RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Latest on Lapira - in case you care.

Aberdeen trial Republic of Ireland striker Lapira
    tribalfootball.com - June 13, 2008

Aberdeen have taken once-capped Republic of Ireland striker Joe Lapira on trial, reports the Daily Record.
    Lapira, who played for United States minnows Baton Rouge Capitals in 2007, also had a brief spell training with Rangers last summer which was cut short by a calf injury.

The rest can be found at http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98178
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tell you, it was a huge mistake for him not to come here. And I don't mean that simply because we're TFC supporters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I tell you, it was a huge mistake for him not to come here. And I don't mean that simply because we're TFC supporters.
    You don't know that. You just want it to be that way.

Today, sitting on the end of an MLS bench, making $17K, isn't exactly a shortcut to football success.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Today, sitting on the end of an MLS bench, making $17K, isn't exactly a shortcut to football success.
    I want it like that? Well, no. As for the bench remark, that's a good point but doesn't that look better than moving from place to place after failed trials?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Lapira is so good, then how come he can't play for a good club? I bet you any money that TFC are better than his current club.

This just speaks volume how good this kid really is, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're definitely better then his current club.....he is unattached.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never met Lapira, but for whatever reason I feel protective of the guy. He has been ripped ten ways to Sunday for doing something that any 21 year old thinks about - seeing the world a bit.

Also, there is some preconceived notion that secondary Euro leagues are some huge step below MLS, which just isn't true at this point. especially from a player development POV.

Very, very, very few players have ever come out of MLS and made real euro-style money.

So cut the kid some slack - he looks like someone who knows what the odds are, and is making his choices accordingly.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-14-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't he the consesus #1 pick that nobody wanted because everyone knew he was going to Europe? If so I am sure he would have made much more than dev money. I would have thought he would command generation adidas $$$.

Still I agree you can't blame the guy for trying his luck overseas. If it doesn't work out we still own his rights (not sure for how long...1 year?) and he can be dealt or signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think the article from tribalfootball is accurate - in fact I think it’s a mistaken reprint of a Jan 18th article, as Lapria was trialing with Aberdeen at the time.

His wiki says he’s current with Nybergsund I.L. in Norway.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lapira

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys: If you do care, there are good posts about current Lapira news on more reputable boards. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is only 21.
    If he was patient / Smart and signed with us, with the midfield we have now he will be brilliant, shine and his stock will rise for europenan powerhouses to invite him with real considerations. Example= Jozy
    Last edited by kdzb; 06-15-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell that to Jarrod Smith who was playing USL-2 a year or so ago or somewhere in New Zealand. Or maybe you should ask Nyassi or Dube or the plethora of other guys that are making a mark and getting playing time on a developmental contract. I don't knock the kid for trying, but he was absolutely determined not to give it a go when all things failed. Look at the highlights of 2nd division in Norway. Its is definetely worse than MLS and they play in front of 1,000 people.....MLS is a good option and when the CBA changes it will be even better for young players.

and he was offered more than a developmental contract. He would have made about 60-70K
    Last edited by DigzTFC!; 06-15-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    Tell that to Jarrod Smith who was playing USL-2 a year or so ago or somewhere in New Zealand. Or maybe you should ask Nyassi or Dube or the plethora of other guys that are making a mark and getting playing time on a developmental contract. I don't knock the kid for trying, but he was absolutely determined not to give it a go when all things failed. Look at the highlights of 2nd division in Norway. Its is definetely worse than MLS and they play in front of 1,000 people.....MLS is a good option and when the CBA changes it will be even better for young players.

and he was offered more than a developmental contract. He would have made about 60-70K
    For every Smith or Nyassi there are 25 guys who rot on the MLS development squads before washing out. Sure there are guys who make it, but they are by a large margin the exception.

Re Norway, no argument. I'm not saying that's a path to glory, either! The odds are long for him, whether he goes to Europe or stays here.

How many homegrown quality strikers have there been in MLS? Twellman, Altidore, Cunningham, Adu, Donovan (sort of, he belonged to Bayer Leverkusen when he was young but was loaned to MLS), one or two others...not a lot in 12 years. Every team in the league goes out and rents veteran strikers - what does that say to any young NCAA striker?

Re making 60-70K, that doesn't change my point, really....it wouldn't be enough to sway me if I wanted some adventure, a Lapira can always make that much selling insurance (or some such) if his career doesn't pan out
    Last edited by ensco; 06-15-2008 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's still in Norway, still with Nybergson, ... http://www.sundet-fotball.no/
    12th out of 16 teams

and currently he's their top goal scorer...
    .....if you click on sesongen08, then click on Statistikker... 5 goals for

if you click on LAGENE, then click Sillerstallen 2008 and watch the panels, Lapira is number 11 ... and tell me that #21 Kristian isn't a female

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still have his rights don't we?

Any experience he gets is good and maybe someday he'll return to North America. Jarrod Smith took a year away to gai some experience, i think it helped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Click around on his site on Norwegian TV2, see him score, see him play indoors, wonder at his gnomish appearance! Click on Hoydepunkter.

http://tv2.no/jsport/element.do?cmd=...62&teamId=2060

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For every Smith or Nyassi there are 25 guys who rot on the MLS development squads before washing out. Sure there are guys who make it, but they are by a large margin the exception.
    And how is this different than any other developmental system in any league around the world?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noochie View Post
    And how is this different than any other developmental system in any league around the world?
    Nope. That's what I'm saying.

So given that, why not seek some adventure? If you happen to defy the odds and make a real career out of football, all the better.