RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Argos unlikely to play at BMO Field in 2014

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1401891/

It is highly unlikely likely the Toronto Argonauts will be playing home games next season at BMO Field, the 20,000-seat home of Major League Soccer's Toronto FC.

CFL sources say the idea of a potential Argos move to BMO Field was discussed during last week's management council meetings in Las Vegas, where team presidents and GM's met to go over league business. While no formal vote was taken, sources say there was a “strong consensus” around the table not to allow the Argos to play their games at a facility where CFL field dimensions would have to be altered.
    Last edited by denime; 12-16-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Gixmo

Positive news for the grass, I felt it's pain..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good. They can Fuck right off!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank gawd

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But what about 2011?

I have the sinking feeling that this will continue plague BMO for as long as the Argos exist.

Gixmo

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    But what about 2011?

I have the sinking feeling that this will continue plague BMO for as long as the Argos exist.
    ... Exist.. 2011... that's another cup of steaming tea...

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wonder how this is all gonna end up down the line. Will the city just give in to their demands and build them a new stadium, or is the lack of their own controlled venue going to spark a move out of the city altogether? Personally, I think club won't be in Toronto for long. That's saying something, as I was a HUGE Argonauts fan before TFC told over my life.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    But what about 2011?

Perhaps 2010 has been ruled out because no structural modifications to BMO Field can be made in time for the upcoming season. I'm hoping that as long as the field and locker room dimensions at BMO remain soccer-sized, the CFL executives will look down on any plan for the Argos to play there.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's what I mean.

Just because they won't be able to play at BMO in 2010, it doesn't mean that this issue is dead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I just wonder how this is all gonna end up down the line. Will the city just give in to their demands and build them a new stadium, or is the lack of their own controlled venue going to spark a move out of the city altogether? Personally, I think club won't be in Toronto for long. That's saying something, as I was a HUGE Argonauts fan before TFC told over my life.
    I agree with Cashzilla.
    I was pretty into the argos before TFC.
    I woudn't be surprised if the Argos played in Mississauga or Barrie or Oshawa.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think they were ever going to play in 2010 as for 2011 it means the argos will have to pay to modify the field and hte question then is can they afford it?
    I dont think its a concern but it should always be in the back of our minds

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010 was always out of the question for the Argos. Their President, Bob Nicholson, said as much in an open end-of-season letter to their season ticket holders. Season tickets have been sold for the Rogers Centre already.

It's 2011 we need to be potentially worried about.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Brailey takes over the Argos, I wonder if a possible move from the Dome is more or less likely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    If Brailey takes over the Argos, I wonder if a possible move from the Dome is more or less likely.
    I'm guessing it would be less likely. My guess is he either keeps them at the Dome, or maybe begins work to try and get them their own stadium.

BMO Field is not a long-term solution - the money required to renovate BMO Field could pay for more than half of a new stadium for themselves. Not to mention the locker rooms aren't a proper size for CFL football.

So if Brailey got the team, I expect him to go in a new direction.

To be honest, I'm still not convinced this sabre-rattling about moving to BMO is anything more than a smoke-screen to continue getting a good deal from Rogers Centre.

Paul Beeston is now essentially running the Dome, and is expected to end the Argos' current free ride there.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I'm guessing it would be less likely. My guess is he either keeps them at the Dome, or maybe begins work to try and get them their own stadium.

BMO Field is not a long-term solution - the money required to renovate BMO Field could pay for more than half of a new stadium for themselves. Not to mention the locker rooms aren't a proper size for CFL football.

So if Brailey got the team, I expect him to go in a new direction.

To be honest, I'm still not convinced this sabre-rattling about moving to BMO is anything more than a smoke-screen to continue getting a good deal from Rogers Centre.

Paul Beeston is now essentially running the Dome, and is expected to end the Argos' current free ride there.

- Scott
    This seems quite logical. A figure of $30 million, for example, would be a huge amount of money for a team to invest in a stadium, considering that the Argos would be a second-tier tenant to TFC. If the Argos pursued their own stadium, they would enjoy all of the benefits of being the prime sports team in such a facility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As stated above 2010 was always unlikely but it's a good hear that there's strong opposition within the CFL owners against playing on a non-regulation field.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    As stated above 2010 was always unlikely but it's a good hear that there's strong opposition within the CFL owners against playing on a non-regulation field.
    I'm gladdened to see this too. I'm still worried Cohon might compromise, because of the superior atmosphere a place like BMO Field would provide (due to there being no empty upper bowl).

But again, this would be no long-term solution. They'd be tenants in someone else's building again, paying actual rent this time, and not sharing in any of the revenue MLSE gets from things like parking and concessions, due to running the place for the city.

And even if they make the place bigger, the locker rooms will still be undersized for bigger CFL roster and equipment needs. The stadium will also still contain TFC branding all over the lace, the stands will still contain half of the TFC logo, and the seats will still be red.

It makes sense from a strict gameday atmosphere perspective, but if you think about it for more than five seconds, it all starts to make less sense.

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Thanks for posting - I'm keeping my eyes peeled to see what this Report says.

Having this issue settled and having TFC and Soccer being the only tenant / sport that is played at BMO would make my Christmas.

I am hopeful this Report puts a huge kybosh on the whole idea for good. I know that's not likely (I do agree 2011 is still a threat), but the economics don't make sense for conversion.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible the Argos could move to BMO for the 2011 season, but that would require an estimated $15 million to reconfigure the stadium for football.
    No way they will invest more than salaries into Argos anytime soon.

In addition, the report says that BMO dressing rooms designed for relatively small soccer teams are totally inadequate for football teams that carry 42 players plus coaches.

Never thought about dressing rooms being to small,nice.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we can put down the pitchforks for a year? Good.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a new twist.
    Move the Argos to University stadium in KW. Expend the stadium from 7k to 20k. (surely Balsillie or someone could finance this)

I bet the KW area would band behind a team like Hamilton or Regina does.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kudos to MLSE here. They are terrific at the behind-the-scenes elements of these public-private skirmishes.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were Cynamon and Sokolowski thinking?.... really:

In addition, the report says that BMO dressing rooms designed for relatively small soccer teams are totally inadequate for football teams that carry 42 players plus coaches
    42 CFL players with their crap load of gear in a soccer locker room??? You have to be kidding me...

They have to be delusional...
    Last edited by FluSH; 12-16-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible the Argos could move to BMO for the 2011 season, but that would require an estimated $15 million to reconfigure the stadium for football.
    We need a permanent roof over the South End NOW! This will stop the possibility of the South Stands ever moving...

Time to start the roof Fundraising $10 Million to go!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarsippius View Post
    Thanks for posting - I'm keeping my eyes peeled to see what this Report says.

Having this issue settled and having TFC and Soccer being the only tenant / sport that is played at BMO would make my Christmas.

I am hopeful this Report puts a huge kybosh on the whole idea for good. I know that's not likely (I do agree 2011 is still a threat), but the economics don't make sense for conversion.
    Do you think this report will be available to the public?
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Star (print version) mentionned that the CFL will make an official announcement today. They may have better luck expanding a university stadium like York or U of T. I would imagine if they are stuck at the Rogers Centre for next season, they may just sign a multi year deal - that would be sweet. Then we can worry about it 48 months from now. . .
    Father. . . Husband. . . Freemason. . . Redpatch Boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No surpsises here, common sense has prevailed, and thankfully so....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varsity was just waiting to be reno'ed beautifully and they f'ed it up. I know that TFC may not have existed if the double blue had gotten the Varsity stadium, but it would have been great as a facility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    No surpsises here, common sense has prevailed, and thankfully so....
    ^ Frankly, common sense is in short supply these days, especially in the public realm and I for one wasn't counting on it. The Argos had a lot of enabling language put in the NSS/BMO Field agreement and I was worried they would leverage that to do anything they wanted.

So I'm very relieved.