Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    Montreal in? thats a major disappointment....but on the good side they will Fold like the Manic within 5 years...heres hoping!!
    Ummmmmm actually they will have a shit load of money behind them...also they will be attracting certain french players, but hey wtf do I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    ^ #1 summer sport?
    Actually once again I will have to educate...2,695,712 people played soccer in Canada last year...ONLY 532,435 registered participants in hockey. The ONLY place hockey is more popular is in the "sticks"! Ummm ya might want to look at attendance for TFC games, Impact game against Mexican club...Are you that fecken ignorant? I dont care what anyone says the registration numbers prove it!!! The only people keeping hockey alive is the last generation...the younger generations all prefer this game! Also Canada has huge immigration numbers, you know what that means, smart guy....football on the brain. Please dont bother arguing with me coz I'll blow you out of the water on this topic. I'll back it up with facts not emotion. Just as I've done with registration numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    spoke with Don Garber and Drew Carey today, Montreal is not confirmed at all. It is being pursued as a prospective expansion post 2012 as 19th team. As of today, still 50/50.
    No shit dick tracy, where did you leave your squad car... It will be officially announced at the beginning of 2010. This is a leak, but if you want to downplay it and dismiss the inevatable you can also look for the yellow brick roadIts done and lets just say the French are coming!

thank god...its not set in stone...there is still time for saputo to screw it up again...there are better soccer markets then Montreal..Gettinga second team in New York should be higher on the MLS agenda, as well as
    St LOUIS, Minnesota, San Diego, they should all jump ahead of Montreal in the entry position.
    Smoke another one...seriously I wonder about some on these boards. You are like clones. Think with logic not emotion. They had over 50,000 at Champions League game...what do you think MLS said after that??? Seriously what do you think, I want to hear it? Are you american by chance? I'm asking because you mentioned all american cities and not one of them have put up Montreals stats as far as attendances, USL championships. So please go ahead enlighten me with your wisdom

And lastly some of you really need to think before you speak. Do you NOT KNOW what this means for the game in CANADA???

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTACUS View Post
    Ummmmmm actually they will have a shit load of money behind them...also they will be attracting certain french players, but hey wtf do I know.

Actually once again I will have to educate...2,695,712 people played soccer in Canada last year...ONLY 532,435 registered participants in hockey. The ONLY place hockey is more popular is in the "sticks"! Ummm ya might want to look at attendance for TFC games, Impact game against Mexican club...Are you that fecken ignorant? I dont care what anyone says the registration numbers prove it!!! The only people keeping hockey alive is the last generation...the younger generations all prefer this game! Also Canada has huge immigration numbers, you know what that means, smart guy....football on the brain. Please dont bother arguing with me coz I'll blow you out of the water on this topic. I'll back it up with facts not emotion. Just as I've done with registration numbers.

No shit dick tracy, where did you leave your squad car... It will be officially announced at the beginning of 2010. This is a leak, but if you want to downplay it and dismiss the inevatable you can also look for the yellow brick roadIts done and lets just say the French are coming!

Smoke another one...seriously I wonder about some on these boards. You are like clones. Think with logic not emotion. They had over 50,000 at Champions League game...what do you think MLS said after that??? Seriously what do you think, I want to hear it? Are you american by chance? I'm asking because you mentioned all american cities and not one of them have put up Montreals stats as far as attendances, USL championships. So please go ahead enlighten me with your wisdom

And lastly some of you really need to think before you speak. Do you NOT KNOW what this means for the game in CANADA???
    It is ONE person that is spewing verbal diarrhea about this topic; most of us realize what it would mean to have Montreal in the league. So please do not lump the rest of us in the same category as the ONE person that, I believe, has a few screws loose.
    Last edited by WHITEY; 11-22-2009 at 03:44 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEBREAD View Post
    It is ONE person that spewing verbal diarrhea about this topic; most of us realize what it would mean to have Montreal in the league. So please do not lump the rest of us in the same category as the ONE person that, I believe, has a few screws loose.
    Most of us just block/ignore this ONE person but he really is the antithesis of intelligence. I have never seen someone be so wrong, so often; it is like is trying to be a moron.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bad I'm not saying YOU ALL are idiots.....just a VERY select few. You guys have been great, very informative, knowledgable fans. You have even welcomed me being a whitecaps supporter. I dont throw shit your way nor do I ever slam the great club of TFC. I respect the game.
    Last edited by SPARTACUS; 11-22-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people forget that soccer is indeed the most participated sport in Canada...

For children/families its easy to play anywhere, its cheap in regards to gear & registration, and is a relatively safe sport (compared to others)...

The biggest thing against it is the relatively short season most soccer associations have. Some towns go for only 3-months, while fields sit empty for the rest of the year - I'm not saying soccer in January, but the local seasons could be expanded...

Its nowhere near #1 in regards to money & tv audience, but it is growing every year - with us being a large reason for this. TFC keeps footy on the radar between major competitions & matches...

I have no reason to think it will not continue to grow, especially with Vancouver joining the top league in Canada/USA and Montreal hopefull to follow...

Another thing that footy has going for it is the economy, and the increased focus on health and the weight problem with our countries youth. Soccer is cheap and a great cardio-workout... Its definitely a sport almost anyone can play at the recreational level..

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring on Montreal. The sooner the better. I look forward to the day we can take 5,000+ to Montreal

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
    Bring on Montreal. The sooner the better. I look forward to the day we can take 5,000+ to Montreal
    that would be soo cool but i dont know if that would actually be possible. Once in MLS, i imagine they would be similar to toronto in that they would sell out regularly, esp. against us. I imagine it will be the equivalent of 5000 impact supporters trying to come to BMO, i wouldnt count on us travlling in large number

unless we played at the stade olympique!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shawn6597 View Post
    that would be soo cool but i dont know if that would actually be possible. Once in MLS, i imagine they would be similar to toronto in that they would sell out regularly, esp. against us. I imagine it will be the equivalent of 5000 impact supporters trying to come to BMO, i wouldnt count on us travlling in large number

unless we played at the stade olympique!!!
    I will guarantee The Impact and the Whitecaps will have a full section for travelling fans...Realistically we the Whitecaps will have rivalries with Seattle, TFC and the Impact, for now that is. We would encourage you TFC fans to visit BC Place as I'm sure you would like the same. It will just show the world that Canada does support the sport and the fan support speaks volumes. You guys may travel to Montreal 5000 deep due to the relative closeness of the 2 clubs on the map. Just like the Whitecaps and the Sounders... It sure would be nice to see and hear at least a 1000 of you in BC place and vicea versa. TFC fans know how to support their club and colors, we would be honoured to have you guys visit the city and the stadium when the time comes...BTW In no NHL city do you get thousands of fans travelling to a game...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

putting 50,000 in a stadium for a one off match is not that hard when you winning..do you think the same 50,000 would have turned up if Montreal had played away in the first leg and got slaughtered? Not Likely.. Having Montreal will not improve the game that much here...hare fans in winnipeg going to start watching soccer cause montreal has a MLS team..NO..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's keep this thread to Montreal's potential expansion team, and not personal issues.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Let's keep this thread to Montreal's potential expansion team, and not personal issues.
    re: Rycroft's rumor that MTL was in and would be anounced this weekend...ummm... the game kicks off in 3 hours, and...not a peep from the Don or anything on the league or Limpact website.

Is this rumor bunk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    re: Rycroft's rumor that MTL was in and would be anounced this weekend...ummm... the game kicks off in 3 hours, and...not a peep from the Don or anything on the league or Limpact website.

Is this rumor bunk?
    Might be the highlight of the half time show. Sorry TEB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCRegina View Post
    Might be the highlight of the half time show. Sorry TEB
    doing it at halftime would be a great way to announce it actually. well , there's hope yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Columbus deserves a second team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    sure, they can build a second stadium with the 10000 empty seats Crew Stadium has now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    +1

That way they could both have really bad attendance and fold.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YaY!! three cheers for an unstable league!! :P

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

putting 50,000 in a stadium for a one off match is not that hard when you winning..do you think the same 50,000 would have turned up if Montreal had played away in the first leg and got slaughtered? Not Likely.. Having Montreal will not improve the game that much here...hare fans in winnipeg going to start watching soccer cause montreal has a MLS team..NO..
    Actually Winnipeg has a great soccer image...They sold out the Pan Am Games... and the Winnipeg Fury back in CSL days averaged crowds around 9,000-12,000! I know coz I grew up in that city! Ever hear of Folklorama smart guy? How many pavillions from around the world are in Winnipeg? What happens in the middle of summer there for 2 weeks is phenominal in terms of a world soccer tournament! I remembr playing against a team from Russia and one from Thailand in the first rounds! What do you think that means? Diversity, ethnic heritages and alot of people who dont give a shit about hockey. If they did there would be an NHL team back in that city. Your comment sure sure speaks volumes in terms of your lack of knowledge of the game at a grass roots level, let alone the professionals.
    Why do so many of you actually speak without thinking or really knowing anything...is it in the water???
    Next time you may want to keep your mouth shut and just look like an idiot...Than to actually open it and erase all doubt

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post

Is this rumor bunk?
    I know its tough for some of you to read english or understand it...

Lets try this again since you were too lazy to listen to the link. It will be announced at the kick off to the 2010 season. Might want to stop smoking that Bunk and pay attention

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Winnipeg has a great soccer image...They sold out the Pan Am Games... and the Winnipeg Fury back in CSL days averaged crowds around 9,000-12,000! I know coz I grew up in that city! Ever hear of Folklorama smart guy? How many pavillions from around the world are in Winnipeg? What happens in the middle of summer there for 2 weeks is phenominal in terms of a world soccer tournament! I remembr playing against a team from Russia and one from Thailand in the first rounds! What do you think that means? Diversity, ethnic heritages and alot of people who dont give a shit about hockey. If they did there would be an NHL team back in that city. Your comment sure sure speaks volumes in terms of your lack of knowledge of the game at a grass roots level, let alone the professionals.
    Why do so many of you actually speak without thinking or really knowing anything...is it in the water???
    Next time you may want to keep your mouth shut and just look like an idiot...Than to actually open it and erase all doubt
    It's surprising the beliefs people have about ethnic diversity out on the Prairies isn't it?

I often state that while mega cities are more "multi-cultural" they completely have no understanding of how diverse the rural areas of this country are. There are still places in Winnipeg and Regina you can go and hear people speaking Ukrainian or Russian. Not so much in Regina, although people are studying cree a lot these days and it's becoming a more popular language in the vast First Nations population.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets try this again since you were too lazy to listen to the link. It will be announced at the kick off to the 2010 season. Might want to stop smoking that Bunk and pay attention
    Dude ... tone down the hostility. I know there are some pretty stupid posts in this thread but you can make your point without belittling others.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=SPARTACUS;797730]Ummmmmm actually they will have a shit load of money behind them...also they will be attracting certain french players, but hey wtf do I know.

The numbers are true that more kids do play soccer then hockey but, the reason that is mostly because hockey is now becoming way to expensive for kids to play, while soccer is and always will be a poor mans (or cheap) sport, but lets not get stupid now. Just because the more registration number for soccer doesn't mean that it more popular then hockey. You can go to just about anyone and talk puck, but it wont be same for example the CMNT or qualifying for the world cup for "there country". If you want to look at numbers go look at the t.v ratings for HNIC compared to toronto fc game or something like that. Soccer is really a tv numbers grabbing when the world cup is around....really thats when everyone starts talking about soccer in Canada.Hockey is as it stands right now, the #1 sport for sports fans in Canada, but the real question is when soccer will or ever will catch up.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think before you speak indeed. Love your passion for the sport and I assume for our team(?) since you're on our board but if you've been around you'd know the poster you're quoting the most has a diiferent view from most on the boards.

Also "dick tracy" is a valued member of our group at the MLS cup and was asked to report on anything he talked about there with actual people working within MLS and not just with other keyboard experts like ourselves.

I welcome TFC fans from afar and their different angle from not being here but respect goes both ways Sparty. You want to educate not depricate.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dispute the statement "soccer is obviously bigger than hockey". Give me a break.

1) Soccer player stats are not representative of interest. They have been much larger than hockey player stats for decades, because hockey is expensive. Every kid in Canada plays soccer, but for the vast majority it's because they have to - their parents or the school makes them do it. This is obviously good for the long term interest of the game, but look at the ratings, 95% of those kids still watch the Leafs at night, not Champions League or TFC.

2) As an industry, in terms of dollars, hockey dwarfs soccer in Canada - it's gotta be 100:1 in favour of hockey.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    A lot of people forget that soccer is indeed the most participated sport in Canada...

For children/families its easy to play anywhere, its cheap in regards to gear & registration, and is a relatively safe sport (compared to others)...

The biggest thing against it is the relatively short season most soccer associations have. Some towns go for only 3-months, while fields sit empty for the rest of the year - I'm not saying soccer in January, but the local seasons could be expanded...

Its nowhere near #1 in regards to money & tv audience, but it is growing every year - with us being a large reason for this. TFC keeps footy on the radar between major competitions & matches...

I have no reason to think it will not continue to grow, especially with Vancouver joining the top league in Canada/USA and Montreal hopefull to follow...

Another thing that footy has going for it is the economy, and the increased focus on health and the weight problem with our countries youth. Soccer is cheap and a great cardio-workout... Its definitely a sport almost anyone can play at the recreational level..

Carts...
    Agreed. TV numbers and commercial revenues are where the real meat is chewed. As great as it is to hear hwo many kids (and adults) are signing up for soccer in Canada, until the sport becomes more heavyweight commercially it will just be a past time for a lot pf people and not a serious contender.

The World Cup will generate a lot of interest next Summer and TFC really needs to cash in on this interest. I don't mean in terms of ticket sales, they have that covered. But it would be a good time to start focussing on a WINNING RUN so that all those people who only get excited about the sport once every four years get their head turned by TFC and then some of them may stay interested. It shouldn't be too hard to double the TFC tv ratings for matches based on the world cup, if the team is getting it done on the pitch. I'm not pointing at Preki here, god knows he has just joined and needs time and assistance, but MLSE should really be looking at next summer and thinking "time to grow the sport big time". To that end, they need to throw everything at Preki that he asks for in terms of help (not saying they won't or haven't already) and indulge in some smart marketing designed to capture the World Cup fans and point them to TFC.

Vancouver needs to do something similar - cash in on their imminent arrival in MLS during the World Cup.

In fact, TFC and Vancouver might want to get some joint TV commercials going on during the world cup to say "hey look, Canada has MLS teams, they're going to be rivals AND taking on the best teams in the US *cough Beckham cough*, and you can watch them every week on tv or come down and see the games live".

If we still have Guevara then play that card too - "TFC has a player at the world Cup". Same goes for Vancouver if they can claim the same thing.

And also plug the Canada Cup. It might only be a few matches once a year but people just don't know about it outside of the existing fan base of each team. Domestically, from a rivalry point of view, it doesn't get any bigger than that for soccer in Canada. PLUG IT IN THE WORLD CUP.

And if/when Mtl join the league, I'd really like to see some Canada only tv ads that plug the three Canadian teams and the Canadian rivalry.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 11-23-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations, you've won the arrogant prick of the year award!

Everyone knows soccer is the number one participation sport, you're not special for pointing that out. My point is that soccer is still way behind hockey and even Canadian football in terms of being a spectator sport. I wish soccer was the number one sport but it's not there yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh I understand it, and just so you understand it, that's NOT what was originally posted on his Metro News Blog. he said it would be announced this weekend, it wasn't, and he's since changed his blog entry. oh and BTW, you can take your horseshit attitude and shove it. you're in BC? shouldn't you be supporting the SHitecaps anyway?
    Last edited by arbogast; 11-23-2009 at 09:43 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben has just updated his scoop. And with this line:

Three independent sources have confirmed that Montreal has agreed on the $35-million US expansion fee and the team will be announced this March.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some legs to the rumour:

Major League Soccer would like Montreal to become its 19th team in 2012, if it can get a stadium remodeled.
    MLS commissioner Don Garber said Sunday night at the MLS Cup title match that Montreal is a strong candidate for the next round of expansion after Vancouver, British Columbia, and Portland, Ore., enter the league in 2011.

The only existing, soccer-ready stadium in Montreal is 14,000-seat Saputo Stadium. That's home to potential MLS owner Joey Saputo's team in a second-division league.
    Garber says the league is working with the government of Quebec to find a funding plan for the needed remodeling to Saputo Stadium.
    http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2...s_montreal.txt

It's not done yet, though, until the stadium issue is resolved.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ That should be a given, seeing as how the Quebec government sponsors the Impact on their jerseys.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)