Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody see the renderings for the football complex they'll be opening in Burlington? It looks pretty sweet and has a 12,000 seat stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another opportunity for contractors, corrupt politicians, and has been politicians to get more of our taxpayer money. Pan Am games...us and Winterpeg...great. Only positive is the infrastructure they leave behind but then they go and build something in the waste of space called Hamilton. Build one in Downsview or in Woodbine that could be an NFL stadium or something...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    Another opportunity for contractors, corrupt politicians, and has been politicians to get more of our taxpayer money. Pan Am games...us and Winterpeg...great. Only positive is the infrastructure they leave behind but then they go and build something in the waste of space called Hamilton. Build one in Downsview or in Woodbine that could be an NFL stadium or something...
    Any Pan-am games stadium that would be built would be way too big for this event. Ideally an NFL sized stadium could be built for the Olympics
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton will actually use the stadium for the Ti-Cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
    Any Pan-am games stadium that would be built would be way too big for this event. Ideally an NFL sized stadium could be built for the Olympics
    I mean its Toronto 2015...so build infrastructure in Toronto. I know we are being screwed without being kissed here...but at least put the infrastructure in a place where it counts. Its not GTA 2015..ffs Hamilton is not even GTA are they ???

The organizers sold this by saying we always overshot by going after the Olympics so this is a stepping stone to show we can hold these type of events at a smaller scale...ok great...but then lets build stuff that we can use for the next bid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, but they could always build a nice 30,000 or so now and then only you need to add a second or 3rd deck for the Olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post
    Anybody see the renderings for the football complex they'll be opening in Burlington? It looks pretty sweet and has a 12,000 seat stadium.
    Do you have access to some pics?
    I can't find any.
    Care to post here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean its Toronto 2015...so build infrastructure in Toronto. I know we are being screwed without being kissed here...but at least put the infrastructure in a place where it counts. Its not GTA 2015..ffs Hamilton is not even GTA are they ???

The organizers sold this by saying we always overshot by going after the Olympics so this is a stepping stone to show we can hold these type of events at a smaller scale...ok great...but then lets build stuff that we can use for the next bid.
    It will be.
    Sport infrastructure in the WHOLE of S. Ontario belt is falling apart.
    If one day we do get the Olympics, the Hamilton stadium will be used for football matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Hamilton will actually use the stadium for the Ti-Cats.
    To me that is a waste of money. A stadium in Milton, Whitby/Oshawa would be a better return...anywhere in the GTA would be better actually...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be.
    Sport infrastructure in the WHOLE of S. Ontario belt is falling apart.
    If one day we do get the Olympics, the Hamilton stadium will be used for football matches.
    If we get the Olympics, it will be a national embarassment to have anything in Hamilton. Out of all the places, we want the world to see Hamilton...really ? To walk around in that mall downtown...to see the sights down the main strip.... I would not subject my worst enemy to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wzhxvy you have to be some seriously ignorant person with those narrow minded and vision lacking statements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wzhxvy you have to be some seriously ignorant person with those narrow minded and vision lacking statements.
    Thanks for the insult. However the facts are the facts. We invest money because of sentimentality or political reasons (Hamilton has been a liberal stronghold for many years with NDP gaining ground)...but the fact of the matter, is that Hamilton is no better deserving than Oshawa. Its not in the GTA and its a waste of my tax payer money.

If someone came to visit me from outside of Canada, I would be embarassed to show them Hamilton. You dont like that statement, too bad. Its a fact, its a dump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

part of the reason this bid was spread around (and not just about Toronto) is political. McGuinty can't really sell a bid if the benefits go just to toronto.. the rest of Canada hates toronto enough already.
    i don't think this bid would have happened in the first place if it was just toronto. spreading things around means toronto at least gets some of the benefit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isnt David Peterson running this ? Enough said people...bunch of liberal operatives rewarding their buddies or hotly contested ridings, and oh btw, I voted liberal the last several elections, but to sit here and be happy about a stadium in Hamilton...no freaking way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we get the Olympics, it will be a national embarassment to have anything in Hamilton. Out of all the places, we want the world to see Hamilton...really ? To walk around in that mall downtown...to see the sights down the main strip.... I would not subject my worst enemy to that.
    I dont think its the end of the world to have small-scale events there. Look at London, their Olympic stadium is in the East part of the city, and a huge focal point. The big World Cup stadium in South Africa is going up in Soweto, home of some of the worst places in the country.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think its the end of the world to have small-scale events there. Look at London, their Olympic stadium is in the East part of the city, and a huge focal point. The big World Cup stadium in South Africa is going up in Soweto, home of some of the worst places in the country.
    I agree its not the end of the world...it just irritates me that Hamilton is getting it vs other locations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grass surface??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    Grass surface??
    the hamilton stadium would have to be, I think... they need the centre surface to be grass for the various javelin/discus events. but then it'll probably get ripped up and converted to field turf for the ticats. but that's just a guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me that is a waste of money. A stadium in Milton, Whitby/Oshawa would be a better return...anywhere in the GTA would be better actually...
    Actually the stadium in Hamilton will probably provide the best return out of any new facilities being built for the Pan Am Games. No other facility will be able to host two permanent professional sports teams as their tenants (the Ti-Cats and the new USL team). I don't know why you're so opposed to it but your complaints seem ridiculous. No need to bring politics into this. A stadium of that size within the GTA would be absolutely useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isnt David Peterson running this ? Enough said people...bunch of liberal operatives rewarding their buddies or hotly contested ridings, and oh btw, I voted liberal the last several elections, but to sit here and be happy about a stadium in Hamilton...no freaking way.
    You don't have to be happy about it ... the province and the feds are ponying up the majority of the money ... its not as if the games will be funded by the city of Toronto.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this "The Centre of the Universe" attitude

This is why the rest of the country hates Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting upset by it is a waste of time cause everybody will do it. the exact same thing is happening federally with the Economic Action Plan.

look on the bright side, at least its the Golden Horsehoe getting something out of this boondoggle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

waterfton transit/lrt will be fixed/created.

there will be soccer games at bmo, karate and handball in the ricoh, and bmx and/or beach volleyball courts built on the ex grounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Actually the stadium in Hamilton will probably provide the best return out of any new facilities being built for the Pan Am Games. No other facility will be able to host two permanent professional sports teams as their tenants (the Ti-Cats and the new USL team). I don't know why you're so opposed to it but your complaints seem ridiculous. No need to bring politics into this. A stadium of that size within the GTA would be absolutely useless.
    So you think politics has nothing to do with this or you dont want me to bring politics because its so blatantly obvious what is going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    You don't have to be happy about it ... the province and the feds are ponying up the majority of the money ... its not as if the games will be funded by the city of Toronto.
    So how much is the great City of Hamilton contributing to this stadium ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    I love this "The Centre of the Universe" attitude

This is why the rest of the country hates Toronto.
    No its the entitlement attitude you should love by smaller communities with small and declining tax bases that think they are "owed".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    getting upset by it is a waste of time cause everybody will do it. the exact same thing is happening federally with the Economic Action Plan.

look on the bright side, at least its the Golden Horsehoe getting something out of this boondoggle.
    I agree...I want my/our piece of all these boondoggles...what upset me was that even when the boondoggle has Toronto's name all over it...Toronto cant even manage to get all the boondoggle money...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

p.s

im not a big fan of hamilton, but its the next up and coming city. And can become a nice city if some attention is given to it.

as the prices of homes becomes out of reach in the gta, hamilton and its new transit plan is the next go to city. this is also a result of Burlington-Mississauga stealing business from Toronto.

so what use to be the middle (toronto) is now the burlington - mississauga area. Thus, Hamilton is now closer to a majority of businesses. (especially with the new GO train and transit plans)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No its the entitlement attitude you should love by smaller communities with small and declining tax bases that think they are "owed".
    Hamilton is GTA, its just no one from Toronto knows it exists. In the grand scheme of things Hamilton is still one of the top 10 largest cities in Canada so I wouldn't just call it some "small community". Not to mention the surrounding municipalities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you think politics has nothing to do with this or you dont want me to bring politics because its so blatantly obvious what is going on.
    What is so blatantly obvious? We're supposed to believe that there is some very obvious political reason why the federal conservatives and the provincial liberals are ponying up money for the NDP Hamilton?