Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    The Following is a list of acts that would have been more appropriate than "Estelle"

Arcade Fire
    Attack in Black
    Billy Talent
    Die Mannequin
    Finger Eleven
    Hostage Life
    Hot Hot Heat
    Kardinal Offishall
    MSTRKRFT
    Mobile
    Sam Roberts
    Social Code
    Tokyo Police Club

feel free to add, i think this could be a reeeeeeeeeally long list
    Thats alot closer to what I had expected. Not that any of them interest me a whole lot either, I just thought they might use the opportunity to get a local band that the crowd would like (if only because they are local) and that was gaining noteriety in the US. I know Three Days Grace are (or at least were) really big in the US. They topped MTV's countdowns and such so I thought they would be a good choice (I hate them too btw). lol. For a person whose name is ilikemusic I sure do seem to hate alot of music.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Sooooooo....people with a brain then?
    ZING! HAHA i don't either .. can't stand either station.. satallite radio is so much better
    c'mon you Reds!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definitely NF-FC

I understand that she is apparently popular (though many of us haven't hear of her)
    But I really think they halftime show should be a rock band...
    ...something with a little more punch to keep the crowd lively.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could have been worse.
    it could have been Madonna.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

estelle has something to say to all you haters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdkxTONV5U

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally, i think that a band like billy talent would have been great for this. Massive in Canada, unknown in the states. give them visibility across the border.

but if they wanted to go for the hippity hop demographic, why not Kardinal or Saukrates (or both?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edmundo View Post
    estelle has something to say to all you haters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdkxTONV5U
    That guy asked if she thinks the MLS can be like the Champions League....
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im going for the soccer, couldnt give a fuck whos at half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Following is a list of acts that would have been more appropriate than "Estelle"

Arcade Fire
    Attack in Black
    Billy Talent
    Die Mannequin
    Finger Eleven
    Hostage Life
    Hot Hot Heat
    Kardinal Offishall
    MSTRKRFT
    Mobile
    Sam Roberts
    Social Code
    Tokyo Police Club

He is friends with Estelle. So don't be surprise if he's at the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want Led Zeppelin as the halftime show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they sould have book this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBJJJL3yDk&feature=user

a singer from canada he has a hit song and just preform on the mmva

but it's a good thing they did not book this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI4BDDZ9EOY
    Last edited by nascarguy; 06-17-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    He is friends with Estelle. So don't be surprise if he's at the game.
    They will probably do this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLKp50oS6Y4

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

woot tokyo police club, saw them last year at virgin festival, rox my sox they did ... that bloody Estelle tune managed to find it's way onto my ipod, all my coworkers listen to is the radio station Flow and now i get all these pop songs stuck in my head :S and kardinal played that dangerous song at our college pub waaay before it was released as a single, i'm getting mighty sick of it

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you know the thing is alot of people who dont even like soccer will watch this game just to see the halftime show, because ill tell you right now when the superbowl actually had a decent halftime show id only watch the game to see the halftime show cuz i hate american football, but when janet showed her titties on it (which was prolly the best halftime show they ever produced btw) and they started showing all these half dead mick jagger types was the day that i officially stopped watching american football forever, so i say good on mls for getting a top 40 artist with a top 40 song to do the damn show, sorry to all you guys that want to have a canadian artist like billy talent on the show, but seriously lets keep in mind that WE PLAY IN AN AMERICAN LEAGUE AND THEY REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT OUR ARTISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather they don't get any music artists at all and just have a football fresstyler at halftime...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG

Now that I know what the song is and am listening to it, ive heard it seems like every hour on 99.9. (im working in an office so Mix 99.9 is about as 'edgy' a station as I can put on).

Pretty shitty song IMO and I cant imagine it transferring very well at all to a live performance (never mind one on a makeshift stage in the middle of a soccer pitch with horrible acoustics).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ and no kanye west

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Famous & Andreena Mill - Canadian Boy

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what everyone is complaining about.

Sure it may not be your style of music, but the fact that TFC landed an act that is this popular (right now) is amazing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Famous & Andreena Mill - Canadian Boy

nice video.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever artist they have... to me its all background music to me taking a piss.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    I don't know what everyone is complaining about.

Sure it may not be your style of music, but the fact that TFC landed an act that is this popular (right now) is amazing!
    I never actually complained about the music (though now that I have listened to it, it isn't exactly my thang... but it's ok)
    I was complaining that I had never heard of the act... but now I have been informed that she is popular... so it's all good I guess.
    I just listen to the wrong radio stations I suppose.

tfc88

wow I read a lot of posts on this msg board everyday, and I usually don't get involved but I have something to say to all who bashed MLS's choice on this one..

THERE ARE SOO MANY LOSERS ON THIS SITE.

Like seriously, Estelle is probably the BEST act we could have possibly booked. This song is one of the biggest songs in the world right now, and Kanye one of the biggest artists. I like many genres of music, but personally I haven't been listening to rnb/hiphop the past few years as I see nothing new or exciting (not to mention how repetitively negative the lyrics can be). That being said, anyone who says the song is crap is full of it. The beat is off the hook, hence the reason it's doing so popular with a wide audience. If you can avoid listening to shitty radio then you can avoid overplaying good songs and hearing garbage ones. Like cmon, tell me that Q107 doesn't play the same shit everyday.

For those in the know in the Toronto club/music scene, Toronto is definitely hot right now, with MANY famous acts appearing regularly. Even Armin Van Buuren and Benny B, 2 famous house/trance dj's released their CD's at events here. Kanye is here on the regular, and he setup a wicked after-party after his concert with Lupe Fiasco, Rhianna, Chris Brown and Pharell at CiRCA a few weeks back.

If you've seen the video for American Boy, you'll see that Toronto's own Kardinall is in it. If these guys were smart, he'd make an appearance and do a rendition of 'Canadian Boy'. The earlier version on this thread was complete shite btw...

If Kanye were to make an appearance that would top it off.. although I frankly couldn't be bothered to look up his schedule.. in any case there's tons of money to be made, especially if they can get him to come.

So if you want tragically hip, or the guess who, well frick off. Billy Talent would have been cool, but hey I think Estelle trumps them in terms of current popularity.

Ok I know I'm ranting, and everything has been incoherent, so what's my point? Sometimes I read this board and think that some of these people have NO lives. I'm not going to bash someone for not following pop-culture or the like, or being obsessed with celebrities like a 14 year old girl, but sometimes you have to take a step back, and look at things from outside what's considered the popular perspective. And trust me, the regulars on this board do a good job of creating an image for the group of us.

What I'm really pissed about, is why a shite team like West Ham is coming instead of Liverpool. Please tell me we're going to give'em the "You're worse than Millwall!" chants???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arcade Fire
    Attack in Black
    Billy Talent
    Die Mannequin
    Finger Eleven
    Hostage Life
    Hot Hot Heat
    Kardinal Offishall
    MSTRKRFT
    Mobile
    Sam Roberts
    Social Code
    Tokyo Police Club

SNOW!

Informer you no say dat it is who me a go blame
    A licky boom boom down
    Detective man say mi Daddy Snow I stabbed someone down the lane
    A lickey boom boom down

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc88 View Post
    wow I read a lot of posts on this msg board everyday, and I usually don't get involved but I have something to say to all who bashed MLS's choice on this one..

Like seriously, Estelle is probably the BEST act we could have possibly booked. This song is one of the biggest songs in the world right now, and Kanye one of the biggest artists. I like many genres of music, but personally I haven't been listening to rnb/hiphop the past few years as I see nothing new or exciting (not to mention how repetitively negative the lyrics can be). That being said, anyone who says the song is crap is full of it. The beat is off the hook, hence the reason it's doing so popular with a wide audience. If you can avoid listening to shitty radio then you can avoid overplaying good songs and hearing garbage ones. Like cmon, tell me that Q107 doesn't play the same shit everyday.

If Kanye were to make an appearance that would top it off.. although I frankly couldn't be bothered to look up his schedule.. in any case there's tons of money to be made, especially if they can get him to come.

So if you want tragically hip, or the guess who, well frick off. Billy Talent would have been cool, but hey I think Estelle trumps them in terms of current popularity.

Ok I know I'm ranting, and everything has been incoherent, so what's my point? Sometimes I read this board and think that some of these people have NO lives. I'm not going to bash someone for not following pop-culture or the like, or being obsessed with celebrities like a 14 year old girl, but sometimes you have to take a step back, and look at things from outside what's considered the popular perspective. And trust me, the regulars on this board do a good job of creating an image for the group of us.

What I'm really pissed about, is why a shite team like West Ham is coming instead of Liverpool. Please tell me we're going to give'em the "You're worse than Millwall!" chants???
    Well you certainly did rant. I think youve made alot of generalizations and stated alot of opinions as fact. Ill only comment on a few because I cant be bothered to do an entire response right now.

I wouldnt consider people losers for not following the latest trends in r&b and dance music.

If having a life means worphipping the latest 'it' artist to collaborate with a big name producer then ill be happy getting by without one.
    Last edited by ilikemusic; 06-19-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    SNOW!

Informer you no say dat it is who me a go blame
    A licky boom boom down
    Detective man say mi Daddy Snow I stabbed someone down the lane
    A lickey boom boom down
    Best idea yet.

Can we just get Dave Coulier to do stand up during half instead and Alanis Morresette to sing. It will be the biggest reunion since, well, ever.
    Last edited by TFC Via Buffalo; 06-19-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

tfc88

oh better add this in to defend myself from the above comment.. i'm really hungover, and i've read so much shit on the board the past few weeks that pisses me off that i had to let it all out. Obviously there would be many other great choices for a halftime show, but at least it's not Simple Plan.. am I right? Or BNL for that matter..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc88 View Post

For those in the know in the Toronto club/music scene, Toronto is definitely hot right now, with MANY famous acts appearing regularly. Even Armin Van Buuren and Benny B, 2 famous house/trance dj's released their CD's at events here. Kanye is here on the regular, and he setup a wicked after-party after his concert with Lupe Fiasco, Rhianna, Chris Brown and Pharell at CiRCA a few weeks back.

If you've seen the video for American Boy, you'll see that Toronto's own Kardinall is in it. If these guys were smart, he'd make an appearance and do a rendition of 'Canadian Boy'. The earlier version on this thread was complete shite btw...

Honestly not sure which side you're arguing on this one.

tfc88

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Well you certainly did rant. I think youve made alot of generalizations and stated alot of opinions as fact. Ill only comment on a few because I cant be bothered to do an entire response right now.

I wouldnt consider people losers for not following the latest trends in r&b and dance music.

If having a life means worphipping the latest 'it' artist to collaborate with a big name producer then ill be happy getting by without one.

I don't worship 'it' artists by any means. Lately, I'm into dirty house, progressive, trance and electro, which I realize is not most people's cup of tea. I think many can admit though, that aside frpm radio overplaying songs to death, and shows like the Hills rotting people's brains, a lot of these new pop songs actually have cool, catchy beats.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were going I would be in line either for the bathroom or for beer. So really who gives a turd.