View Poll Results: Would Toronto FC be better off without Johnston as GM?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Mo needs to go for the good of the club

130 67.71%
  • No - Toronto FC still needs him as GM

62 32.29%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Elephant in the Room - Mo Johnston

Over the last 48 hours, we've been inundated with a lot of info coming from the locker room and front office at Toronto FC. Myself, I keep seeing the point being raised about Mo Johnston's tenure and the recent news of locker room discontent toward our General Manager.

So let's have at it. Let's just get an idea on what people here are really thinking. Mo Johnston: Should he stay or should he go?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stay.
    c'mon you Reds!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Go...

But all those huffing and puffing for him to go... you're out of shit luck because he SIGNED AN EXTENSION.

MUFC_Niagara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You were quick, Jay P. I didn't even get the poll finished!
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with this argument is that it deals with an unavoidable situation.
    Mo is here for another year; guaranteed.
    Assuming we make the playoffs next year... he will almost certainly be here for 2011 as well.

So, perhaps the discussion needs to focus more on "what can be done to solve these issues while Mo is in charge?"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep Mo strictly for the MLS drafts and trades with other teams, but get a real coach who doesn't answer to him.

As long as the coach is under the 'director of soccer', there will be conflicts.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    Not sure if we can now that the poll is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Go...

But all those huffing and puffing for him to go... you're out of shit luck because he SIGNED AN EXTENSION.
    It's just a completely hypothetical poll. Let's just assume we have access to a time machine.

MUFC_Niagara

i vote stay....he was promised a minimum of 5 years, he deserves to at least get the 5.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    You were quick, Jay P. I didn't even get the poll finished!
    LOL as i finished my post i got an email from TFC i mean mo johnston.

and yes, he said 5 years, so I'll reserve judgement till 2011.

wow i hit the yes button too on the poll... its time to head home from work me thinks.
    c'mon you Reds!

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I vote no.
    Because I believe everything he says!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    The problem with this argument is that it deals with an unavoidable situation.
    Mo is here for another year; guaranteed.
    Assuming we make the playoffs next year... he will almost certainly be here for 2011 as well.

So, perhaps the discussion needs to focus more on "what can be done to solve these issues while Mo is in charge?"

That might be constructive - so it would certainly be out of place here .

Right now he should clean up his own mess.

The thing about a corporate structure like MLSE is that it's built on buck-passing. No one at the top is ultimately responsible - so we're relying on someone in the middle, some middle-manager, to get something done.

If this mess doesn't get cleaned up by the people who made it, then the buck will simply get passed to the next guy willing to work for MLSE. They'll hire someone who says all the right things at their interview. That likely won't be an experienced, successful 'name' manager with any other choices.

Look how long it took then to find someone to run their hockey team - something which could almost be called a glamour job - and is he really the first choice? (of course, look how much they're paying him)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo must Go! Mo must Go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

put the Monster in net!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are we letting MoJo vote multiple times?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with parkdale. Keep Mo for trades/drafts/aquisitions.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    keep Mo strictly for the MLS drafts and trades with other teams, but get a real coach who doesn't answer to him.
    I think this would be my preferred option too. Mo's a monster at making trades that work in our favour and understanding all the nuances of MLS, plus he does a lot of homework on the draft which enables him to make good decisions there.

But we need a rock solid coach that takes no shit from anyone, management or players, to then lead us forward on the pitch. He identifies where we need players, and individuals if he knows them, Mo brings them in through trades and drafting. TFC wins trophies galore!
    Last edited by Hitcho; 10-27-2009 at 03:55 PM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sir Alex Ferguson managed Manchester United with no success for 3 years. Then after almost getting the axe in 1990 they won the FA cup. He had been building a team all that time, establishing a culture of winning. The next few years were pretty successful by my count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post

As long as the coach is under the 'director of soccer', there will be conflicts.
    Do you really believe he is the best drafter or trader in the league? Do you not think that someone else could have picked Mo Edu #1 and Sam Cronin #2?

For every trade he made, I can point to others that suck and handcuff the team. trading for Dero (good)....trading for Garcia (horrid). trading for Wynne (not graet but not horrible)...trading away Dunivant (stupid misjudgement).

Sorry, Mo Must Go. He doesn't do anything that someone else couldn't do. Why do people feel the management talent pool in MLS is so unbelievably thin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what about the issues where Mo seems to be making promises to staff that he can't keep? How are we going to stop that and change the culture if he is still around?

Mo has some positives but how do we shield the rest of the team from this shifty persona he has?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nialando View Post
    Sir Alex Ferguson managed Manchester United with no success for 3 years. Then after almost getting the axe in 1990 they won the FA cup. He had been building a team all that time, establishing a culture of winning. The next few years were pretty successful by my count.
    are you really trying to draw parallels between Mo and Sir Alex?

My memory aint the best but I do vaguely remember relatively successful spells at Aberdeen, St Mirren and he even coached Scotland before taking over at Man U.

What on earth does Mo have on his non-playing resume that would permit anyone to even fathom comparing these two men?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are still buying into that 5 year bullshit? Show me one other employer on this planet that has a 5 year probationary period before any worthwhile review?

I voted no. I gave him the benefit of the doubt up until that New York game. He's had MORE than enough time to show us what he can do and the display has been dismal.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you vote stay post your reason why. This should be a good laugh

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nialando View Post
    You will remember he had success at Aberdeen before he arrived at Man United...earning him the credibility he needed to develop what he wanted over 3+ years. So far, we haven't seen any signs that going beyond 3 years will find us in any better position. For every Sir Alex, there are tons of no-name directors that stayed far longer than they should have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
    But what about the issues where Mo seems to be making promises to staff that he can't keep? How are we going to stop that and change the culture if he is still around?

Mo has some positives but how do we shield the rest of the team from this shifty persona he has?

Come on, the players all have agents - is there anyone more shifty than a sports agent?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Along Beach Red's line of thinking, if Mo is here for awhile longer, we've got to work with it.

Riddle me this... what if Mo became the Coach (again) and Director? Sort of like Lou Lamoriello when he stepped behind the Devils bench years ago.

I'm not necessarily recommending it as the record as coach wasn't exactly stellar. At the same time, this is a team he built with ideas as to how they could play together. Rather than try to bully a coach into adopting his ideas, let him run with it.

Some suggest that some of our egos need a hard as nails coach. Well, a coach that has the power to bench you AND buy out your contract is pretty powerful.

In that sense, we don't look to fill Cummins' role, we look to provide Mo with an assistant... someone who could take over IF he ends up hanging himself with another playoff miss next year.

If the guy is going to overstep his coaching

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted No. I will also be responding to his email.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My email back:

I appreciate the time that your PR/CoMM department took to write this email, however, it does not come close to address the serious issues that exist within the TFC organization. Mo Johnstone should be held accountable for the performance of the club and the complete and utter disorganization within the team and constant press leaks. As a loyal fan and season ticket holder, it was embarassing to listen to and watch the press conference today. I hope MLSE leadership share that embarassment and will take immediate action to rectify the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I've said in other threads Mo has earned the reputation of being a slippery character. The question is whether that is good or bad trait for a MLS manager? Is Mo a 'snake' who's character is poisoning the locker-room and causing feeiling distrust towards the club amongst the staff and players? Or is 'trader Mo' a cunning manipulator that can talk other managers into one-sided trades that help the club? Either way he's kinda slippery - if we're winning its good thing if we're losing its a bad thing. If you look at the coverage of the team over the past few years you'll see that the media flip-flops their portrayal of him depending on recent events. Its their job to stir things up. Bill Belicheck is shady character... he cuts players after they've been injured, spies on other teams practices, and probably cheats the NFL salary cap with back room deals to load his roster... but he wins so nobody in Boston is hating on him. Being a good person is not alwasy an advantage in job like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Riddle me this... what if Mo became the Coach (again) and Director? Sort of like Lou Lamoriello when he stepped behind the Devils bench years ago.

Maybe better to go in the other direction. MLSE is full of suits, that's not going to change and they need one to be the "Director of Soccer," might as well be Mo.

The new guy is completely in charge of the team, coach-GM.

Is that more like Jim Rutherford, going from player to front office guy?