Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc88 View Post
    I don't worship 'it' artists by any means. Lately, I'm into dirty house, progressive, trance and electro, which I realize is not most people's cup of tea. I think many can admit though, that aside frpm radio overplaying songs to death, and shows like the Hills rotting people's brains, a lot of these new pop songs actually have cool, catchy beats.
    You might think that but its till just your opinion about music. I think the song is boring, empty, repetetive and derivitive and I think many would agree.

Different strokes for different folks but nobody is a loser because they dont follow popular music trends.

tfc88

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    You might think that but its till just your opinion about music. I think the song is boring, empty, repetetive and derivitive and I think many would agree.

Different strokes for different folks but nobody is a loser because they dont follow popular music trends.

quite right which is why i stated that in my first post, so i hope noone get's it twisted..

the reason i called ppl losers in the first msg was because they spend so much time on here i think they lose touch with reality, not pop culture. i think a lot of ppl on here come off as narrow minded. but hey i'm sure i come off that way too, and frankly i couldn't care to come on here and try and prove otherwise so i guess i'll have to let ppl think what they want.

even so, i'm a self-admitted loser so nothing wrong with that right
    all that really matters to me is when i'm hanging out on game day ppl enjoy chillin with me n gettin pissed..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love that song! Happy with the choice.
    That was the first time I saw the video..... anybody else notice that Kardinal Offishall and Ben Harper (i think) were in the video?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post

I agree with you. Pure shite, IMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. So that's who she is. And here's me thinking it was the other famous Estelle. Raymond Domenech's girlfriend. The one he proposed to after the loss to Italy.

As long as I get my half-time piss in before you'se do and get my second half beer ordered before you'se do, it's all good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I like Estelle. That song is huge in Europe. Everyone has their own preferences and there's no way that you're going to please over 20,000 people!

Agreed, it would be wicked if Kanye made an appearance though!!

I'll be jammin' in my seat! Ha ha ha ha!!!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm almost speechless that the league is choosing Estelle over, get this - a local Canadian artist or group. Crazy talk, I know!

But the more I think about it, the more I don't like the direction MLS is going in general. This is a few days or so after Rooney is told by a league rep that he doesn't think we should be hearing one of our more colourful chants. As for the All-Star game, just think about the premise for a second here. We've got an English R&B artist singing American Boy, in Toronto for the halftime show. I've heard Estelle and while her style isn't particularly my cup o' tea, just the fact of choosing her over a Canadian artist like K-os really gets to me. The All-Star match is in itself a way to showcase our city and country, but it seems to me like the league has other plans.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really is unreasonable to expect the league to cater to Canada, unfortunately. They are still primarily an American league and they need to target their principal audience, who are Americans. This may be a good way to get people who might not normally do so to tune into the game.

I know we all like to think the world revolves around us but really, it's just an all-star game. It's not supposed to be taken too seriously.

PS. I think it was brought up already, but wasn't Lenny Kravitz the half time show for the Grey Cup last year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya lenny did the grey cup.. he was awesome.

i just think we should have a real star... not some fluke chick who will be forgotten in a year.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    It really is unreasonable to expect the league to cater to Canada, unfortunately. They are still primarily an American league and they need to target their principal audience, who are Americans. This may be a good way to get people who might not normally do so to tune into the game.

I know we all like to think the world revolves around us but really, it's just an all-star game. It's not supposed to be taken too seriously.

PS. I think it was brought up already, but wasn't Lenny Kravitz the half time show for the Grey Cup last year?
    I don't see why its unreasonable for the league to bring in a local and relevent artist for the All-Star match. The whole point of having the match played at differing venues is to expose both the sport and the city. I acknowledge that most of the audience members are American MLS fans, but having a local artist for the half-time show is not unreasonable in the slightest.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is this young lady I know who is hinting that she wants to go to the All-Star game with me.
    But when she asks about it, she calls it the game that Estelle is performing at!
    I had offered to take her to the Pachuca game and she declined simply because she didn't want to, and yet she thinks I might take her to the All-Star???

No Chance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I don't see why its unreasonable for the league to bring in a local and relevent artist for the All-Star match. The whole point of having the match played at differing venues is to expose both the sport and the city. I acknowledge that most of the audience members are American MLS fans, but having a local artist for the half-time show is not unreasonable in the slightest.
    Should have gotten the SNOWMAN for a nice HT jam.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oasis would have been the only proper choice....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    The Following is a list of acts that would have been more appropriate than "Estelle"

Arcade Fire
    Attack in Black
    Billy Talent
    Die Mannequin
    Finger Eleven
    Hostage Life
    Hot Hot Heat
    Kardinal Offishall
    MSTRKRFT
    Mobile
    Sam Roberts
    Social Code
    Tokyo Police Club

feel free to add, i think this could be a reeeeeeeeeally long list
    Sounds good to me, I'm from the US and I like 8 of them, I've seen 4 of them at concert in the US, so they have atleast some US support/appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvv View Post
    In other news, Lenny Kravitz played the 2007 Grey Cup a week later....
    I heard an interview with somebody on the radio a few days before the game, organizers tried to book several Canadian Acts, but they either had other commitments or had a short break and coudn't get their equipment here in time.

Quote Originally Posted by O_B_ONE View Post
    Personally, I like Estelle. That song is huge in Europe. Everyone has their own preferences and there's no way that you're going to please over 20,000 people!
    I heard the song 1 time before I went to england for 2 weeks and heard it about 20 more times. I'd say it's overplayed rather than huge, but that's just me. I can also name about a half dozen acts from Toronto that I would rather see (mostly from the list above), and I'm from the US. MLS probably could have saved some money too (and maybe got a better opponant. )
    Last edited by jaahuuu; 07-07-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post

i just think we should have a real star... not some fluke chick who will be forgotten in a year.
    shes been popular in the uk for just under the last decade..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    There is this young lady I know who is hinting that she wants to go to the All-Star game with me.
    But when she asks about it, she calls it the game that Estelle is performing at!
    I had offered to take her to the Pachuca game and she declined simply because she didn't want to, and yet she thinks I might take her to the All-Star???

No Chance!
    Do what you have to do, man.

Then move on.....simple.