Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You better hope so. Otherwise that could be an expensive mistake a la Denilson.

I think he can do it. He does it for the Canadian team.

The key is can he and DeRo get along?

I can't put my finger on it but there seems to be some tension there that I'm sure is related to money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    The thing is - if you have a coach who is dictating who to draft, and what players to sign, aren't they doing all of the work anyway? Under that scenario, the GM is just a glorified accountant and head negotiator.

They could have someone negotiating contracts and keeping tabs on the cap, without needing a general manager, no?

- Scott
    He doesn't necessarily need to tell the GM what exact players to draft, sign or trade for. He could just tell him that he needs a central defender and a striker under any circumstance. The GM, in turn, could find out what players that fit that bill can be had and run that list by the coach.

And yeah, I guess what we need IS a glorified accountant and head negotiator. He needs to be there in order to negotiate contracts and trades, keep an eye on foreign players, manage the scouting department etc ... without dictating the manager on what he wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    ^^
    I don't have faith in JDG playing a more attacking role...
    I share that skepticism as well ... but alas, it doesn't seem practical to allocate such a ridiculously large chunk of our cap on 3 players (Deguzman, Derosario and Guevera) ... thus the reason why someone needs to be made redundant in order to plug other holes on the pitch. It seems that Deguz and Derosario are here for the long haul so Guevera seems like the logical contract to come off the books for various reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero needs to get over himself on the money issue. He wasnt making DP money in Houston and he wasnt going to get it anywhere else. As a matter of fact, he got the most money he will get anywhere from TFC.

I have no issue if he tries to get more money in the off season, in private, but to let that affect his play or keep whining about it in public...then that crosses a line in my view.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps it's time we stopped this little project of ours. We are not little Britain. We are not Canada FC. We should certainly not be the Toronto Maple Leafs of this league. I love being Canadian just as much as the next Torontonian, but it's time we became an MLS team. Give us the Mexican centerback. Call in the American winger and striker. Give a good blend of American and Canadian talent. And lastly, give us an American coach who knows this league. I know it's selling our Canadian soul, but we need these kind of people in our organizations. Canadian sports is soft in comparison to Americans. Right now, I wish we had Brian McBride.....

Sometimes it's good to think Canadian...but, the Canadian national team is no where near the US one. Bring in the Americans. Bring in the Mexicans. Give us an MLS team, not a Canadian one...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    ^^
    I don't have faith in JDG playing a more attacking role...
    I know his track-record doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but his skill-set should. Julian reads the game extremely well, has fantastic ball skills as well as pace, is an adequate distributor and has a good shot. He has all the attributes of an attacking midfielder, but he just hasn't been used in the role throughout his career because, well, there were other players who were superior to him up front. Julian would finally be given the opportunity to make things happen, instead of being marginalized in the holding position.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    You better hope so. Otherwise that could be an expensive mistake a la Denilson.

I think he can do it. He does it for the Canadian team.

The key is can he and DeRo get along?

I can't put my finger on it but there seems to be some tension there that I'm sure is related to money.
    This may sound absurd, because it probably is, but....why don't we play De Rosario as our striker?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought part of the reason is because he doesn't want to be a striker. I mean, didn't Houston want him to be a striker as well and he said no?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FACT - Sam Cronin is a good player and has the potential to be a solid player in the MLS. However, Mo Johnston knew full well when he drafted him that he was a central player (this is where he performed so well for Wake Forest) yet still took him ahead of a defender (the team's biggest need). I actually feel sorry for Cronin. He was a victim of a terribly constructed roster and was forced to play out of position for the ENTIRE season.
    THANK YOU JACK

NOW IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHOS SAYING IT

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I thought part of the reason is because he doesn't want to be a striker. I mean, didn't Houston want him to be a striker as well and he said no?
    That's interesting, I've never heard that before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack's entitled to his opinion the same way we all are and while I don't disagree with much or any of what he said ...

... this is all it is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have to agree with Flush...Amado is an asset to this team right now. yes he did have his off games, but honestly, I would blame the lack of a consistant formation for his inconsistancy.

The man has a passion to play here. It showed when he arrived at 11pm and still wanted to play the next day. he knew his team was in a playoff push and he want to be there to help. if the team needs more character players, then getting rid of him may not be a good idea.

yes he makes a shit load of cash, but perhaps he takes a paycut next season, play him off the bench?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To attack Amado (likely the guy least responsible for our failures this season) you’re stretching it a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ has pretty much nailed it there. Lots of opinions and he has the balls to call it like it is/seems to be at least.
    Add that to Ben's piece and you have 2 passionate and respected opinion-formers pulling no punches about the rotten state of play at BMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I have to agree with Flush...Amado is an asset to this team right now. yes he did have his off games, but honestly, I would blame the lack of a consistant formation for his inconsistancy.

The man has a passion to play here. It showed when he arrived at 11pm and still wanted to play the next day. he knew his team was in a playoff push and he want to be there to help. if the team needs more character players, then getting rid of him may not be a good idea.

yes he makes a shit load of cash, but perhaps he takes a paycut next season, play him off the bench?
    Do you see him both a) taking a paycut, and b) playing off the bench for us next season?

I mean, if he does, then great. But he won't.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To say that Amado has played when he wanted to and put national team duty way above his club duty is not attacking him...its a fact. I get the feeling that some of you are taking the comments and interpreting them as more than a commentary on him as a football player. I could personally care less where he is from but as I mentioned he played when he wanted to...took it easy when he needed to (with supposed injuries) and paced himself as he pleased (plays a so so game with us - floating/resting - and then plays with Honduras and is a maniacal, obessed, driven 100% energy player all game)....

At the end of the day, he will be 1 year older next year, has other priorities, and will likely be as inconsistent next year if not more. The fact that he decided he wanted to come back here after the WCQ means little in my eyes. From his perspective his job was done with Honduras and now he wanted to contribute for TFC...great he is a professional and wanted to help TFC when his job was done for Honduras...but that does not negate all his crappy/non existent performances for good parts of the year...lets not let the fact that he was the best of a shitty lot on Saturday cloud our judgement.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very true...proven by evidence. His production levels fell off substantially after June after a rabid start. Like you said, this is not an attack on Guevara but rather an analysis of what we can likely receive from him next year. Taking up over 10% of the salary cap requires this kind of investigation.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not that I don't love Amado as a player cuz I do. He's been my fave over the past 2 seasons.

But for the sake of bringing balance to our squad, coupled with the fact that Amado has his heart set on WC2010 and will be a year older next year, we just can't keep him. Our midfield already has 2 creative players in DeRo and DeGuz.

$300k can be used on a good defender and or a quality striker.
    Last edited by Damien; 10-26-2009 at 08:22 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    It's not that I don't love Amado as a player cuz I do. He's been my fave over the past 2 seasons.

But for the sake of bringing balance to our squad, coupled with the fact that Amado has his heart set on WC2010 and will be a year older next year, we just can't keep him. Our midfield already has 2 creative players in DeRo and DeGuz.

$300k can be used on a good defender and or a quality striker.
    Dump Vitti instead.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Kristian Jack mentioned, he is now a First Wave Sports client...which means as long as Mo is in charge, we're going to have Barry Maclean's clients all over our team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    As Kristian Jack mentioned, he is now a First Wave Sports client...which means as long as Mo is in charge, we're going to have Barry Maclean's clients all over our team.
    It is sad that we have to accept that fact and move on while clearly realizing that the money owed to Vitti can be used on a better player(s).

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    And kudos to KJ for continually banging on about the agent goings on because its something that imo needs scrutiny.
    As for Guevara, no doubt he's a great MLS player but his priority this year has been WC2010 not to say he's been completely disinterested or anything because he hasn't but he's for sure been protecting himself. I can only see the same in March, April and May next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh?

Guevara may need to leave TFC, he was tripping over DeRo and JDG, but even if he played the same position as Robbo, which he doesn't, it's damn silly to rate Carl Robinson over Amado Guevara.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Huh?

Guevara may need to leave TFC, he was tripping over DeRo and JDG, but even if he played the same position as Robbo, which he doesn't, it's damn silly to rate Carl Robinson over Amado Guevara.

I agree. IF (and that's a big if, lol) Guevara has to leave, it's solely due to the fact that he and JDG seemed to be tripping over one another when they were both on the field. Obviously, if we have to choose between JDG and Amado...

Those of you suggesting that Amado should leave cause of his WC committments and because he "disappears"....I totally disagree. Amado came back from a qualifier once this year, did not expect to play, Robbo got hurt in warm up, and Guevara stepped in and played a great game. Yet, he has no heart and doesn't want to be here?

Here's the sad truth around these parts: If Amado Guevara spoke english well enough to write a blog, or send twitters, or write a column gushing about how great the supporters are...a whole bunch of people would have a much different opinion of him. As far as footballers go, he's been one of, if not the best one, consistently, for TFC....imo.

In fact, he may be in the running for POTY (although DeRo would win it) instead of people talking about how much he needs to go.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FACT - There needs to some serious repercussions following Saturday's humiliating performance in New York.
    Agreed. I can't think of anyone on the boards, here or, well - ANYWHERE, that would disagree.
    FACT - This cannot start and end with the coach.
    No, I say we start with the coach.
    FACT - Chris Cummins was leaving this club before Saturday's debacle, practically sticking the proverbial two fingers up at the club on his way out, so the club, and management, cannot just allow his departure to be the sole reason for them to change direction.
    I think most people believed Cummins wouldn't be back for next season, but I would balk at the idea that he would intentionally set us up for a fall in NY. Not that I'm saying you're implying that, though.
    FACT - There are major divisions inside that dressing room. They were there throughout the season and only now are we learning about them...
    No further details on this? I was always under the impression that some of the larger egos weren't getting on, but this sorta sounds more like a mutiny in the locker room than anything else.
    FACT - While we are on the subject of the captain, this needs to change. Just as people, rightly or wrongly, will hold Cummins accountable for the divisions in the locker room, the same has to be laid at the door of Jim Brennan...
    I won't lie to you. I think Jim needs to go too. I'm not sure if Dunny would have made that big a difference this year if he stayed on the roster, but let's consider the fact that not only is Brenna past his prime as on the pitch; but judging by the breakdown in the locker room, his leadership just wasn't enough to keep the team working on the same page.
    FACT - Ah wide players, there's a nice thought. It really is absolutely amazing that a team with ZERO wide players made it so close to making the MLS playoffs. Spare me with the Marvell Wynne answer also. Wynne is a right back, and nothing else, for a reason...
    But what about Wynne? Oh wait. Okay, nevermind.
    FACT - Sam Cronin is a good player and has the potential to be a solid player in the MLS. However, Mo Johnston knew full well when he drafted him that he was a central player (this is where he performed so well for Wake Forest) yet still took him ahead of a defender (the team's biggest need). I actually feel sorry for Cronin. He was a victim of a terribly constructed roster and was forced to play out of position for the ENTIRE season.
    I feel bad for Cronin as well. Though you have to admit that either in or out of his natural position, the guy did have some really good games this season...
    FACT - (I know I only have a short amount of time to base this on but...) Julian De Guzman is being used all wrong by this team. De Guzman is a great talent but on a team that doesn't control the ball well he needs to be more involved. During the talk of his impending arrival many words were written and spoken about how this signalled the end for midfielder Carl Robinson. However, I could never work that out and still can't...
    Good thing you mentioned that you didn't have a lot of time to base all that on. I knew that De Guzman was never going to have a major impact on the team this season. He needed time to adapt to the league and get adjusted with the flow of play here in MLS. I'm quite confident that once we start shifting the roster around in the off-season we'll see JDG and others fall into the slots they best fit in.
    FACT - For those reasons, De Guzman will desperately hoping Robinson returns to Toronto FC next season.
    I imagine most of us are hoping so as well.
    FACT - Amado Guevara has to go. I give Guevara a lot of credit for the way he has changed his game but his continued desire to drop deep, coupled with his 300K contract, means he needs to be moved on. He will also have two eyes firmly on South Africa in 2010.
    I kinda see what you mean, but I've also seen just what sort of threat he is - especially with set pieces. Ah yes. I remember a time before Amado showed up when I couldn't care less about a Toronto corner kick. That's all changed now thanks to him.
    FACT - Football is a simple game. Get good defenders and you will win more games than you lose. The fact that, after three years, this is still the biggest problem (and with the lack of goals, that's saying something) is nothing short of disgraceful. For the bulk of 2008 season, the combination of Marco Velez and Tyrone Marshall were repeatedly torn to shreds but anyone with a remote football brain knew that Marshall was the better player yet he wasn't given a chance to play next to a more accomplished defender. A year later and neither are here and the replacements have been no better...
    Again, once the dust settles after this season, I'm confident Serioux will be impressive in 2010. Gerba? Give him time as well. If he shapes up he'll be great for us. If not, well, I'm sure there's a team in central Scotland that might be interested...

FACT - Mo Johnston has made a reputation for himself of giving out laughable contracts. Garcia and Gerba aside, the money given to Pablo Vitti is nothing short of a miracle. What actually merited Vitti getting close to 300K in the first place? The fact that he was from Argentina and good on a video game? Vitti arrived in Toronto with a reputation of a goalscorer, despite having never scored goals anywhere he'd been. Johnston was remarkable passive when it came to Vitti. A man who never shy's away from cutting players should have known as soon as he saw Vitti have no desire to get in the box what he had signed yet stuck with him...
    I was never, ever, EVER convinced of Vitti's skill. It's odd, because when he's on the pitch you can almost see the wheels turning in that brain of his, but at the end of the day, he simply hasn't lived up to the investment the club made in him.
    FACT - Talking about bad contracts. Its now 15 months since Toronto FC acquired Chad Barrett from Chicago, where he scored 18 goals in 82 appearances. Apparently, two months into his tenure at BMO Field, Johnston saw enough to give him a four year deal close to 200K per year...
    From this day on, I never want to hear the words Chad Barrett and Toronto FC in the same sentence. Get him out of here! He should have been gone a long time ago.
    FACT - Dwayne De Rosario had a good season but not a great season. Sure, it was hard playing with some of the players he did but he absolutely disappeared down the stretch. In fact, he disappeared the moment he was no longer 'the man' when the DP arrived. I'm just saying.
    Hmmmmmm...Yeah. That's a fair point. Again, it's an ego thing and could be just indicative of the general unease going around in the locker room.
    FACT - The job of becoming Toronto FC's next coach is one that isn't that appealing right now. Unless, MLSE are willing to sign a big fat check to entice a big name, why else would anyone want the job? They clearly will not be in charge and will have to answer to Mo Johnston and coach Mo Johnston's players...
    And again, it should be mentioned that with no salary cap or restrictions on coaches and the fact that we're making almost as much as the Galaxy, MLSE has little excuse for hiring anyone but the best for this club.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guevara is on and off, not uncommon in this league. Considering he came to TO with a reputation as being completely insane, I think its worked pretty well. He is nowhere near the top of the list of problematic players.

MUFC_Niagara

Is this that blonde haired guy who's one of the analysts on the score?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick Garcia is one of the worst in the short history of this franchise. In fact, seeing that the rights to Ali Gerba were also involved in the deal, makes it THE worst deal in the history of the club. Mo Johnston may well have taken $450,000 in cash out of the MLSE bank account and set it on fire in the middle of BMO Field

LOL....too fucking true

MUFC_Niagara

Leo Rautins is an analyst that tried to be a coach....that tried to be a coach.....that's worked out well. LOL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serioux has not lived up to expectations. I have always felt he was a bit overated even before coming to TFC. He is a frustrating player, yes he has a good work rate,however, he makes too many mistakes and he makes critical mistakes that can cost you a goal. He has always been prone to making that one bone headed play ever since I can remember watching him play throughout his career. He can look great at times even dominating in his play in games and then the next minute make that one stupid play that can cost you a game, and this happened a few times with him this season. That last game versus New York you could almost argue that at least 3 of those goals came about because of Serioux , yes he works hard and gives you an honest effort, however, you also need to back that up with good decision making that I think alot of times he lacks. I'm sorry but I think he needs to go.