Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    So how much is the great City of Hamilton contributing to this stadium ?
    I don't know ... but I bet the City of Toronto isn't just forking over cash to Hamilton so they can complete the stadium. All the municipalities are contributing their share.

Also, the most expensive part of the games is going to be the athletes village ... which is being built in Toronto. If you don't care much for non-stadium related developments than I guess you would feel ripped off but overall, that is quite a significant development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will be 4 venues for football, as per the bid book, BMO is the main stadium and ther will be three others... Ron Joyce Stadium Hamilton, Sherwood Park Burlington, and Varsity Stadium. Here is the page from the Bid Book. www.toronto2015.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    Hamilton is GTA, its just no one from Toronto knows it exists. In the grand scheme of things Hamilton is still one of the top 10 largest cities in Canada so I wouldn't just call it some "small community". Not to mention the surrounding municipalities.
    No, it's not!

Anyway, BMO field going to expand now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The City of Hamilton, Regional Municipality of Niagara and City of Guelph all have significant ties to Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area. They are not geographically distant enough to be considered separate from the GTA, officially or otherwise. In some cases the provincial government already includes Hamilton and Niagara as part of the GTA for record keeping purposes as well as for transportation planning.
    - from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Toronto_Area

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post
    Anybody see the renderings for the football complex they'll be opening in Burlington? It looks pretty sweet and has a 12,000 seat stadium.
    This is the rendering of the Burlington stadium by the way:

Does look pretty sweet for a stadium of that size ... the stands have roof for heaven's sakes!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Someone is going to complain that the ends are open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bars92 View Post
    The City of Hamilton, Regional Municipality of Niagara and City of Guelph all have significant ties to Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area. They are not geographically distant enough to be considered separate from the GTA, officially or otherwise. In some cases the provincial government already includes Hamilton and Niagara as part of the GTA for record keeping purposes as well as for transportation planning.
    - from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Toronto_Area
    I am sure you were to ask people if Hamilton is part of GTA or not, most will say no.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just checked out the video for the bid: pretty slick.
    http://www.thestar.com/videozone/722143

Obviously includes BMO stadium, maybe with TFC fans in the overhead shots? Note, no gridiron lines on the overhead shot, but lines all over the place on the closeups, plus plastic pitch. And #3 apparently a striker?

Anyway, looking forward to any improvements that BMO may get out of this. Plus I'm happy if some Toronto/GTA transit projects & waterfront projects are finished quicker as a result.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keyman View Post
    Maybe the waterfront will finally get some much needed TLC!
    Great news for the Waterfront. The athletes village will be constructed in the West Don Lands, and as there is already a plan in place for the building envelopes, street layouts, parks, transit and public spaces, they'll build it to the needs of a real neighbourhood. A lot of the affordable housing required will be able to be constructed

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dynam...=442c3d68acd91

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not super familiar with the bid or the relevant geography, but building stadiums in both Hamilton and Burlington seems insane. Aren't they like 20 mins. apart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Henderson had a good take on this in the SUN. Frequently the plans in the bid book are changed over the comming years. Calgary for example, only used 1 site from the proposed bid book. Hamilton is putting 40 million (i think) towards the stadium and another 8 million towards the Velledrome.

Yes downtown Hamilton is hurting. But this is seen as a major component of the new revitalization plan. Hamilton is changeing, the biggesting employers are the University and the Hospitals. High paying, high tech , jobs. Not the steelmills. (I may change my avatar).

By the way I have an 800 ft condo in Downtown Hamiltion, I've seen identical units advertised in Toronto for 350,000. 125,000 here.

The Go service from Hamilton to Toronto is great and the new rapid transit plan is going to make Hamilton an attractive alternative in the future.

So stop the hate on Hamilton!!!

Plus.....we don't have have the ARGOS!!!!!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree...I want my/our piece of all these boondoggles...what upset me was that even when the boondoggle has Toronto's name all over it...Toronto cant even manage to get all the boondoggle money...
    Stop acting like Toronto is getting nothing out of this and go read the bid book.

Besides all the centre's that are going to be built, the Athletes village that is going to be built will probably bring in the city millions upon millions of dollars after the games. And go looking around to see what "Toronto" actually needs in terms what the other cities are getting.

You're upset the Hamilton is getting a new stadium. Does Toronto need a new stadium? We have 6, with another 5,000 seat one planned for field hockey.

So 6 stadiums with capacity over 3,000.

UofT is getting the new swimming and aquatic centre, as well as the new TTC plan is going going to be fast tracked out to UTSC.

Please tell me of what other centre's are getting could Toronto use?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is ridiculous. Front pages saying we're not losers anymore because we got an event few recognize and and fewer watch. I'm glad this event won't be entirely in Toronto and spread elsewhere.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like this one has turned into a quazi-political debate.

Not so sure about the pan-am games, but with the olympics (and it's huge cost) there is a ton of evidence out there suggesting it isn't even close to worth it (this includes all the spinoff benefits one might expect).

For a city our size we probably have the worst subway line in north america, and our briliant plan is to waste money on low density street cars that are un-reliable in winter. On top of that, there is no shortage of pet projects like spending $100 M dollars on a stupid hotel around the ex which nobody will go to ... but it doesn't matter because the developers make money off building it.

Pan-am games has at least some hope of leaving a functional and worth while legacy ... let's hope it actually does. Because the amount of money being wasted by all levels of government lately makes me want to puke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I'm not super familiar with the bid or the relevant geography, but building stadiums in both Hamilton and Burlington seems insane. Aren't they like 20 mins. apart?
    Yeah they are literally 10 mins apart, but I think the proposed site is on the border of the two, down by the the lake. That area is quite smogy though. Hamilton Roughnecks here we come (USL) !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will only support the Hammer's stadium if they lose the annoying one-way streets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW - the usl team will have to be known as the "hammers" and have the same coloures as West Ham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Stop acting like Toronto is getting nothing out of this and go read the bid book.

Besides all the centre's that are going to be built, the Athletes village that is going to be built will probably bring in the city millions upon millions of dollars after the games. And go looking around to see what "Toronto" actually needs in terms what the other cities are getting.

You're upset the Hamilton is getting a new stadium. Does Toronto need a new stadium? We have 6, with another 5,000 seat one planned for field hockey.

So 6 stadiums with capacity over 3,000.

UofT is getting the new swimming and aquatic centre, as well as the new TTC plan is going going to be fast tracked out to UTSC.

Please tell me of what other centre's are getting could Toronto use?

Read the bid book ? Thanks for the tip, you read it and believe it obviously. There is an email in your inbox from Nigeria, send that guy $200 bucks while you are it. If you think anyone believes the propaganda they put in a non-binding marketing brochure then think again.

A few people made great points earlier. I agree the athlete's village is a good project, one that would have cost half as much if done privately mind you, but given we all know its a boondogle, might as well overpay for stuff that can be re-used.

And please, dont try to make Hamilton as some sort of up and coming metropolis...please people. Outside of the hospital and university, its a sad state of affairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the bid book ? Thanks for the tip, you read it and believe it obviously. There is an email in your inbox from Nigeria, send that guy $200 bucks while you are it. If you think anyone believes the propaganda they put in a non-binding marketing brochure then think again.

A few people made great points earlier. I agree the athlete's village is a good project, one that would have cost half as much if done privately mind you, but given we all know its a boondogle, might as well overpay for stuff that can be re-used.

And please, dont try to make Hamilton as some sort of up and coming metropolis...please people. Outside of the hospital and university, its a sad state of affairs.
    Do you really think there is a public-private seperation in this province? Do you not think those "private" forces are the ones really behind this? It's too bad our elected officials are such loyal employees of those private, but it's nothing new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no private company is gonna build affordable housing all by itself on the portlands. come on!
    and in this economic environment, it's often hard to get even private housing projects funded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    I will only support the Hammer's stadium if they lose the annoying one-way streets.
    Dude, that's the best part about Hamilton. You can fly down King or Main and not hit any red lights because they are timed. It's brilliant.

I don't know why people hate Hamilton. Yes, it's a bit of dump, but the people from Hamilton are good peeps.........they don't shower often, but they are good peeps.

I'm glad these games are being spread around the GTA. It shares the burden and the enjoyment throughout multiple communities.

With Brazil, Argentina, Canada........should be some good footy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why did Mississauga get screwed out of this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder what green facilities will be built

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Although Judo and Taekwondo are to be at Hershey, and Roller Sports are to be at Iceland.
    But yeah, we get no new facility.
    I find it unbelievable a city of 3/4 million has not even one stadium of at least 3,000-3,500, let alone two.

Those new Hershey Centre soccer fields built 2 years are a total flop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i wonder what green facilities will be built
    Depending on how much green paint they buy, they all could be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    LOL yeah ... we did get screwed a bit didnt we ... I wish that Burlington stadium would have went somewhere in Mississauga ... maybe at the UTM campus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess Hazel's son wasn't on the committee???

but it would have been nice to have that Burlington stadium in Mississauga. Mississauga could use a nice one.

UTM doesn't really have the space tho.. 2 more buildings are going up right now basically filling in all the major empty spaces. Maybe the south side could have one, but it'd be tight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    LOL yeah ... we did get screwed a bit didnt we ... I wish that Burlington stadium would have went somewhere in Mississauga ... maybe at the UTM campus?
    I agree, although it for sure would be filled with pointy ball lines in that location.

An aside, they was talk a couple years ago of a bigger stadium in that location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an ugly looking stadium to be built in Hamilton. I know it will be a stadium for the Ticats mainly,however, why do we keep building these ugly looking stadiums here in Canada. Have a look at some of these new stadium being built in Europe and how much more appealing they are. Why the open ends, why not enclose the whole stadium, have seats right around the stadium. Do we not have any people with any creativity here in Canada when it comes to stadiums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Depending on how much green paint they buy, they all could be
    i meant enviromentaly friendly