Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prediction: TFC not on the Score next year.

I called the Pat Phelan trade a week ahead of time, so I will use my minimal karma to predict that TFC games won't be picked up by the Score next year. They don't get any of the home games that seem to draw a bit better, and the ratings are so awful that I can't see that it's worth their time. I think we'll be shelling out for MLSLive if we want to see all the TFC games next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or CBC can stream those matches live on their website.

EDIT: How come TFC gets shitty ratings on the road while their home games tend to have good ratings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

EDIT: How come TFC gets shitty ratings on the road while their home games tend to have good ratings?
    not everyone has the score.

true.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see how I can disagree with your prediction. For everyone involved, it's probably not working out on that front. Too bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    not everyone has the score.

true.
    Good point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post

It's strange, but I find that the public hype surrounding TFC doesn't pick up at the season opener, but rather at the home opener. Sometimes I even wonder whether casual fans are aware that TFC plays on the road!

London: "Football is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that." B. Shankly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    I called the Pat Phelan trade a week ahead of time, so I will use my minimal karma to predict that TFC games won't be picked up by the Score next year. They don't get any of the home games that seem to draw a bit better, and the ratings are so awful that I can't see that it's worth their time. I think we'll be shelling out for MLSLive if we want to see all the TFC games next year.
    TFC/MLS/RedPatchBoys should BAN THE F-ING "SCORE" from covering any future game this season (never mind next). All they do is run some cheesy-ill-informed-yank-feed that sucks indonesion-moose-badger-spunk. "The Score" is a sorry excuse for a "broadcast network" especially when it comes to TFC. So fuck-em. The sooner the better. Their ratings are so shite because their so shite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many games aired on the Score has Toronto FC actually won?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    It's strange, but I find that the public hype surrounding TFC doesn't pick up at the season opener, but rather at the home opener. Sometimes I even wonder whether casual fans are aware that TFC plays on the road!
    Or maybe REAL fans are too smart to watch a god awful product. I have no problem watching home games, whether live in attendance or on CBC. I also watch plenty of football besides the ones going on in the summer months. However, it's painful to watch ANY road games across the border. I can barely make it to half. Here are my reasons to why American Feeds and their teams are unwatchable:

• It's not American Gladiators - I don't care to know the players on a personal level. I don't care what so and so's favorite movie is or his rough childhood. I don't care for 90 minutes of useless facts. I don't need to know every players height, weight, and wingspan. Stop throwing numbers at me the entire game. Assists isn't something to mention multiple times during a match. I don't need women broadcasters on the field to tell me "The players are hot and trying to cool down, back to you". I also don't need "Beckham and Donovan watch". I don't care what their doing when we aren't even playing the Galaxy.

• Did The Ultimare Warrior just slam Rick Rude? - When the counter attack breaks out, I don't want to hear 9,000 screaming little girls or little boys who still sound like little girls.

• Atmosphere/Stadiums - I'm not falling for your camera tricks. Just because you shove all the fans on the side which the camera is facing, doesn't mean i'm stupid. I can see that empty bowl up there and those tarps covering the sides. I don't even know why teams are playing on NFL fields WITH the lines. It shouldn't be allowed period. You can't "act" atmosphere. Everywhere else across the States, the chants are so forced and fake. Especially when the SAME 3 word chant goes for 10 minutes STRAIGHT. You're coming off as trying way too hard. Also, ban the airhorn.

• Closed captioning is brought to you by Jimmy Dean Sausages - Banner ads for DICKS Sporting goods and Dish Network taking up a whole corner of my tv are balls. It's even worse when you zoom out the camera so you can fit these things in, hoping i wont notice the players now look like bread crumbs. When they aren't going on forever about useless facts, you're announce team is whoring itself out like Billy Mays for OrangeGlo.
    Last edited by Nestease; 06-11-2008 at 01:43 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure the score lays out almost $0 for their games (okay maybe $1,000 to the US network for their feed), so they may continue to pick up games -- at least unless Ultimate Poker conflicts with it.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shit. a crap feed is better than no game.

I am happy that at least the score carries the away games. If other networks are going to pass, at least we fans have something.

Everyone is down on last sundays game, but personally i think more of it had to do with the actual game and TFC's play being so horri-awful.

I'm thankful for the score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad the score picks up the games. Better than nothing and their's always the mute button. lol
    But what I don't get is why the score cant use their own play by play guys? Especially during home games?! Correct me if I"m wrong but aren't they in Toronto anyways!? That's inexcusable IMO.
    Now for away games, it would be nice, but well... maybe they can use the Spanish feed?
    Golazzo!!! hee hee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    Or maybe REAL fans are too smart to watch a god awful product. I have no problem watching home games, whether live in attendance or on CBC. I also watch plenty of football besides the ones going on in the summer months. However, it's painful to watch ANY road games across the border. I can barely make it to half. Here are my reasons to why American Feeds and their teams are unwatchable:

• It's not American Gladiators - I don't care to know the players on a personal level. I don't care what so and so's favorite movie is or his rough childhood. I don't care for 90 minutes of useless facts. I don't need to know every players height, weight, and wingspan. Stop throwing numbers at me the entire game. Assists isn't something to mention multiple times during a match. I don't need women broadcasters on the field to tell me "The players are hot and trying to cool down, back to you". I also don't need "Beckham and Donovan watch". I don't care what their doing when we aren't even playing the Galaxy.

• Did The Ultimare Warrior just slam Rick Rude? - When the counter attack breaks out, I don't want to hear 9,000 screaming little girls or little boys who still sound like little girls.

• Atmosphere/Stadiums - I'm not falling for your camera tricks. Just because you shove all the fans on the side which the camera is facing, doesn't mean i'm stupid. I can see that empty bowl up there and those tarps covering the sides. I don't even know why teams are playing on NFL fields WITH the lines. It shouldn't be allowed period. You can't "act" atmosphere. Everywhere else across the States, the chants are so forced and fake. Especially when the SAME 3 word chant goes for 10 minutes STRAIGHT. You're coming off as trying way too hard. Also, ban the airhorn.

• Closed captioning is brought to you by Jimmy Dean Sausages - Banner ads for DICKS Sporting goods and Dish Network taking up a whole corner of my tv are balls. It's even worse when you zoom out the camera so you can fit these things in, hoping i wont notice the players now look like bread crumbs. When they aren't going on forever about useless facts, you're announce team is whoring itself out like Billy Mays for OrangeGlo.
    pretty much agree 100%.

oh and last game we got the privledge of having that "Mambo Seafood Restaurant" image in the top right corner all game.

doesnt that scream amature?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    First of all who gives a fuck if they are on the score.

Secondly, If the score doesn't carry the game waht will they replce it with

1) Dog shows
    2) skateboarding
    3) Dart chmpionships from england
    4) Poker
    5) Cabbie unlimited re runs?????????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post

I am happy that at least the score carries the away games. If other networks are going to pass, at least we fans have something.

Everyone is down on last sundays game, but personally i think more of it had to do with the actual game and TFC's play being so horri-awful.

I'm with you, at least I can watch this on the tv, I don't have to try to watch it on the computer screen.

I may not like the American commentators but it's still better than not seeing the match at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post

This is kind of the way we look at it. Once we get all the games we can produced by a local crew, we work hard to get the remaining games at least on the air...but I agree watching the houston broadcast was more than painful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as the atmosphere goes, thats the main difference between the CFL and NFL. 80,000 fans vs 30,000. I can see where people are coming from. The Houston game had shitty production values so it's tough to watch for the non-hardcore (fairweather, casual, weekend, ect) fan.

Would better production values and a full stadium make the on field product any better? NO. Would it get more people watching? Probably.

The NFL lines on the field go back to production values. The product we as a viewer see. If I'm bubba or skeeter from down south, am I going to take a league seriously if I see these things? Definitely not. But if I tune in, see a full stadium in say Columbus, high definition feeds, and two teams in a great game, I can look past the Dicks sporting good ads and the Mambo Seafood donations.

In short, better production = better ratings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could always watch it on p2p or channelsurfing.org

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The score is a back up station. If Rogers is serious about broadcasting the game they should move other crap around. This game loses people every time there is a delayed broadcast as well. It hurts a growing sport more than the taped crap they usually have on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ill be pissed if i have to resort to garbage mlslive to watch away games next year.
    Score's feed isnt the greatest but as mentioned, ill take it over nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    TFC/MLS/RedPatchBoys should BAN THE F-ING "SCORE" from covering any future game this season (never mind next). All they do is run some cheesy-ill-informed-yank-feed that sucks indonesion-moose-badger-spunk. "The Score" is a sorry excuse for a "broadcast network" especially when it comes to TFC. So fuck-em. The sooner the better. Their ratings are so shite because their so shite!
    This sounds like something James Sharman would read on the Footy Show podcast when they read the hate mail

TO DEVILS

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    This is kind of the way we look at it. Once we get all the games we can produced by a local crew, we work hard to get the remaining games at least on the air...but I agree watching the houston broadcast was more than painful.
    I had 10 people in my house to watch the game...after 10 minutes we switched from The Score to MLS Direct Kicks.

MLS Direct Kicks had no comentators since they had some tech issues, so all you got was the sounds of the game...better than those two jabbronies that The Score had on. I know is not the Score's fault...but american feeds for the most part suck, unless you get ESPN or FSN doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stugautz View Post
    As far as the atmosphere goes, thats the main difference between the CFL and NFL. 80,000 fans vs 30,000.
    You've obviously never been to Taylor Field!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    That statement was brought to you by Mambo Seafood! Mambo Seafood will be donating $100 for every goal scored this year.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjongstra View Post
    That statement was brought to you by Mambo Seafood! Mambo Seafood will be donating $100 for every goal scored this year.
    The AT&T 'Call to the Bench'...that was my personal favourite.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone think we get better numbers for the home matches because we play better and win unlike away from home where we suck so bad it is hard to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ No.

It's just that TFC is a casual view for most TV watchers in Canada. The 20,000 the score gets are the die-hard supporter base, not casual viewers. Casual viewers don't watch the score for anything: it's seen as a sports update channel becuase of the way it approached the market, not a viewership channel.

In fact, I'd venture to say the only people who actually know what's on teh score at any given moment are wrestling fans.

On top of that, it's usually buried somewhere high on the cable dial, and it's somewhat lost on satellite amidst fourversions each of TSN and sportsnet, fox sports, Gol etc.

It's just a poorly viewed channel except for die-hards, and there are more wrestling die-hards right now in Canada than TFC die hards. Simple equation. I can't see any harm in them doing it, except that it gives some programming executive at the Score an excuse to blame soccer for their crappy ratings.

Let's keep in mind the other two channels usually get at least four times that viewership and there was at least one weekend in 07 when they beat the jays. So if people know it's there, they'll watch it.

One last point: NONE of the stations promote TFC games. You can turn onto Sportsnet and get a "Jays vs.____" promo every eight seconds, but you never see promos for soccer. Ditto with the mother corp.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giambac View Post
    First of all who gives a fuck if they are on the score.

Secondly, If the score doesn't carry the game waht will they replce it with

1) Dog shows
    2) skateboarding
    3) Dart chmpionships from england
    4) Poker
    5) Cabbie unlimited re runs?????????
    Better the Score than not televised at all. And like others pointed out, the feed is probably cheap. Like giambac says, it's not like they've got a stellar line-up to fall back on.

(Side issue, can the CRTC please suspend the license of any 'sports' network that broadcasts more than 4 hours of poker a week? Sport, my ass. Show some euchre while you're at it.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

One last point: NONE of the stations promote TFC games. You can turn onto Sportsnet and get a "Jays vs.____" promo every eight seconds, but you never see promos for soccer. Ditto with the mother corp.
    This is the thing that pisses me off about sportsnet, since rogers own the jays, and they own the t.v. station, its a cash cow no matter how many people watch, plus they get free add space... man i hate rogers.

But as good as the business model is, this is my biggest fear for tfc is that we end up w/ some tfc tv channel hidden high up the dial (and outa my price range). If the score is seen as annoying, leafs tv by far takes the cake on useless channels. As awful as it was to watch the american feed... i'm still counting my blessings, that i can get the match w/o shelling out more cash, and the mute button on my remote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anybody notice that the camera was 'diverted' from all the on field confrontations, and the commentators refused to clue us in as to what was happening on the pitch.

Could somebody tell me all about those three (at least) shoving and potential fight incidents, what caused them and who was involved.

It's pathetic that the americans would censor this, it's not fucking hockey.