Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what sucks about MLS. it;s hard to have meaningful competition for places because of the roster restrictions and cap limit. So if someone like Serioux is being a dick in practice, he's going to get picked anyway because there's no real alternative. And he also knows he's Canadian so it's harder for TFC to trade him away if the coach gets pissed off. So he can just mooch along, do the bare minimum in practice to get by and that's that.

I don't know if this scenario is true or not, it's just a hypothesis based on jloome's inside info, but you can see how it would fit together.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Ultimately, Management sent the message that the health of the RM players was more important than their own guys.
    I dunno about that. The turf was down from BMO Field being built. And we know now that MLSE has been working since well before the RM game to bring grass to BMO Field. Putting temporary grass down was the only way to get RM to come and play here. And frankly I think a lot of the layers were probably thrileld to get that chance. It's not like they could have laid down permanent grass in the middle of the season.

I think a sequence of factors probably combined as the season wore on. Management meddling in team selection, players pissed off and demotivated as a result, dressing room splits and even a dressing room rat. But grass for RM being the catalyst for the team's demise? Just seems a bit of a stretch compared to other stuff.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I dunno about that. The turf was down from BMO Field being built. And we know now that MLSE has been working since well before the RM game to bring grass to BMO Field. Putting temporary grass down was the only way to get RM to come and play here. And frankly I think a lot of the layers were probably thrileld to get that chance. It's not like they could have laid down permanent grass in the middle of the season.

I think a sequence of factors probably combined as the season wore on. Management meddling in team selection, players pissed off and demotivated as a result, dressing room splits and even a dressing room rat. But grass for RM being the catalyst for the team's demise? Just seems a bit of a stretch compared to other stuff.
    I dunno about what you dunno

I think it was a big middle finger from MLSE to its own club.

De Rosario: "What does that mean for myself, a player for TFC, that we don't get that respect?" De Rosario said yesterday as TFC prepared for tomorrow's (4 p.m.) home game versus the Los Angeles Galaxy.

"It's one of those things you look at as a player and you're just disappointed."

"We work hard every day here, we try hard, day in and day out. We deserve grass."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Tor...86496-sun.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno about what you dunno

I think it was a big middle finger from MLSE to its own club.

De Rosario: "What does that mean for myself, a player for TFC, that we don't get that respect?" De Rosario said yesterday as TFC prepared for tomorrow's (4 p.m.) home game versus the Los Angeles Galaxy.

"It's one of those things you look at as a player and you're just disappointed."

"We work hard every day here, we try hard, day in and day out. We deserve grass."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Tor...86496-sun.html
    Was it a middle finger to Seattle's players when they brought in grass for Chelsea?

I'm glad DeRo publicly pushed for grass, but I thought his comments in this case were a little off base. Especially when you consider in retrospect, that MLSE were clearly working on getting grass at that point.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slightly off topic but relevant as far as "bad characters" discussion goes. Do you remember in the late spring the Kei K. vs. Garcia squable and Garcia called Kei a mental midget and Ching said....

“They’ve got a dummy in the center of their defense. It just gave us motivation to score goals on them,” Ching said. When asked why there was bad blood between the two sides, he added, “Because they have an idiot on their team.”

“(Garcia’s) probably one of the dirtiest players in the league. He elbows you off the ball. He tries to get under your skin, and that’s his game. I think his legs are gone, so he maybe tries to get in everybody’s head. He was successful, he riled up Kei a couple of times (in the earlier games), but Kei made it a point to punish him in other ways tonight. The dummy wants to talk, and I don’t think he has any room to be talking if you look at their record,” Ching said.

http://dynamo.american-soccer-news.com/?p=173

He was traded shortly after that incident. I always wondered whether he was traded to Mo as damaged goods.
    Last edited by DOMIN8R; 10-26-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Addition
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I understand a CB, playing the Materazzi game, but shuold you not be big and strong to play that way???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are certainly RPB's who know who was on what side in the Dichio debacle. It might be better if you hear it from them.
    Last edited by FluSH; 10-26-2009 at 04:49 PM. Reason: had to edit your post.... FluSH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Part of being a good coach, is properly managing the egos in the dressing room. I suspect there are no "bad apples" - just some egos run amok.

- Scott
    Post of the month.

Similar to what Capello has done with the English squad, we need a coach that simply does not care who a player is, what they have done or how much they make. Somebody that would sit DeRosario or DeGuzman down for a few weeks and not even blink (not saying that should ever happen, just an example)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tezza View Post
    Man..this pains me to say but I watched Columbus/New England yesterday and Columbus brought on the Greatest American Hero and he ran around like a man possessed. He causes all sorts of problems and I'd just once like to see a player on our team play with his passion.

Why can't we find a Crazy-mentally challenged-guy like Columbus? He flails around as if his arms and legs are independant of his body yet he seems to actually have talent and can score.

I saw this game as well... We were nowhere ready to take on Columbus or Chicago for that matter... I mean the Crew actually play as a team... I've been watching TFC since day 1 and watching yesterday's Columbus game reminded me that decent footy can be played in the MLS.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Was it a middle finger to Seattle's players when they brought in grass for Chelsea?

I'm glad DeRo publicly pushed for grass, but I thought his comments in this case were a little off base. Especially when you consider in retrospect, that MLSE were clearly working on getting grass at that point.

- Scott
    I'm not sure how the Seattle players felt. I know how De Roasio felt and he appears to be speaking for more than one.

In life, it isn't what happens it's how you react to what happens. He clearly felt a lack of respect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how the Seattle players felt. I know how De Roasio felt and he appears to be speaking for more than one.

In life, it isn't what happens it's how you react to what happens. He clearly felt a lack of respect.
    When he, and every other player on our roster signed for us, we had turf. They all knew we had turf.

Bringing in grass for a world class club like Madrid, is just part of the requirement to get a club like that. It has nothing to do with "respect".

If MLSE brought in grass, not as a requirement, but just out of "respect" for Madrid's players, then DeRo would have an argument. But I have no doubt it was a requirement in the contract.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re Garcia...we noticed that the first home game after he signed it was Garcia not Jim Brennan doing the pep talk in the player huddle on the pitch. Mrs Cityboy and I thought it quite strange that a newcomer would be doing this ISO the skipper.

I read at the time that he was a good communicator and a team leader, but I wonder if Garcia assumed he should step in and tread on others' toes....

If he is a lazy trainer plus he gave away a few soft goals the last few games, it might explain resentment from others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the garcia signing was a big downfall.. Instead of a solidified back line i saw a line in disarray and confused ... to be honest i think that garcia was a pure flop and did not cut it .. This has got to be mojo's rat in the dressing room...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I don't think the team respects Edwards. I've seen numerous times and several different players dismiss his calls. They either wave him off when he's saying something or they don't move into the position he wants them to be in. Don't know why, could be personality reasons? I see no other reason why.
    From the times I've seen him on TFC TV he comes across as an immature frat boy that still smokes bowls and does keg stands. Not exactly a professional personality that the players are likely to take seriously.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary Canuck View Post
    From the times I've seen him on TFC TV he comes across as an immature frat boy that still smokes bowls and does keg stands. Not exactly a professional personality that the players are likely to take seriously.

Funny you say that because during the pre-game interview I could have sworn Edwards was high...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Knight View Post
    There are certainly RPB's who know who was on what side in the Dichio debacle. It might be better if you hear it from them.
    Oh man, all these hints and quips are doing my head in.

Either spill the beans Ben or pass the info no to someone else to spill and pretend they got it from their own source.

What happened to Danny was really shitty. The club fucked him over. I'd hate to think he's going to get fucked over by the fans too if the few people that know what happened just sit on it forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly dont know why we are beating up on Edwards...that I dont get. A backup keeper who did his job all season...its not his fault he lost. He is young and doesnt have "presence" but so freaking what...

He did the interview when he easily could have said no...looked dejected and like he had been crying...its not his fault we lost or missed the playoffs....he is as good a backup as you you can get in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked back on the announcement that a temporary real grass pitch was to be installed. Appears that it came at the end of May (29th).

At that point, we were 4-3-4.

After that point, we went 6-8-5.

It's not a huge difference but our PPG dropped after that point and I wonder if that contributed to any bad feelings that naturally exist on any team. Ultimately, Management sent the message that the health of the RM players was more important than their own guys.

TFC played most of their home games at the start of the season (have not done the math, but I'm pretty sure). I would think that that would be a more important factor than players' displeasure with having temporary grass for the Real Madrid game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are all trying to find answers on all of these questions, but putting everything aside, we are no further ahead than after year 1. We are saying the same things over and over. We still need a commanding center back. Obviously we know Garcia was not the answer. We have no wingers still after 3 seasons. We have tried Welsh, Robert, Ricketts and others. We still IMO have no quality forward. I like seeing a striker who can hold the ball up OR turn and be able to take people on, and also set people up. We have nothing up there, Gerba is useless and I have said it from day 1 before he came. OBW looks at times that he might have something more to offer, but he is still not a solution.

I like Vitti and I know most don't, but he is not on the right team for his style of play. We play a useless brand of soccer with a bunch of useless footballers. It's going to be a long year waiting for our CB and striker and wingers and coaches etc. That was a dissapointing season capped off by a nightmare ending. It is just a sad thing when you have so many people behind the team and it looks as though things will never change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you guys are beatting up Edwards but it was not his fault the team tied San Jose...he made some great saves that game. He got a shut out vs Real Salt Lake and although he did not play well vs New York, pretty much the whole team sucked vs New York. And if the team cant score a single goal in a game then we were never gonna win anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P View Post
    Gala
    Gerba
    Wynne
    Vitti
    Guevara
    Garcia
    i dont know, vitti was one of the few players on saturday at New York who looked like he was hungry to score. He was only on the field a few minuted when he danced around 2 players and just missed the far post.

He also doesnt speak english so im pretty sure he doesnt have any verbal arguments with other players on the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    you guys are beatting up Edwards but it was not his fault the team tied San Jose...he made some great saves that game. He got a shut out vs Real Salt Lake and although he did not play well vs New York, pretty much the whole team sucked vs New York. And if the team cant score a single goal in a game then we were never gonna win anyways.
    In the words of Obama, "let me be clear". Nobody is bashing the guy's play on the field. I was merely stating my theory that his personality lends itself towards not being taken seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KdotOdot View Post
    DeRo. He's from fucking Scarbourough. End thread.

S-C-A-R-B-O-R-O-U-G-H

And technically that doesnt exist anymore....We are ALL Toronto so all you east end hating wankers have to suck it. We are all joined in this City together now...Bwahahhahahhahahaha

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by gtaguy View Post
    I think the garcia signing was a big downfall.. Instead of a solidified back line i saw a line in disarray and confused ... to be honest i think that garcia was a pure flop and did not cut it .. This has got to be mojo's rat in the dressing room...
    I agree with you other the last line of absurdness. Garcia needs to go.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shakes, if everything was all nicey nicey (is that a word?) and it was in contracts and everyone understood and looked forward to it... why go public with a "lack of respect" comment? Clearly, management and some players were not aligned.

As for the the original topic, its all speculation but when speculating as to Garcia and some of the newer players consider that this isn't the first time the team has flopped. You can reach back into last year to find examples of late goals and poor efforts.

If it is the same cause you either have to look at players who have been on both rosters and/or assume that there is something systemmic between management and players.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    And technically that doesnt exist anymore....We are ALL Toronto so all you east end hating wankers have to suck it. We are all joined in this City together now...Bwahahhahahhahahaha
    Naah, you're still in Oblio-town, we can still hate you.

Just teasing of course!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nimamalek View Post
    I suspect Brennan and Robinson, they've been captains since the start and we've never been competitive with them as leaders. Dero, Deguzman should be captains next year and Brennan, Robinson should be shipped out.
    agreed 100%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry...DeRo is a great player - but he's not captain material. You don't just make your best players the captain. Its a culmination of personailty traits - not a skills contest.

And DeGuz? Does he even want to be here, really? He didn't show it in NY. (Although DeRo certainly did). I keep hearing that DeGuz thinks he's too good for TFC - (which he is, his talents are being largely wasted - but that's really besides the point) A captain has to lead by example - going through the motions doesn't really cut it.

So I vote no to those two.

I'm usually dead set against giving youngsters authority before they've proven anything - but that Cronin will be a fine captain, soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regards to captaincy, it's all about heart. I agree that Cronin could be a good captain someday, but IMO so could Barrett. HOWEVER, will TFC ever have a non-Canadian captain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting thread. He is my thinking. For three seasons this team has been conceding late goals and has been inconsistent. Several former players like Cummingham are performing far better away from TFC. The roster has changed very frequently and so have the coaches.

The team line-up has changed but the mentality hasn't. Dressing room problems have to be players that have been here a long time. What else is consistent? MLSE teams (Leafs, Raptors and TFC) are all struggling so that points towards the ownership. Director of Football Mo Johnson has been in charge since 2007. Good dafter but has changed the squad too frequently and has built an unbalanced one. I'm guessing that he has too much infuence on the team starting line-up, tactics too and coaching.

There is a reason why the vast majority of English football supporters and head coaches over there hate the European Director of Football set-ups. Team managers claim that directors take away their control over players and confuse the players too. Many of the best coaches won't work at a club that have a director. For example many people think that Dennis Wise is what messed up Newcastle. They are playing with heart in the CCC now that Wise has gone.

Get rid of Mo and bring in a experienced head coach with a harsher mentality. Nice guy coaches hasn't worked for this team.