Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daner90 View Post
    I wonder how this will effect the CMNT playing at BMO in the future....hopefully with a world class pitch installedm they will starting using BMO as their true home.

I'd love to see the CMNT play its first international game on the new grass vs USA A little friendly BMO send off to the WC2010 is what the yanks need ..

We need more games with the yanks....and mexico...if we want to compete in concacaf along with more home games in this country...its time showcase the mens CMNTin this country and get them playing home games in this country is the way to do this..!

USA vs CANADA...MAY BMO FIELD?? would be a great start!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO = the Canadian Wembley?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post

Now that is what I am talking about....it works for England......
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's definitely merit in that idea, especially if the north stand goes up. where else can compete when you factor in pitch quality, crowd capacity and fan fervour?

plus if footie is really going to grow in Canada then the national team is a key element of that. and they'll need a fortress type home with fervent support. and it would be great for all of us to be rewarded with easy access to CMNT games for producing such a kick ass atmosphere around TFC.

ladies and gentlemen, I give you BMO Field... it's even RED for crying out loud!

Although isn't there some issue with the CMNT and sponsorhsip and use of names and stuff?
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    Although isn't there some issue with the CMNT and sponsorhsip and use of names and stuff?
    I don't think that is an issue.......During the U20 WC it was called the National Soccer Stadium and not BMO field. Ad boards and what not can be easily covered and new boards brought in specifically for National Team events.......that is probably a small issue.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love grass.

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    It's common knowledge MLS has rules on how to spend transfer money revenue.
    It must be used on the club and cannot be simply pocketed by the owner.

Exaclty, you people are so stupid....even my mother knew that!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more like:

Wembley= the English BMO

Another summer of hope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chant for next year

WE GOT 99 Problems but our Pitch aint one

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ This Is Our Grass!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    ^ This Is Our Grass!!
    I swear its not mine. I am only holding it for a friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ageroo View Post
    I don't think that is an issue.......During the U20 WC it was called the National Soccer Stadium and not BMO field. Ad boards and what not can be easily covered and new boards brought in specifically for National Team events.......that is probably a small issue.
    That was because BMO and Carlsberg aren't FIFA sponsors.

BMO is a sponsor of the CSA, and I don't think they care who the beer sponsor of the stadium is.

During national team games, the stadium was still called BMO Field, and none of the signs were covered up. Even during World Cup Qualifying it was called BMO Field.

The only issue is during FIFA championships, which won't be happening again at the stadium for a long time, if ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except we'll never allow NFL games at BMO....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ haha right on!

BMO Field is our temple, and the new grass will be the altar. Philly will be the inaugural sacrifical lambs. Philly cheese lamb kebabs all round please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Better yet - you point out what's factually incorrect about it.

- Scott
    I'm not even sure what you two are arguing about.

Boban's right, because technically no business spends money unless it thinks it has to. It would be foolish to assume that neither the fans' concern — based on very real player considerations like signings and injury — did not influence that decision.

Scott's right because a) it is good for us; b) we don't know the division of the Edu money, so even if it is $3.3M, a good chunk of that could come from capital budgets or capital reserves.

Ultimately pointless, as none of us were in the room when the decisions were made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what does it cost to manage grass per year? I assume this an additional yearly expense to somebody, right? Is it to the entity defined as the stadium, or to TFC?
    I figure they'll have to hire somebody full time as groundskeeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    what does it cost to manage grass per year? I assume this an additional yearly expense to somebody, right? Is it to the entity defined as the stadium, or to TFC?
    I figure they'll have to hire somebody full time as groundskeeper.
    Given that TFC foots the bill either way, I'm not sure it matters. Sure it's a civic facility, but TFC runs it. City just gets 50% of the profits, as far as I can figure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm not even sure what you two are arguing about.

Boban's right, because technically no business spends money unless it thinks it has to. It would be foolish to assume that neither the fans' concern — based on very real player considerations like signings and injury — did not influence that decision.

Scott's right because a) it is good for us; b) we don't know the division of the Edu money, so even if it is $3.3M, a good chunk of that could come from capital budgets or capital reserves.

Ultimately pointless, as none of us were in the room when the decisions were made.
    There was no argument over those facts - simply his dismissive "you go with that", as though anything I said was actually incorrect. Which is why I asked him to point out what I said that was actually wrong.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of the $3.3 million from the Edu deal, $500k was allowed as an allocation for players. So that only leaves $2.8 million, under MLS rules.

It was mentioned at the time of the Edu deal that some of the money was going to be spent on the academy, so we can assume that was the case. So MLSE certainly spent some of their own money on the grass, especially if you count that the cost was really over $5 million, when you count taking out the old FieldTurf, moving the bubble, and building another rec pitch for the city of Toronto.

MLSE didn't have to spend that kind of money, but they did. They could have put in a much cheaper grass solution, and still made the fans happy while still bringing in big clubs for friendlies. It's good to see them putting some money back into making TFC a success.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-13-2009 at 08:22 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you Tech Geeks

I think the system being installed will be the SUBAIR SYSTEM, company out of the Carolinas. They put the system in at Chicago, Colorado, Salt Lake and some other NFL AND MLB parks. They also just put the system in At the sweet New York Red Bull Stadium. They also installed the pich at Fuhlum FC.

From the way the MLSE rep talked about the how the system would work and teams that have it, well, these are the guys who installed it!!

Went to the website very, very high tech stuff, not cheap. MLSE certainly have not cheaped out on this one.

Hope they have constant updates (pictures) of the installation for fans and us tech geeks alike!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oldtimer is 100% correct. Face it, MLSE could have used the Edu money to sugn DeGuzman, and stop there. The grass decision cost them real money.

It also cost MLSE something that we can't assess, real political capital. By getting this done, there will be something else they want that involves the City that they now can't get done.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-13-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Of the $3.3 million from the Edu deal, $500k was allowed as an allocation for players. So that only leaves $2.8 million, under MLS rules.

It was mentioned at the time of the Edu deal that some of the money was going to be spent on the academy, so we can assume that was the case. So MLSE certainly spent some of their own money on the grass, especially if you count that the cost was really over $5 million, when you count taking out the old FieldTurf, moving the bubble, and building another rec pitch for the city of Toronto.

MLSE didn't have to spend that kind of money, but they did. They could have put in a much cheaper grass solution, and still made the fans happy while still bringing in big clubs for friendlies. It's good to see them putting some money back into making TFC a success.
    Agree 100%. Sure, a chunk of the Edu money is being used to pay for the various projects that are combining to bring us grass. But MLSe are left with a substantial addition to make (at least a couple of million, if not more) from their own capital to make this happen. They didn't have to do this, or at least not to the extent that they are doing it.

So come on guys, kudos where it is dude. We don't want to be the kid that whines all year about wanting about wanting a PSP and then still complains when getting a PS3 for Xmas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteeltownBhoy View Post
    For you Tech Geeks

I think the system being installed will be the SUBAIR SYSTEM, company out of the Carolinas. They put the system in at Chicago, Colorado, Salt Lake and some other NFL AND MLB parks. They also just put the system in At the sweet New York Red Bull Stadium. They also installed the pich at Fuhlum FC.

From the way the MLSE rep talked about the how the system would work and teams that have it, well, these are the guys who installed it!!

Went to the website very, very high tech stuff, not cheap. MLSE certainly have not cheaped out on this one.

Hope they have constant updates (pictures) of the installation for fans and us tech geeks alike!!
    thanks for the note. I just looked it up.. interesting.

did you see Rio Tinto stadium had a monster truck rally on their grass field??? holy shit

http://www.subairsystems.com/SubAirS...TruckRally.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    thanks for the note. I just looked it up.. interesting.

did you see Rio Tinto stadium had a monster truck rally on their grass field??? holy shit

http://www.subairsystems.com/SubAirS...TruckRally.htm
    I saw that LOL. Can you imagine the reaction out of some of us here(myself included) if BMO dumped tons of dirt over our Virgin grass and let "Crusher" do figue 8's all over it. I think some would go postal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also see that their website lists the Redbull arena as belonging to the NJ redbulls and not NY redbulls
    Last edited by deltox; 11-13-2009 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

From what I've ready, the Leafs have decent ice. They are ranked among the top 5 in the NHL. So it would only make sense that TFC follow suite with proper grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think one of the mods could start up "it's as exciting as watching grass grow" catch all thread to follow updates and developements as this progresses over the next few weeks.???? (I try)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kudo's a dude? I did not know that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    From what I've ready, the Leafs have decent ice. They are ranked among the top 5 in the NHL. So it would only make sense that TFC follow suite with proper grass.
    You can fault MLSE for all kinds of things, but they invest in top-notch facilities for their teams.

Problems that can be solved by throwing money at them, are actually the issues MLSE handles pretty well. It's the intangibles they've stumbled on - though as I've mentioned before, they appear to be getting better at this aspect, with their Leafs and Raps hirings.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That subair system is great with the undersoil heating. Mexico played a friendly against Bolivia at Dick's Park in Colorado in early March and the grass was already a pristine rich green and in summer condition.