Default Onward! - Sail on, Argos!

Time to make some plans, folks.

http://onwardsoccer.com/?p=1817

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great piece Ben. Let's hope sense prevails. As I said in my post on your blog, this is bad news for everyone involved - everyone stands to lose out, from all viewpoints. The whole idea is just insane.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it really bad news?
    Is their any possible way of laying turf ontop of the grass for the games, like they put wood ontop of ice for the basketball games at the ACC.
    Basically,
    I really dont think it would be that bad *IF* we did not play on football lines, and the grass was not ruined by the football games.
    More seats would be added, which would allow more people to buy tickets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc2007 View Post
    Is it really bad news?
    Is their any possible way of laying turf ontop of the grass for the games, like they put wood ontop of ice for the basketball games at the ACC.
    Basically,
    I really dont think it would be that bad *IF* we did not play on football lines, and the grass was not ruined by the football games.
    More seats would be added, which would allow more people to buy tickets.
    watch the Houston Dynamo games in September and October.
    you still see lines (however faint) and the field is a mess... that field was so bad even Ljungberg was saying it shouldn't have hosted a playoff game.
    So I don't think that it's possible to simply fix up the field. I'm sure the parts in the middle would be ripped bare on a wet day by the CFLers. Then you'd have to toss down some sod, which would wouldn't have roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but why not lay down a fake turf, like the one already at rogers centre, over top of the grass for CFL games, just like they put hardwood ontop of the ice at the ACC for NBA games?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but why not lay down a fake turf, like the one already at rogers centre, over top of the grass for CFL games, just like they put hardwood ontop of the ice at the ACC for NBA games?
    It can't be good for the grass so why would we want that? Plus who pays for it? The owners that want to sell the team?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if the owneres want into BMO they do.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but why not lay down a fake turf, like the one already at rogers centre, over top of the grass for CFL games, just like they put hardwood on top of the ice at the ACC for NBA games?
    Would that be doable? Real grass on top of turf works, but I've never heard of it the other way around. Grass needs to be ventilated properly and sunshine, which is why it doesn't sound all that smart to me, but a proper groundskeeper might be able to chime in and confirm that.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Would that be doable? Real grass on top of turf works, but I've never heard of it the other way around. Grass needs to be ventilated properly and sunshine, which is why it doesn't sound all that smart to me, but a proper groundskeeper might be able to chime in and confirm that.
    To be honest, i have no clue. But until the people on this borad know all the facts is their a point in tossing out an opinion.

Instead of saying no right away, why dont we see if we can make something work. Their has to be some soloution that benefits TFC/MLSE, Argos/CFL and the fans.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ hmmm

That sounds reasonable, but there are just too many negative factors in play for me to not toss this idea out from the get go. At the very least, it starts from a negative point and has to be worked into positive territory.

See my post on Ben's blog for why this is bad from every single viewpoint you look at it from. I won;t repost here because I want Ben's blog to get the click throughs - so you'll have to check it yourself!
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So many reasons why this is wrong - the fact that it will compromise the game of Canadian football is just a start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, i have no clue. But until the people on this board know all the facts is their a point in tossing out an opinion.

Instead of saying no right away, why don't we see if we can make something work. Their has to be some solution that benefits TFC/MLSE, Argos/CFL and the fans.
    Ummm, I say we keep pushing against this plan.

What if they do have a plan to do just that (lay turf over grass) and it really fucks up the soccer pitch? What if other structural changes are made that would negatively impact our enjoy of TFC?

Personally, I'd rather we didn't risk it - especially when the plan sounds so outrageous to being with. Ben's blog points out all the good reasons to oppose this scheme.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 12-01-2009 at 12:35 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be interesting to see what happens with the Nationals next year, I am not sure how much lacrosse would tear up the field since it is a game of free flowing movement rather than football that really does put a beating on the ground.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I was just thinking of that today as well. I don't know what sort of contract the lacrosse club has with BMO Field. I now last season they didn't really play too many games at home, so I'm not too worried at the moment about them.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it gas something to do with ice and concrete(under the turf) are HARD surfaces and can't be damaged,grass would be uneven after you take the turf of with the machines,unless turf can be instaled by hand without machines.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)