Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Always There:

We'll have to change the name to Canada's National Football Stadium (get it?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Always There View Post
    Switzerland implies neutrality. I would hope you would not want want the Argos in BMO even if you don't feel you have a say in the matter. Your opinion can still count even if you don't have a direct vote.
    agreed for sure, but there are some things that cannot be openly stated in public forums. i very much get the sense that things are happening here below the surface. this group has learned a lot in its relatively short history.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the idea of the Argos moving to a more intimate stadium. I hate the Rogers Centre (and I wish the BJs moved to an open air stadium as well).

I just want a nice soccer specific stadium for my home team.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    What's cheaper? MLSE buying the Argos or watching the 5 millon on grass go up in smoke?

Joey Pants is a pant load and I've said that before.

Bill Waters and his son HATE the current Argo owners b/c they are 2 faced.

MLSE should buy the Argis, then soon after fold the franchise leaving the
    CFL is a right mess.they might not bounce back from!!! Death to the CFL!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Mighty.......what can one say about you?

Here's an idea -go to the friends of argos website and cause havoc there.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did that last year..got threatend with a lawsuit ...called the CFL the canadian faggot league they got a little pissed!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    did that last year..got threatend with a lawsuit ...called the CFL the canadian faggot league they got a little pissed!!
    That was my secret idea (I am so devilish)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was my secret idea (I am so devilish)

:} im sure someone else will beat me to the punch this time!! tempers are boiling!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    God you're an idiot.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Something isn't adding up right here...

This doesn't make sense though...Why would Argos leave sky dome (they don't pay rent at all) to move to BMO field which will cost them money to play in? Why would City of Toronto be dumb enough to let this happen? Don't they realize that this will kill soccer and all money they make from it(they make more money from soccer than they'll make from argos playing in BMO field)? Also, why would CFL let Argos play on small field?

BTW, I generally enjoy watching CFL (btw, i am planning to watch Grey Cup), but this Argos issue is making it very hard for me to support Argos and CFL right now. In fact, if Argos do end up playing in BMO field, then I hope Bills/NFL comes to Toronto and kill the Argos for good.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    God you're an idiot.

- Scott
    why?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, thats exactly what we don't need. As it was explained before, there are plenty of Argonaut fans that don't want to leave Rogers Centre. Alienating them would be shooting ourselves in the foot. We need as many people on our side as we can get.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry. I was just trying to get Mighty in trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry. I was just trying to get Mighty in trouble.
    It's okay. Your heart was in the right place.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

In other hand, if the Argos do move to BMO field, then I hope MLSE sells the team to owner(s) who actually know the game of soccer and willing spend their own money to build their own stadium.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Dear Councillor Hall,

As a constituent of yours in Ward 1, I am writing to you to express my concern over the possibility of the Toronto Argonauts moving into BMO Field, Canada's National Soccer Stadium and home of Toronto FC.

It was widely reported today that the Argos have again stated their interest in moving to BMO Field. This is concerning to me, as a Torontonian and an avid fan of Canadian soccer, for a number of reasons.

As you may be aware, the process of replacing the FieldTurf pitch at BMO Field with a real grass playing surface was begun today, at a cost of $5 million. The installation of real grass at BMO Field represents a giant step forward for the game of soccer in our city; until now, Canada's national team players had expressed their preference to play at Montreal's Stade Saputo because of its real grass surface, and indeed the FieldTurf surface at BMO has also been roundly criticized by Toronto FC players and staff, as well as visiting players.

However, if the Argonauts were to share BMO Field, the $5 million being spent on grass would be money wasted. The additional wear the field would incur from having the Argonuats play and practice on it would cause it to rapidly deteriorate and become virtually unplayable. Even the FieldTurf surface, likened to concrete after three years of constant use, would be better than a trampled, destroyed grass surface. The cost of maintaining the pitch would inevitably skyrocket with such overuse, and it seems to me that MLSE would likely be reluctant to cover the costs incurred by the Argonauts.

In addition, BMO Field would have to be completely renovated to accommodate the Argonauts. Among other things, additional dressing rooms and training facilities would have to be built, and each of the four stands would have to be moved to accommodate the larger size of a CFL field, which is 45 yards longer and 20 yards wider than the stadium's current field. The necessary work to accommodate the Argos would come at a huge cost to the city; work undertaken to accommodate a team that currently enjoys free rent at the Rogers Centre, a facility also built with funding from the City of Toronto.

The existing Argos ownership also had several opportunities to be part of the proposed stadium development that eventually became BMO Field. They were heavily involved in the various plans to build a joint Argonauts and Canadian national soccer stadium at the University of Toronto and then York University. In fact, their last-minute decision to withdraw from the York stadium plans seriously jeopardized the ability of Toronto to host the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup (FIFA's granting of the tournament to Toronto was on the condition that a soccer-specific stadium be built in time for the tournament), which would have left the city in a publicly humiliating position. Please bear in mind that this late withdrawal from the plans for York University was prompted by the offer from the Rogers Centre to allow the Argos to play rent-free, as documented here:

http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=123591

While I respect the tradition of the Argonauts and in fact am a fan of the team, it is my belief that their playing at BMO Field would not be in the best interests of our city, and especially not in the best interests of Canadian soccer, to which BMO Field has been a godsend. Toronto FC's popularity has furthered the growth of the game in Toronto and across Canada in an un-precedented manner, and last year a FIFA World Cup qualifier between Canada and Jamaica at BMO Field sold out and the support was largely pro-Canadian; something that never would have been possible, and indeed never happened, when our national teams played at Varsity Stadium.

In its present capacity as a soccer-specific stadium BMO Field has been an overwhelming success. While I have the utmost respect for the Toronto Argonauts, their moving to BMO Field would prevent it from being a proper home for Toronto FC and for our Canadian national soccer teams, as illustrated.

I would ask, as a constituent of yours, that should this matter come before city council, you please share my concerns with your peers.

Sincerely,
    Part of it stolen from andyc's letter, but yeah. Harass your councillors, RPBs.
    Last edited by I_AM_CANADIAN; 11-27-2009 at 11:29 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    Tom Anselmi expressed our position on Toronto FC TV. We're Switzerland.
    Neutrality isn't necessarily a good thing... not standing up against something terrible is often as bad as standing with it.

In the immortal words of Neil Peart - "If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice". Freewill, 1980

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    No, thats exactly what we don't need. As it was explained before, there are plenty of Argonaut fans that don't want to leave Rogers Centre. Alienating them would be shooting ourselves in the foot. We need as many people on our side as we can get.

dont worry its not happening this time either...!! but the argo fans may have no choice the same way we dont unless TFC goes to the dome?
    But as usual it all comes down to the politicans..again...MLSE just but the city out of BMO.i know the exhibitions grounds have never been sold to private interests but this time it might have to happen, just fro BMO only and enough area to expand the stadium nothing more, nothing less.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Neutrality isn't necessarily a good thing... not standing up against something terrible is often as bad as standing with it.

In the immortal words of Neil Peart - "If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice". Freewill, 1980
    Excellent album, even if it was 9 years before I was born.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE should just buy the whole damn thing, tell the Argos to piss up a rope and make whatever modifications they want to BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Come on man ... this is MLSE we are talking about here ... they might operate some horrible, horrible teams but one thing they do not do is get screwed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are really good at theoretically spending lots of MLSE's money, haha.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    MLSE should just buy the whole damn thing, tell the Argos to piss up a rope and make whatever modifications they want to BMO Field.
    MLSE is too cheap to buy BMO field even though the City is broke and needs some money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    MLSE is too cheap to buy BMO field even though the City is broke and needs some money.
    Rudi might be able to clarify, but I think it's provincial land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Rudi might be able to clarify, but I think it's provincial land.
    I thought it's City's land. I believe that was their contribute of building BMO field. I don't think City paid any money of building BMO field. They just provided the land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post

That NFL game killed Wembly and arguably cost England their shot at Euro.
    England sucking ass (at the time) cost them their shot at EURO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    Tom Anselmi expressed our position on Toronto FC TV. We're Switzerland.
    I'll help keep the Argo's out. You stop raising my ticket prices.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownTO View Post
    A new message was posted in the thread "Toronto city councillor backs Argos at BMO":

http://communities.sportsnet.ca/message/101125#101125

Author : PhillyCanuck
    Profile : http://communities.sportsnet.ca/people/PhillyCanuck

--------------------------------------------------------------
    I am sick of the "footy" fans talking about this as THEIR stadium...it is NOT TFC's stadium, it is MY stadium, and they play there. My friggin' taxes built it, and I sure as hell saw no reason to put another MLSE money grab in it, but as the idiots on TO city council saw fit, they handed it over. I would prefer to see the Argos there, seeing as it is a stadium for Toronto, and the CFL will outlast MLS by years and years...why wait to make it the Argos stadium...do it now.

YOU SIR, ARE AN IDIOT.
    As far as this sort of "taxpayer funded so anyone should be able to use it" argument is concerned...

Yes, this stadium was buily largely with taxpayer money, and those taxpayers, through their elected representatives in different governments, decided that that money be spent on a NATIONAL SOCCER stadium.

Now some football fans and a privately owned team, want to come in and trample all over the wishes of Torontonian, Ontarian, and Canadian taxpayers by drastically changing what is a very good soccer stadium and, with the addition of a grass field, a genuine home for Canada's national teams.

Surely nothing could further cement the image of "selfish arrogant Toronto" in the eyes of the rest of the province and country, than having the NATIONAL SOCCER stadium they built with their own money, radically altered for the worse for the sake of a privately owned, Toronto based football team. Taxpayers surely wouldn't stand for that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Darlofletch; 11-28-2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: putting commas in the right places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this goes through, the city will demonstrate that they are only concerned with short term profits, which won't be anywhere near what they expect. They will definitely kill the goose that laid the golden egg.
    So much for TO being an "international and world city"...