Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    No. Rogers Centre will be used for the first game of the year until we get winterized. The Jays don't want anything but baseball on that grass.
    By having a grass turf, Rogers are losing money because they will lose a lot of tenants and events because grass turf. So they need other events (like soccer) to make up lost revenue. Blue Jays alone (especially a bad Blue Jays team) isn't going to make a lot of money for Rogers.

It's not a smart investment to have grass turf for Blue Jays alone. They need to make up lost revenue somehow. TFC is easiest solution to make up that lost revenue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm all for the Argos getting their own stadium. The city should just stop being cheap & pony up the money to build it. They spent for baseball, soccer(so MLSE who had the money to build it themselves could have a team) & countless other facilities but you aren't going to spend on the Argos? This move the Argos to BMO idea just reeks of laziness & poor planning on the city's part. If they were going to be apart of the BMO field project, the time to do that was when the stadium WAS BEING BUILT, not after the stadium goes up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Man View Post
    I'm all for the Argos getting their own stadium. The city should just stop being cheap & pony up the money to build it. They spent for baseball, soccer(so MLSE who had the money to build it themselves could have a team) & countless other facilities but you aren't going to spend on the Argos? This move the Argos to BMO idea just reeks of laziness & poor planning on the city's part. If they were going to be apart of the BMO field project, the time to do that was when the stadium WAS BEING BUILT, not after the stadium goes up.
    Actually, you have to blame Argos the most. They are too cheap to build their own stadium so they're back riding on Blue Jays and now TFC. Argos could have their own stadiums in the past, but they decided to be cheap which is now hurting them and their fanbase. I usually support all Toronto based teams, but I wouldn't feel too bad if Argos left Toronto due to their cheapness and laziness.

EDIT: MLSE actually should be praised since they saved pro soccer. Without them, we wouldn't have a pro team and BMO field. Originally, York University Stadium was going to be build for Argos and CSA (Canada soccer and plus for FIFA Under 20 world cup), but Argos pulled out last minute and decided to stay with Rogers Centre which had CSA, City, Province and federal government running around looking for a stadium for FIFA Under 20. That is when MLSE stepped up and offer solution which became BMO field.
    Last edited by TFC07; 08-31-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    EDIT: MLSE actually should be praised since they saved pro soccer. Without them, we wouldn't have a pro team and BMO field. Originally, York University Stadium was going to be build for Argos and CSA (Canada soccer and plus for FIFA Under 20 world cup), but Argos pulled out last minute and decided to stay with Rogers Centre which had CSA, City, Province and federal government running around looking for a stadium for FIFA Under 20. That is when MLSE stepped up and offer solution which became BMO field.
    It was actually York University that pulled out of the project. MLSE spent 8 million on the construction of the stadium & another 10 million so they could get the naming rights which they sold for 27 million to BMO. In the end they made 9 million dollars off the whole thing. They made 9 million dollars & got a stadium that was majorly funded by various levels of government so spare me the MLSE hero worship.

MLSE could have very easily have built their own BMO field, just like they did with Air Canada Centre. The Argos were the ones that needed a publicly funded stadium & still do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know much about this entire situation but can't the Argos move into a university stadium/field kinda like how the Als play in McGill's stadium?

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Man View Post
    It was actually York University that pulled out of the project. MLSE spent 8 million on the construction of the stadium & another 10 million so they could get the naming rights which they sold for 27 million to BMO. In the end they made 9 million dollars off the whole thing. They made 9 million dollars & got a stadium that was majorly funded by various levels of government so spare me the MLSE hero worship.

MLSE could have very easily have built their own BMO field, just like they did with Air Canada Centre. The Argos were the ones that needed a publicly funded stadium & still do.
    From http://news.yorku.ca/2005/05/12/stat...rk-university/
    Statement on Stadium Construction at York University

TORONTO, May 12, 2005 -- York University regrets to announce that the recent withdrawal from the stadium project by the Argos has made it impossible for us to proceed with the construction of a stadium that would be suitable both for the York community and for the FIFA soccer tournament in time for 2007. The timeline established in October 2004, for a project involving York University, the Argos and the Canadian Soccer Association was a feasible proposition. Until three weeks ago, we were proceeding on time and on budget, despite very tight timelines.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol - people must be looking for something to get wound up about today.. A guy talked to a guy... No offense to the original poster.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Kevin View Post
    I don't know much about this entire situation but can't the Argos move into a university stadium/field kinda like how the Als play in McGill's stadium?
    There is a new track and field stadium being built at York for the Pan Am games.

However, considering how the Argos screwed York in 2005, I can just imagine what their response would have been to an approach by the Argos to be tenants of a larger stadium.

If the Argos were owned by MLSE, however, it might be worthwhile to have the new York U stadium expanded to accomodate them.

This would then give MLSE pointyball rights in Toronto, and may allow them to bring in an NFL team without the Argos complaining.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey. When you use a public facility, this is what happens. MLSE should invest in their own facility. If the Argos are cheap for not building there own stadium, then so is TFC. The idea that BMO belongs to TFC is laughable. It doesn't. It belongs to the people of Toronto. Put 30 million bucks into the place and it would finally lose it's high school stigma and be a better place to watch soccer as well. As for people bringing the past into it, it's all water under the bridge. What matters is what happens going forward. As said before, Houston shares a grass field with college football and on grass the lines are put on and washed off. And the NFL is never coming to Toronto. You'd need a new 70 plus thousand stadium and London is way up the chart in terms of getting an NFL team than anyone else.

And if Wembley can host a full time NFL team, so can BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CFL View Post
    Hey. When you use a public facility, this is what happens. MLSE should invest in their own facility. If the Argos are cheap for not building there own stadium, then so is TFC. The idea that BMO belongs to TFC is laughable. It doesn't. It belongs to the people of Toronto. Put 30 million bucks into the place and it would finally lose it's high school stigma and be a better place to watch soccer as well. As for people bringing the past into it, it's all water under the bridge. What matters is what happens going forward. As said before, Houston shares a grass field with college football and on grass the lines are put on and washed off. And the NFL is never coming to Toronto. You'd need a new 70 plus thousand stadium and London is way up the chart in terms of getting an NFL team than anyone else.

BMO field belongs to soccer especially how Argos baited and almost killed FIFA Under 20 world cup for Toronto. TFC/MLSE did contribute to construction of BMO field and responsible of operating BMO field behalf on City of Toronto (which they are making money thanks to TFC/Soccer). So they do play a role who can use BMO field or not.

Why did Argos baited on York University? Why aren't Argos willing to contribute money to building their stadium? City of Toronto isn't going to contribute much, so it has to be Argos themselves have to pony up the cash to make investment.

Why Blue Jays kicking Argos out of their stadium once they make the switch to grass? (I will give you a clue: football will ruin grass turf and it will be costly to repair it everytime which Rogers isn't willing to do).

Reality is that Argos cheapness and laziness is finally caught on and their fans and current owner is paying for it. Argos made their bed and eventually they will sleep in couple of years once Jays change their turf. I personally hope Argos find a new home as long it isn't BMO field which was built for soccer not football.
    Last edited by TFC07; 08-31-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is kinda funny. The blue jays won't let the Argos play on their new grass field because they will ruin it yet TFC will have to accept the Argos playing on their grass field. Won't the Argos ruin our field? What is good for the jays has to good for TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bantamfan View Post
    I think it is kinda funny. The blue jays won't let the Argos play on their new grass field because they will ruin it yet TFC will have to accept the Argos playing on their grass field. Won't the Argos ruin our field? What is good for the jays has to good for TFC
    True. Having Argos playing on your grass field is going to be costly expense. I wonder if Argos are willing to pay repair cost for grass after every time they play on it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    We all know that the Argos are being tossed from Roger. I was talking to a MLSE employee tonight ..........

I read that, and my first thought was, "I wonder if its the same person that was welcoming Forlan?"

Sorry, but not going to base discussing this on one MLSE employee's opinion. All the particulars of why this makes no sense were discussed in the roof thread.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-31-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    MLS governors would force relocation to A US city before this happens. Soccer specific stadiums are a condition of acceptance into the league.
    Seattle, Vancouver...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF, the Argos come, the only way i will keep seasons is if the seats are moved as close to the field as they are now, we have a GA section where flares and smoke are allowed; else i'll be a single game buyer once or twice a year and watch from home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey" CFL" I hate the Argos I wish they would fold today not tomorrow, and I also hate the CFL. I could care less about the Argos and the CFL. How do you like them apples "CFL". "CFL" this is a TFC message board I'm sure your beloved Argos have a forum similar to this one, go there and stay there. Read my lips 'CFL" keep your Argos out of BMO field, find another stadium, how about Lamport. We don't want the Argos at BMO what do you not understand.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's a matter of ruining the grass at SkyDome, it's more the idea of what you have to do to change the configuration of the stadium. Once grass is down and there's a dirt infield, you'll have to lower the pitchers mound, fill in the infield (or just the base paths), and then create put more grass down after moving the seats. Of course, this assumes that the seats will be movable after the conversion to grass; they may not be, in which case, you won't be able to convert to CFL anyway, because the field won't fit.

It's possible to put a soccer field into a baseball stadium. Both Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium have recently hosted Association Football teams, but a CFL field is considerably larger, and I don't think it will fit across the outfield.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO field belongs to soccer especially how Argos baited and almost killed FIFA Under 20 world cup for Toronto. TFC/MLSE did contribute to construction of BMO field and responsible of operating BMO field behalf on City of Toronto (which they are making money thanks to TFC/Soccer). So they do play a role who can use BMO field or not.

Why did Argos baited on York University? Why aren't Argos willing to contribute money to building their stadium? City of Toronto isn't going to contribute much, so it has to be Argos themselves have to pony up the cash to make investment.

Why Blue Jays kicking Argos out of their stadium once they make the switch to grass? (I will give you a clue: football will ruin grass turf and it will be costly to repair it everytime which Rogers isn't willing to do).

Reality is that Argos cheapness and laziness is finally caught on and their fans and current owner is paying for it. Argos made their bed and eventually they will sleep in couple of years once Jays change their turf. I personally hope Argos find a new home as long it isn't BMO field which was built for soccer not football.
    Actually, the blame really can be shared in this situation. MLSE could have easily fronted all the dough and had a stadium built the way they wanted and with them having total control over the property and who gets to play there - but they didn't. This is why the team had to make do with turf for the first few years, why public sports groups and organizations were mandated a certain amount of usage every month, and why any change took so long to come by - the city had to approve all of it as per the team's agreement.

Montreal's Stade Saputo, an arguably better stadium than BMO Field is, was built with very limited public funds and the Impact can pretty much do whatever it pleases because Joey Saputo put his own money down on it and got some other interested investors to foot the bill.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this ever happened I guess the first thing to do would be to take down the "Canadian National Soccer Stadium" plaque.
    I also thought that the only MLS teams allowed to play in non soccer specific stadium settings were those "grandfathered" in.
    O well ... time will tell ... I have heard so many rumours about this franchise over the years I have just stopped listening to idle speculation.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By having a grass turf, Rogers are losing money because they will lose a lot of tenants and events because grass turf. So they need other events (like soccer) to make up lost revenue. Blue Jays alone (especially a bad Blue Jays team) isn't going to make a lot of money for Rogers.

It's not a smart investment to have grass turf for Blue Jays alone. They need to make up lost revenue somehow. TFC is easiest solution to make up that lost revenue.
    They are not worried about revenue. Hence the crazy spending last off season. Rogers is pouring money into the Jayss and all those free days can go to concerts. They don't need a tenant.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wembley is a full time NFL stadium? Your comparison of MLSE contributing to BMO field to the Argos zero contribution to there own stadium is laughable. They've been so poor they chose to be rent free at the Dome over spending money to have a stadium at York.

Pathetic.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto's situation is not like Houston's. You can easily fit a American rules football field onto a soccer pitch without ruining the sightlines for soccer. But a Canadian rules football field needs an expanded field that will definetly cut into the soccer sightlines. It will benefit Canadian football, but not soccer. Which is why I say FUCK THE ARGOS!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes BMO can host NFL game,but neither BMO or Wembley can host CFL.

CFL field of play is 110 yards 10 yards longer than NFL;
    CFL field end zone is 20 yards deep,10 yards deeper than NFL.

That's 30 yards extra and MAIN reason why CFL FO did not approve and will never approve Argos to play at BMO.

This thread will be merged will other Argos thread.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merged
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how CFL seems to think govt has some sort of duty to fund Argos stadium. And the likelihood is that Argos don't want to pay a cent for renovation.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Hey" CFL" I hate the Argos I wish they would fold today not tomorrow, and I also hate the CFL. I could care less about the Argos and the CFL. How do you like them apples "CFL". "CFL" this is a TFC message board I'm sure your beloved Argos have a forum similar to this one, go there and stay there. Read my lips 'CFL" keep your Argos out of BMO field, find another stadium, how about Lamport. We don't want the Argos at BMO what do you not understand.
    When MLSE buys BMO outright, you may have a point. But renters can't be choosey. And what you want, doesn't matter. It's what the best return for the city is. So if that's 11 International Rugby games, 10 CFL games and 18 MLS games and 4 retro 80 disco nights, so be it.

This wouldn't happen in Montreal as Saputo owns the stadium. Half of the MLS stadium built have fucking stages at one end for rock shows. The Fire has a promotion night were people could bring their dogs to the game, afterwards they were allowed on the pitch to take shits on it. Why? cause it's about the bottom line.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I love how CFL seems to think govt has some sort of duty to fund Argos stadium. And the likelihood is that Argos don't want to pay a cent for renovation.
    Unlike TFC's owners did in 2005 when BMO was being financed . How much did the province and city put into again? MLSE was all like "NO NO we'll pay for it ourselves!" haha

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wembley is a full time NFL stadium? Your comparison of MLSE contributing to BMO field to the Argos zero contribution to there own stadium is laughable. They've been so poor they chose to be rent free at the Dome over spending money to have a stadium at York.

Pathetic.
    The St Louis rams almost moved there. They play two NFL games every year and countless Rugby games. The idea that BMO is hollowed ground is laughable. That's my point. It hasn't even hosted a play-off game yet. Hey-- maybe that the TFC curse, the stadia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are not worried about revenue. Hence the crazy spending last off season. Rogers is pouring money into the Jayss and all those free days can go to concerts. They don't need a tenant.
    That's because they're trying to win which will create more revenue. I am sure it has paid off since their attendance record for this season has been good compare to their past years.

Their crazy offseason spending was an investment in the end. When the Jays aren't playing (or during the winter), Rogers isn't going to sit back and let Rogers Centre sit there empty. They will need something to fill in to maximize their investment (turf). Soccer is perfect solution for that!

This is why I wouldn't be surprised to see more soccer games at Rogers centre once they change their turf.