Time for a new captain at TFC.

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=1905

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think its too soon
    jimmy should be a starting 65 minute player on left mid for us this season cranking balls into the box then bring in one of the young guys and get them groomed
    mls is a grinding physical game and new lads need to adjust how much better than a 20 minute run out
    when jimmy subs out then pass the arm band to different players and see how they react then pick a new captain in due time
    you dont just throw out and dispose of captain's like tissues
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    i think its too soon
    jimmy should be a starting 65 minute player on left mid for us this season cranking balls into the box then bring in one of the young guys and get them groomed
    mls is a grinding physical game and new lads need to adjust how much better than a 20 minute run out
    when jimmy subs out then pass the arm band to different players and see how they react then pick a new captain in due time

perfect!.......especially guys like Jimmy B who respect the badge, and played 3/4 of the year with a broken hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Especially guys like Jimmy B who makes poor decisions on a consistent basis, can't rally the troops when the going gets tough, has been part of a losing culture since he got here, and the only reason he's captain is he was our first signing and he's Canadian...we should definitely not toss those guys out.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think its too soon
    While captains should not come and go arbitrarily, they also don't have a free pass when it comes to their play. If Jimmy's play had not declined in the past year, I would say play on. However, with diminished play comes diminished profile and responsibilities and the mantle has to eventually be passed. This isn't a senate appointment. You don't get the armband for life. It serves a purpose and it should go to whoever can serve that purpose more effectively.

Having him pass on the armbad isn't a show of disrespect or lack of appreciation for what he has done for the team and fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimmy had his shot. IMO, Preki should decide who he thinks will lead the team and have them as the new captain.

I wouldn't be surprised to see DeRo get handed the armband to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Jimmy's minutes will come down and thus the armband should be passed, but to who is an interesting question. JDG or DeRo seem to be the obvious choices but I was really impressed with the way that Cronin communicates on the pitch and how he handled the media at the end of the year regarding the mood in the dressing room. He called it what it was, that was that. He's not perhaps the best choice now but I wouldn't rule him out to take it over down the road. Just my humble opinnion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What defines a captain written by a damn good one.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/...a_captain.html

...In the dressing room, he is the coach’s right-hand man...the captain’s responsibility to help his teammates fulfil their potential, while at the same time ensuring that he is also fulfilling his own. Consistent performances are vitally important for a captain, because he cannot make demands on his teammates if he is not seen to be doing his own job first...a captain essentially has to have one foot in the dressing room, and one in the coach’s room...

Not sure Jimmy fits the bill but also don't know if anyone else can fill the role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    Jimmy had his shot. IMO, Preki should decide who he thinks will lead the team and have them as the new captain.

If they want to send a message to all, it'll be either DeRo or JDG. Signifies a new future for the team.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all in Jimmy's hands.

They can't rip the armband off him... but he should take some responsibility and hand it to DeRo or DeGuz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    It's all in Jimmy's hands.

They can't rip the armband off him... but he should take some responsibility and hand it to DeRo or DeGuz.
    Completely agree. Jimmy should hand it to DeRo I believe. He showed last season that he can put the team on his back and really turn a game around single handedly.

I also believe that this could be a win win for Jimmy B. If he has the pressure of being captain lifted off his shoulders and is put in a position to play well (especially if he is put on the wing in the midfield) he will come out this year. I know his pace is slowing and he's getting up in that age. But I believe if he just goes out there and plays and let's someone else deal with the media, locker room issues and so on it will allow him to just get back to his game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jimmy should be a starting 65 minute player on left mid for us this season cranking balls into the box
    Cranking balls into the box? His crosses are floaters! He puts up more ducks then Drew Bledsoe.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Cranking balls into the box? His crosses are floaters! He puts up more ducks then Drew Bledsoe.
    Badum-bum-CHING!

He actually has Marvel Wynne syndrome sometimes... running in too deep into plays down the left, then gets caught and we're short defensively on the counter attack.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I COMPLETLEY agree with Shaughno ... for once.
    ĄVamos Celta!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who thinks people are making this a too much of issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    perfect!.......especially guys like Jimmy B who respect the badge, and played 3/4 of the year with a broken hand.
    He played with cracked ribs in year-1 as well...

Canadian warrior...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed Shaughno...

I wouldn't be suprised, nor would I be dissapointed...

He leads the team out there, respected throughout the league and in the community...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I wouldn't be surprised to see DeRo get handed the armband to be honest."

Something tells me deRo doesn't command a lot of respect in the dressing room, what with the way he threw his teammates under the bus after the last game last year, and his constant whining about being under-paid...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    He played with cracked ribs in year-1 as well...

Canadian warrior...

Carts...

Agree fully......its unfortunate that there's not more support for our captain....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post

Something tells me deRo doesn't command a lot of respect in the dressing room, what with the way he threw his teammates under the bus after the last game last year, and his constant whining about being under-paid...
    I love DeRo, and what he does for the team, but the captain is not always the most skilled or "best" player ont he team.....it is the heart and soul....the badge personified.....and nobody on TFC fills that role like Jimmy B.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post

Bingo!

DeRo seems to be a little bit to quick to comment on certain things. I'm assuming that's not one thing a team wants in their captain. Sometimes u got to say something, sometimes you got to just give a "textbook answer" to buy the situation some time. That's just one thing a captain needs to be able to do, identify and differentiate. It's not just always about motivating players.

Either way if there is a new captain and it's not DeRo, I could see him getting sulky about it. Just that alone is a characteristic that would lean my away from giving him the arm band.

Just my thoughts. I know they are worth shite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rod Brindamour (sp?) just gave up the Hurricanes armband to a younger player because he can't do the job of playing like he used to. You pass the mantle.
    Someone should have a chat in Jims ear and let him do the classy thing. He's been great for us as Captain, during these early years. now, time for a change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    Rod Brindamour (sp?) just gave up the Hurricanes armband to a younger player because he can't do the job of playing like he used to. You pass the mantle.
    Someone should have a chat in Jims ear and let him do the classy thing. He's been great for us as Captain, during these early years. now, time for a change.
    Great call Oblio.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Trying to stir up controversy in the dull offseason?

Brennan to be honest has lost his legs and was pretty awful last year in my opinion, and should be on the bench.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Brennan said to me directly at a pub crawl that he plans to play one more year as a role player most likely and then get full on into coaching.

IMO, he was pretty clear as to the fact he would be playing less minutes.

From a captain standpoint, I don't think he has it. Incredibly nice guy but when the questions were being asked, it was Edwards and Cronin that stood in front of the cameras. When there were issues about turf, it was DeRo putting his name out there.

Some folks gravitate towards leadership and I just don't see it in Brennan, with all due respect for what he has given the club.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No fucking way should it be De Guz. The only commitment I have seen from him so far is to the money and his hairstyle. You don't give the armband to someone that has just arrived and that has yet to show clear commitment tot he club or any significant leadership qualities. "Oooooo, he played in SPAIN - let's make him captain!" How stupid is that? There's no case to be made for De Guz to be made captain.

De Ro is a more sensible suggestion, but I'm not in the "take the armband away" camp so I'd vote against it. Brennan still has a big role to play for this team, both this season and (hopefully) in the future once he's stopped playing. If he does come back as a coach next season, what kind of statement would it make on his authority to strip him of the armband this season?

Besides which Jimmy's stick last season came when he played LB. He should bnot be put there this season, save in the case of dire emergency. Nana and Serioux should both be in line to play there ahead of Brennan, and we should really be looking to bring in a LB before the season starts. Whereas at left mid he was a solid, reliable player with an occasional hammer shot. He has good vision, gets into good spaces, can cross well (by MLS standards) and is good in the tackle when he's tracking back. Plus he's Canadian, has great experience, is one of the very few players t have mroe than a season or so with TFC under his belt so offers good stability in a squad that has had revolving doors since it was created and he will literally be driven with a vengeance to make the play offs this season - it's play offs or retire no a bust for him. So I'd love to see him as our starting left mid this season. With the armband firmly in place.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 01-29-2010 at 01:30 PM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a) I think it's a little more thought out than "he played in spain - let's make him captain"

and b) serioux should NOT be at left back, we tried that a few times last year out of necessity and he's not good there. nana? I dunno, but do we want to be messing our brightest defensive prospect about by playing him out of position.

i agree i don't think Brennan's really the answer at lb any more, but hopefully we can get somneone else in rather than waste either nana or serioux out of position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Brennan wants to play a reduced role this season then I agree he should pass on the armband. Otherwise, I don't think there's anyone else who has shown they'd be a better captain. I agree Cronin looks like a guy who might be a captain down the line, we'll have to wait and see.

I still think the worse thing to happen to Brennan last year was playing 4-3-3 most of the season, sure he's getting older but its more than just that.

Agreed that Serioux should not play LB again, not sure why people are advocating that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    a) I think it's a little more thought out than "he played in spain - let's make him captain"

and b) serioux should NOT be at left back, we tried that a few times last year out of necessity and he's not good there. nana? I dunno, but do we want to be messing our brightest defensive prospect about by playing him out of position.

i agree i don't think Brennan's really the answer at lb any more, but hopefully we can get somneone else in rather than waste either nana or serioux out of position.
    a) the article says
    When TFC began, Brennan was go-to experienced veteran. Three years later, both Julian de Guzman and Dwayne de Rosario have clearer claims to that crown. One of them should take the mantle now.
    But the only "veteran" qualities that De Guzman could have over Brennan relate to the fact he played in Spain. It's certainly not MLS or TFC related veteran qualities and Brennan has been a Canadian international for as long as De Guzman has (I think). There's nothing else in the article to support De Guzman being given the armband. So it's not really based on much more than "oooo he played in SPAIN, let's give him the armband" (despite my sarcastic paraphrasing).

b) i completely agree that Serioux was not a great LB and that Nana should stay as a CB. But my point is that unless we sign a new LB, someone on the existing squad has to play there. And if that's the case, then I think both Serioux (if fit) and Nana would do a better job than Jimmy, based on last season. At the same time, we don;t really have anyone other than Jimmy to play left mid, certainly not as their natural position. So, new signings aside (and so far it only looks as though we are getting in CBs in defence, which is where both Serioux and Nana played for most of last season) my point still stands. But yeah, if we can get in a new LB and keep Nana as CB then that would defintiely be the best option.

Mrs Darlofletch will not be happy if she hears you were Jimmy-bashing on the boards, even indirectly...
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's based on (and admittedly these weren't the reasons given in the article), he's our best player (hopefully we'll actually see that this season), he's the best Canadian player right now, he's our DP, getting the big money, should be the face of the team, which some people add up to mean captain.

i don't necessarily agree that best player should mean captain, and i have no idea if de Guzman would be any good or would even want that, but the reasons why people would put him forward as an option are fairly obvious.

and i think even Mrs darlofletch, bless her biased little heart, realises that jimmy's not all that great at lb any more.