Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    Why Vancouver?

Lets see, they have no SSS and looks like they may never get one...
    there fans are still whinning over TFC winning the Canadian championship.. dont like BC place for football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    Lets see, they have no SSS and looks like they may never get one...
    there fans are still whinning over TFC winning the Canadian championship.. dont like BC place for football.
    So you really don't have an excuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think this has been posted anywhere, so here goes.....
    I noticed that both Vancouver and Portland's MLS sites are vancouvermls2011.com and portlandmls2011.com...so out of curiosity I did a Whois search on montrealmls2012.com. Sure enough, it was registered by Saputo Dairy this August: http://www.whois.net/whois/montrealmls2012.com

Now, it's not a surprise that Montreal is serious about MLS in 2012 and it only makes sense to secure the domain in case they successfully make a bid. However, what I found much MORE interesting is that montrealmls2011.com was registered at the same time: http://www.whois.net/whois/montrealmls2011.com

It's possible they bought up the 2011 domain to catch any typos, etc., but then why didn't they register 2013? Is it possible that Montreal is seriously eyeing 2011?? MLSr posted a completely unsubstantiated rumour (sorry for linking to them...) that Montreal is looking to replace Portland in 2011... Might there be some truth to it? Or maybe a third expansion team in 2011??

Sorry if this seems a little too tinfoil-hat! I just kind of found it a little interesting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ excellent research!
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    montreal will be in, just a matter of finalizing details and clearing red tapes... so.. if everything works out.. it'll be announced

but... don't count the chickens until they are hatched
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scut farkus View Post
    I don't think this has been posted anywhere, so here goes.....
    I noticed that both Vancouver and Portland's MLS sites are vancouvermls2011.com and portlandmls2011.com...so out of curiosity I did a Whois search on montrealmls2012.com. Sure enough, it was registered by Saputo Dairy this August: http://www.whois.net/whois/montrealmls2012.com

Now, it's not a surprise that Montreal is serious about MLS in 2012 and it only makes sense to secure the domain in case they successfully make a bid. However, what I found much MORE interesting is that montrealmls2011.com was registered at the same time: http://www.whois.net/whois/montrealmls2011.com

It's possible they bought up the 2011 domain to catch any typos, etc., but then why didn't they register 2013? Is it possible that Montreal is seriously eyeing 2011?? MLSr posted a completely unsubstantiated rumour (sorry for linking to them...) that Montreal is looking to replace Portland in 2011... Might there be some truth to it? Or maybe a third expansion team in 2011??

Sorry if this seems a little too tinfoil-hat! I just kind of found it a little interesting.
    Yeah it is a bit of a standard practise for a company or organization to buy up a domain name such as www.montrealmls2011.com for potential use in the near or distant future.

Now, the thing about Portland is that they still haven't worked out a venue deal between the club and the city. It really doesn't look good for them at all, which shouldn't be all that surprising. Let's face it, the Whitecaps have been making the news a heck of a lot more than the Timbers. I haven't heard shit about the Portland club since the expansion announcement, and from what I have seen, its mostly bad for them.

Montreal already has the organization in place, the facility, and guaranteed financial support from the province to expand Stade Saputo. What do the Timbers have?

Not saying this is a sure thing, but as it's been hypothesis before, it could very well be that Montreal is Garber's back-up plan if Portland well and truly falls through, and both him and Saputo have reached an agreement to that end.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere that Saputo was willing to join 2012 and forgo the expansion draft by using his USL side. I wonder if that is true at all and whether or not MLS would even consider that idea. Imagine how exciting 2011 would be if three great new markets such as these came in, the attendance average would surely go up 1000 at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping for Montreal to be in, Once all the hurdles are figured out, I think they will be in 2012. Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, watch MLS attendance go up about 60%. That should put a frown on Bill Archers Face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I read somewhere that Saputo was willing to join 2012 and forgo the expansion draft by using his USL side. I wonder if that is true at all and whether or not MLS would even consider that idea. Imagine how exciting 2011 would be if three great new markets such as these came in, the attendance average would surely go up 1000 at least.
    Hmmmm...now I haven't heard of that myself, but I gotta tell you it seems like a pretty good idea for MLS if they agreed to it. It would definitely save some cash for the league and the other clubs wouldn't have to go through the hassle like they normally would.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I am hoping for Montreal to be in, Once all the hurdles are figured out, I think they will be in 2012. Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, watch MLS attendance go up about 60%. That should put a frown on Bill Archers Face.
    Ratings in Canada are really going to spike, I would estimate (an uneducated guess, McCarthy[name right?] would be better at this) will at least triple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ratings in Canada are really going to spike, I would estimate (an uneducated guess, McCarthy[name right?] would be better at this) will at least triple.
    I would imagine so since MLS would be covering at least 60% of the population with the three teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would imagine so since MLS would be covering at least 60% of the population with the three teams.
    What's the possibility of adding one more Canadian team to that list? So essentially, 19th and 20h would be from Canada. It was something I thought very unlikely even just few months ago, but with the things the way it is now, with no other US market stepping up above the rest to be the 20th, and with momentum from Canadian markets, am I that crazy to suggest a 4th Canadian club?

Even more, if Van and Mon do succeed (marketwise) as we all expect them to, 4th club doesn't even have to be from as strong market. It's sort of like a 2nd tier market, and I can't imagine it will do worse than Columbus or KC, but with potential to be much better. With a strong ownership, a controlled venue, and of course $$$ for expansion fee, why not?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC247 View Post
    What's the possibility of adding one more Canadian team to that list? So essentially, 19th and 20h would be from Canada. It was something I thought very unlikely even just few months ago, but with the things the way it is now, with no other US market stepping up above the rest to be the 20th, and with momentum from Canadian markets, am I that crazy to suggest a 4th Canadian club?

Even more, if Van and Mon do succeed (marketwise) as we all expect them to, 4th club doesn't even have to be from as strong market. It's sort of like a 2nd tier market, and I can't imagine it will do worse than Columbus or KC, but with potential to be much better. With a strong ownership, a controlled venue, and of course $$$ for expansion fee, why not?
    You are crazy, we don't have a 4th market worth any while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only other options I could see for Canadian teams would be Ottawa or another in the GTA (possibly Hamilton) that would represent Ontario moreso than Toronto. I do believe Ottawa could support a team, just not out in Kanata where Melnyk wants the new stadium. And as far as I know, the ownership group in Ottawa is still interested in a franchise, but everything there is very conditional at the moment.

Personally, I would love to see 4 Canadian clubs in MLS, but only if they are able to thrive.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 11-29-2009 at 05:28 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably not true, what benefit would that confer on MLS?

However, that being said, the Impact have a side that's at least as good as most MLS expansion sides, they could compete right away. A scrappy, dirty team, but one that can grind out wins.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa is the obvious answer but I think Calgary or Edmonton would be a better choice. You know, even out the distribution to two western and two eastern teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I do believe Ottawa could support a team, just not out in Kanata where Melnyk wants the new stadium. And as far as I know, the ownership group in Ottawa is still interested in a franchise, but everything there is very conditional at the moment..

there's a report being put before Ottawa council today in which on option is to the baseball stadium on coventry rd into a soccer stadium

http://communities.canada.com/ottawa...a-stadium.aspx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottawa is the obvious answer but I think Calgary or Edmonton would be a better choice. You know, even out the distribution to two western and two eastern teams.

That would certainly increase TV ratings in Canada.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don Garber was in Montreal today to discuss MLS expansion plans with Impact president Joey Saputo.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of the two, I'd say Calgary would be the best option. Personally, I'd still prefer Ottawa as the 4th Canadian team, but a Vancouver-Calgary rivalry would be kinda cool as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont think we are going to see anymore canadian teams after Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Probably not, but it is fun to dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    .... and that's where, with any luck, the new NASL can be of benefit to Canadian soccer.

I just hope Edmonton can make it work this time.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Yeh, that makes sense.

The rest of the Canadian teams can be in the NASL and still compete against each other in the Nutralite Canadian Championship Thingymabober.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed with the both of you, id really like to see alot of canadian teams in the USL (and i hope very much so they are well supported financially and by fans)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLS was home to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver while the NASL was home to Edmonton, Ottawa, and Quebec City the NCC would be absolutely massive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLS was home to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver while the NASL was home to Edmonton, Ottawa, and Quebec City the NCC would be absolutely massive.
    Don't think Quebec City is getting involved but Hamilton certainly has a decent chance of getting a USL franchise (or a NASL franchise I suppose). That would be awesome.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Don't think Quebec City is getting involved.
    I remember seeing that Saputo would keep a franchise in the USL/NASL once they moved to MLS kind of like what Vancouver wants to do with Edmonton. It may not be QC but that was the city that Sap brought up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    I remember seeing that Saputo would keep a franchise in the USL/NASL once they moved to MLS kind of like what Vancouver wants to do with Edmonton. It may not be QC but that was the city that Sap brought up.
    I agree, once Montreal moves up I could see Quebec City getting a team.

I just don't see how "farm teams" could compete in the NCC considering they would basically be going up against the club they support. It just doesn't make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if any of this might affect the CSL. That's the league that Montreal's current farm team plays in. I wonder if some of the clubs there now might be interested in moving up a tier.