Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I look at it this way. It's better for Preki to fool around with the line up and see how our newbies look against pretty much the starting 11 for NYRB in a pre season match then against them in a regular season match-up. Did we get spanked...yeah...but the last time I checked every club in the MLS was at 0-0-0 pts. 0.
    I'm no Polly Anna Sunshine but you do have to take away from something like this is that Preki is looking to see not what gaps need to be filled but who will fill them and how this club works together. I'm sure he was pleased with the FCD match and saw alot to be happy about. The NYRB match was to see, 'what would happen if....'
    It's best to expose these problems early before the season starts rather than come to terms with them in the middle of July.
    Just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay...we got smoked, not making any excuses, but if you look at the back 4.

1st half: Gargan-Garcia-Harden-Joesph
    1st half: Wynne-Gomez-Harden(Gala)-Joesph

When you put together a back 4 who haven't played together, you will run into problems. Along with Nick "I am slower than Jason Allison" Garcia, you start from a disadvantage. I hope only at MOST one of those players listed is a starter this year. If there is more than one player (Wynne) who is starting, we are in trouble.

Mikey

Oh well, I guess you can't make chicken Salad out of chicken shit even if it is still technically chicken.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Red card was to JDG, for a very late challenge from behind on Angel. JDG gave the ball away to Angel with an awful pass to nowhere, and then tried to make up for it with a stupid tackle from his back. I think JDG already had a yellow from earlier, but this was a straight red.
    Maybe it should have been a straight red, but the ref actually showed a second yellow before he showed the red.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Maybe it should have been a straight red, but the ref actually showed a second yellow before he showed the red.
    Funny, I thought I saw the 2nd yellow being flashed as well, but Luke Wileman (on the TFC website) and some of the NY articles are reporting otherwise. Anyway, no big deal, same result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    the question is .....Is Preki in Moes' back pocket or willing to risk changes? because if this is just Moes last kick of the can.....maybe a strike(sic) would be a blessing, some time for all involved to decide wether or not they are going to seriously commit to being a long term franchise of strength and get serious instead of playing at look at me I'm a soccer executive. TFC Represent your sweater and City ..... your supporters show you how every game.....we deserve better

No, a strike would be the worst possible thing. MLSE aren't going to make any decisions during a strike (unless they start thinking about getting out of MLS and dumping soccer).

Look, the decision was made last year and now it plays out - the team makes the playoffs this year or management is changed. Once MLSE made that agreement they'll stick to it.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or is this pre-season humming along just like the previous 3?

Couple guys come in on trial, a couple of secondary signings, new coach tweaking with the line-up and not a lot of success.

I hope that we don't have the revolving door roster this season and we really need to strengthen up in the forwards department.

I hope I'm wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing these labour negotiations have shown is that not many players with a choice would come here. The low salaries are one thing, but the way the league is owned and managed is probably a big factor, too.

So, yes, unless there are some real improvements to the CBA (which look unlikely) we're going to see the revolving door of secondary signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The on-field product of this league has to improve. How ever you wanna cut it, there has to be better football or the interest won't be sustainable.

That game last night might well have been pre-season (and we are not a very good side to begin with) but, it was total and absolute shit football.

Like really, really bad. The first time I have ever considered turning a TFC match off.

AND another thing... I hope Preki tore a fucking strip off those boys last night something fierce. Pre season or not, trialist or starter I don't give a shit! They were wearing the shirt of TFC last night and it was another embarrassment
    Last edited by Pigfynn; 02-28-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Pigfynn" lets not get carried away now this was a preseason game you were watching with bad camera work, with no play by play in a tiny stadium, all this does not make the game look very appealing and top it all off our team gets beat pretty bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    "Pigfynn" lets not get carried away now this was a preseason game you were watching with bad camera work, with no play by play in a tiny stadium, all this does not make the game look very appealing and top it all off our team gets beat pretty bad.

That's a very interesting point. I was thinking the same, wondering if the game looked so poor in part because I was used to watching football on TV with all the bells and whistles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL... give it all the bells and whistles you want... still won't change the fact that it looked like a highschool team. absolute garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Meh, I've wasted enough time watching pre-season MLS soccer to know that sometimes the form is downright terrible (not just TFC).

Credit to RBNY, they came to camp well before every other team in MLS and they rolled us like it was nobody's business. If it works for them it will carry over to the regular season but the TFC team they play at that point will look like (and play like) nothing we saw today.

I'll be the first person to backup the bus and run over mo johnston again, but we know nothing about how we are going to play this year as of yet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    No, a strike would be the worst possible thing. MLSE aren't going to make any decisions during a strike (unless they start thinking about getting out of MLS and dumping soccer).

Look, the decision was made last year and now it plays out - the team makes the playoffs this year or management is changed. Once MLSE made that agreement they'll stick to it.
    Yes good sense, I'm just feelin nervous, esp starting all over again next year, how many would stand for it, and we would be showing cracks in what was once a prosperous franchise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tolerance level for shit football this season will be minimal I think.Preki needs to get off to a decent start th 1st 2 months imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has TFC ever played a good preseason game? All the ones of seen, limited to be honest, have been terrible.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Has TFC ever played a good preseason game? All the ones of seen, limited to be honest, have been terrible.
    The Charleston Cup games have generally been decent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    The Charleston Cup games have generally been decent.
    Hopefully they will have a bit more character in Charleston....esp if some fans are putting forth the effort to be there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Bull players pretty upset about the challenge by JDG.

"It shouldn't happen," Angel said. "The ball was far off. It was a stupid tackle. Hopefully, there's nothing serious, especially from a player that with his experience. I'm sure he didn't mean it, but it shouldn't happen."

Backe said a "player like that should have a little bit more respect. When you can't reach the ball, there is no way to go for that kind of kick."

Needless to say, Angel's teammates were not too happy about the foul and injury.

"It's probably a good thing I wasn't on the field," said Petke, who had been substituted by then. "It probably would have been my first red card.

"It just thought it was a combination of them being frustrated and an average player putting a horrible tackle on a good player. Uncalled for."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    You see? and now we have to take that shit^^^ because they smoked us. If we had won it would be just sour grapes but because of how it went down, they say DeGuzman is an "average player" as an obvious dis and we really are in no position to say shit about it. This is why every game counts...pre season or not.

Fucking redbulls
    Angel was still pretty classy with his response but it must have been a bad tackle for him to call it stupid. Like you say, not much we can do about Petke's comment, it was a pretty good stinger though !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, when you see a game and say "boy, I wish we had Dickov," that shows some serious shortcomings.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    Angel was still pretty classy with his response but it must have been a bad tackle for him to call it stupid. Like you say, not much we can do about Petke's comment, it was a pretty good stinger though !
    Exactly.....Is our team losing respect.....hopefuly not, Remember teams love coming in here and quietening the crowd, just to diss us....hopefully JDG, you change your atitude, and hurt them on the field

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

geez, a guy makes a mistake in a game in spring training where he's trying to get his fitness together and get his timing back after a long offseason and some of ya are making it into some big controversy.

it's not the end of the world.

spring training is the time to get that sloppiness out of yer play and get tuned up for the season.

I remember Serioux making shitloads of errors last spring and everyone was raking him over the coals... and then he was perhaps the team's best player for the first part of the season until he started dealing with injuries. but everyone was like "ohhh no, he's a red card waiting to happen now!!!"... but it was just Adrian working on getting his timing and fitness back. when the games mattered, he was ready.
    Last edited by rocker; 03-01-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    I look at it this way. It's better for Preki to fool around with the line up and see how our newbies look against pretty much the starting 11 for NYRB in a pre season match then against them in a regular season match-up. Did we get spanked...yeah...but the last time I checked every club in the MLS was at 0-0-0 pts. 0.
    I'm no Polly Anna Sunshine but you do have to take away from something like this is that Preki is looking to see not what gaps need to be filled but who will fill them and how this club works together. I'm sure he was pleased with the FCD match and saw alot to be happy about. The NYRB match was to see, 'what would happen if....'
    It's best to expose these problems early before the season starts rather than come to terms with them in the middle of July.
    Just saying.
    That's the same attitude I had coming out of this game. I'd rather get spanked now, and let Preki fix things up, than get spanked during the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like i said i think this might be Preki giving Garcia a chance to show his worth, if he cant do it now, its not likely he will be playing regularly come the regular season (sweet fuck i hope thats the case)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    like i said i think this might be Preki giving Garcia a chance to show his worth, if he cant do it now, its not likely he will be playing regularly come the regular season (sweet fuck i hope thats the case)
    Who else do we have on the team to replace him?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Who else do we have on the team to replace him?
    some of the trialists/youth, i really dont see us going into this season without signing at least one more CB

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know of a replay of the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    some of the trialists/youth, i really dont see us going into this season without signing at least one more CB
    That's my point: we don't really have a solid CB to replace Garcia. Youth players shouldn't command the defence on any team - even if it is the MLS. We need an experienced veteran - and though Garcia may have the experience, he just doesn't have the skill or speed for this league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else think it's a bit odd that there have been absolutely no post-game comments, interviews, or videos posted on the TFC website after the NY game? No interviews with any players or coaches, no highlight -- or more likely lowlight reels, etc...?