Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    I believe it is the final straw to some people. After everything the last 7 years some people would just cut thier losses and leave. To them it's them not taking this team seriously.
    Lots of people on these boards might have a problem but I believe the majority of fans accept teams sharing stadiums. I wouldn't be too happy but i'm not going to stop following this team over a shared stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So are the Argos going to go red or TFC blue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let Argos have BMO and MLSE build a new 20 k state of the art SSS at the corner of Shepard and the Allen. Subway access, tons of parking and central location to all of GTA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Lots of people on these boards might have a problem but I believe the majority of fans accept teams sharing stadiums. I wouldn't be too happy but i'm not going to stop following this team over a shared stadium.
    And neither am I. Just sharing the thoughts of many people I have seen around. Could all be gesturing as well but still it's a possibility that a lot of people will leave.

I for one do have a big problem with it. Did you see Houston's pitch today? High holy hell it was fucking atrocious. I would never want our lads playing on a torn up pitch. Crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Are 8 Argos home games - beginning midway through the MLS season - enough to drive people away? Fair question.
    #ArgosComeIgo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will sell everything and cancel everything tfc for ever

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I believe this rumour. I don't know the poster, but it feels right. The business logic is compelling.

Leiweke will say "I got you a roof, I stopped them from putting turf in, TFC will have preferential access to dates, we're putting in more washrooms, I am your friend, blah blah blah".

This is about protecting TSN's meal ticket and about playing NHL games, and lots of them, at premium prices at BMO. TFC's concerns aren't even in the real conversation.
    THIS! Does anyone think MLSE would look after TFC's best interest if they buy the Argos and transform BMO Field into a stadium that incorporates CFL football and other events like outdoor Leaf games? Fuck no! This would make TFC a second class citizen in its own house because a whole lot of factors would push and pimp the Argos as the number one tenant in a refurbished BMO Field.

I'm so fucking angry at the thought of this. The Argos left the original stadium ideal to die on the vine so they could play somewheres rent free because they're cheap bastards. Now with all these rumors about them moving in to BMO Field, we're supposed to smile and take it up the ass just because Leiweke promised us a roof.

I wish more people got into his face about this. With all the front office changes and mismanagement that has happened to this team, no one has ever tried to make nice with the Argos about sharing the stadium until now!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this happens, and its still a long way from done, I don't see the Argos being the #1 tenant.

Not enough games, and less money spent per body at the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This year the Argo's first home preseason game was on June 20th, the last regular season home game is on November 1st.
    The way the standings are now, looks like the Argos will have a home playoff game on November 17th as well.

Between August 18th and September 3rd the Argos played three home games, that's three games in sixteen days.

After watching the New York at Houston game, I'd dread playing on a pitch like that if we ever get a sniff at the playoffs.

Last edited by Petor; 10-21-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't there a fan protest against Argos the last time a stadium-share was seriously considered? Back when supporter #s were stronger. My memory is a bit foggy on that one.

I'm finding it hard to believe that MLSE would be willing to alienate the few remaining 'hardcore supporters'. If anything, I've always thought more success on pitch would lead to them relying on RPB and others to help get the buzz-wagon going again.

I'm on the fence about retaining my seats. But I don't like the idea of the necessary evil, a deal with the devil if you will, just to help get the stadium upgrades I've always wanted.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Wasn't there a fan protest against Argos the last time a stadium-share was seriously considered? Back when supporter #s were stronger. My memory is a bit foggy on that one.

I'm finding it hard to believe that MLSE would be willing to alienate the few remaining 'hardcore supporters'. If anything, I've always thought more success on pitch would lead to them relying on RPB and others to help get the buzz-wagon going again.

I'm on the fence about retaining my seats. But I don't like the idea of the necessary evil, a deal with the devil if you will, just to help get the stadium upgrades I've always wanted.
    No there was not a protest.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    i told you the info. You can believe it or fuck off , doesn't really matter to me.
    Classy. I wonder if I said the same to you would I get some infraction? I imagine I would.

I'm not really sure what you said classifies as info, nor does it make a lot of sense, but who is anyone to question you seeing as that you've been here since 2007?
    Last edited by Tony Santiago; 10-21-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not quite ready to jump off the ledge yet - this story has been going on and on during the course of this season, and until there is some kind of confirmation that there will indeed be a groundshare with Argos, I'm not going to get too worked up about it. Having said that though, it's the option that makes the most sense, and that's what I fear will eventually end up happening. It may be time to seriously give thought to supporting a possible future GTA NASL club - as long as MLSE owns TFC, I just don't see them making this club a priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I'm not quite ready to jump off the ledge yet - this story has been going on and on during the course of this season, and until there is some kind of confirmation that there will indeed be a groundshare with Argos, I'm not going to get too worked up about it. Having said that though, it's the option that makes the most sense, and that's what I fear will eventually end up happening. It may be time to seriously give thought to supporting a possible future GTA NASL club - as long as MLSE owns TFC, I just don't see them making this club a priority.
    I disagree. What makes most sense FOR ARGOS to get their own stadium. They can make more money and their owner can sell the team easier while getting a huge ROI.

Sharing with TFC isn't going to solve much for Argos. They will still face the same problems like they do with Rogers Centre. Schedule and less revenue by sharing their revenue with the city and/or MLSE for using BMO field.

It only makes sense for Argos to move to BMO field if they owned by MLSE.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    It only makes sense for Argos to move to BMO field if they owned by MLSE.
    Exactly. And I think this has the most chance of happening...I don't exactly see prospective buyers for the Argos lining up around the block.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. And I think this has the most chance of happening...I don't exactly see prospective buyers for the Argos lining up around the block.
    It depends if TSN (which means Bell) needs the Canadian Content that the CFL provides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Santiago View Post
    Classy. I wonder if I said the same to you would I get some infraction? I imagine I would.

I'm not really sure what you said classifies as info, nor does it make a lot of sense, but who is anyone to question you seeing as that you've been here since 2007?
    I was told the construction company has plans for BMO field renovations including roofs along with other renovations to the stadium with signatures signed, and what sounds like dated either completion for 2015 or start of the construction in 2015. I said it's a done deal because at the time that sure sounds like what a done deal looks like to me. Now maybe the signatures are the own companies and Exhibition or the City of Toronto actually have to sign as well before it's an actual deal, I don't know, maybe I said done deal a bit early but it sounded like one to me. What I am telling you that is true for sure is there is plans for renovations of BMO field that are mapped out and planned, which is a lot further along then I think many of us were aware. Anyways that is all I have which I said was brief conversation at the time, I did not go into deep details. It is what it is.
    Last edited by james; 10-21-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently 3 or 4 parties have shown interest buying the Argos. However, if Argos get their own stadium, then there will be more interest buying the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    This year the Argo's first home preseason game was on June 20th, the last regular season home game is on November 1st.
    The way the standings are now, looks like the Argos will have a home playoff game on November 17th as well.

Between August 18th and September 3rd the Argos played three home games, that's three games in sixteen days.

After watching the New York at Houston game, I'd dread playing on a pitch like that if we ever get a sniff at the playoffs.

If Argos come to BMO field 1 of 2 things will happen. 1 - Stay with real grass, most the season games will be planned and scheduled with gaps between Argos and TFC games giving them enough time to try and patch up the grass after an Argos game as well as get the CFL yard lines off the field. This will work for the most part I believe but there will be a time when TFC will have either Concacaf Champions League games or playoff games that are not scheduled till usually a month to as soon as 1 or 2 weeks before the game which will end up being the same week as an Argos game meaning the pitch will be covered with holes and CFL yard lines all over the pitch, it will be ugly. Or get rid of the real grass, replace with grass that is used for the White Caps or Seattle Sounders. The grass will not be in complete ruins and would probably be more easy to get the lines off the field. However I think team Canada may start to play games in Montreal where there is a stadium with real grass. So anyone who cares about going to see Canada games the fake pitch may stop them from playing at BMO field. Even with fake grass a team could still end up getting stuck playing on CFL lined football lines at some point, I saw Seattle Sounders had to play a game with Seahawks Touchdowns and NFL yard lines all over the field before.
    Last edited by james; 10-21-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already stated by TL that we won't be going artificial as it would impede our ability to attract top DP talent.

I can just see the CFL schedule makers now: "so you are saying that we can't put a game on this weekend because the soccer team might have a game that week??? How does a sport not know if games will be played" takes sip from beer helmet

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Currently 3 or 4 parties have shown interest buying the Argos. However, if Argos get their own stadium, then there will be more interest buying the Argos.
    What would be ideal is if a buyer (other than MLSE) with rich pockets came in and bought the Argos, and built their own stadium in Downsview or wherever. The Argos can piss right off if they think I'm interested in my taxes going to support the building of a stadium for a franchise that has a tenuous hold on relevancy in this market at best (and yes, I realize the irony of saying that as a TFC supporter). But I fear that the likelihood of that happening isn't great. With Bell (along with Rogers) owning MLSE, I just feel their interest in the Argos is a real one, and the Argos may feel that a move to BMO is sufficient to revive interest in the franchise (a la Alouettes moving to their stadium from the cavernous Big Owe).
    Last edited by tfcleeds; 10-21-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Already stated by TL that we won't be going artificial as it would impede our ability to attract top DP talent.

I can just see the CFL schedule makers now: "so you are saying that we can't put a game on this weekend because the soccer team might have a game that week??? How does a sport not know if games will be played" takes sip from beer helmet
    I would not trust very much of what TL says. He's willing to twist and turn things in multiple directions in an attempt to get what he wants. The reason we're not getting field turf isn't because of world class players, it's because when that idea was brought up the fan base got angry in a hurry. Now the spin is we are going to get all these nice stadium renovations, but he's quiet on the major point which is that we can only do those if we get a football team. I'm sure that will be conveniently mentioned later on. He's already trying to sell the fact that other MLS teams share with football teams and it's no big deal. It's simply the final shoe to drop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would be ideal is if a buyer (other than MLSE) with rich pockets came in and bought the Argos, and built their own stadium in Downsview or wherever. The Argos can piss right off if they think I'm interested in my taxes going to support the building of a stadium for a franchise that has a tenuous hold on relevancy in this market at best (and yes, I realize the irony of saying that as a TFC supporter). But I fear that the likelihood of that happening isn't great. With Bell (along with Rogers) owning MLSE, I just feel their interest in the Argos is a real one, and the Argos may feel that a move to BMO is sufficient to revive interest in the franchise (a la Alouettes moving to their stadium from the cavernous Big Owe).
    Government funding will be part of Argos new stadium. City (outside of Toronto) is going to pay for it along with Argos owner. Argos most likely going to move to 905 region if they want to get some government funding. There's 3 or 4 cities in GTA who are interested of building a stadium with Argos.

Also, it's possible if Argos do build their own stadium that they might try to get a soccer team to fill in days when Argos aren't playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I refuse to watch TFC at home on a pitch with CFL football lines. If they choose to go that route, then I'm out. That would be the last straw as far as me being a season ticket holder.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where would TFC go if they started doing renos at BMO? A roof is one thing, but retractable stands? Different ball game. If they do it section by section, this will take 3 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All it means is PCL has the plans. Could of been BBB showing it to PCL engineers to get the sign off on being able to do it.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Where would TFC go if they started doing renos at BMO? A roof is one thing, but retractable stands? Different ball game. If they do it section by section, this will take 3 years.
    They'll need to rebuild the East Stand to hold the massive locker rooms that Gridiron needs. With the numbers we're attracting, I think we can all fit in the stadium without it for a year

Maybe that's why they're really waiting until January for our money...relocation of all the East Stand SSH's.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from the locker room, do they not need to move the north and south stands as well? I'm excited to see the lines for washrooms and beer with half the stadium closed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF a reno happens, the west side needs to be redone as well.

Heck, in theory, the only thing that would still be around would be the North Side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep they would have to demolish the south and east stands. The field doesn't fit. And realistically the Argos already did a study of coming to BMO and they deemed it not possible to use BMO. So I don't understand where everyone is still thinking this is happening.

Plus there SSH don't want to go to BMO. Huge backlash in even the thought. As much as there's people saying if giridiorn lines on BMO there gone it's the same with the Argos SSH and we both can't afford to have people walk away . Especially the Argos