Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546
Results 1,351 to 1,377 of 1377
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    I think you may be missing the point here regarding our need for an out and out winger, someone who has the speed and ability to beat his man, get to the line and make decent crosses to the penalty box. Gargan does not fit that description whatsoever, he can certainly play right side of midfield but a winger he certainly is not.
    Gargan may not be an out and out winger, but he is more capable then any other option we currently have. Given the limited cap/roster space, its not likely that we can make too many moves. The most we could even dream of is 2 players. And even thats pushing it. Getting someone for RB, and getting someone for LB (someone that would be as good as, or better then Gargan) is the move I think we should make right now.

Gargan again isnt the prime choice, but he can cross the ball, and he has pace. He may not be able too dribble past defenders as well as we need, but with the limited resources, I think it would work out fine until the end of the season, when we can find someone better.

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Thanks Razor!!!

Appreciate the leg work
    No problem. What else am I going to do when I'm at work :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by razor787 View Post
    Gargan may not be an out and out winger, but he is more capable then any other option we currently have. Given the limited cap/roster space, its not likely that we can make too many moves. The most we could even dream of is 2 players. And even thats pushing it. Getting someone for RB, and getting someone for LB (someone that would be as good as, or better then Gargan) is the move I think we should make right now.

Gargan again isnt the prime choice, but he can cross the ball, and he has pace. He may not be able too dribble past defenders as well as we need, but with the limited resources, I think it would work out fine until the end of the season, when we can find someone better.

No problem. What else am I going to do when I'm at work :P
    O.K., see where your coming from now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anto7 View Post
    O.K., see where your coming from now.
    But if you ask me, Gargan is a better RB then he is a winger. So why not look for a winger and keep Gargan ar RB?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could get Stalteri and put Gargan at LB?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why this bloody silly fantasy about stalteri? HE IS NOT COMING ANYTIME SOON!
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    why this bloody silly fantasy about stalteri? HE IS NOT COMING ANYTIME SOON!
    Seriously, Jesus Christ.

Make a new thread about fantasy players that are currently under contract with teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can't Mo Johnston and Preki or there Scouting staff seemm to not be able to find decent Wingers Everybody from the Fans to Media thinks that is our only weakness. I do not get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    But if you ask me, Gargan is a better RB then he is a winger. So why not look for a winger and keep Gargan ar RB?
    I dont want just anyone to come in at RB. If they wont perform at the same level as Gargan, its no point. Sidra I believe can perform at Gargans level, or surpass it. He is also canadian, and I believe he can play on the wing, but its not his native position.

Gargan can play on the wing, and put up some respectable performances. He wouldnt be amazing on the wing, but in MLS, you cant always get the best.

Getting Sidra would not only help TFC, but as a Canadian, he would get experience working with CannAtta and would really solidify the back line on the CMNT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC Need a Scout situated in South America I will gladly take that position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont want just anyone to come in at RB. If they wont perform at the same level as Gargan, its no point. Sidra I believe can perform at Gargans level, or surpass it. He is also canadian, and I believe he can play on the wing, but its not his native position.

Gargan can play on the wing, and put up some respectable performances. He wouldnt be amazing on the wing, but in MLS, you cant always get the best.

Getting Sidra would not only help TFC, but as a Canadian, he would get experience working with CannAtta and would really solidify the back line on the CMNT.
    I saw Sidra play in that Freindly vs Venezuala and I was very impressed . I know he was at German Club Energie Cotbuss but according to the Voyaguers he is not under contract. Will be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, as far as I know, he is without a club. He would be an excellent signing. Still developing as a player, and already very good. We havent seen the best the kid can do, and he is already impressive. I would forgive mo if he grabbed him, but I doubt he has any plans at looking at him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, as far as I know, he is without a club. He would be an excellent signing. Still developing as a player, and already very good. We havent seen the best the kid can do, and he is already impressive. I would forgive mo if he grabbed him, but I doubt he has any plans at looking at him.
    I am not saying he is the next Antonio Cabrini or anything like that My only time I saw him play was that Venezuala game but I tell you I was impressed I think he will be a better option than Garcia (mind you Garcia has improved a lot this year) plus he is Canadian. And I do not want to see Montreal or Van City sign him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is miles better then Garcia. I think that if he performs consistantly, and keeps developing, he will be a better option then Gargan. I agree though, I would hate to see Van or Mtl sign him. With the domestic player rule, its not only vital to sign him so that we have his abilities, but to prevent them from gaining a great piece of talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid question time. Is there still a Reserve League in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont believe so. Pretty sure that was ended last season.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are planning to bring something back next year (could be in conjunction with USL/NASL, or not).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post
    Awful fucking news about Emilio. This is going to be a tough back end of the season. How we're supposed to have either the depth or the skill for both an MLS run and any meaningful success in the CCL is beyond me.

And so, the transfer window closes.
    I am not party to any insider info on this attempt to sign Izaguirre, and I am willing to give Mo at least the benefit of the doubt. Credit to him for at least trying to sign a player who would have been in my eyes a significant addition to our club. Getting beaten out by a big club like Celtic is no shame, especially with the challenges around cap space and allocation dollars in MLS.

Yet I can't stop thinking about Pablo Vitti and how he came to our club and the parallels to his signing and to the attempt to get Izaguirre under contract. In both cases Toronto played the club that each player was on (Vitti was with Independiente and Izaguirre of course was with Motagua) in a match and then Mo almost immediately set out to try and sign the player after just seeing them play TFC in person.

If this is how the TFC scouting department works (only trying to sign players that we see lining up against us) then I ask what have Mo, Jimmy Brennan and the rest of the scouting staff been doing over the past few months? Perhaps there are other irons in the fire that we don’t know about and perhaps we still may see some additional help for the run in, but based on precedent I have a lot of doubt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    And I do not want to see Montreal or Van City sign him.
    given that he's in Germany, I wonder if he'd have any interest in coming back here. given that he's born in Sudan, and grew up in Alberta, I'm not certain that coming to toronto would necessarily be a big plus.

But of course, Nick Dasovic would know the guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the thread.
    NO trialist signed. And even more damning, no one signed!
    MO has to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One guy to think about longer term would be Tam Nsaliwa. He'd actually have his name up there with the "best" Canadians at this moment if he was eligible to play for us (he is cap tied though).

Plays for Real Betis currently. Similar to JDG but less passing more destroying, and a little more gusto to take the man on.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    I am not party to any insider info on this attempt to sign Izaguirre, and I am willing to give Mo at least the benefit of the doubt. Credit to him for at least trying to sign a player who would have been in my eyes a significant addition to our club. Getting beaten out by a big club like Celtic is no shame, especially with the challenges around cap space and allocation dollars in MLS.

Yet I can't stop thinking about Pablo Vitti and how he came to our club and the parallels to his signing and to the attempt to get Izaguirre under contract. In both cases Toronto played the club that each player was on (Vitti was with Independiente and Izaguirre of course was with Motagua) in a match and then Mo almost immediately set out to try and sign the player after just seeing them play TFC in person.

If this is how the TFC scouting department works (only trying to sign players that we see lining up against us) then I ask what have Mo, Jimmy Brennan and the rest of the scouting staff been doing over the past few months? Perhaps there are other irons in the fire that we don’t know about and perhaps we still may see some additional help for the run in, but based on precedent I have a lot of doubt
    I'm reluctant to give Mo credit for just TRYING to sign someone. That would be ridiculous. Sports is a results-driven industry, and so you'd expect results: results from the players, and results from the coaches and managers.

I agree with you 100% that it's a bad idea to sign someone just because you liked what you saw when they played against your team, but in fairness, we can't say Mo has done that with players other than Vitti and Izaguirre.

Did we ever line up against La Coruna or Atletico Madrid? We've not, and we have a player from each. We also didn't line up against Danny Dichio's teams on the other side of the pond, but Mo had the sense to sign him.

Same with Robbo, Jimmy B, etc. Obviously this argument doesn't apply to MLS players against whom we play all the time. But between guys like La Brocca and Santos, it's also pretty clear that not all of Mo's MLS signings (yes, I know Santos was largely Preki) have been duds.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-27-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: delete personal insult

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    They are planning to bring something back next year (could be in conjunction with USL/NASL, or not).

I was reading on Big Soccer that if they bring the reserve league back next year teams would also be able to use Academy players in the reserve league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly news but Jennison Myrie-Williams, from a few pages back, is officially on the outs with Dundee United:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...td/8924692.stm

I assume he'd have to be released for TFC to sign him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those interested, another TFC trialist lands with a club:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ck/8957518.stm

Eremenko loaned to Kilmarnock for the season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting list of unsigned players in the UK. Amazing that DeMerit is not attached to anyone.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lists...-contract.html
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Interesting list of unsigned players in the UK. Amazing that DeMerit is not attached to anyone.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/lists...-contract.html
    Not really. He never matured into a top player and has had two serious injuries in the last year, including an eye injury that almost kept him off the world cup roster and led to surgery.

I can certainly see an MLS side would want him, but he's probably trying to get a club there first, as he's been there for nearly a decade now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the roster freeze now upon us, we'll continue speculations, rumours etc. in this thread:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24621
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto