Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they did play TFC I don't think I could take the game very seriously. Too many friends on here who are United Supporters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    This is BS. Your answer reflects the fact the you live in Toronto, an anglo settlement.
    Go to south America and Real Madrid blows away ManU.
    This is a thread about United coming to Toronto, not South America.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A note from your friendly Moderators: Lets not have a flame war over whose Euro club is more important. Thank-you.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    This is a thread about United coming to Toronto, not South America.
    Yeah but for some reason it became about who was the "bigger" club.

Like that even matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    A note from your friendly Moderators: Lets not have a flame war over whose Euro club is more important. Thank-you.
    Nice...beat me to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I don't see the difference to be honest. If you're a TFC fan - live here, support the team, part of an SG, etc - and TFC are playing another team, then you should stay a TFC fan. Otherwise, you're on a slippery slope. It's only a difference of degree, not kind, to then say "well I am a TFC fan now but I was a man utd and beckham fan in 1999, so when TFC play LAG I will support beckham and his team and not TFC". The principle is exactly the same, just extended to a more realistic situation than TFC playing man utd in the final of the FIFA world club cup champs. You're relying on a past affiliation with a far away club to support someone other than TFC.

To me, that's weird.

Just worry about who you support and how you support them. That's what will help soccer in Canada, and Toronto, and TFC for that matter.

The minute you start to worry about who other people support, and more importantly, HOW they support...you become part of the problem.

We all love soccer here...what's the point of shitting on somebody's "way" of loving soccer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it baffling and (if I am honest) sickening that so many TFC fans would start jizzing all over teams like manure and madrid if and when they come to town. I understand that people who grew up in Canada were starved of a home team to support so they started following "big" teams from afar, and may have done so for a number of years now. But the goalposts have shifted now, by a fucking huge margin. For those people who are TO born and raised and who support TFC (as SSH or otherwise) to start cheering for the other team they followed from afar over and above TFC is just baffling to me. You've got a hometown club and no longer need the plastic association with the "big" foreign team. Yeah, nice to see a good team play and all that, especially if you used to follow that team as a kid - something to get excited about for sure - but TFC should always be number one.

/rant
    I agree with every sentence in this post. It was the point I was trying t get at as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SvenFlu View Post
    Funny story....

I saw Man United play a friendly against Bayern Munich in Chicago back in 2004. The game itself was pretty boring. Ended up 0-0 with Bayern winning on penalties.
    I have one of the gloves Oliver Kahn wore in that game hanging on my office wall.

Anyway back to topic...I was at the RM game, I even drove to Montreal to see Bordeaux beat Guingamp. I'll probably be there for this, and if its against TFC I'll definitely be there and I'll be in a TFC jersey.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I will be at this game for sure. I hope they offer it to STH first again. That way I don't have to fight scalpers for tickets when the window opens to buy them.

BC - you guys doing another run of the Man U / TFC scarves??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it baffling and (if I am honest) sickening that so many TFC fans would start jizzing all over teams like manure and madrid if and when they come to town. I understand that people who grew up in Canada were starved of a home team to support so they started following "big" teams from afar, and may have done so for a number of years now. But the goalposts have shifted now, by a fucking huge margin. For those people who are TO born and raised and who support TFC (as SSH or otherwise) to start cheering for the other team they followed from afar over and above TFC is just baffling to me. You've got a hometown club and no longer need the plastic association with the "big" foreign team. Yeah, nice to see a good team play and all that, especially if you used to follow that team as a kid - something to get excited about for sure - but TFC should always be number one.

I'm baffled that you're baffled. If somebody has an emotional bond with a far away team that's grown from years, if not decades, of living and dying with that team, most people can't just throw that bond out because a new team sprang up in your area recently.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man - we need some real news. This is getting boring...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we can all count on it being exorbitantly expensive. Is anyone in need of a first-born child?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My question is will the game be at BMO or the Dome?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    This is BS. Your answer reflects the fact the you live in Toronto, an anglo settlement.
    Go to south America and Real Madrid blows away ManU.
    Yes, you are correct, but why does it have to come down to Anglo-non Anglo sentiments, I have travelled to many places in Europe, South and Central America, and Real Madrid and Manchester United are big names as are Barcelona, Arsenal, Inter Milan and a host of others!!

Yes Toronto and for that matter Canada was originally settled mainly by French and English, why argue over history, take pride in your heritage and take pride in being Canadian, and take pride in living in a country that is far more tolerant than many nations in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    My question is will the game be at BMO or the Dome?
    if Real Madrid was at BMO, than Man U will be at BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Yes, you are correct, but why does it have to come down to Anglo-non Anglo sentiments, I have travelled to many places in Europe, South and Central America, and Real Madrid and Manchester United are big names as are Barcelona, Arsenal, Inter Milan and a host of others!!

Yes Toronto and for that matter Canada was originally settled mainly by French and English, why argue over history, take pride in your heritage and take pride in being Canadian, and take pride in living in a country that is far more tolerant than many nations in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post

I think you may have interpreted his post wrong. There is nothing anti (or pro) Anglo about what he said.

I think he was just saying that the vast majority of soccer fans in this city are of some form of British heritage. This is why the perception here, in Toronto, would be that ManU is the "biggest" club in the world.

I don't think there was anything malicious about the comment and, for the record, I agree with boban on this one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    But I'm sure it's fine if it was Liverpool though huh?

Regardless whether it's United, Barca, Madrid, Milan, etc. They're all going to command top dollar, and if it's at BMO you know damn well ML$E will milk it for all it's worth.
    Not bloody likely....TFC all the way

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    Uh yeah, I do.

Man U is bigger for many of the reasons you listed. From my personal experience, everyone knows who Man U is. Real Madrid? Not so much. In terms of Toronto soccer fans, it doesn't really matter since both would sell out. But in terms of general public and name recognition, yeah I give the nod to Man U for sure.

edit - it'll be at BMO.
    Give me Barca, Man U is huge world wide. just ask anyone from numerous countries, they all ID Man U. ,they love a winner, which they are.. but give me Barcelona.....it's a finess thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
    I think you may have interpreted his post wrong. There is nothing anti (or pro) Anglo about what he said.

I think he was just saying that the vast majority of soccer fans in this city are of some form of British heritage. This is why the perception here, in Toronto, would be that ManU is the "biggest" club in the world.

I don't think there was anything malicious about the comment and, for the record, I agree with boban on this one.
    I hate Man U more than anything, but its a matter of fact not opinion that they are the biggest club in the world. They're valued at a full half billion dollars more than Real Madrid. In terms of value (which is clearly linked to fan support, merch sales, market penatration etc.) Man U is worth as much as Real Madrid + Juventus.

MUFC_Niagara

You've said some pretty rediculous things on here, this takes the ribbon!
    So let me get this straight, my family has supported Manchester United since my great great great Grandad walked from Malpas, Cheshire to work on the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. My great great Grandad was at the 1936 promotion dinner at the Midland Hotel after United won the second division. My grandad lived at 42 Warwick Road (now Matt Busby Way) across from Old Trafford cricket ground and was friends with many of the Busby Babes, some of those who lost their lives at Munich. Essentially, my family all support United.

BUT

According to you....because I was born in Canada, even though I have grown up United, as soon as TFC came to town I should stop supporting United cold turkey and support only TFC? Is it because it's United? Calling people "plastic" because they support another team and are happy they are coming is stupid, even for your standards.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

United. United. United.

Preach Stock Preach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

No maliciousness taken but: For me respectfully,the British are overrated, maybe in Oakville or Burlington where white Anglos are numerous but My parents are Brits, and I have been hugely influenced and revitalized to the joys of soccer by the numerous lets say new Torontonians, from all over the world, and their sheer love of the game, quite frankly Brits are sometimes full of it, and I personally am astonished watching Lebonese, Somalian, Ethiopian, Central American, Nigerian, East European etc.......school me in their devotion and talent for the game.....Let's not forget Portugese and Italian....man every friggin country......god bless them, they make up our city, and we are the richer for them. If anything Brits and the like are a minority now.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-01-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Guys, enough with "Who's the Biggest Club in the World" conversation.
    This shit will going nowhere, so lets just leave it at they are both big clubs that demand alot of money to play here. Done.

if You want to start this kind of conversation, do it in the International section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many British players does United even have in its starting lineup?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Give me Barca, Man U is huge world wide. just ask anyone from numerous countries, they all ID Man U. ,they love a winner, which they are.. but give me Barcelona.....it's a finess thing
    I hear ya. I'm a Man U fan, so I'm giddy. I hope I can get tickets for this one. If I do I think I'll wear my TFC short sleeve jersey over my Man U hoodie.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rooney, Owen, Carrick, Wes Brown, Rio Ferdidand, Scholes.....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather watch Messi and Barcelona.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh. why do personal opinions matter in a factual thread?? I rather have a Seattle atmosphere at BMO...you don't see me complaining

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rooney, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes & Brown. Throw Evans in too if you consider people from Northern Ireland to be British

on the bench is also Giggs, Neville, Owen & Foster
    Last edited by drewski; 02-01-2010 at 08:31 PM.