Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    Has anyone else noticed the massive media hypocrisy surrounding this? Remember Dave Perkins' relentless campaign against the construction of BMO Field. Now the Hamilton Ti-Cats are getting a free stadium and he doesn't have any problem with that. He even wrote a piece in the Star today about how all these facilities are exactly what the province needs even though most of them will sit empty afterwards. He even managed to take a shot at MLSE. Then there's Bobo McClown who isn't saying boo about the Ti-Cats getting a free stadium with government money.

Free Stadium. Ha! That's what MLSE got, they gave the 10 million to construction and now 5 millionish for Grass and it's now ONLY a stadium for TFC, some International games, and lacrosse. It's no longer a public facility. And I won't beable to rent it talk about a free stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Free Stadium. Ha! That's what MLSE got, they gave the 10 million to construction and now 5 millionish for Grass and it's now ONLY a stadium for TFC, some International games, and lacrosse. It's no longer a public facility. And I won't beable to rent it talk about a free stadium.
    They gave $8M for construction.
    And the $5M for grass conversion is mostly paid by the $3.5M from the Edu transfer in 2008.

But you shouldn't be able to rent in the first place anyway.
    That whole thing from the outset was retarded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet you this thread is the most attention/discussion the Pan-am games will have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Love the hate in this thread lol...

I do think that as a Toronto fronted bid, the money and facilities should stay in the GTA. Hamilton as part of the GTA is a bit of a joke. Golden Horseshoe corridor yes, GTA no.

If a stadium is built in Hamilton I do believe there are other considerations and forces at work (which is probably par for the course).

I think a new stadium should be built on the Mississauga/Brampton border to keep everyone happy (Sorry new Brampton/Milton).

I hope BMO is expanded as part of the games.

BTW - Varsity should never have been replaced by that sorry track and field stadium that is there now.
    Last edited by billyfly; 11-07-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    I bet you this thread is the most attention/discussion the Pan-am games will have.
    I bet you it doesn't.
    Come back in 5.5 years and you will see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post

I do think that as a Toronto fronted bid, the money and facilities should stay in the GTA. Hamilton as part of the GTA is a bit of a joke. Golden Horseshoe corridor yes, GTA no.

If a stadium is built in Hamilton I do believe there are other considerations and forces at work (which is probably par for the course).
    It's Toronto fronted in name only. The mother organizations like awarding to cities, not countries or regions. A perfect example is Vancouver 2010.
    Early on it was called the Vancouver-Whistler bid. The IOC came back to them and said pick one. Still doesn't change the fact the games are in reality spread all over the whole GVA and southern BC.

I think a new stadium should be built on the Mississauga/Brampton border to keep everyone happy (Sorry new Brampton/Milton).
    I am all for Brampton having a little 3,000 seater, but please don't tell me it is more needed there than in a city twice its size.

It will be.
    Perfect opportunity MLSE will seize on to get expansion done and pay minimal for it.

BTW - Varsity should never have been replaced by that story track and field stadium that is there now.
    Varsity will be expanded for these games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    i hate stadiums....with open ends!

WHy cant we build stadiums right in this country
    In this case, it's because it is going to be a CFL stadium and for CFL football, not too many people will choose a seat behind the dead ball line when they can be sitting between the two goal lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why? Do you think that Canada competing in both the men's and women's Pan-Am soccer tournaments isn't going to be a very big topic of discussion around here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am all for Brampton having a little 3,000 seater, but please don't tell me it is more needed there than in a city twice its size.[/quote]

I would take Mississauga over Brampton any day. I was just trying to keep Brampton happy by putting it on the border.

Varsity will be expanded for these games.[/quote]

I hated seeing the historic Varsity Stadium replaced with what is there now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW - Varsity should never have been replaced by that sorry track and field stadium that is there now.
    Considering that the province and the feds have committed much more money to this project than has the city, the games being spread around a little bit is only logical. It's not like the city is paying for the whole event.

The games are in 2015. Let's hope that BMO is expanded long before then.

Regarding the stadium in Hamilton, as the Ti-Cats need a new home and inevitably it would have involved funding from various levels of government, this plan makes perfect sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am all for Brampton having a little 3,000 seater, but please don't tell me it is more needed there than in a city twice its size.
    I would take Mississauga over Brampton any day. I was just trying to keep Brampton happy by putting it on the border.

Varsity will be expanded for these games.[/quote]

I hated seeing the historic Varsity Stadium replaced with what is there now.[/quote]

Most of us did I believe but at the same time, something needed to be done with the old place. The facility they have is getting very good use and did you really want to try and park your car in that neighbourhood?

Sure the subway would have been a big bonus and I'd have loved it because I'd have been able to walk there from work but it is a facility that in regards to professional soccer ... well, it's time had passed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a huge issue with the proposed Hamilton stadium. I know that its regions that get games not Cities.

But as a pro-Torontonian I am "greedy" and want as much $$$ as I can get for an under-funded city that by all accounts is the engine of this province.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The inside story about Varsity was a pro-track and field guy at UofT complained so much about the first soccer field plan (where the Argos where going to play).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope they don't drop a stadium in between Btown and Mississauga. It needs to be closer to the city centre or somewhere with better sustainability.

Either way, its all a little irrelevant right now. Something like that probably won't be happening anytime in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hated seeing the historic Varsity Stadium replaced with what is there now.
    I am Croatian. You have no ideas the memories I have of that stadium.
    I hate it too, but a change was needed there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it needed work but they could have kept the facade etc and built a new real stadium (without the urinal troughs lol..)

Of course if that had happened the chain of events that led to TFC might not have ever been born.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This is the rendering of the Burlington stadium by the way:

Does look pretty sweet for a stadium of that size ... the stands have roof for heaven's sakes!!!
    Ya I don't like that too much. Leaves the ends open.
    If building for 12,000 then why not build something like this staium being done as we speak in Croatia. It's 10,000. Add a couple of rows around the whole thing and you have 12,000. Brings you right on top of the action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I am saying is that these games are a farce, the short bus version of games, the games no serious city goes after. Winnipeg people is the only other city that has hosted this joke of a meaningless, useless, made up sports event. I dont give a rat's ass what the Canada soccer team will do in 2015, because my attention and focus will be on whether they qualified for the 2014 WC...so dont fool yourself that this is anything that anyone will care about other than the contractors salivating to milk the taxpayers for everything they got.

And I dont understand why people are hating on Brampton who is clearly part of the GTA. Whether you choose to live there or not, is your choice but what does that have to do with getting no piece of this boondoggle.

Cmon, we all know why Hamilton got this. People in Hamilton think they are the second city in the Horseshoe, when realitstically Hamilton is the armpit of Ontario and I would take any suburb in the GTA over Hamilton. But of course the liberals want back into Hamilton...and there is this romantic vision of what Hamilton can become. New flash, it aint becoming anything other than a few exit signs on the way to Niagara falls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think wzhxvy's ex lives in Hamilton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think wzhxvy's ex lives in Hamilton.
    LOL...good one. I spent two years of my life working downtown...two years I will never get back. Outside of the hospital and the university, there are zero redeeming features..well other than the nice flames when driving over the burlington bridge spewing toxic waste in the air...I speed a little bit when driving through that area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rio de Jenairo was the last city to host the Pan Am Games ... you know Rio? ... the city that was just awarded the Olympics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rio de Jenairo was the last city to host the Pan Am Games ... you know Rio? ... the city that was just awarded the Olympics?
    I think it may have to do with little event they are hosting in 2014 too called the Word Cup...you know the World Cup ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh and one more thing Dirk Diggler buddy, Rio got the games this year because the Americans thought they could send a popular President to swing the vote but didnt realize that if there is anyone else in the world who has a more inflated view of self worth than them it was the corrupt IOC officials who like deals behind closed doors vs. the public PR campaign that the Americans created.
    Last edited by wzhxvy; 11-07-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it may have to do with little event they are hosting in 2014 too called the Word Cup...you know the World Cup ?
    My point was that it is too arrogant to think that the Pan Am games are too lowly for us ... it was not too lowly for a city that is going to be hosting the World Cup and the Olympics in the recent future. Torontonians need to get their heads out of the clouds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point was that it is too arrogant to think that the Pan Am games are too lowly for us ... it was not too lowly for a city that is going to be hosting the World Cup and the Olympics in the recent future. Torontonians need to get their heads out of the clouds.
    Ok fair enough we agree to disagree. I think it is too lowly for us. I think we need to start building infrastructure in Toronto that is worthy of a city like ours including expanding the subway, building that imaginery link to the airport that I keep hearing about, building some sports infrastructure in areas that make sense, and not for political/misconstrued economic development purposes.

And I do see your point, a part of me agrees with your point, that it is a step. And instead of shooting for the stars first, we are now taking a more gradual approach. But everytime I think that, I ask myself then why the %$^# is Hamilton a part of this ? You think an Olympic bid will be sold through exciting videos of the Hamilton skyline...no...so its just a waste of money.
    Last edited by wzhxvy; 11-07-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    They gave $8M for construction.
    And the $5M for grass conversion is mostly paid by the $3.5M from the Edu transfer in 2008.

But you shouldn't be able to rent in the first place anyway.
    That whole thing from the outset was retarded.
    and demanded the naming rights in return........which they sold to Bank of Montreal for more than $8 million. So in reality, they paid nothing for construction, and actually profited from the deal. Pretty slick/weasel-like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read elsewhere that the stadium in Brampton's permanent capacity will be much lower the 10K, more 3K.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    It's included in the list of venues as a site for Football.
    BMO is aso the venue for Rugby sevens.
    Another summer of hope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have Hershey Centre and you have Powerade ... why do you guys need another arena and stadium more than us again?
    My argument is if Mississauga gets one, then Brampton should get a stadium as well. What makes Mississauga more deserving than Brampton?

I'm not sure where this cricket stuff is coming from but Malton is pretty much like Brampton ... if you think that Malton is shit, you can't have a good opinion about Brampton either.
    Cricket comment was made because if Brampton gets a stadium, cricket (brampton cricket league) will be one of main tenants using stadium and also having our national cricket team playing in Brampton once in a while wouldn't be a bad idea.

How exactly Malton and Brampton the same? Have you ever been to Brampton and Malton before?

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post

Half of 700,000 is 500,000?
    Last edited by TFC07; 11-07-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And my point is that if Mississauga gets one, it does not automatically mean that Brampton needs to get one as well. I don't see two stadiums being built in the west end anytime soon (although two arenas were built so something like that can happen again) and I certainly hope that when one is build, they don't decide to place it in between Brampton and Mississauga. It needs to be located closer to the city centre and since Mississauga is a much bigger city, Mississauga city centre makes much more sense.