Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NYRB to introduce smart cards

Much better than a membership scheme. Smart cards will be used at red bull arena along with concessions and team store.

Kinda like the Tim Horton's card.

http://www.thekinoffish.blogspot.com/
    -Full season ticket holders will have their RB tickets delivered via a smart card. STHs will tap the card at the turnstile to gain entrance to RBA. The cards will be used at concession stands and the team store, and reward points will be awarded for purchases. Eventually, sponsors may take part in the RB smart-card program as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eliminates scalpers, major upside.

Makes it hard to give tix to a friend (you have to loan them the card). Downside.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh thats bad, can you imagine with MLSE prices the debt that we would owe at the end of each game LOL . Not good at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    Much better than a membership scheme. Smart cards will be used at red bull arena along with concessions and team store.

-Full season ticket holders will have their RB tickets delivered via a smart card. STHs will tap the card at the turnstile to gain entrance to RBA. The cards will be used at concession stands and the team store, and reward points will be awarded for purchases. Eventually, sponsors may take part in the RB smart-card program as well.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Eliminates scalpers, major upside.

Makes it hard to give tix to a friend (you have to loan them the card). Downside.
    Actually, it shouldn't be a problem e-mail tickets like we do now. That game would simply be removed from the database when the tix are e-mailed and if someone tried to use their card it wouldn't work for that game...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wonder with all drinking how many people would lose their card?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to see TFC adopt a system like this. I can see the obvious benefits from a business perspective for the data mining opportunities (and the questions that would be raised if 15 tickets were emailed and there was no use of the card inside stadium).

From a fans perspective it eliminates waits at the ATM machine as we could have automatic top ups for our cards with any remaining balance at the end of the season being moved to our season ticket purchases for the following year. Throw some RFID sensors into the cards so they could monitor which cards pass through certain sections and notify security when you're in the wrong area! Or notify EMS if you have gone to the washroom one too many times during a game.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post
    Throw some RFID sensors into the cards so they could monitor which cards pass through certain sections and notify security when you're in the wrong area!
    You had me 'til this part. Aside from the obvious privacy rights questions, RFID readers are still pretty low range, so it would be a hack of a system for TFC to set up. Maybe at each entrance?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea, however this could potentially stop scalpers. So therefore, MLSE won't even consider this idea.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I wonder with all drinking how many people would lose their card?
    They can probably be cancelled and re-issued to stop any issues that arise from lost cards, although bet there will be a tasty fee for doing so!

Then again, the red bulls are shite, so myabe their FO is going to issue them with negotiable bearer bond style smart cards. Which would be shite. So fucking shite.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Great idea, however this could potentially stop scalpers. So therefore, MLSE won't even consider this idea.
    You are right sir >>

Plus who the fuck gives a shit about Scalpers , it is what it is .

bring on the card

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    You had me 'til this part. Aside from the obvious privacy rights questions, RFID readers are still pretty low range, so it would be a hack of a system for TFC to set up. Maybe at each entrance?
    Just trying to think like MLS$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quality move. They are still shite 99% of the time. But I applaud them for this.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redtfcred View Post
    You are right sir >>

Plus who the fuck gives a shit about Scalpers , it is what it is .

bring on the card
    Well that's an interesting approach to life!

And I would think that everyone on these boards who wants season tickets but cannot get them because scalpers have so many probably gives a fuck. Not to nit pick, just answering the question you posted!
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for scalpers they are like cockroaches, they never die or dissapear.. as for the smart card it would be excellent aslong as i can sell my tickets when i can't make it to a game.. However that won't stop scalpers from doing thier business i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, they'd have to have a printing option for people who want to forward the tickets to somebody. so scalpers would just print the tickets for themselves on thicker paper, and sell the printouts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PB - when we getting cards?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and what about those that split seasons?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's 100% the way to go. Some Bundesliga teams already do this (Frankfurt for sure, others also). You can still email tickets, it doesn't prevent that at all.

This really speeds up concessions. You have to buy a card from a stand-alone kiosk, if you're not an SSH, in order to get a beer or a wurstli. The concessions themselves have no cash, they just scan cards.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty cool idea. Red Bulls certainly seem to be taking it to another level now that they're getting their own stadium. I'm also impressed with their preseason, they're playing CSKA Moscow in Spain, whereas we'll be playing the Correspondence College of Tampa in Clearwater.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    Well that's an interesting approach to life!

And I would think that everyone on these boards who wants season tickets but cannot get them because scalpers have so many probably gives a fuck. Not to nit pick, just answering the question you posted!

I remember being proactive and getting tickets when the team was announced / it was great, had seasons ever since ..
    it got all cool after the first season / snooze and looze is what I say .
    scalpers are a nec evil in sports / I don't worry about people that can't get seasons either does TFC ..
    cheers

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    This is a pretty cool idea. Red Bulls certainly seem to be taking it to another level now that they're getting their own stadium. I'm also impressed with their preseason, they're playing CSKA Moscow in Spain, whereas we'll be playing the Correspondence College of Tampa in Clearwater.
    And we're going to kick their theaten fearing asses!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is never first at doing groundbreaking things , ie smartcard .. they are a big corp that does everything safe and basically crawls along excepting mediocrity and taking everyones money ..

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC is never first at doing groundbreaking things , ie smartcard .. they are a big corp that does everything safe and basically crawls along excepting mediocrity and taking everyones money ..
    I don't agree with that. TFC singlehandedly changed the MLS. For all the amazing things that the supporters have done, it was the mindset of the FO that made it all possible.

They used a different model. No mascots, no cheerleaders, just ask the fans what they want and then deliver it as best as they can.

TFC has become the model for all new MLS clubs thanks to their groundbreaking efforts.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree with that. TFC singlehandedly changed the MLS. For all the amazing things that the supporters have done, it was the mindset of the FO that made it all possible.

They used a different model. No mascots, no cheerleaders, just ask the fans what they want and then deliver it as best as they can.

TFC has become the model for all new MLS clubs thanks to their groundbreaking efforts.
    OMG please give me one example of what they did / Jack astors change a loser into a bigger loser..
    Please let me know what they did other then shit a golden goose..They had no idea it would take off the way it did ..
    The supporters made this event what it is .. Period !!!
    what has TFC done honestly , besides increase prices and lose for 3 years running>> lets debate sir

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changed the MLS I am sorry but that makes me fall over in my chair ..hahahahah
    every other team in MLS that is getting new stadiums that are actually nice and creative / innovative .. We are finally getting grass which is amazing .. But my lord one of the nicest stadium locations in the world and we built a high school stadium // with turf

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG please give me one example of what they did / Jack astors change a loser into a bigger loser..
    Please let me know what they did other then shit a golden goose..They had no idea it would take off the way it did ..
    The supporters made this event what it is .. Period !!!
    what has TFC done honestly , besides increase prices and lose for 3 years running>> lets debate sir
    The first thing they did was spend a lot of time in 2006 going to bars to sit down with fans and listen. Their biggest question was "what do you want". In my experience as a sports fan, that's not very common.

TFC's groundbreaking work in MLS isn't so much about introducing new gadgets like the smart card, it's about their attitude and approach to running the team.

Of course the fans make the atmosphere, but TFC could have easily taken a traditional approach and pumped in music or had promo people harassing you every 10 seconds...but they didn't.

They took the time to listen to the fans and learn what a legitimate soccer experience is. In MLS, that was pretty groundbreaking.

Look at the Seattle Sounders. They copied a ton from TFC right down to the scarf as your ticket idea. If TFC weren't groundbreaking, then people wouldn't copy them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first thing they did was spend a lot of time in 2006 going to bars to sit down with fans and listen. Their biggest question was "what do you want". In my experience as a sports fan, that's not very common.

TFC's groundbreaking work in MLS isn't so much about introducing new gadgets like the smart card, it's about their attitude and approach to running the team.

Of course the fans make the atmosphere, but TFC could have easily taken a traditional approach and pumped in music or had promo people harassing you every 10 seconds...but they didn't.

They took the time to listen to the fans and learn what a legitimate soccer experience is. In MLS, that was pretty groundbreaking.

Look at the Seattle Sounders. They copied a ton from TFC right down to the scarf as your ticket idea. If TFC weren't groundbreaking, then people wouldn't copy them.
    I have seen several of your posts and replies and you always seem to have a great pov and very intelligent responses .. But u must have been sipped some mlse cool aid ..IMO they have done absolutely nothing groundbreaking . In fact i am 100% sure if you ran or made decisions for TFC the grounds and the whole exp would be very very different??
    I have heard right from PB @ FO mouth that the "suporters " are only a small voice in a huge season ticket pool .. I have watched the inner working of TFC and realized for the most part they bumble threw everything they do .. Their model believe it or not is NOT groundbreaking in fact they run off the Leafs and raptors model for the most part .. I do feel this shitty sports corp has dropped the ball in many many ways ..They had a chance to really be groundbreaking and go "euro " in a sense ..Thats what the RB's are doing ..
    Obviously FO has you thinking the right things they make u feel as tho u have a say .. You really need to rethink your definition of Groundbreaking..

I am very excited about the grass don't get me wrong but this team would be a 1000 times better if that Cancer MLSE corp didn't own them , and Paul has got all the supporters fooled badly , it only take a few witty posts and a few shitty scoops .. I do remember u in year one doing a pretty cool video tta gave people a good perspective of what goes on .. What happened supporters got pushed out of stuff like that / shocking / then shitty TFCtv came out //
    I am right here / at least in my mind

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its time for both of us to go enjoy Man U vs Arshole

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said CB.....Although they have bundled some things, they did a great job when starting up this team. The head of the Seattle supporters groups were flown up to Toronto before their 1st season to learn from what TFC started & they copied a lot of what TFC had done to change things forever in the MLS.

It is widely viewed that the emergence of TFC & the fanbase that MLSE did a very good job cultivating early on have changed this league for the better & hopefully forever.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has nothing to do with drinking the kool-aid. I've just decided to give up on all the negativity.

When TFC started, myself and other spent a lot of time trying to help get this thing off the ground. We met with the club, set up events, did podcasts etc. Personally, I did it because it was fun and it was exciting to be able to do something that this city had never seen.

Somewhere along the way, it turned half sour. It turned from excitement to negativity. Instead of giving ideas, a lot of people just provided criticism.

In many ways I felt like TFC owed me something.

That's all out the window now. We did the things we did because we wanted this to be a success, we wanted it to be fun. We didn't do it for a job or recognition or anything like that. It was about creating the best fan experience we could - and we did it!

Did we get screwed on the Madrid game? Yes. Are there things that irk the fans? Yes...but it's still an amazing sports experience and I'll take it for all it's worth.

I have seen several of your posts and replies and you always seem to have a great pov and very intelligent responses .. But u must have been sipped some mlse cool aid ..IMO they have done absolutely nothing groundbreaking . In fact i am 100% sure if you ran or made decisions for TFC the grounds and the whole exp would be very very different??
    I have heard right from PB @ FO mouth that the "suporters " are only a small voice in a huge season ticket pool .. I have watched the inner working of TFC and realized for the most part they bumble threw everything they do .. Their model believe it or not is NOT groundbreaking in fact they run off the Leafs and raptors model for the most part .. I do feel this shitty sports corp has dropped the ball in many many ways ..They had a chance to really be groundbreaking and go "euro " in a sense ..Thats what the RB's are doing ..
    Obviously FO has you thinking the right things they make u feel as tho u have a say .. You really need to rethink your definition of Groundbreaking..

I am very excited about the grass don't get me wrong but this team would be a 1000 times better if that Cancer MLSE corp didn't own them , and Paul has got all the supporters fooled badly , it only take a few witty posts and a few shitty scoops .. I do remember u in year one doing a pretty cool video tta gave people a good perspective of what goes on .. What happened supporters got pushed out of stuff like that / shocking / then shitty TFCtv came out //
    I am right here / at least in my mind