Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deschamp86 View Post
    What are the chances we could swap Rooney with Barrett without them noticing? haha
    They should just have Barrett and Rooney swap jerseys at halftime and come out for the other team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    They should just have Barrett and Rooney swap jerseys at halftime and come out for the other team.
    It wouldn't be fair for them...we might actually score!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    Watch us get the special discount pricing again for this match...what a scam. Im not interested in our home stadium cheering 90% for the opposition, while forgetting the loyalty to tfc (people wearing full man utd gear in 112 and south end)
    But I'm sure it's fine if it was Liverpool though huh?

Regardless whether it's United, Barca, Madrid, Milan, etc. They're all going to command top dollar, and if it's at BMO you know damn well ML$E will milk it for all it's worth.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ theres still hope for you yet, jay, hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nobodybeatsthewiz View Post
    ^ theres still hope for you yet, jay, hahaha
    You of all people should know by now that I've long been a lost cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Which one of us do you really think is more likely to make something up?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    Which one of us do you really think is more likely to make something up?
    Wheeler or Spark? hmmm.....
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    I would be very surprised if they could get that cause this year based on the World Cup. The players are going to be playing in their domestic leagues until May and then going on straight to their Worls Cup camps so they will not be getting any rest. I would be shocked if they came here and did not take a break.
    It's going to depend on timing of this match and when the respective players World Cup ends. But I would think that anyone that makes it out of the group stage will be unlikely to be here for a July match.

Fergie did take a beating in the press for the match you mentioned, and flew a number of the first teamers out for the following match as a result. I doubt that he would do that again if he has the option. However, he is most certainly not going to putting someone like Rooney on the pitch for PR purposes after only having 2 - 3 weeks of rest.

Giggs will be there - that's enough for me :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    But I'm sure it's fine if it was Liverpool though huh?

Regardless whether it's United, Barca, Madrid, Milan, etc. They're all going to command top dollar, and if it's at BMO you know damn well ML$E will milk it for all it's worth.
    I don't really support BMO being pro-opposition at any time (including liverpool). Granted, it would be a nice friendly but it just kind of kills that you already know most of the stadium would be wearing the red of united and not tfc. Anyways, maybe they aren't playing at BMO at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love getting the chance to see world class clubs in person no matter who they are, or who they are playing...

Seeing Real Madrid was magic...

Getting to see ManU or Liverpool or Chelsea etc would be magical too..

Granted, anyone wants to see the team they support more than another - and what they pay would reflect that - but if you love the sport as much as most of us do, seeing one of the best clubs in the world is always something to get excited for...

I know it'll be exspensive, but if I can swing it, I won't miss it...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    I don't really support BMO being pro-opposition at any time (including liverpool). Granted, it would be a nice friendly but it just kind of kills that you already know most of the stadium would be wearing the red of united and not tfc. Anyways, maybe they aren't playing at BMO at all.
    This would be my issue with it, throw in goltv, the teams own tv station, going all googly eyed at united or whichever big club shows up, and talking it up as the biggest game of the season and all that whan it's just a friendly, and it's just a bit depressing.

Hopefully it'll be against another big team, then i can happily ignore it, but i have no interest in seeing TFC play the Washington Generals role in their own stadium.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

CNE Cup situation?

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    It's going to depend on timing of this match and when the respective players World Cup ends. But I would think that anyone that makes it out of the group stage will be unlikely to be here for a July match.

Fergie did take a beating in the press for the match you mentioned, and flew a number of the first teamers out for the following match as a result. I doubt that he would do that again if he has the option. However, he is most certainly not going to putting someone like Rooney on the pitch for PR purposes after only having 2 - 3 weeks of rest.

Giggs will be there - that's enough for me :-)

rooney doesnt need rest he is a weapon
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This game will definitely be another easy sell-out. Now with grass in place the profits from this game would be a lot higher for MLSE as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    I'd bet my next paycheque that it's going to be at Skydome
    wouldn't take that bet! I'd be surprised if it was at BMO field.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Do you watch football outside of the premiership because there is no way you would feel man u are 'bigger by far' than Real. A big part of Man United success is due to how well the premiership is marketed and sold world wide, it has helped them gain more fans throughout the world. La Liga I would say is not marketed as well but if people know anything about football they will know also about how big a club Real Madrid is.
    Uh yeah, I do.

Man U is bigger for many of the reasons you listed. From my personal experience, everyone knows who Man U is. Real Madrid? Not so much. In terms of Toronto soccer fans, it doesn't really matter since both would sell out. But in terms of general public and name recognition, yeah I give the nod to Man U for sure.

edit - it'll be at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    Uh yeah, I do.

Man U is bigger for many of the reasons you listed. From my personal experience, everyone knows who Man U is. Real Madrid? Not so much. In terms of Toronto soccer fans, it doesn't really matter since both would sell out. But in terms of general public and name recognition, yeah I give the nod to Man U for sure.

edit - it'll be at BMO.

ManU may be the bigger club based on popularity but there is no way they can match the spectacle that was Real Madrid last year.

There isn't one player with ManU that I would want to see live more that Kaka, Raul or Cristiano Ronaldo. Especially considering it was right after all of those signings with Real (Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema etc.)

I really hope this is true and hope even more that it will be at BMO against TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh yeah, I do.

edit - it'll be at BMO.
    This is BS. Your answer reflects the fact the you live in Toronto, an anglo settlement.
    Go to south America and Real Madrid blows away ManU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am excited by the prospect of this match but I also realize that alot of the "big" players will more than likely not be here, the fact that this preseason tour would fall only a few weeks after the World Cup means all players who were at the tournament will be given time off before joining up with the squad, so players like Rooney, Rio, Evra, Nani, etc will more than likely not have to travel for a few games in the US/Canada, we will still be treated to the likes of Giggs, Scholes, etc.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it baffling and (if I am honest) sickening that so many TFC fans would start jizzing all over teams like manure and madrid if and when they come to town. I understand that people who grew up in Canada were starved of a home team to support so they started following "big" teams from afar, and may have done so for a number of years now. But the goalposts have shifted now, by a fucking huge margin. For those people who are TO born and raised and who support TFC (as SSH or otherwise) to start cheering for the other team they followed from afar over and above TFC is just baffling to me. You've got a hometown club and no longer need the plastic association with the "big" foreign team. Yeah, nice to see a good team play and all that, especially if you used to follow that team as a kid - something to get excited about for sure - but TFC should always be number one.

/rant
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    This is BS. Your answer reflects the fact the you live in Toronto, an anglo settlement.
    First of all, I don't even live in Toronto, so **** off.

Second, I don't give a rats ass about who is bigger in South America. Man U coming to Toronto is a much bigger deal than Real Madrid to the general public.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I find it baffling and (if I am honest) sickening that so many TFC fans would start jizzing all over teams like manure and madrid if and when they come to town. I understand that people who grew up in Canada were starved of a home team to support so they started following "big" teams from afar, and may have done so for a number of years now. But the goalposts have shifted now, by a fucking huge margin. For those people who are TO born and raised and who support TFC (as SSH or otherwise) to start cheering for the other team they followed from afar over and above TFC is just baffling to me. You've got a hometown club and no longer need the plastic association with the "big" foreign team. Yeah, nice to see a good team play and all that, especially if you used to follow that team as a kid - something to get excited about for sure - but TFC should always be number one.

/rant
    In a competitive game, maybe. In a friendly? Not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second, I don't give a rats ass about who is bigger in South America. Man U coming to Toronto is a much bigger deal than Real Madrid to the general public.
    The argument is who is a bigger club, but if you want to pick and choose to make it fit your argument knock yourself out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the Real Madrid game did have the little extra magic to it because of Ronaldo's move from United to Real, and also the fact that Kaka played his very first game for Real at BMO. These two guys added a whole heck of a lot to the event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is no way united is going to play on turf...it'll be at bmo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Not to get drawn in to this, but I will counter with - go to Asia and United blow Madrid away.

They are both huge clubs, lets leave it at that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    there is no way united is going to play on turf...it'll be at bmo
    They've put grass down at the Skydome before.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    In a competitive game, maybe. In a friendly? Not so much.
    I don't see the difference to be honest. If you're a TFC fan - live here, support the team, part of an SG, etc - and TFC are playing another team, then you should stay a TFC fan. Otherwise, you're on a slippery slope. It's only a difference of degree, not kind, to then say "well I am a TFC fan now but I was a man utd and beckham fan in 1999, so when TFC play LAG I will support beckham and his team and not TFC". The principle is exactly the same, just extended to a more realistic situation than TFC playing man utd in the final of the FIFA world club cup champs. You're relying on a past affiliation with a far away club to support someone other than TFC.

To me, that's weird.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I don't see the difference to be honest. If you're a TFC fan - live here, support the team, part of an SG, etc - and TFC are playing another team, then you should stay a TFC fan. Otherwise, you're on a slippery slope. It's only a difference of degree, not kind, to then say "well I am a TFC fan now but I was a man utd and beckham fan in 1999, so when TFC play LAG I will support beckham and his team and not TFC". The principle is exactly the same, just extended to a more realistic situation than TFC playing man utd in the final of the FIFA world club cup champs. You're relying on a past affiliation with a far away club to support someone other than TFC.

To me, that's weird.
    Well, look at it this way. If you're a TFC and Man Utd supporter, a game like this one is your chance to support your other team that ONE time they're here in Canada. Other than that you have to fly overseas. AND it's a friendly, so it doesn't matter anyway. I don't think that takes away from their love and support of TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Not to get drawn in to this, but I will counter with - go to Asia and United blow Madrid away.

They are both huge clubs, lets leave it at that.
    Not really. Real made some inroads while Becks was with them
    Add to the fact they have Ronaldo now.
    Say what you will but a lot of chicks follow him.