Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This upcoming season is a win/win for the fans IMO. Mo doesn't have the wiggle room that he used to, it's time for results.

That's great for us because either TFC will be a success this year or Mo will get bounced and a big shake-up to the roster will happen.

either way, we win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man I'm super pumped for this season I can't wait anymore.

1. Preki
    2. full season for de Guzman
    3. hopefully O'Brian White breaks out
    4. grass at BMO
    5. definately some new players coming in since the roster is kinda short right now
    6. hopefully Gerba finds his form

CAN'T WAIT for preseason

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    The CBA issue is choking the life out of this off season.

It chills me to the bone that we could have a work stoppage. My only hope is that the players realize how fragile this league thinks it is. I cannot imagine the MLS brass giving in to many of the union's demands right now.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the union's demands, but it seems that this league is built on a fear of failure. The players should wait until Philly, Whitecaps (perhaps Portland) and the Impact boost the league. Then they put their feet down and demand change. Now is not the time.

Extend the CBA for 2 years, and then push the league towards the global standard.

Whenever it is changed, I also expect a higher level of 'profit sharing' to be the trade-off. In a league where the cap is 2ish million, I bet even a small amount of revenue sharing would go a long way. With revenue sharing I bet the league would be much more amenable to skewing the parity in teams. Ultimately, this league will go the way of the european leagues, at least in terms of powerhouses emerging and weaker franchises slipping down the tables. I think profit sharing will grease that slide, while simultaneously allowing the players more security and freedom.
    I don't think anyone playing in our league should be making 17,000 to 35,000. The minimum has to be raised.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post
    This upcoming season is a win/win for the fans IMO. Mo doesn't have the wiggle room that he used to, it's time for results.

That's great for us because either TFC will be a success this year or Mo will get bounced and a big shake-up to the roster will happen.

either way, we win.
    Dreamer, I can't see Mo being bounced but hope you're right, What execs actually know football @ MLSE? Remember our ownership and it's executive heavy. All the while the other newer teams are way past us. We will have to be very demanding!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_bhoy View Post

either way, we win.
    Agreed, even though last season was suppose to be like that....but instead, MLSE extended Mo's contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Dreamer, I can't see Mo being bounced but hope you're right, What execs actually know football @ MLSE? Remember our ownership and it's executive heavy. All the while the other newer teams are way past us. We will have to be very demanding!
    You're right. They might not know soccer at all, but they do know how important it is for TFC to make it to the playoffs this season so(causal) fans still have interest on this team. Right now, the interest is dying off, and MLSE knows that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My feelings for this upcoming season: I too have mixed feelings about this season. We didn't really improve much at all. We still lack quality defenders, wingers and a striker (with speed and natural scoring ability). But on the bright side, we got a quality coach, grass and our core players aren't too bad at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had high hopes last season, and they were grounded out. What's worse is just how much of a difference our side would have been if they were able to capitalize on half their scoring chances and were able to not give up goals past the 75 minute mark. What's more, the team that squeaked past us on the last day of the season, Real Salt Lake, went on to win it all.

So with a new coach, new turf, and some new players that came in later in the season, I'd like to have the same high hopes that I had last season. But, you never know.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorta mixed about the upcoming season as well. On one hand, I'm really glad the Johnston/Carver/Cummins coaching drama is behind us; but on the other hand, I'm still expecting more changes to the squad. We still have a feel of incompleteness with the team. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but we seem about 90% to the place we want to be.

The other factor I'm considering is the status of the NCC. As far as I'm concerned, things are still up in the air for the Impact and Whitecaps regarding their eligibility for the tournament. I mean, I think that they are most likely going to take part, but I don't think that's been 100% confirmed.

The main thing is that we've got the grass coming in and the Argos off our backs for the forseeable future. That should mean more effort devoted to putting together a play-off contention team.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 01-16-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    The other factor I'm considering is the status of the NCC. As far as I'm concerned, things are still up in the air for the Impact and Whitecaps regarding their eligibility for the tournament. I mean, I think that they are most likely going to take part, but I don't think that's been 100% confirmed..
    everything's OK on that front. the CSA has given its stamp of approval for the 2010 NCC with the Caps, Limp act, and TFC. The big question was whether CONCACAF would allow the winner of the NCC to go to champions league.. But now with the USSF approving of the new Div 2 (with Caps and Limp Act in the NASL conference/division) it should be fine.

We gotta hold up our unbeaten streak against Montreal... 3 wins and a tie!

TFC christened Stade Saputo with its first goal.. then won the NCC there... it's a good luck field
    Last edited by rocker; 01-16-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I start every season with no expectations but only hopes.

And with DeRo and yes even the overpaid DeGuzman, I see playoffs at least with this team.

And a manager that will be here for the entire season! Imagine that!

TFC may fumble and bumble...but sometimes even while in the midst of shooting oneself in the foot, you may find some success on the pitch. I think this is the year (finally) and if we get into the playoffs, we have some players that could carry us deep.

So I will choose not to be negative until we get closer to the first game and Mo still hasn't found us a decent defender...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post

And with DeRo and yes even the overpaid DeGuzman, I see playoffs at least with this team.

TFC may fumble and bumble...but sometimes even while in the midst of shooting oneself in the foot, you may find some success on the pitch. I think this is the year (finally) and if we get into the playoffs, we have some players that could carry us deep.

So I will choose not to be negative until we get closer to the first game and Mo still hasn't found us a decent defender...
    I maintain the team we have now is better than the one we started the season with last year. And we have a manager that has proven he can make playoffs. It's just a matter of finding a few weapons to fill the gaping holes in certain parts of our team.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I am hopeful that TFC will improve their on field performance I also believe in setting personal expectations for the team and my own experience with them to come...
    Do I expect them to win every game? No
    Do I expect them to try and win every game... from kickoff to final whistle? Yes
    Do I expect them to improve upon last season vis a vis late game performance? Yes
    Do I expect that the team/franchise will truly care what the fans think? No
    Do I expect that the franchise will worry if support, and cash flow, starts to drop off? Yes
    Do I expect to enjoy myself supporting the team? Yes
    Do I expect the team to improve to the point where they make the playoffs? Yes

Am I impatient for the season to start? Not yet... but I think I will be before long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am laying of Mo until the MLS contract talks are done, right now he has an excuse.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I am laying of Mo until the MLS contract talks are done, right now he has an excuse.

Yup. If we go into our first game like last year with him still "looking" for a defender...I am officially going into "Mo Blasting" mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im actually really excited for this comming season. And all though MLSE in the passed decade havent reeally given a shit how there teams do i am starting to think MLSE is starting to feel the pressure a bit from Leaf, Raptors and TFC fans that Toronto seriously needs to get a winning team. I think Toronto has some good players, and got some great young players in the near future who might make a power house for TFC. This year i think will be a forsure inprovement from last season, Champions in 2010??? i dont know its MLS anyone can win once you make the playoffs. I truelly think tho few years from now we will be a great team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. If we go into our first game like last year with him still "looking" for a defender...I am officially going into "Mo Blasting" mode.
    Same here. I assume some moves are still going to be made regarding our roster, once the contract dispute is settled?

If we walk into next season with the team as it stands now, I will be a very unhappy guy. All we've done so far is shed some talent, and pick up a 17 year old.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Am I looking forward to the season in terms of performance on the field? I have mixed expectations and high hopes. Not sold on the Mo-Preki balance of power situation and that it won't unravel if times get tough. Not sold on our ability to score and defend a lead when it matters. But I am sold on the idea of change, a full season of JDG and the cap room that should translate into players to address the above.

But am I looking forward to a cold home opener? Seeing BMO in lights and the game played on grass? Of kicking the ball around in the parking lot with my kids? Of holding my daughter up to the sky when we score? Of watching my son wave his supporter's flag with pride? Of singing next to complete strangers and knowing they get "it" too? Of post game chanting in the summer heat? Of being in a parade (not THAT parade... not that there is anything wrong with it) of red and white marching to a stadium to ignite the masses? Of rain soaked humid afternoon games and late winter playoff chases? And of the lights being turned out at the end of it all and being incredibly thankful for being alive to have experienced it all?

You betcha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does nobody have the plane tickets to brazil ready yet?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically we can't even play in this league yet, because we don't have enough players to even field a lineup with subs.

I can see us bringing in a lot of players in the 25-29 age group this year. Maybe a guy like Will Johnson or Dejan Jakovic.

I'm also hearing rumbles of a Carlos Calvo from Spain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carlos Calvo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Calvo is a decent player....why would he leave Xerez?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Calvo_Sobrado

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite being a complete league dormat, I`ve seen enough of La Liga this year to say that Xerez has a few players. I assume he'd have a few options before coming over to MLS.

Where is the info coming from?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-17-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    But am I looking forward to a cold home opener? Seeing BMO in lights and the game played on grass? Of kicking the ball around in the parking lot with my kids? Of holding my daughter up to the sky when we score? Of watching my son wave his supporter's flag with pride? Of singing next to complete strangers and knowing they get "it" too? Of post game chanting in the summer heat? Of being in a parade (not THAT parade... not that there is anything wrong with it) of red and white marching to a stadium to ignite the masses? Of rain soaked humid afternoon games and late winter playoff chases? And of the lights being turned out at the end of it all and being incredibly thankful for being alive to have experienced it all?

You betcha.
    Best. Post. Ever!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly just a few weeks ago I would have said I had mixed feeling about the upcoming season and that I was not very excited in truth. But in the past few weeks, and to be honest I have no idea why, I have been able to think of little else beside the coming season and I have become more excited than I can remember about TFC for quite some time. I think this season is going to be great, we have a proven MLS manager, grass!!!, hopefully a squad ( prehaps not yet complete ) but one that won't be changed every week so we can build consistancy and a good team chemistry, and we have the most passionate fans that any team could want behind them. Not to sound too ridiculous but really I have been thinking of match day in great detail, the smell of the food, the chants, the buzz of the home opener, the matchday programs ( hopefully these are a go ), just everything! I think sometime we take for granted how amazing it is that we have this team and sold out crowd every match, we get lost in the obsession for results and forget about the passion for the game itself. Here's to another great season for ourselves, our city and our club!
    Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You betcha.[/quote]

Great post!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing with the MLS is that a lot of unknown (to most soccer fans) players come to play their careers here and its hard to see how they pan out until they are actually on the field. Remember how excited we were about Vitti and look how that worked out. I think we have a good base group of players (JDG, DeRo, Cronin, Frei) to build around but we need some of those unknowns to come in here and make a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have faith in Preki.

Guevara is long gone, which is a good thing b/c, 1) they have already begun defining this team, its strategy, its system and Guevara became a spare part, 2) Guevara would have been missing anyway for about a month during the world cup, causing headaches and instability on TFC's roster during that time.

I don't think talent was the issue last year (at least toward the end), it was the fact that we had clueless individuals running the team since day 1 in 2007.