Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    Respectfully Koryo, I can't understand how you can call football (Canadian at that) “yesterday’s game”? A league drenched in 100+ years of history with a growing popularity (and subsequent fanbase) is nothing to scoff at in my opinion. Not wanting the Argos at BMO is one thing, but to denigrate an entire sport/league (especially one of such important cultural significance to Canada’s heritage) just isn’t right. I’m not an American football fan either, but I would never disrespect a game that has greater roots in North America than soccer.

I agree completely, but would just like to point out that you are talking about the CFL and then refer to it as "American Football". You were talking about "Canadian Football", go ahead and call it that.

There are many differences between the two games, which I'm sure you are aware.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian Football. Growing popularity?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    What?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't help but think that if the Argo owner's ever put their money where their collective mouths are, there would be no stopping this from happening.

But if their cheap track record of running the Argo's is any indication, there is no need to get worked up over this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Always There View Post
    I agree completely, but would just like to point out that you are talking about the CFL and then refer to it as "American Football". You were talking about "Canadian Football", go ahead and call it that.

There are many differences between the two games, which I'm sure you are aware.
    The reason I called it “American football” is because Koryo and many others (including myself) call soccer “football” so it was ostensibly done to make it clear which football I was referring to. I wasn’t referencing CFL to NFL, which are in comparison to soccer, alike games after all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Pointyball is an accepted term for the game that the NFL and CFL play.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I didn't bother reading the article, but does it say anything about the proposed sale of the Argos to Braley? If St. Cinnamon and Suckowski aren't going to be involved with the team anymore, maybe we are getting riled up over nothing?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    I didn't bother reading the article, but does it say anything about the proposed sale of the Argos to Braley? If St. Cinnamon and Suckowski aren't going to be involved with the team anymore, maybe we are getting riled up over nothing?
    According to the article, they are staying on as owners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    It sure is!

It wouldn’t seem so in this city with the perennial losing that goes on (Argos), but Cohon has really helped to turn this league around and says so himself regularly during interviews. Of course he has to say the right things, but he can adequately support his (and other’s) claims on the growth of the league. So much so in fact, that the possibility of expansion has never been better he feels (Fan590 interview two weeks ago). I don’t intend on sabotaging this thread, but don’t be fooled because of this particular city’s seemingly apathetic or mild appetite for the game. Its growing steadily and we’ll see it more so when the boatmen right their ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put the Argos in Hamilton in the new PAN-AM games stadium being built.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by egoodwin View Post
    I will not pay $450 to watch a shit team play on a new grass pitch with lines that is torn up.
    who are you calling a "shit team" ???

you can say they had 'poor performance' 'shit coaching' 'terrible leadership' etc etc etc
    but the idea of a supporter referring to the club he supports as a "shit team" just baffles my mind.
    I would never call TFC shit. There have been shitty things, but they are not a shit team -- they are OUR team!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO Field = Grass
    Argos playing at BMO on a rainy day would fuck up the field royally which is why this won't happen. Those Ratard Argo owners aren't going to pay to fix the grass after every CFL game and neither will MLSE nor should they have to. Fuck them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a grip people...the article does not indicate that the Argos relocating to BMO Field is imminent. It is nothing more than a pipe dream for the current desperate Argos ownership that has to overcome financial and public relations hurdles to make this happen. I think once this idea is formally squashed the sale of the Argos will go through as anticipated and it will be back to square one for the new prospective owners. IMO, they should worry about the product on the field first and foremost as no one wants to watch a 3-15 club play out of any facility...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    It sure is!

It wouldn’t seem so in this city with the perennial losing that goes on (Argos), but Cohon has really helped to turn this league around and says so himself regularly during interviews. Of course he has to say the right things, but he can adequately support his (and other’s) claims on the growth of the league. So much so in fact, that the possibility of expansion has never been better he feels (Fan590 interview two weeks ago). I don’t intend on sabotaging this thread, but don’t be fooled because of this particular city’s seemingly apathetic or mild appetite for the game. Its growing steadily and we’ll see it more so when the boatmen right their ship.
    I've heard Cohon being interviewed by McCown on this. His statements on the "impressive growth of the CFL" struck me as being in the nature of a warm, personal gesture to himself. McCown was too busy kissing his ass to ask hard questions.

There is no denying that Canadian football has had impressive growth in Quebec, but this goes back 10+ years and predates Cohon. Elsewhere, the story remains the same - the CFL is strong in some western markets, but has an equal number of problem markets.

The CFL survives because of the relationship with TSN, and because of TSN's need for summer programming. The CFL produces better summer ratings than alternatives do (ie Jays baseball, whose ratings have declined significantly over the last 10 years, to the CFL's benefit), but "better" doesn't equal "good". Of course the Grey Cup remains a significant TV property, but it's ratings are slowly declining. Moving it from CTV/CBC to TSN is a sign that even this major event is becoming less of a must-have property.

MLS expansion into Canada is an ICBM aimed at the heart of the CFL. If soccer ever gets traction in the mass market in this country, the CFL's deal with TSN will die, with dire consequences for the league.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-27-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Moving it from CTV/CBC to TSN is a sign that even this major event is becoming less of a must-have property.
    That's a bit disingenuous. All sports in general are moving away from public TV and are going to cable networks. That's just the nature of the game and not indicative of a fall in the Grey Cup's importance or relevance.

Anybody remember Leafs games on Global? Or Jays games on CFTO? The landscape has completely changed.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 11-27-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course the Grey Cup remains a significant TV property, but it's ratings are slowly declining. Moving it from CTV/CBC to TSN is a sign that even this major event is becoming less of a must-have property.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    That's a bit disingenuous. All sports in general are moving away from public TV and are going to cable networks. That's just the nature of the game and not indicative of a fall in the Grey Cup's importance or relevance.

Anybody remember Leafs games on Global? Or Jays games on CFTO? The landscape has completely changed.
    Of course it's a comment on a decline in the Grey Cup's importance or relevance. Are the Stanley Cup finals or the Super Bowl available only on cable? See that happening any time soon?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should build another stadium for the argos then convert it to soccer for Canada's 2026 World Cup Bid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    any one know if there is an even more snide version of available, that I can use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe there sugar daddy braley can build them a stadium,like maybe at york u???
    argonot in our stadium...fuckers

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course it's a comment on a decline in the Grey Cup's importance or relevance. Are the Stanley Cup finals or the Super Bowl available only on cable? See that happening any time soon?
    Its funny you bring up the Stanley Cup. If TSN were allowed to openly bid for the Stanley Cup, or even the HNIC timeslot, they would most likely beat the CBC. The NHL protects the CBC for nostalgia reasons.

TSN gets to carry NHL playoff games involving Canadian teams. I guess those games are irrelevant too now.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 11-27-2009 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    maybe there sugar daddy braley can build them a stadium,like maybe at york u???
    argonot in our stadium...fuckers
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we have found our slogan.

"Argonot in our stadium"

King Dave - make a flag!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its funny you bring up the Stanley Cup. If TSN were allowed to openly bid for the Stanley Cup, or even the HNIC timeslot, they would most likely beat the CBC. The NHL protects the CBC for nostalgia reasons.

TSN gets to carry NHL playoff games involving Canadian teams. I guess those games are irrelevant too now.
    I'm asking a serious question here - is this sarcasm, or do you believe this?

btw TSN gets mostly non-Canadian teams in the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never understood the business case for the Argos being in BMO. They wouldn't own BMO. They wouldn't even be a partner. MLSE and the City are partners in the operation of the stadium. MLSE has a very careful revenue sharing deal with the City on this stadium (that's a contract). Argos can't be partners to that contract unless MLSE allowed it. There'd be no point to allow that, though.

So the Argos could only be a tenant. As a tenant, they wouldn't get favourable deals on concessions and stuff like that. The stadium already covers it's original deal by far, so it's not like MLSE or the City are scrambling for extra revenue to break even. They don't *need* the Argos at all. It's only 9 more games for the stadium. If you grow soccer, you can easily come up with 9 more 20000-attendance games. CFL has no growth potential.

the Argos wouldn't be gaining anything financially from this, and the field would be too small. So it would be no advantage to them.

But if anyone from the Argos comes close to BMO, I'm willing to go down for the protest!!
    Last edited by rocker; 11-27-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I see the Stanley Cup finals happening only on cable - basic cable (which probably covers 95% of this country). There are some very big changes coming to TV in Canada and the difference between network and cable may very wll disappear.

The question is, will all sports be on 'specialty' channels and the answer may very well be yes.

There's also a good argument for TSN saving the CFL, or at least keeping it in the mainstream of sports, something the CBC never could have done.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm asking a serious question here - is this sarcasm, or do you believe this?

btw TSN gets mostly non-Canadian teams in the playoffs.
    LOL. I'm aware that TSN gets mostly American teams in the NHL playoffs, but last season they had Canadian teams in the playoffs for the first time. That was a watershed moment for Canadian sports broadcasting. And its further proof of the shift from broadcast channels to cable. Seems like you are the one that doesn't know what you are talking about.

TSN has tons of money from subscribers, whereas the CBC has to watch what it spends because its a public broadcaster.

CBC has already lost curling and the Olympics to TSN. If they were allowed to openly bid for CBC's hockey content it would be no contest. They have already eroded some of the Canadian NHL playoff matches from CBC. It wouldn't surprise me if they were able to take more next time the contract is up.
    Last edited by menefreghista; 11-27-2009 at 11:28 AM.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is real cause for concern with this IMO.

I am sure the argos will be running around making all kinds of claims, lets face it their organzation is struggling on and off the field and a change would give them a second chance.

I dont want to see it coming at soccers expense though. Them playing in BMO with the natural surface now will damage TFC soccer and the Canadian mens and womans team. There is no way that the pitch could recover from CFL games and be able to host quality soccer. Look at the World Cup qualifier in Montreal, that was an impact game the night before and the pitch was rough.

That NFL game killed Wembly and arguably cost England their shot at Euro.

We are going to need to act on this. No CFL at BMO field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^"Argonot in our stadium"

I agree Phil. I am concerned as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from waaayyyyyy back...

///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN has tons of money from subscribers, whereas the CBC has to watch what it spends because its a public broadcaster.

CBC has already lost curling and the Olympics to TSN. If they were allowed to openly bid for CBC's hockey content it would be no contest. They have already eroded some of the Canadian NHL playoff matches from CBC. It wouldn't surprise me if they were able to take more next time the contract is up.
    Then we'll agree to disagree.

The issue of whether the CBC should be allowed to compete with private broadcasters is a valid one. But if CTV/TSN had won those rights, HNIC and the Stanley Cup Finals would be on CTV. Those ratings are massive. That programming is not going off free-to-air any time soon.

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw how you changed your post. So I'll just say you're handling yourself like a jerk. We're done.

For everyone else: top rated shows are always on free-to-air networks and almost never on specialty/cable networks (there may be exceptions to this, the Grey Cup will be one this week, but they're really rare). Here's an example....
    http://blog.egmedia.ca/?q=node/77
    Last edited by ensco; 11-27-2009 at 11:46 AM.