Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post

As for the other trialists/roster moves so far, doesn't it seem a bit strange that TFC is plundering the Colorado bench/rejects (Gargan, Peterson and I think there's another)? Preki knows something no one else does? Maybe they were mis-utilized by former coaches. I suppose Preki could just be dead wrong about judging talent but going from his track record, he has a reputation of squeezing the most out of players.
    Preki's noted for collecting no-name players who collectively work well. In a salary-capped league, that is gold.
    Despite Mo still being here, I actually have some hope for this season.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Preki's noted for collecting no-name players who collectively work well. In a salary-capped league, that is gold.
    Despite Mo still being here, I actually have some hope for this season.
    Agreed. In fact last year I felt that we had one of the most talented squad in MLS but underperformed. So Preki's abilities, combined with a very good core of players we have already, hopefully supplemented by these role players Preki is bringing in on trial (to replace dead wood), my hopes are up for a good season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only player I am really missing from last year is Guevara. 5 goals, 6 assists. Hopefully Preki can get someone to replace that (or he can get the others to step up).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Agreed. In fact last year I felt that we had one of the most talented squad in MLS but underperformed. So Preki's abilities, combined with a very good core of players we have already, hopefully supplemented by these role players Preki is bringing in on trial (to replace dead wood), my hopes are up for a good season.
    thats not to mention the fact that these guys might be good benchers, especially if we look at the promise of the guys currently on trial

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The only player I am really missing from last year is Guevara. 5 goals, 6 assists. Hopefully Preki can get someone to replace that (or he can get the others to step up).
    most of guevara's stats came from first half... i certainly dont miss his inconsistency
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mirko Medic of the serbian white eagles in the CSL has recently jointed TFC in orlando

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hrvat87 View Post
    Mirko Medic of the serbian white eagles in the CSL has recently jointed TFC in orlando
    CSL defender of the year. Blurb here: http://www.canadiansoccerleague.ca/n...news_id=205533

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ This is interesting. I've seen debates here, on the usector and V's board if there are players in the CSL who could play at the MLS level. Looks like we might get our answer.

Looks like Deris Umanzor will be trialing with TFC in Orlando too:

http://www.elgrafico.com/destacado-p...de-la-mls.html
    Last edited by UltraSuperMegaMo; 02-20-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    ^ This is interesting. I've seen debates here, on the usector and V's board if there are players in the CSL who could play at the MLS level. Looks like we might get our answer.

Is is a Guevara.......his full name is Deris Ariel Umanzor Guevara

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deris_Umanzor

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He's from El Salvador.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hrvat87 View Post
    He looks tough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, CSL has a bunch of players who could easily play in MLS. Some of them have already played at a higher level . Medic played pro in Europe before moving here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    LOL, CSL has a bunch of players who could easily play in MLS. Some of them have already played at a higher level . Medic played pro in Europe before moving here.
    To play devil's advocate, if the CSL has a bunch of players currently capable of playing in the MLS, why aren't they?

Yes, Medic has played in Europe, but with a bunch of second tier and lower teams. I think trialing him and other CSL players is a good idea, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To play devil's advocate, if the CSL has a bunch of players currently capable of playing in the MLS, why aren't they?

Yes, Medic has played in Europe, but with a bunch of second tier and lower teams. I think trialing him and other CSL players is a good idea, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes the team.
    BEcause football doesn't work like that. It's not purely based on talent; playing in lower pro leagues always pays pretty poorly, for one thing -- lots of players have left both USL and MLS over the years purely over money or family.

ANd there are also a few who were on their way to making it but were undone by being headcases. It's the same in semi-pro leagues in England.

So, yeah, there are guys who have the talent to play in MLS. But that doesn't mean they could a) afford it b) stick around for long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BEcause football doesn't work like that. It's not purely based on talent; playing in lower pro leagues always pays pretty poorly, for one thing -- lots of players have left both USL and MLS over the years purely over money or family.

ANd there are also a few who were on their way to making it but were undone by being headcases. It's the same in semi-pro leagues in England.

So, yeah, there are guys who have the talent to play in MLS. But that doesn't mean they could a) afford it b) stick around for long.
    Yes and No. The level you're playing at is indicative of your talent, especially regarding a player who's been around for a while. Granted people move up and down the ladder.

All and all I agree with what you're saying and like the idea of trialing players with CSL experience, but I think you're being naive if you believe many players in the CSL posses the talent to play in the MLS.

A good example of this, tons of CSL players played for TFC in the defunct reserve league. Not one of them was even offered a development contract and this was when TFC had 10 development roster spots. Several CSL players have trained / trialed with TFC, none of them made the team.

That "said", who else in the CSL do think could play in the MLS? Hurtis? Lammie?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and No. The level you're playing at is indicative of your talent, especially regarding a player who's been around for a while. Granted people move up and down the ladder.

All and all I agree with what you're saying and like the idea of trialing players with CSL experience, but I think you're being naive if you believe many players in the CSL posses the talent to play in the MLS.

A good example of this, tons of CSL players played for TFC in the defunct reserve league. Not one of them was even offered a development contract and this was when TFC had 10 development roster spots. Several CSL players have trained / trialed with TFC, none of them made the team.

That "said", who else in the CSL do think could play in the MLS? Hurtis? Lammie?
    jloome is rarely (never?) naive. Sometimes players need to keep a day job but still have a passion for football so they play in the CSL on the side. Perhaps a player like Medic comes to Canada not for the football but for their family. Why take an entry-level contract in MLS at $30 000/yr and have to give up better paying employment year-round if you have to put food on your table? Assuming that Medic is a quality player, why wouldn't he accept a trial with TFC for the chance that he would be offered $60- 75k? If he didn't get that, then it would be back to the CSL for him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were plenty of MLS-calibre players throughout the CSL who just can't afford to be paid $45 000 or less per year. That's just the way she goes right now in NA; perhaps in the next ten years we will see this changed and see better quality throughout the league overall.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... Said?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lammie, probably only at the backup level. But he's on my "Div. 2 potential undervalued players list" as appropriate to USL level. Viciknez could've played MLS when younger. I know Bedenikovic didn't make it on his TFC trial but I think he's skilled enough. Ramon Bailey had a shot and didn't make it, but it was a tough MetroStars team he was trying to crack.

Yeah, OK. Point made, there probably aren't many or any MLS stars in there. But there are a lot of journeymen players who could fill backup roles in MLS ably and who could start at a lot of USL-level teams. I don't think most of the time you'll find much difference between USL and the cream of the CSL.

The broader point for me, though, is that when you combine the various semi-pro and pro rosters across Canada, there are still a lot of hungry young guys who could move up, whether through a break overseas or whatever.

Wasn't half of Vaughan last year ex-pro players?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still no word on Ibrahim Said - is there yet?? is he coming at all?? anyone in the know??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to beat this CSL thing to death, especially in that as I stated above that I think trialing CSL players is a good move for the team, but where were you guys when this was discussed in the past and whole notion of CSL players playing in the MLS was deemed laughable?

I still think the check-mate in the argument is that CSL players who try out for the MLS don't get signed. I'm hoping Medic turns the tide a little. I think Lammie would be a good fit for TFC if he was willing to take a development spot (I know TFC has looked at him a couple of times).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ well there's plenty of ways to look at that. Contract issues for the low level guys come up quite a bit (and when the deck gets shuffled your always the first guy getting screwed). Tyler Hemming had salary issues, I wouldn't be too shocked if it was the same deal with Gaudet.

Of course most of the guys who try out won't sign. That's going to hold for any level. Most of our academy players will never be pro, most of the trialists we bring to camp will never play for TFC ..etc..

If your a guy like Medic who plays in the CSL, isn't young, probably is making more money in his full-time career right now than he ever will under the current MLS structure, there's very little incentive to go fully pro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lammie, probably only at the backup level. But he's on my "Div. 2 potential undervalued players list" as appropriate to USL level. Viciknez could've played MLS when younger. I know Bedenikovic didn't make it on his TFC trial but I think he's skilled enough. Ramon Bailey had a shot and didn't make it, but it was a tough MetroStars team he was trying to crack.

Yeah, OK. Point made, there probably aren't many or any MLS stars in there. But there are a lot of journeymen players who could fill backup roles in MLS ably and who could start at a lot of USL-level teams. I don't think most of the time you'll find much difference between USL and the cream of the CSL.

The broader point for me, though, is that when you combine the various semi-pro and pro rosters across Canada, there are still a lot of hungry young guys who could move up, whether through a break overseas or whatever.

Wasn't half of Vaughan last year ex-pro players?
    Like who?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    jloome is rarely (never?) naive. Sometimes players need to keep a day job but still have a passion for football so they play in the CSL on the side. Perhaps a player like Medic comes to Canada not for the football but for their family. Why take an entry-level contract in MLS at $30 000/yr and have to give up better paying employment year-round if you have to put food on your table? Assuming that Medic is a quality player, why wouldn't he accept a trial with TFC for the chance that he would be offered $60- 75k? If he didn't get that, then it would be back to the CSL for him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were plenty of MLS-calibre players throughout the CSL who just can't afford to be paid $45 000 or less per year. That's just the way she goes right now in NA; perhaps in the next ten years we will see this changed and see better quality throughout the league overall.

Thats why many of Montreal's and Van's players can be and are paid more than Nana last year. So why play for MLS at the entry level pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dickov's status still unclear. Leeds wants him but can't sign him unless they get an exception since he's already played for two teams this season.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle329819.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    He looks tough.

That's what a footballer should look like, give me 11 of these please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Dickov's status still unclear. Leeds wants him but can't sign him unless they get an exception since he's already played for two teams this season.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news...cle329819.html
    The fact that Leeds are making a legal case to try to sign him should put to rest any doubts about whether Dickov still has something to offer or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard as f*%k. Sign both these guys please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Very true...Well Said, I know a few players who played for the Portuguese league at Lamport stadium in the 90's who could make the MLS...However cam here to work and make between 60 and 75 grand in construction so playing for the MLS just would'nt work out with the wages the MLS payed out 18,000 to 30,000 and we had no MLS team anyways so once the player made his money in Canada he would return back to Portugal and play divison 2 or 3 soccer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Who is this guy... Eremenko ?

Toronto FC starting 11: Edwards, Gargan, Garcia, Harden, Brennan, Cronin, de Guzman, Saric, Kayizzi, De Rosario, Dickov

Toronto FC second half starting 11: Gilstrap, Gargan. Attakora, Gomez, Nane Joseph, Kayizzi, Emerenko, Robinson, Gala, Dickov, Bajic

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/te....jsp&team=t280
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Toronto FC starting 11: Edwards, Gargan, Garcia, Harden, Brennan, Cronin, de Guzman, Saric, Kayizzi, De Rosario, Dickov

Toronto FC second half starting 11: Gilstrap, Gargan. Attakora, Gomez, Nane Joseph, Kayizzi, Emerenko, Robinson, Gala, Dickov, Bajic

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/te....jsp&team=t280
    Finnish International who from reports would be a great addition to TFC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Eremenko