Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Protecting Barrett will pay off

A Bold Prediction

Many have questioned why he was kept on the protected list. Despite his 'finishing', the upside looks better and with a few tweaks, possibly only in confidence (Cunningham?), we will be thankful for not letting him go.

+ Has all the tools, just needs to sharpen a few
    + Will be coached by not just a former, but one of the best all-time MLS strikers
    + Is entering the prime years for a striker

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm....this all sounds familiar.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you willing to wear a dress if he doesn't bag 10 goals next year?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if it will pay off at TFC. There's a pretty good chance though that Chad will bag a bunch if he goes somewhere else....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Are you willing to wear a dress if he doesn't bag 10 goals next year?
    Haha ask Jeremy!!

I don't think any dress will top Duane's. We'd have to raise the ante for 2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No cross dressing gents, sorry.

The mea culpa column will be appropriately self-depricating, however.

I just see something in the kid. I've followed soccer for over 30 years and Barrett has some serious tools, they're just tools people don't pay much attention to, like good lateral movement, movement off the defensive zones, getting behind the high defender, stuff like that.

You can't teach that stuff. You CAN teach a headstrong adrenaline junkie to stop acting like his right foot is the sledgehammer of god when all he needs is to poke the damn thing into the corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ He is not without tools. As I said many times I like him, I just do not like him as a pure CF. The issue is when can you give up on a player in the MLS? This is a question not just for him but more particullarly for Wynne. I keep on thinking they can learn, but at some point time will be up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you remember when Carver was coach after a game where Barrett missed a few he said at the next practise they were going to recreate all the chances so Barrett could finish them, but the practise was only two hours so they couldn't get to them all.

Now, that's a pretty funny line and in the right circumstances it could be used effectively to lighten the tension. And maybe it was the right thing to say but things didn't work out for some other reason, but it will be interesting to see what happens with Barrett and a coach who's been there himself and scored goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Finishing has a large mental component on it. It seems to require ( I am talking as a CB, so take it with a grain of salt) the quick decision coupled with skill, to do just the right thing in that split second you have to finish. Sometimes it is just touching the ball over the line, sometimes it is a quick header, sometimes it is a simple placed ball to the corner. Barret simply seems to make the wrong decision more often then not when he finds himslef in a scoring opportunity. I would think he can learn it. But I am not sure that he will be able too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow People actually still have hope on Barrett? Really?

24 years old, never scored over 10 goals in one season despite being a striker, and there's still people out there who still thinks he'll become a 15 plus goal scorer just like that.

Stop being in Denial seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post

24 years old, never scored over 10 goals in one season despite being a striker, and there's still people out there who still thinks he'll become a 15 plus goal scorer just like that.

Stranger things have happened
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post

You're seriously overexaggerating. I said he had the potential to score 15. I didn't say he'd score 15 "just like that".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has the tools to be a good striker yes. But I think it's more than just a lack of confindence. He had his long spell and then scored and then went back under the radar. I would have thought after scoring the winner in MTL he would have went on a tear but he just disappeared again.

There is something wrong with him just can't put my finger on it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure its a mental issue.

He has the skills and the effort.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has scored more than his share of goals for me on FIFA 10...But seriously, I also feel that he can become a consistent 10-15 goal scorer with the right tutelage, aka Preki...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all I think can agree that we love the hussle of him and determination but mabey that is the reason why he just can't seem to bag alot of goals.

Like in hockey he needs to go back to the basics. Get those dirty cleanup goals and pound in deflections. Mabey even always shoot on the first touch. Seems that a few times this year he moved to get a better avenue to shoot and then his shot let him down. Taking the shot on the first touch might just help him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    We all I think can agree that we love the hussle of him and determination but mabey that is the reason why he just can't seem to bag alot of goals.

Like in hockey he needs to go back to the basics. Get those dirty cleanup goals and pound in deflections. Mabey even always shoot on the first touch. Seems that a few times this year he moved to get a better avenue to shoot and then his shot let him down. Taking the shot on the first touch might just help him.
    I see what you're saying and it might be the right solution for scoring. But it's not needed for getting shots... he took the second most shots on the team this season. (DeRo's strike rate wasn't that much better, by the way, at 11 goals on 80 shots versus Barrett's 5 goals on 55 shots.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo scores on every 7.2 shots on net.
    Barrett scores on every 11 shots on net.

Barrett would need to shoot 165 times a season to score 15 goals!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if TFC trade him he wins golden boot next year !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    DeRo scores on every 7.2 shots on net.
    Barrett scores on every 11 shots on net.

Barrett would need to shoot 165 times a season to score 15 goals!!
    As I said, DeRo isn't much better, as 7.2 shots per goal is also a terrible rate. By top euro standards you're looking for 1-in-4 shots or better. One of the knocks on Andy Cole when he was at Man Utd in a good partnership with Dwight Yorke was that his strike rate was only 1 goal for every 4.25 shots.

So you can imagine what they'd think of Dwayne's return, and Barrett wouldn't even merit a look.

But I think OldTimer's right, barrett just needs the right guy to get him past his block, because anyone who misses the net more than he shoots is just hitting the ball too damn hard.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely agree. Composure is necessary to finish chances. Composure comes with maturity and confidence. Last season Chad had neither.

I often thought that he might be a good candidate to receive services from a top notch sports psychologist.

Just another point to add - not to single out Chad here. Our entire strike force, since inception, has been plagued by the same lack of mental steadiness under stress. At some point, someone has to ask the question "why do we have this pattern - on this team?" In science, a trend is often defined as 4 points on curve moving in the same general direction. How many strikers have we had, in succession, that could not finish 80% or more of their chances?

Could it be coincidence?
    Last edited by DOMIN8R; 11-24-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Additions x 2
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does TFC have an in house shrink?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    I absolutely agree. Composure is necessary to finish chances. Composure comes with maturity and confidence. Last season Chad had neither.

I often thought that he might be a good candidate to receive services from a top notch sports psychologist.

Just another point to add - not to single out Chad here. Our entire strike force, since inception, has been plagued by the same lack of mental steadiness under stress. At some point, someone has to ask the question "why do we have this pattern - on this team?" In science, a trend is often defined as 4 points on curve moving in the same general direction. How many strikers have we had, in succession, that could not finish 80% or more of their chances?

Could it be coincidence?
    Be interesting to see their "home versus away" breakdown, to see if it's related to the pressure of playing in front of such a boisterous crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised that shat barrett scored 5 goals this season good on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    How many strikers have we had, in succession, that could not finish 80% or more of their chances?
    80%!!!?!?!!?!

An earlier post suggested that 1/4 is a bit more reasonable. That's 25%. You want 80%??

I have a 75-83% strike rate in my water polo league, and I know how much pressure and how hard it is to maintain that!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No... could not finish 80% of their chances. As in... could only finish 20%. At best.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    80%!!!?!?!!?!

An earlier post suggested that 1/4 is a bit more reasonable. That's 25%. You want 80%??

I have a 75-83% strike rate in my water polo league, and I know how much pressure and how hard it is to maintain that!!
    Perhaps my post wasn't very clear.

How many strikers have we had, in succession, that could not finish 80% or more of their chances?
    • I interprete this to be that they finish (score) 20% or less of their chances - but it wasn't clear
    • Strike rate is a term open to interpretation, to the best of my knowledge
    For instance, Michael Owen said today... '
    You can twist stats whichever way you want. A goal every one-and-a-halfgames sounds good, whereas four goals in 16 games isn't quite soimpressive. But they're both accurate.
    'All I'mconcerned about is playing and scoring as many times as I can. At Madrid it was a similar story - I didn't start every game but I ended up with the best goals-to-minutes ratio in the league.
    http://www.football.co.uk/liverpool/...ss271147.shtml

I don't have a hard definition. My intention was simply to draw attention to what appears as consistent problem with our forwards since 2007.

Sorry for the confusion.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dislike Chad Barrett he's arrogant and useless. Arrogant based on the mind numbing time spent with him waiting in the airport and useless based on well.. last season So I ask this again why the fuck was he kept protected?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EENIE MAN View Post
    does TFC have an in house shrink?
    I was wondering this myself earlier in the season. I don't think they do. I researched a bit, and it looks like the the Leafs have gone through a slew of them. Obviously its not really working.

My advice? Somebody take poor Chad out to the Brass Rail after the Pub Crawl and make him pay for everything....He'll feel better and you'll feel you got some payback for that inflated salary he is pulling in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have faith in Barrett if he's used properly. Having said that, I wouldn't have protected him. First off, I don't think that he would have been taken so we could have used the spot to protect someone else. If he was taken, then the cap space opened up by his departure could easily be used to replace him. So, nothing against him - I'm willing to give him a chance under new circumstances here - but I wouldn't have protected him.