Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default North End Expansion

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1382261/

Farewell beer garden, old friend.

Glad to hear that some dough is being spent on washrooms.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, it's coming sooner rather than later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard this on the fan this morning too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, they're estimating $70,000 in revenue, which is more than $50/ticket.

Cue supporter group backlash/vitriol in 3, 2, 1.........
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havent been able to read the article yet but my understanding is that these seats wont be available for relocations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Itll be interesting because there will be alot of people on the waiting lists that will support this being built

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Interesting, they're estimating $70,000 in revenue, which is more than $50/ticket.

well if people had been paying attention.....

it's been made clear that this stand is NOT going to be another supporters section.
    That info has been said in a number of different ways, but some people still like
    to dream of this 'promised land' that isn't actually going to happen.

I'm quite happy where I am.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good, another obstacle to the Argos coming in

No possible north endzone if this is built. The north was the last frontier for perhaps an expanded CFL field (if they just plopped it in without centering it and didn't move the south end) done on the cheap. This adds hundreds of thousands of dollars (a million maybe??) now to the value of the stands (if the argos had been willing to pay to knock stands down and refit the field).

But generally I'm glad for this. the beer garden has come to actually cause fewer people to sit in their seats. One of the great things about a small stadium is the seats are packed, so the beer garden defeats that purpose in some sections. TV presentation is important too... and there should be more people actually in their seats, plus the north end will look more professional.. not this empty end.
    Last edited by rocker; 11-30-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I can't understand why they wouldn't want to encourage Supporter Groups to relocate into the North.

It would concentrate our efforts which makes for a more intense display of support, and that would make the fan experience even better (which from an MLSE point of view, is good for selling tickets)

Also, have all the supporter groups in one area would make it easier for MLSE to "manage" us. While that sounds like a negative thing for us, it wouldn't be all bad. It just means that they would have less headaches with security around the stadium (we know the issues we have had with security). It would reduce complaints from fans who are stuck in supporter areas that don't enjoy that kind of enthusiasm. Basically it would make life easier for everyone concerned. I'm surprised MLSE wouldn't be all over that.

I_AM_CANADIAN

To be honest, what I would have rather they done with this is actually designate it a 'supporters' stand; ie, what Philly have, a stand where you have to be a member of a supporters' group to buy tickets. IMO it's quite silly what we have now, supporters just spread about the stadium, and IMO the NEE, RPB and U-Sec should all be together. We'd be that much louder, and that much more coordinated. That means better support for the team, which everyone should be for.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    But I can't understand why they wouldn't want to encourage Supporter Groups to relocate into the North.

It would concentrate our efforts which makes for a more intense display of support, and that would make the fan experience even better (which from an MLSE point of view, is good for selling tickets)

Also, have all the supporter groups in one area would make it easier for MLSE to "manage" us. While that sounds like a negative thing for us, it wouldn't be all bad. It just means that they would have less headaches with security around the stadium (we know the issues we have had with security). It would reduce complaints from fans who are stuck in supporter areas that don't enjoy that kind of enthusiasm. Basically it would make life easier for everyone concerned. I'm surprised MLSE wouldn't be all over that.
    You, sir, have read my mind. It would also solve the problem of people who want to stand, wave flags and/or sing being told to sit down by other fans and by security. It would be the best scenario possible for all parties, IMO.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE would pay to install the extra seats at the north end of the stadium, along with upgrades to washrooms used by FC fans.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's put on our logic caps for a second

- supporters tickets are less (way less) than normal seats. Supporters would not move if it meant paying 150% of their current cost, let alone 3x as much.

- the idea of moving all the supporters would be a massive undertaking for the ticket sales staff. Like HUGE!

- some supporters would not want to move, so it's not like all the vocal support would be centralized in one area.

- the stadium looks better (to TV and non-supporters) with pockets of support around the stadium, instead of just in one spot.

- with something like the 'Thank You' banner, it covered a much bigger space than this new stand could possibly be. Even if there are quiet pockets in the south end (like 116-118), they are still involved in the big things, and that's a much better 'concentrated' area than a small stand where the beer garden was.

I_AM_CANADIAN

^ All good points, and especially about the size of the new stand, I hadn't thought of that.

Still, while having pockets of support does LOOK better, having everyone concentrated in one area SOUNDS much, much better, and 99% of the rest of the world's football clubs have their support organized that way.. Not to mention, even if the new stand is smaller, we'd still be able to pull off a lot more tifos if we had one whole stand where everyone wanted to participate. When we've tried tifos that require the whole south end's participation, like card tifos and ones with strips of fabric, they've gone down like a falling anvil on Bugs Bunny.

I think the advantages far outweigh those problems.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I_AM_CANADIAN View Post

I think the advantages far outweigh those problems.

yup!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still, while having pockets of support does LOOK better, having everyone concentrated in one area SOUNDS much, much better, and 99% of the rest of the world's football clubs have their support organized that way..
    you have to be careful with generalizations like that. (especially when it's incorrect).

Many of the best supported clubs have multiple supporters groups, and they are in different parts of the stadium. Benfica has two big groups, Marseilles has two big stands (North and South) filled with separate groups. I could go on with the examples, but I really don't need to because almost every club that grew an organic fanbase has multiple groups.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup!
    still, it's not going to happen. fact. full stop. end of thread.

this falls into the same "not even worth debating" argument as the whole flare thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prefer to see the North End designated as a supporters section, but I am still very relieved to hear of this development. BMO Field should now remain a soccer specific stadium and with the grass pitch and the North Stand up next season, it will be far more pleasing to the eye as well. This was a brilliant response to the the Argo threat by MLSE...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

It's a poorly constructed article. I couldn't tell for certain, but I think the estimated $70,000 in revenue include food/beverages and is not based on tickets alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    good, another obstacle to the Argos coming in

No possible north endzone if this is built.
    The north was the last frontier for perhaps an expanded CFL field (if they just plopped it in without centering it and didn't move the south end) done on the cheap. This adds hundreds of thousands of dollars (a million maybe??) now to the value of the stands (if the argos had been willing to pay to knock stands down and refit the field).

But generally I'm glad for this. the beer garden has come to actually cause fewer people to sit in their seats. One of the great things about a small stadium is the seats are packed, so the beer garden defeats that purpose in some sections. TV presentation is important too... and there should be more people actually in their seats, plus the north end will look more professional.. not this empty end.
    Not a coincidence. This is a counter-move no doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so is the northend going to be for people who want to bring in flags and stand for the whole game or for people who don't.

I do not like the view from the southend so I would never move to the northend

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Not a coincidence. This is a counter-move no doubt.
    ... a great one, at that.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is wonderful news. Not only is it going to give 1200+ more people the chance to see the team, but it will also make it harder for the Argos to move into BMO - AND it will improve accoustics. Think back to the temporary stand built in the North End before the Real Madrid game - the atmosphere was amazing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad it won't be allowed for relocation. It would be good to get non-supporters out of the south stands.

That being said...I am glad the beer garden is being done away with. Having that empty space full of people not in their seats never made sense to me.

I have no complaints. Shocking I know. See Paul? I can be reasonable. LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didn't go to the RM game, but they had the stand up for Puerto Rico and I loved it being there. added more atmosphere (those people rocked too) and it just looked better to have a stand there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    ... a great one, at that.
    Yup! I really think this is a more of a "Make-BMO-a-Permanent-SSS" move than it is a revenue or increased-capacity move. Because, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the north end at the RM game hold about 3000?

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    you have to be careful with generalizations like that. (especially when it's incorrect).

Many of the best supported clubs have multiple supporters groups, and they are in different parts of the stadium. Benfica has two big groups, Marseilles has two big stands (North and South) filled with separate groups. I could go on with the examples, but I really don't need to because almost every club that grew an organic fanbase has multiple groups.
    As you said; two BIG stands filled with separate groups. As it is, we're currently scattered throughout the stadium with a little pocket in the southeast corner and in the northwest. At this point, it'd be better to have everyone together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if they are doing this to push the north end back and allow room for a CFL endzone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
    What if they are doing this to push the north end back and allow room for a CFL endzone?
    Not a chance...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you said; two BIG stands filled with separate groups. As it is, we're currently scattered throughout the stadium with a little pocket in the southeast corner and in the northwest. At this point, it'd be better to have everyone together.

you want more details on how you're statement was wrong? okay

in ONE of the big stands at the Velodrome in Marseilles.

Virage Nord-Patrice de Peretti The North Curve is home to the Yankee Nord Marseille, Marseille Trop Puissant, Fanatics, and Dodgers supporters associations who buy up the tickets at the start of each season and sell them on to their members. The Virage Nord is situated next to the away enclosure which is protected by high fences. In 2002, the Virage Nord was officially given the name of Patrice de Peretti (1972-2000), the late founder and leader of the supporters group Marseille Trop Puissant.

^ that's 5 supporters groups in the same stands. The idea that 99% of team have one supporters group in one stand is just incorrect.