Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gixmo

Default MLS Cup - LA Galaxy vs Real Salt Lake - Post Game Thread

Great game, real winner tonight if Football in North America.

Excellent goal keeping, some ballsy shots and a Landycakes turkey.. Excellent...

Come on Pre-season

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder if we are going to see an updated version of the landy cakes book by Christmas
    06-18-09 i was there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to Real Salt Lake, they were very deserving champs!

Think about what it means for TFC - RSL stood for futility until two years ago. And now they've won the Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very exciting game. Watched the whole thing. 1-1 was not a just score on what happened in the actual game. It should have been higher.

That game looked like Championship quality football last night. High tempo, and 2nd division play, which is better than the low tempo, and mid table 3rd Div quality of play which characterizes MLS throughout the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was the attendance tonight in Seattle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an aside, how was the crowd atmosphere tonight? I didn't get to see the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    As an aside, how was the crowd atmosphere tonight? I didn't get to see the game.
    Yeah, how many visiting fans from LA/RSL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRenter View Post
    What was the attendance tonight in Seattle?
    46,011 i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^that's a good #, no?

sorry i missed this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRenter View Post
    ^that's a good #, no?

sorry i missed this one
    Highest attendance since 02 I think they said.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GREAT GAME!

Everything a soccer game should be. The teams left it all on the field.

I would like to make one note:

POOR FORM BY GOL TV NOT LEAVING ENOUGH TIME FOR EXTRA TIME!

I thought ahead and even recorded an extra half hour and STILL missed the penalties. So I actually have not seen it yet. Even with my preparation, Gol TV STILL screwed me. Whoever does the programming there is an idiot. You ALWAYS leave extra time in a championship game.

But the game itself was awesome, gripping, entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was pulling for LA as I think it would have been better for the league overall for the Galaxy to win. But RSL winning is also good for us...as they are barely older than we are, there really are no excuses for Toronto FC now. Success is not as unreachable as Mo Johnston and Tom Anselmi would have us believe.

Respect goes out to the Seattle soccer fan who came out to support their team all year and gave a good showing at the championship game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really?! What game were you guys watching? Just got back from the Stoney Creek kickabout, a bunch of us watched it there. There wasn't a shot until something like the 30'th minute? Free kicks and corners went nowhere. As a neutral, I thought it was a poor quality game?? Maybe its just me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorCanSoc View Post
    Really?! What game were you guys watching? Just got back from the Stoney Creek kickabout, a bunch of us watched it there. There wasn't a shot until something like the 30'th minute? Free kicks and corners went nowhere. As a neutral, I thought it was a poor quality game?? Maybe its just me?
    It's just you.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see Landycakes miss after his stupid penalty raindance routine.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

last team to beat rsl was us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A very good game I thought, and for people who did not think it was a good game your probably people who already go into watching an MLS game with an ingrained bias in your head which is that it's the MLS therefore it will be crap. Get over your stupid bias and enjoy the game and the league and stop trying to compare everything about the league to what you see in Europe. Todays game had good fan support in a very nice stadium and the TV production was very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been an MLS fan for a long time. I just didn't see it in the game tonight. I guess I just got it engrained from the first 20 or so minutes. Even when L.A. scored, I didn't see RSL pressing very hard. Just my opinion folks, don't let it bother you too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan View Post
    Todays game had good fan support in a very nice stadium and the TV production was very good.
    How was the football?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ thats the same game I saw. not very entertaining football but an exciting finish. By the end I was rooting for RSL....against almost every fibre of my being...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHERE ARE THE HIGHLIGHT!??!?!

I missed the game, and took a look around mlsnet and youtube to find some highlights...nothing, but i did get an awsome email from mlsgear.com asking me to buy some RSL Cup Championshiop gear. Thanks MLS, withhold the content, while trying to reach into my pocket! .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first half was definitely shit. Boring, full of pointless and aimless longballs by both sides. But Kreis said something at the half, and really lit a fire under his players' asses. 2nd half was amazing IMO, full of quick tempo attacking, and RSL was bossing. The two halves of extra time were quite decent, though it got sloppy by the 2nd half clearly due to exhaustion. Both coaches didn't get to make good use of their subs, since 2 of them for each team were used on injuries.

I was actually rooting for LA before this game, as they "deserved" winning more than a sub-.500 RSL... but their lacklustre 2nd half display really swayed me... RSL really gave it all today. And lots of respect to Becks... I'm not a big fan of his, but he definitely worked his ass off tonight (even though his overall performance was shit... RSL did a damn good job of shutting him down).

I think this would rank as one of the better games in the playoffs... Houston vs Seattle still beats this one in my eyes, but not by that much.
    Last edited by Fushida; 11-23-2009 at 01:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priceless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beckerman had a great game if you ask me. He's the heart of that RSL team.

RSL is my least hated team of the Western Conference, I hope this will mean they sell all their season tickets next season, as it would be great to have a financially strong MLS. The success of the small market clubs is necessary to have that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    POOR FORM BY GOL TV NOT LEAVING ENOUGH TIME FOR EXTRA TIME!

I thought ahead and even recorded an extra half hour and STILL missed the penalties. So I actually have not seen it yet. Even with my preparation, Gol TV STILL screwed me. Whoever does the programming there is an idiot. You ALWAYS leave extra time in a championship game.
    We watched the entire game live. We stopped at 11:49 ET after the presentation of the cup itself. Not once did we lose the feed or it go to something else.

Extra time took about 40 minutes all told (including the break at the start and the added time at the end), PKs took another 10 or so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    We watched the entire game live. We stopped at 11:49 ET after the presentation of the cup itself. Not once did we lose the feed or it go to something else.

Extra time took about 40 minutes all told (including the break at the start and the added time at the end), PKs took another 10 or so.
    I think he's talking about them not setting aside enough time in the program guide, to cover recording potential extra time and penalties to a PVR.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was a good game with a lot of excitement. Bith teams were exhausted and left everything on the (plastic) pitch.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree. thought it was piss poor both from quality standpoint and from entertainment standpoint.
    i hate penalty kicks, but i'm glad that game finally got put out of its misery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I didn't think it was that great of a game... a lot of midfield battles but the first 20-30 minutes were boring as hell. They were just feeling each other out and barely getting anything good going. I felt like things finally picked up with the LA goal. The second half was better.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say it was a terrific game.
    It was decent, but the play often seemed far too congested, the passing was clumsy and the scoring opportunities will few.
    It had it's moments though.

I admit, I was kinda cheering for the other team (the - what's best for the league thing).
    And I lost a dollar on the result....