Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gerba Released

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I'd be nice to have him around for a 150-200k price but I'm keeping my expectations low: the timing and opportunity (Canadian with skill) just seem too perfect. If we do sign him, do we still need a DP striker or will he do?
    for sure we still need a DP striker. Gerba would be a backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    i doubt he is better the cuny...cunny has been getting a rough ride on these boards...none of them deserved...hea a great player and we need him.
    Are you crazy?! Gerba not better than Cunny?!
    Gerba= regularly plays on the national squad. Cunny?
    Besides in the few times I've seen Gerba play, he doesn't stand around, esp. on penalty kicks...
    I like Cunny as a videographer. lol Maybe we could trade CV2 and keep Cunny for TFC tv.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Are you crazy?! Gerba not better than Cunny?!
    Gerba= regularly plays on the national squad. Cunny?
    Besides in the few times I've seen Gerba play, he doesn't stand around, esp. on penalty kicks...
    I like Cunny as a videographer. lol Maybe we could trade CV2 and keep Cunny for TFC tv.

but Gerba is only the Canadian national team...its not like were talking brazil here, Canada takes anyone who can kick a ball. Cunny has 99 league goals,Gerba?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cunny has done more at equal or higher levels than gerba.

although cunny's scoring rate has dropped off in the past 12 months, so he's not worth $250K. But that doesn't mean gerba is worth 250K or even 150K.. and it doesn't mean we should stop our search with gerba. personally I think TFC can do better than cunny and gerba in the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but Gerba is only the Canadian national team...its not like were talking brazil here, Canada takes anyone who can kick a ball. Cunny has 99 league goals,Gerba?
    Gerba is also younger and has more international goals than Cunny if you want to spin it that way.
    Also ofcoarse Gerba has 0 league goals, he hasn't played in MLS.

Lastly, Cunny seems to be out only forhimself and not the team. I think that was quite obvious during his interview on TFC TV. If the cap was higher, sure it would be nice to have both, but the reality is it's not at the moment.

I don't think Gerba is DP material.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Gerba is a better solution at present than Cunny. Cunny played with the most amount of fire that we've seen all season against the rapids because he wanted 100. He didn't get it and missed some absolute sitters with the head. Gerba is better now. I can't compare their early careers because I didn't follow MLS. How anyone could think Cunny is good and watch all his games is really beyond me. He plays like U-12. Everytime someone passes it he runs straight and hopes it gets past defenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt he is better the cuny...cunny has been getting a rough ride on these boards...none of them deserved...hea a great player and we need him.

I like Cunny, and I have not been giving him a hard time, but from what I have seen Gerba is better, he is quicker at taking a shot, he has a better shot, and is stronger positionaly an physicaly then Cunny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    I think Gerba is a better solution at present than Cunny. Cunny played with the most amount of fire that we've seen all season against the rapids because he wanted 100. He didn't get it and missed some absolute sitters with the head. Gerba is better now. I can't compare their early careers because I didn't follow MLS. How anyone could think Cunny is good and watch all his games is really beyond me. He plays like U-12. Everytime someone passes it he runs straight and hopes it gets past defenders.

That is exactly right, that is how he plays, and what the style in the MLS was untill now. Gerba has more tools in his arsenal , and should be better suited to the Euopean style game we play.
    Last edited by trane; 06-17-2008 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we got the money I say make him an offer and keep Cunny too. Let them battle it out for a spot with Dichio. The competition might make them both better. If a DP comes along, then they might have to look at cutting somebody loose. Until then why not try to have them all.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali Gerba is an enigma at the club level, which is the only thing that scares me. However, he's the type of player that gives it his all when he steps on the pitch, which is a far cry from the mindset Cunningham has, and his drive to perform and ability to score crucial goals (at least at the international level) would benefit us greatly. He seems to capitalize on most of the chances that are presented to him when he plays for Canada, but as I said before, this success has not translated to the club level. He has never stuck with a club for more than two years, which is obviously not a good stat for a striker, and his strike rate at the club level is less than impressive.

It's really hard for anyone to say, with certainty, that we will see the Canadian international Gerba, and not the club level Gerba. Anyone throwing around DP with Gerba, should re-consider what they are saying. It's really hard for any of us to look at the situation and judge it well, because we simply have not seen enough of him. Those who are Canadian soccer fans, have seen the best of Gerba, but there are always two sides to a player. And whether we will see the good, or the bad Gerba, is the question that Mo and JC have to ask themselves before they consider him.

Let's put it at, I'm skeptical of Gerba. I'm not as sold on him as everyone seems to be.
    Last edited by Keyman; 06-17-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh no DP.
    Trial and sign at a reasonable fee but no DP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    He would probably be a good pickup, but would once again leave us short on international dates. When Canada plays, Gerba plays.

When Canada Plays...Gerba plays??? What Canadian Team are you watching...Gerba has probably only been named to half of the Canadian squads at best over the last couple years. We have a few decent strikers that could top him.....Bob Friend and Ian Hume name two off the top of my head.

Mo Johnson looked at Gerba when he was released last winter and didn't sound like he wanted him...what has he done differently now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Razcle View Post
    When Canada Plays...Gerba plays??? What Canadian Team are you watching...Gerba has probably only been named to half of the Canadian squads at best over the last couple years. We have a few decent strikers that could top him.....Bob Friend and Ian Hume name two off the top of my head.

Mo Johnson looked at Gerba when he was released last winter and didn't sound like he wanted him...what has he done differently now?
    So he plays half of Canada's games. That's still a handful of games that TFC doesn't have him if we signed him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    cunny has done more at equal or higher levels than gerba.
    Umm....

Cunningham - International Appearances (11)
    - Goals (0)

Gerba - International Appearances (17)
    - Goals (7)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhh.. Could be a decent bench player, but we need a top class finisher.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its canada national team...not the team canada crap thats for the hockey losers
    Dont be a fucking prick. It doesnt matter what he calls them, ignorant asshole.

LOL wow, that post explains everything. You're retarded.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada doesnt take anyone who can kick a ball, dont be an idiot and insult your national team.

Obviously Gerba has no goals, he's never played in the league! Ugh. Cristiano Ronaldo has 0 league goals, whereas Cunny has 99. Using your logic Cunny is better player.

You dont watch the games do you? Anyone who does, sees that Cunny is no good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, tactically without financial considerations here, Gerba for Cunningham would be a no brainer.

Cunningham is not a better player, in any shape or form. He's older, he doesnt understand the game at the level MLS has risen to, he fails far too often and wastes incredible plays.

Gerba would fill a domestic canadian slot and provide way more options up front.

Now if he'd do it for Cunny's salary is another matter.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I doubt he has more talent than Cunny, to be honest, but at this point, I'd rather have him than Cunny, who's proven he's a useless twat.

I defended Cunny a lot last year, but he's constantly disappointed me to the extent that now he's my least favourite player on TFC. The penalty in Columbus, the lack of effort in games, the cluelessness when it comes to interacting with his midfielders, the selfishness of his play. All of these things have worked to erode my faith in him. He's scored two timely goals for us this season, but he's missed a shitload of chances he should have buried.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I'm almost at the point where I'd rather see Lombardo over Cunny, atleast Lombardo tries!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Now if he'd do it for Cunny's salary is another matter.
    Yep, only problem. I really think Gerba is being underrated here. He comes to TFC, he's no bench player, he starts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if it’s fair to say Gerba is better than Cunningham, particularly from the club perspective. I think Gerba is more in keeping with what TFC are looking for at the striker position - a dynamic and powerful player (or put simply a faster version of Dichio).

Right now Cunningham is in decline and seems more focussed on scoring from the perspective of his quest for 100 goals than anything else. It’s difficult to say how Gerba would see playing with TFC - a great opportunity to play at home or a poor substitute for Europe. It’s a gamble I think TFC should take, but to say Gerba’s CV is miles better than Cunningham’s is unfair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cunny has used up all his finish and I don't know what you guys are watching but Ali Gerba is CONCACAF's Milan Baros He plays so well for his country but sucks for his club. Still I'd love to see him get a shot here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok Gerba has decent game, let's see if he's willing to pull his head out of his ass to come here at this point.

This guy wanted 300k to play for us last time he was a free agent. Let's see what his better judgement says now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo needs to give him a shot even if just through obligation, and there definitely should be an obligation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerba >>> Cunny. Not that Gerba is the ultimate striker but he is most definitely an improvement over Cunny. He is younger, better shape physically and mentally and he's Canadian. We would still need a DP striker but Gerba would make a great depth striker none the less.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Ok Gerba has decent game, let's see if he's willing to pull his head out of his ass to come here at this point.

This guy wanted 300k to play for us last time he was a free agent. Let's see what his better judgement says now.
    MLSE is loaded. Honestly, give him 300k for the rest of the year and see what he does. That's nothing really, and it's a short term investment. People are acting like TFC is on a budget (other than the salary cap).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC-Tyler View Post
    MLSE is loaded. Honestly, give him 300k for the rest of the year and see what he does. That's nothing really, and it's a short term investment. People are acting like TFC is on a budget (other than the salary cap).
    Because of the cap, that's exactly what we are under.

We have to fit him under our cap.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Because of the cap, that's exactly what we are under.

We have to fit him under our cap.
    And 300k for the reast of the year fits under the cap I believe...

And if I'm mistaken, bye bye Cunny, Gerba is better than him, thats a fact to anyone who knows anything about soccer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cunny earns around 200 or so i believe. I think you are right we do have probably close to 300k in space. While we don't want to leave it idle, maybe we've got some signings in the works or ideas how to fill it.

We could pay him 300k, but i honestly believe we could get away with starting him out for less.