Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gerba Released

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gerba Released

The Canadian Ali Gerba will no longer play a role (with the club). The contract of the Canadian international was not extended. Gartner (FCI Sports Director) "The decision was very difficult to make but we are searching for a different type of striker."

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/2bundesliga/startseite/artikel/207419/

I want him on TFC. I think he would would be a potent scorer in this league. If we can manage to get him and a DP and lose Cunny, I will be a happy man.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be nice to see him here,he is probably better than Cunny.
    26 years old,a least bring him to tryouts Mo.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be time to give him a go. I can't speak for his club play but Gerba's scored as much for Canada this year as Cunny has for TFC. And Gerba may improve with age whereas Cunny is almost ready to call it a career...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I have seen of him, he is way better then cunnigham, and is just shy of the quality needed to play in Europe, so he he would be a got target for the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say do it up!
    But is he DP $$$ worthy?
    That's the question...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not DP worthy but he deserves a good offer. More team Canada playing together please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a link to his wiki page, for those interested. For the most part he has had a good strike rate evrywere he has played. But he has always played in relatively weak leagues. In Sweden, he was with a top club, but while Sweden has some great players few play in Sweden, and hence it is not the strongest of leagues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Gerba

Still I have seen him play and I think he would be a quality striker in the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to see him here.
    No harm in extending a trail offer to him.
    Trade Cunny for $$$ and then sign Gerba for the same price virtually?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very much the sort of player we should look at, even if it' for depth on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why does he keep playing so few games at many different teams?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think he gets over-hyped. Then once he's on the field, the teams realize he's not as good as they thought.

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    why does he keep playing so few games at many different teams?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets just say he is definetely on the TFC radar. Nick Dasovic has been working with him for the last 3 weeks, watching him net two against St.Vinny. How good was that hire by Mo? How good are our drafts? Mo is the man. Daryl Roberts, Joseph Lapira...guys that may not make it in Europe's highlest level, but might develop into guys for MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta say im skeptical but the fact he performs consistently for Canada does make you turn your head. Give him a trial and let Mo and JC decide. They do know whats best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta say ill be a little bit surprised if he doesnt turn up for a trial (unless of course hes headed to another team in Europe)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bet is he wants to make it in europe. He's tried enough times that he looks determined. I really think he would do well in this league. What people keep overlooking is the hardship North American players have in making it. Clubs prefer europeans. In europe, if you mess up, you are gone, especailly if you are foreign. Look what happened to Rohan Ricketts and he's british. Its easy to get cut. I think he has a lot of promise. He's 25. Lets try that again 25. Full international. Scores in bunches. Poacher. He would be way more effective than Cunny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no way in hell he is DP money. I wouldn't pay him any more than 200K to come play for us. That is obviously because of our salary cap restrictions, but as I said last year, I think he could be a favourable addition to this club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we could get him. I'd hope Dasovic is talking to him but Gerba seems destined in Europe. Not only that, but he can probably make a good deal more money over there.
    But man I'd love to see Gerba in a TFC kit.

olegunnar

Interesting timing on the release

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would probably be a good pickup, but would once again leave us short on international dates. When Canada plays, Gerba plays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why interesting timing...the german season is over. No point in holding on to him. Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    Why interesting timing...the german season is over. No point in holding on to him. Am I missing something?
    Perhaps that the North American transfer window opened 2 days ago AND MLS does not like paying transfer fees?

olegunnar

I'm just saying most players know they'll be released at the end of the season, so basically end of April or the first week in May. For example Huckerby was released May 9th. The last Bundesliga 2 game was a month ago, May 18th. These aren't spur of the moment decisions.

Now, right when the MLS transfer window opens up suddenly Gerba is released and would be available for free. It's like how Ricketts got released when we wanted him.

If we had no part in this, then why wasn't he released at the end of the season rather than right when we're capable of signing him.

That's the thinking. Nothing concrete, just saying the timing raises interesting talking points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunner View Post
    I'm just saying most players know they'll be released at the end of the season, so basically end of April or the first week in May. For example Huckerby was released May 9th. The last Bundesliga 2 game was a month ago, May 18th. These aren't spur of the moment decisions.

Now, right when the MLS transfer window opens up suddenly Gerba is released and would be available for free. It's like how Ricketts got released when we wanted him.

If we had no part in this, then why wasn't he released at the end of the season rather than right when we're capable of signing him.

That's the thinking. Nothing concrete, just saying the timing raises interesting talking points.
    Nice insight. Didn't think of it that way. This was also in the post at the voyageur board.

The decision probably has something to do with Ingolstadt signing former Czech international striker Vratislav Lokvenc from C Basel. Gerba scored 4 goals in 15 games with Ingolstadt this year.

I'm trying to find when this guy signed with Ingolstadt.

Edit: Lokvenc was signed yesterday. I think they liked Gerba but this guy was their better option. Look for Gerba to sign in Europe again
    Last edited by DigzTFC!; 06-17-2008 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    Perhaps that the North American transfer window opened 2 days ago AND MLS does not like paying transfer fees?
    what's the deal with the window.. I see June 15 on the MLS site, but then today in Steve Goff's blog Frankie Yallop is quoted as saying July 15.

"Hopefully, come July 15 [when the transfer window opens], there are some new players to add to our team and that will give us a bit more consistency," Frank Yallop said.
    Last edited by rocker; 06-17-2008 at 09:36 AM.

MUFC_Niagara

haha...ya u missed something ^^^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

36 goals in 100+ USL games through 2005 and then 13 goals in 50+ games in Scandanavia/lower tier Germany are not exactly stellar numbers. Saw him play in person in the friendly game versus Costa Rica and he looked good. Would be nice to get him on the team for depth, but to be honest Samuel seemed similar but more talented.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Not DP worthy but he deserves a good offer. More team Canada playing together please!

its canada national team...not the team canada crap thats for the hockey losers

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    From what I have seen of him, he is way better then cunnigham, and is just shy of the quality needed to play in Europe, so he he would be a got target for the MLS.
    i doubt he is better the cuny...cunny has been getting a rough ride on these boards...none of them deserved...hea a great player and we need him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be nice to have him around for a 150-200k price but I'm keeping my expectations low: the timing and opportunity (Canadian with skill) just seem too perfect. If we do sign him, do we still need a DP striker or will he do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    haha...ya u missed something ^^^^
    Welcome to the conversation. Nice contribution. Any further insights are welcomed