Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/footba...lls_kelly.html

Kelly pretty much regurgitated the CBS article posted further up the page.
    While also wearing a gigantic tinfoil hat.

His theory works, only if Bon Jovi really does want to use his connections up here to fund a team. The Leiweke quote about (paraphrasing) "we can do stadiums" was interesting. But why would Bon Jovi spend all that time schmoozing with local Buffalo power brokers and politicians if he plans to move the team? To get their approval or put up a front and be a weasel??

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    How do you host hockey on a grass or grassmaster pitch? Unless they can relay it every time there's an event, I seriously doubt this.

If this was truly possible, we're talking major renovations to BMO almost to the point of a rebuild. A removable pitch would be a must, then a stand or structure that would bring the pitch in and out. And then there's the expansion to 30 000+.

TURF...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they want to utilize Ont Place and go big time all-round entertainment....me thinks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    they'd need a hell of a lot more luxury boxes (about 24 + 2 vs. 64 + behind each net + gondolas)
    I don't know what their motives are besides making more money, but you can almost bet on a redeveloped east stand with boxes, and at the very least boxes in the south stand as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you ever put an ice rink in your backyard? Grass is dormant in the winter. And they way they put in the ice for the outdoor games the ice isn't even on the grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

has anyone considered that mlse and bon jovi will buy the bills together and not move it to Toronto, instead leave it in the states?

remember at one time mlse wanted to by Leeds, if they did, do you think they were going to move here? ie red sox group owns Liverpool, (they are still in Liverpool!)

as far the ice on grass? they dont need to remove the grass field to put in an ice rink, they can put a surface on top of the grass then make the ice!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You need to ask yourself "What would PT Barnum do?" more often.....

I think in this case you have to ask yourself if the NHL would let PT Barnum kill their golden egg.

There is no way in heck that the NHL is going to let the Leafs play outside for anything more then 1 game a season.

It might surprise you, and the media in this city, to know but the whole of the NHL's power structure does not revolve around Toronto. There are significant power brokers in the rest of the league who are not going to let the Leafs kill off that New Year's event.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I think in this case you have to ask yourself if the NHL would let PT Barnum kill their golden egg.

There is no way in heck that the NHL is going to let the Leafs play outside for anything more then 1 game a season.

It might surprise you, and the media in this city, to know but the whole of the NHL's power structure does not revolve around Toronto. There are significant power brokers in the rest of the league who are not going to let the Leafs kill off that New Year's event.
    A facepalm. With a lecture. OK, here goes.

What a ridiculous, ill-informed post.

Have you noticed that the league are doing six of these this year?

Are you aware that the US college football playoff that begins next year has a full January 1 slate, which is an ICBM aimed at anything else that might be on in daytime on January 1?

Are you aware that the biggest constraint on these events is the cost of converting a stadium for winter hockey use?

Show me examples of the NHL ever doing anything other than maximizing dollars.

I must have written 100 posts here over the years about what spineless gorms and toadies the Leafs have been to the Snyder/Jacobs/Bettman imperium. But I am certain that Burke got fired by Bogers for his endless toadying to that power structure (no team should have had less interest in the hard cap, yet Burke was carrying the water for that). So we'll see what new ownership does or does not do with the league office.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-25-2013 at 07:30 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not getting into a pissing match ensco.

And its not a lecture. It was actually my second post saying the same thing. And others have said much the same as well, with a facepalm.

We'll see.

pax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cool spring/fall breeze on my genitals when I'm pissing in the washroom. Remind me why it's open to the elements? Did they put those soccer nets in the urinals to distract us?

We are a slip and a stumble above Kenilworth Road.
    Last edited by Brooker; 11-25-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm not getting into a pissing match ensco.

And its not a lecture. It was actually my second post saying the same thing. And others have said much the same as well, with a facepalm.

We'll see.

pax
    It's been said about a lot of things but I think it's really true about the NHL: "It must be a great game to survive in the hands of these owners."

I've been following the NHL since the early 70s and I've seen them kill more than one golden goose. This league has sold teams to guys with no money more than once. They've put teams into markets where there's just no interest and keep teams out of markets where there is money to be made. They've changed the rules (the shootout is indefensible), the alignment, the playoff structure, it goes on and on.

The only reason the Leafs don't dominate the NHL (as they should) is because of terrible ownership. And maybe that's changing. Toronto is the fourth largest city in North America (as all the Rob Ford reporting kept reminding us) and the largest hockey market by far. It's been amazing to see what this league has pissed away over the last forty years so I don't see any reason why they'll stop now. They're having outdoor games in LA this year. They'll have the All-Star game at BMO as soon as it's ready. We'll be lucky if the Leafs don't play every game outdoors in their anniversary year....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see Leafs playing at BMO field if they expand seating capacity and winterized BMO field. I think whole Argos thing was MLSE way getting government funding if they decided to buy Argos, but there was no interest from government to give money for BMO field expansion at all. So MLSE decided not to buy Argos, and also I am sure MLSE didn't want to lose TFC fanbase if they bought Argos.

Anyway, MLSE and Bon Jovi interested in buying Bills and moving them to Toronto. How would this affect TFC and BMO field? I don't want my SSH ticket prices going up to support a NFL team.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle15581107/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my question: if the NFL is a real possibility, and you have this mega stadium that will be a real $ generator for hockey as opposed to BMO, why waste your time tweaking the existing stadium? It will hurt TFC, the argos will really be struggling for attention with an NFL team, and your outdoor hockey set only gets a short run.

The only thing left is defending the sports monopoly and making sure that no other facilities pop up around the GTA which could create competition. But is that enough?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Here's my question: if the NFL is a real possibility, and you have this mega stadium that will be a real $ generator for hockey as opposed to BMO, why waste your time tweaking the existing stadium? It will hurt TFC, the argos will really be struggling for attention with an NFL team, and your outdoor hockey set only gets a short run.

The only thing left is defending the sports monopoly and making sure that no other facilities pop up around the GTA which could create competition. But is that enough?
    Because a winner will bring in 30k on top of what the league will be like in 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a better chance Bon Jovi and Lieweke buy the Bills and move them to LA than there is of them getting a new stadium built here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    Because a winner will bring in 30k on top of what the league will be like in 2015.
    In the type of venue they are talking about building? I wouldn't count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    There's a better chance Bon Jovi and Lieweke buy the Bills and move them to LA than there is of them getting a new stadium built here.
    You think so? I have a hard time understanding the motivation of MLSE to be a part of that transaction. Is it to get in the NFL circle and pursue a Toronto team down the road?

Really think part of the reason they keep balking at these non-Toronto transactions is they don't have the expertise to manage franchises in other markets. Sure, Leiweke understands LA but how much value can they add to MLSE through that process? Seems like a fishing expedition to me. I probably always bring it back to the same point, but I see this organization being in place to perpetuate a TV duopoly and not much else. Maybe the Teachers' version of MLSE had some interest in being in the broader sports management business, but I really see the Bogers version as being location specific, canadian content focused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Let's be conservative and say there is a better chance MLSE or related people help Bon Jovi buy / operate the Bills while keeping them in Buffalo. They get their team, make their money and MLSE begins its expansion from municipal to regional in scope. The beginning of a new AEG lol. Tinfoil hat locked and loaded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the type of venue they are talking about building? I wouldn't count on it.

You think so? I have a hard time understanding the motivation of MLSE to be a part of that transaction. Is it to get in the NFL circle and pursue a Toronto team down the road?

Really think part of the reason they keep balking at these non-Toronto transactions is they don't have the expertise to manage franchises in other markets. Sure, Leiweke understands LA but how much value can they add to MLSE through that process? Seems like a fishing expedition to me. I probably always bring it back to the same point, but I see this organization being in place to perpetuate a TV duopoly and not much else. Maybe the Teachers' version of MLSE had some interest in being in the broader sports management business, but I really see the Bogers version as being location specific, canadian content focused.
    I don't think MLSE will be a part of it when/if it happens. There's no real reason for Bell/Rogers to actually own a team, all they really want are the broadcast rights to the league. Sure, if a good enough deal comes along, but they aren't going to build an NFL stadium (the only NFL stadiums getting built now are by governments and that's unlikely to happen here - there's one being built in LA, isn't there?) for 8 home games.

Of course, you never know, there might be government money available to build a new stadium in downtown Buffalo to "revitalize" it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Let's be conservative and say there is a better chance MLSE or related people help Bon Jovi buy / operate the Bills while keeping them in Buffalo. They get their team, make their money and MLSE begins its expansion from municipal to regional in scope. The beginning of a new AEG lol. Tinfoil hat locked and loaded.
    Ha, I was typing almost exactly that when you posted . How crazy is it to think that a new stadium could be built in downtown Buffalo? Governments make strange decisions...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLSE NFL talk is BS, a trojan horse, designed to get the various governments worried about the fate of the Argos. So that they'll pay for the reno if MLSE agrees to "drop" the NFL thing.

He really is PT Barnum running a 3 ring circus.

It's impressive to watch, you have to hand it to him. Not sure it'll work though. The Skydome disaster will take more than 25 years to forget (there was a fair dose of "saving the Argos" in the decision to build Skydome, too).
    Last edited by ensco; 11-25-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this makes sense because no way is NY going to let the bills go and it allows expansion of BMO for whatever , soccer then a FEW outdoor games AND concerts which TL wants . My question and what exactly are the plans for ACC....raptorsconcerts only ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    this makes sense because no way is NY going to let the bills go and it allows expansion of BMO for whatever , soccer then a FEW outdoor games AND concerts which TL wants . My question and what exactly are the plans for ACC....raptorsconcerts only ?
    Even in the scenario where some people think I'm a wild-eyed crazy, they'd still play the vast majority of Leaf games at ACC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regards to NHL related theories, Rogers has just bought ALL NHL broadcast rights for just more than the next decade.

Thread here: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1622726

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regards to NHL related theories, Rogers has just bought ALL NHL broadcast rights for just more than the next decade.

Thread here: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1622726
    Yeah let's see how nice Bell plays with Rogers now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    Yeah let's see how nice Bell plays with Rogers now.
    It's game over for Bell unless Rogers sell some of their games to Bell. Good news is that Bell will invest in sports like basketball and international soccer during the winter, but even then, Rogers is heavily invested in international soccer.

Bell is left with CFL, international hockey, NFL and limited NHL content now.

Personally speaking, I prefer Rogers over Bell due to their soccer coverage. I just hope Rogers doesn't sacrifice soccer and basketball over NHL now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    It's game over for Bell unless Rogers sell some of their games to Bell. Good news is that Bell will invest in sports like basketball and international soccer during the winter, but even then, Rogers is heavily invested in international soccer.

Bell is left with CFL, international hockey, NFL and limited NHL content now.

Personally speaking, I prefer Rogers over Bell due to their soccer coverage. I just hope Rogers doesn't sacrifice soccer and basketball over NHL now.
    I mean over approving things for MLSE, but I suspect it's not a total shock to them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN may bulk up on the non-hockey stuff.