Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No More Friendlies!!!!!!!

Today the Philly Union announced they will be playing Valencia in a mid season friendly later in the summer. And of course TFC will have at least one or more friendlies later this season as well I would guess.

I for one think this practice needs to stop. Friendlies in the North American context DO NOT WORK!

Pre season friendlies in Europe are used to tune up the club for the season ahead, just like the Carolina Challenge Cup. No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they? They know fans would not stand for it and would consider it nothing but a cash grab. It also has an impact on the competitive standing of the club with the risk of injuries being high in a meaningless match.

Remember the tail skid we went on after Ronnie O'Brien (arguably our best player at the time) went down against Aston Villa?

Since we operate on a different schedule than Europe this practice needs to end. Period.

Thoughts anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they?
    Nope, but unfortunately this ain't Europe, and $ talks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Mo would get fired first before TFC stops with midseason friendlies
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by bgnewf
    No self respecting European club would ever schedule a friendly in the middle of a competitive season would they?

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    Nope, but unfortunately this ain't Europe, and $ talks.
    Yep they do, normally they are testimonials for players who have served for 10 years or so.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didn't manu last season fly to dubai to have a friendly out there in janurary? could of sworn they have done it before.
    though i do agree with the principle of the message.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree.
    Friendlies please.
    At least a break and we get to see some degree of quality.
    Plus, the game don't grow without them.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is a tier two league.

Just like the Leafs playing an exhibition game in Sweden would be good for hockey over there, strong teams playing here are good for MLS, it brings more credibility to the league and is good exposure for TFC (to help attract players)

In reality, if we want to be a championship team, we should have the depth and skill to be able to play one of these games and still be successful. Playing Barcelona didn't keep Seattle out of the playoffs.

I like the friendlies, maybe it will lead to a partnership, a loan deal or maybe our players will just learn a little more about how the game is played at a higher level.

Besides, the way our roster is shaping up, playing a friendly may be the only bright spot of the season for us.

Footnote - It's not like MLS is the only league that does this. I remember a few years back there was a charity match in madrid (I think) featuring Zidane and a host of top players at the time. It's part of promoting the game.
    Last edited by canadian_bhoy; 03-22-2010 at 11:01 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For competitive reasons it sucks but for every reason its completely worth it.

1. exposure
    2. money
    3. recognition
    etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing to add other than fire MO !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does every friggin thread that to include a "fire me" in some way.

we get it....you are pissed about him.

but lets not hijack every fucking thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the debate. Thanks all. But to me the competitive issue is key. In my eyes all else should become secondary to having the best product on the pitch competing for every league and cup game we are in. The risk of injury for nothing is too great to justify the cash grab and/or the exposure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

While I agree with the sentiment, there are a couple of benefits for friendlies:

- the players have an opportunity to compete against a top flight club. Gala's goal against Real Madrid will be something he will remember forever

- on a selfish note, it gives me as a soccer coach an opportunity to bring my team to a game. While not the same atmosphere, getting group tickets for a regular season MLS game is hard to do.

- depending on the team involved in the friendly, it does give supporters living abroad a chance to see "their" club (eg. Chelsea, Real Madrid, etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
    didn't manu last season fly to dubai to have a friendly out there in janurary? could of sworn they have done it before.
    though i do agree with the principle of the message.
    Are you thinking of the Club World Cup?

Some might argue those are friendlies . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one think this practice needs to stop. Friendlies in the North American context DO NOT WORK!
    How much money was made off of the Real Madrid friendly? Ya I think that worked for MLSE.

Barrett scores a bunch in friendlies so they work for him.

Gala scored againist Madrid. So I guess they work for him.

Friendlies are really the only time Edwards sees the field.

Realistically since the reserve league stopped reserves really never have the oppurtunity to play. See Edwards, Gala etc. They need to get some actual game time.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the debate. Thanks all. But to me the competitive issue is key. In my eyes all else should become secondary to having the best product on the pitch competing for every league and cup game we are in. The risk of injury for nothing is too great to justify the cash grab and/or the exposure.
    These are the reasons that I am not a big fan of the friendlies. I want to see the team do well in games that matter and friendlies offer the risk of injury.

However I also see friendlies as a way to promote the sport in our country and it also brings in other clubs that we can form relationships with.

I am fine with friendlies, just dont put the league games at risk, make sure they are played as a friendly (lots of subs, no nasty challenges) and hopefully we are able to have a reserve team that can play these types of games.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said before. If the squad is properly put together, it should be good enough to endure setbacks that occur during friendlies, poor referreeing, travel miles etc.

Also, I think the friendlies help (in a roundabout way) to make us more competitive. They create new relationships, new partnerships, new contacts that can (and should) lead to loans, signings, tactics, training techniques etc.

I'm not saying the injuries aren't a big concern, they have certainly hurt us before. But for the long term success of the club, the friendlies should be good for us.

And at the end of the day, It entertains the fans which should be top priority.

Another thing to note is that the player always rave about these matches. You never hear them complain about them. If there was anyone who's concern over these matches would be valid, it would be theirs. But they all seem thrilled with playing big opponents.
    Last edited by canadian_bhoy; 03-22-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, teams have friendlies in the middle of the seaon either during international breaks or during the christmas break.

I prefer them as we actually get to see quality players even if they are not 100%.

It is what it is

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams play friendlies during the season all the time, which has been mentioned above.

I hope our friendly this year is during that big break in June. Maybe a Saturday night game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deltox View Post
    does every friggin thread that to include a "fire me" in some way.

we get it....you are pissed about him.

but lets not hijack every fucking thread

What's interesting for me is that in a thread about how the marketing department and the drive for profits actually run the team, we're still obsessed with middle-management.

MLSE have a lot of problems, but we never seem to care or want any substansive change - we're happy to rearrange the deck chairs as the ship goes down...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about this....

get TWO teams to play friendlies at the same time (neither one being TFC)

Imagine watching (just using teams that have been here in the past) Villa v. WestHam or RiverPlate v. Benfica.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

olegunnar

If the want to have a cash game, bring in two teams to play each other.

For example this year Valencia is playing Philly...why not bring Valnecia up here to play someone...like say Rangers or something.

2 International teams is a friendly I can live with. It also satisfies all growing the game stuff.

Having a real team come here in their pre-season and beat us is counter productive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    how about this....

Imagine watching (just using teams that have been here in the past) Villa v. WestHam or RiverPlate v. Benfica.

Great idea, but the problem is then you have to pay for both teams, which means the tickets would be through the roof

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I like that idea.

From a business standpoint though, it means a lower cut for our club.

That might be a dirty thing to say... profit... but I'm curious. Isn't it a good thing that the club is profitable (at reasonable ticket prices)?

If it were a money losing investment, we wouldn't have grass. Frankly, we wouldn't have a team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City played in Abu Dhabi in November, and played Barca (and won!) in a friendly a couple weeks into the season.

(And don't bother any jabs about 'self-respecting', thank you very much.)

I'm mixed about the mid-season friendlies. I enjoy them, but see the risk. When you look at the shit we're going to be watching all season, though, it's going to be supporters that need a break, not the players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have no issues with MLSE lining up two teams to compete at BMO to make money and promote the game...as long as TFC is not involved.

I don't see having a big club playing against TFC as promoting the club or sport. In fact i think it does a disservice as it reinforces the notion that TFC (and MLS by extention) is a minor league not worthy of attention. I personally have never met anyone who became a fan of the club because of atending a friendly match but i have heard people disparage the club because of it. It's just a simple cash grab for euro snobs, tourists who want to see a big name and TFC "supporters" who don't understand the meaning of the word (yes, i said it).

This on top of the risk of injury (and let's face it, it happens quite often) and the loss of focus for the task at hand (namely making the playoffs) have me opting out on these matches and i'll voice that opinion loud and proud until MLSE finally see the light.

olegunnar

how about this....

I agree...but I think the problem is...MLSE would have to pay 2 appearance fees.
    If we use "our" team as the Washington Generals...it's "free".

edit: Man I type slow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure they do.

real madrid played on in January

http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satelli...ite_Tirana.htm

Barca played one in december

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/engli...cb/partit.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm torn on these too.. hopefully someday as MLS expands we'll have more league games... and if the national championship expands, we'll have more of those games too. then we just won't have any room at all for friendlies.

i'm not concerned with the injury thing tho... just because a guy gets injured in a friendly isn't a criticism of friendlies. he could have got injured in the shower the next day... or in a regular league game... or on international duty... or in practice against some CSL punks. You can't say "no friendlies" just for risk reduction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about this....

^^^^ Yes, yes and YES.

Best of both worlds, everyone is happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Like I said before. If the squad is properly put together, it should be good enough to endure setbacks that occur during friendlies, poor referreeing, travel miles etc.

Also, I think the friendlies help (in a roundabout way) to make us more competitive. They create new relationships, new partnerships, new contacts that can (and should) lead to loans, signings, tactics, training techniques etc.

I'm not saying the injuries aren't a big concern, they have certainly hurt us before. But for the long term success of the club, the friendlies should be good for us.

And at the end of the day, It entertains the fans which should be top priority.

Another thing to note is that the player always rave about these matches. You never hear them complain about them. If there was anyone who's concern over these matches would be valid, it would be theirs. But they all seem thrilled with playing big opponents.
    I agree. they might not be ideal for the short term (ie. injuries), but long-term they are by far worth it.