing in your home field! That would add insult to injury.

and the Impact-Bordeax-Coup think I posted was to show that there's a compromise.
    have TFC play someone in a friendly when time allows (like near the WC break)
    and then have the friendly opponent play something meaningful.

The one thing about the MTL thing that bugs me, is now theres' a whole bunch of Girondins de Bordeaux support in Montreal, which makes me dislike them even more!!!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been in favour of the non TFC set-up.
    I see Toronto play all year, and if foreign clubs are gonna visit, I'd rather they not play TFC.
    Give Toronto a rest, and let the spectacle involve two other clubs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the criteria for a 'successful friendly' are as follows:

a) no TFC injuries (even if it means not playing)
    b) teams people actually care about
    c) a high quality of play involving the team's A-squad
    d) no schedule rearrangements that force TFC to play tired.

if those 4 items can be met, then I'm cool with a friendly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much money did the game with Real Madrid make for MLSE?

If there's money to be made in staging friendlies, they'll be staged. I'll betcha the majority of fans that showed up just to see RM are soccer fans who wouldn't even bother giving TFC and MLS the time of day (season ticket holders don't count, you understand).
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    How much money did the game with Real Madrid make for MLSE?
    I think it made enough money that we will see a similar friendly this year.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I'll betcha the majority of fans that showed up just to see RM are soccer fans who wouldn't even bother giving TFC and MLS the time of day.
    maybe of them were just 'Ronaldo Fans' or fans of the Portuguese National Team.
    People can attend for whatever reason they like, and it's not fair for us to judge their motivations,
    but you are right - most didn't leave the game with a desire to watch TFC play MLS games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and I'm just going to point out.....

It's very easy to be against friendlies until YOUR team shows up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like friendlies, I like to see the best teams face our own. We kept Benfica to a 0-0 tie, maybe they didn;t have there best guys out but it was still a good game.

It was only the RM that I regret it was nice to see them but horrible to see us. You would have thought that our GM (by the way he sucks and should get fired) would know where the changes would need to be made after watching this game. Well we suck vs other teams too. I think he's blind.

I like friendlies but also do wish they would be our off season games. Especially when our players have a chance to get injured.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely agree id rather have the friendlies before or after the season but sadly

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    this ain't Europe, and $ talks.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    I definitely agree id rather have the friendlies before or after the season but sadly

after the season = December
    before the season = March

both of which have a very high chance of... normal Canadian weather.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always good if your team gets to play the best competition possible.

It's especially good when they play other CONCACAF teams. Those are the teams they will have to beat when they eventually get into the CCL again. At least some of our players are good enough that some of them will eventually be around, even if this year is a washout.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's especially good when they play other CONCACAF teams. Those are the teams they will have to beat when they eventually get into the CCL again. At least some of our players are good enough that some of them will eventually be around, even if this year is a washout.

how about this..... if the team makes it into the group stages of concacaf, we'll have all types of extra games to play!!

I don't see Joe Public as a quality 'friendly' opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather have free beer vouchers instead of friendly tickets

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about this..... if the team makes it into the group stages of concacaf, we'll have all types of extra games to play!!

I don't see Joe Public as a quality 'friendly' opponent.
    No one said it would be Joe Public (I sure hope it wouldn't be). A decent Central American side would do.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fetajr View Post
    I would rather have free beer vouchers instead of friendly tickets
    Good side, you won't be worrying about how the team is playing!

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Today the Philly Union announced they will be playing Valencia in a mid season friendly later in the summer. And of course TFC will have at least one or more friendlies later this season as well I would guess.

I for one think this practice needs to stop. Friendlies in the North American context DO NOT WORK!

Pre season friendlies in Europe are used to tune up the club for the season ahead, just like the Carolina Challenge Cup. No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they? They know fans would not stand for it and would consider it nothing but a cash grab. It also has an impact on the competitive standing of the club with the risk of injuries being high in a meaningless match.

Remember the tail skid we went on after Ronnie O'Brien (arguably our best player at the time) went down against Aston Villa?

Since we operate on a different schedule than Europe this practice needs to end. Period.

Thoughts anyone?
    I dont think ML$E are ouuting on friendlies for TFC fans. It seems to be about finding 20,000 new mugs for a one off game at a bajillion dollars a ticket, while only having to pay a single team fee. We have grass for TFC matches now, because that's simpler than putting it in for a friendly each time, so there are some minor positive knock on effects for TFC.

Whether or not it's a good thing for TFC doesn't come into it. It's a good thing for ML$E.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we also used to get this included in our season pack, but they gouged us on the RM game. So they have options to throw us a crap friendly for free against a junk team, and charge us up the arse for a proper team. either way friendlies are are awesome to watch, and good tonic for the local club. I just dont want to pre-pay for any more crap, and would like a better "season ticket holder" price for a quality opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    didn't manu last season fly to dubai to have a friendly out there in janurary? could of sworn they have done it before.
    though i do agree with the principle of the message.
    Think Dubai does have a tournament every year or they did a few years back with 4 teams and the winner got something like $1 million

Think some of the teams that have gone in the past were Milan, Benfica, Hamburg, Marseillle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like it or not, the Real Madrid friendly was the biggest PR event for TFC to date, getting most of the GTA talking about the team for a few days. You can't buy that kind of publicity - never mind the fact the club profited from it.

There will be friendlies.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    Like it or not, the Real Madrid friendly was the biggest PR event for TFC to date, getting most of the GTA talking about the team for a few days. You can't buy that kind of publicity - never mind the fact the club profited from it.

um... yes they did. That's exactly what they did.

but yes, I agree it was a lot of positive press for the club, and I know it's important for the club to get good press (because it's not like their are many articles on them winning games)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um... yes they did. That's exactly what they did.

but yes, I agree it was a lot of positive press for the club, and I know it's important for the club to get good press (because it's not like their are many articles on them winning games)
    infact, i think the only TorontoFC news to gather anywhere near the same attention was the incident in Columbus, and it was anything but positive

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    infact, i think the only TorontoFC news to gather anywhere near the same attention was the incident in Columbus, and it was anything but positive
    we got a fair bit of new when we won the Voyagers Cup last year, if only because it was a national story and a 6-1 score is pretty uncommon.

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    That's right.

However there's a massive difference between a friendly against RM, United or Barca...and a friendly against Pachuco or Villa.

I'm not sure it's a fair argument to say...RM was a success therefore friendlies are a success. The RM game coupled with the GolTV launch was a once in a blue moon event.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post
    The RM game coupled with the GolTV launch was a once in a blue moon event.
    so once every 19 months? (on average, and yes, I'm just breaking your chops)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Today the Philly Union announced they will be playing Valencia in a mid season friendly later in the summer. And of course TFC will have at least one or more friendlies later this season as well I would guess.

I for one think this practice needs to stop. Friendlies in the North American context DO NOT WORK!

Pre season friendlies in Europe are used to tune up the club for the season ahead, just like the Carolina Challenge Cup. No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they? They know fans would not stand for it and would consider it nothing but a cash grab. It also has an impact on the competitive standing of the club with the risk of injuries being high in a meaningless match.

Remember the tail skid we went on after Ronnie O'Brien (arguably our best player at the time) went down against Aston Villa?

Since we operate on a different schedule than Europe this practice needs to end. Period.

Thoughts anyone?

i fully agree. these friendlies are just a waste of time and focus for our players, and they are not worth the risk of player injuries. sure they can be exciting when real madrid come to town... but its really not necessary.. i would rather see european clubs come here and play other european clubs in friendlies... just like back in 2004 when i went to see roma vs celtic... also liverpool and porto played each other.. as did other clubs came here to play... i fully agree they need to stop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point was they didn't have to BUY that kind of publicity - they made a shitload of money off it instead. Nobody cares about the GolTV launch outside hardcore soccer fans, my Mom asked me about the Real Madrid game.

My mom couldn't tell the difference between a soccer ball and a volleyball.

And I disagree that getting teams like RM in here is once in a blue moon event. All the big European clubs will be touring N. America trying to build their global fan base in the next decade in the new global economy. Isn't Manchester United supposed to be coming this year? Taste aside, they are certainly famous.