Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer the earlier question, he basically said he never got his confidence back after his injury, and felt Carver gave up on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Why oh why does every single "gringo" up here call Chivas "shivas"???

Carlos Machado from Fox does the same thing. Ben and Ben were saying it wrong constantly.

Guys...everyone who is reading this....it's CHEE-Vas...the team isn't named after the drink!!!

Please stop it!
    Pretty sure I say it CHEE-vas. I probably don't nail it because I'm awful at accents, but I've never said Shivas. That I know. CHEE-vis, I slip into every so often.

And it's GHER-ba, right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by It's Called Football View Post
    Jeff Cunningham joins us to talk about his turnaround season, his time in Toronto and relationship with former TFC head coach John Carver and addresses the Reading rumours.

Dino Rossi from the Soccer Academy Alliance Canada also calls in to discuss the CSA response to the FIFA mandate on academies and what he expects to happen in the months ahead.

MLS playoffs, the Whitecaps kicking off in MLS in a temporary stadium and what TFC's next move should be - all in this week's show.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/blog/post/358341

Are you listening to us daily? Why not?

Installing temporary grandstands, concessions and washrooms....at the old Empire site...?

They should have a replica of BMO field when its all done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothin like grinding salt into a wound eh?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy This is the mispronunciation that bugs me the most

Ali Gerba (pronounced ZHER-ba)

No one - and I mean no one seems to get this right. Wait - actually I heard one television announcer get it right once.
    Last edited by DOMIN8R; 11-03-2009 at 06:30 AM.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why oh why does every single "gringo" up here call Chivas "shivas"???

Carlos Machado from Fox does the same thing. Ben and Ben were saying it wrong constantly.

Guys...everyone who is reading this....it's CHEE-Vas...the team isn't named after the drink!!!

Please stop it!
    Now imagine if their team was sponsored by the drink...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff Cunningham is good. We should sign him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SweetOwnGoal View Post
    Pretty sure I say it CHEE-vas. I probably don't nail it because I'm awful at accents, but I've never said Shivas. That I know. CHEE-vis, I slip into every so often.

And it's GHER-ba, right
    Yeah, I did notice you didn't say it like the other two. You say it rather quickly so I can't pick it up, but at the very least I know you don't say it with the soft "shhhh"...

As for Ali...I think he's used to it. I asked him once, he just shrugged his shoulders. He knows people say his name wrong...at the very least we should at least attempt get it right. How annoying would it be if people called you Duane "role-ins".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I did notice you didn't say it like the other two. You say it rather quickly so I can't pick it up, but at the very least I know you don't say it with the soft "shhhh"...

As for Ali...I think he's used to it. I asked him once, he just shrugged his shoulders. He knows people say his name wrong...at the very least we should at least attempt get it right. How annoying would it be if people called you Duane "role-ins".

Actually, and going way of topic now, people DO pronounce my name wrong all the time! Or, at least they pronounce it with a mid-American accent.

ROLL-ins, not RAWL-ins.

I, too, just shrug my shoulders nowadays though. Hell, I sometimes say it that way just to make it easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ossington: you can download non-itunes versions here:

http://thatradio.podhoster.com/index.php?sid=1765

And there is usually a link to it from the Metro site. I forgot to post it this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's spelled Raymond Luxury Yacht but pronounced "Throat-Warbler Mangrove."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice show. You guys get great guests on. Cunningham seemed to blame all his problems on Carver not sticking with him to give him confidence. The problem is though, look at Chad Barrett. He got the benefit of the doubt for almost the entire season but he never really found his stride. As a coach it must be difficult to just keep sticking with a striker that just isn't scoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think Cunningham can't handle the pressure of playing infront of 20k loud fans who will let you know when you fuck up.

Imagine how carefree soccer is in Dallas... the stands are empty.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THATS BS. It has to be our STYLE of PLAY!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It annoys me how mentally frail some soccer players can be, compared to other sports.

The idea that he basically sucked in his time here, because he "felt like Carver gave up on him", makes me see red. Get over it, whiner. This is a professional sports team, not a support group.

I thought the same thing last year, when I read all of the jabbering about how Chelsea "weren't playing for Scolari", and basically threw part of the season to get him removed. Get over yourselves, you prima donna, egotistical, mentally weak little whiners. You get paid a lot of money to do a job.

The bottom line is that Cunningham had chances, and didn't pot them when they presented themselves. Our system of play had nothing to do with him lazily botching that goal line sitter in the Montreal game, that basically cost us the CCL berth two seasons ago. That was 100% lazy, sulking, unprofessional assbag.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    It annoys me how mentally frail some soccer players can be, compared to other sports.

The idea that he basically sucked in his time here, because he "felt like Carver gave up on him", makes me see red. Get over it, whiner. This is a professional sports team, not a support group.

I thought the same thing last year, when I read all of the jabbering about how Chelsea "weren't playing for Scolari", and basically threw part of the season to get him removed. Get over yourselves, you prima donna, egotistical, mentally weak little whiners. You get paid a lot of money to do a job.

The bottom line is that Cunningham had chances, and didn't pot them when they presented themselves. Our system of play had nothing to do with him lazily botching that goal line sitter in the Montreal game, that basically cost us the CCL berth two seasons ago. That was 100% lazy, sulking, unprofessional assbag.

- Scott
    Actually, Chelsea's poor start last year was due to Scolari's tactics and team selections.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    Actually, Chelsea's poor start last year was due to Scolari's tactics and team selections.
    I distinctly recall reading quotes from guys like the ever-temperamental Didier Drogba, that the team had given up on him.

And I also recall the Footy Show guys eviscerating them on their podcast for basically the same reason I mentioned.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 11-04-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Now imagine if their team was sponsored by the drink...
    Nah... Bimbo is still #1.

They should sponsor a team from 1 of the Scandinavian countries. Then give out a bunch of kits to women fans. lol