Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow TorontoFC.ca article --- new thread, less BS

http://www.mlsnet.com//news/team_new....jsp&team=t280

link to the article

------

have your say, but please keep it on topic.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Kick About: Dude, Where's My Bandwagon?

10/28/2009 2:39 PM
    By Asif Hossain / TorontoFC.ca

My younger brother isn't very good at sports. Another year is nearly complete but the trophy case our mother had so optimistically built for him sits bare.

I flatly let him know after his most recent disappointing season that he no longer has my support. When we travel to watch him participate in whatever sport, I will be cheering for other children. The other kids are winners, and thus worthy of my investment. My own brother, not so much. I couldn't care less what kind of psychological issues this creates for him in his early teen years. He sucks.

Most of the above situation is fictional. I do have a brother who is not brilliant at team sports. But he is on a second degree black belt in karate so one day I will pay severely for this start. However, for me the aforementioned scenario is no different than threatening a sports team by withholding support, be it emotional or financial. This is where supporters and bandwagoners differentiate themselves.

anyway, go read the article, and voice your thoughts here ---- please note: keep the personal attacks to yourself.

--

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I want to go to Charleston NOW!
    KD.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king dave View Post
    I want to go to Charleston NOW!
    KD.
    I agree! We can go before it even gets cool.

Now if they'd just change their team to Red.... or is that bangwagon jumping?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I agree! We can go before it even gets cool.

Now if they'd just change their team to Red.... or is that bangwagon jumping?
    Oh, I see where we're going now.
    KD.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and because this was such a good intro...

Quote Originally Posted by ua-kozak_TFC View Post
    I think there is a problem with the distinction of supporter no mater what... I think mostly its because people don;t realize what defines a supporter...

Now for some reason a lot of people think athat NOT being happy about your team... and what is happening around them and how they are managed... means that you aer somehow disrespecting, and not being supporter.. And somehow you;ll just because of the BAD result that you will just STOP following the team all of a sudden and not care how they DO... I think for most of the people if not ALL who come to this board and are associated with TFC supporter or season ticket holder is not the case. Just because you are not happy where this team is going... we are not going to shut off our computers and just ignore all information about TFC until... they start winning... NO. All of us we will still check the website in the off season, mls rumours, and the redpatch boys few times a day going to watch those insignificant friendlies that we often loose in the offseason to hear news about this team... and care about who other trialist who's name we can barely pronounce, lets not even talk about recognizing it. That is being a SUPPORTER...
    Although you know that the team is rotten and in bad situation you still care and what to know what is happening to them... THAT does not mean that all of sudden that the team is in a bad shape we'll start following MOntreal Impacts or Vancouver or whatever...
    HENCE UNHAPPYNESS DOESN't EQUAL TREASON....
    And for some reason that is what i feel its implyied.. too often by a lot of people on this board and specially by this article...
    And that for some reason DO BE a SUPPORTER... IMPLIES FAKING HAPPINESS and just deny or ignore the bad things. Although pessims for no reason is never good ( I consider myself the most optimistic person you could find)... Yet Sometimes you have to be objective and at a point and and if you have to point out rthe bad things as what they are ...and being positive in that situation... becomes just fooling yourself. And doesn;t really help.

THAT said let me clarifysomething, and correct me if i am wrong.. But i believe i speak for many supporters when i say this.
    UNHAPPINESS/CRITISISM DOESN:T MEAN YOU ARE NOT A SUPPORTER.
    BY THE SAME TOKEN
    HAPPYNESS/OPTIMISM DOESN:T MEAN YOU ARE MORE OF A SUPPORTER "BECAUSE YOU SUPPORT THE TEAM THROUGH THICK AND THIN."

ALSO I think both of the fans who are "anti MO" and those who are willing to give him more time or "for MO" (since there has been a clear division) ARE SUPPORTING THE team THROUGH THICK and thin... And being on this board and caring about what happens prooves that point.

Now both the optimistic and pessimistic views at things can hurt and hinder the progress depending on the situation you are. We just have too look at the past and the record and make an objective decision. From what it seems that many supporters lost confidence in MO/club management... but THAT doesn;t mean they stopped being supporter and even less so doesn;t mean that they are "bandwagonners" for calling things as they are...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Kick about: Dude, Where's My Bandwagon?

10/28/2009 2:39 PM
    By Asif Hossain / TorontoFC.ca

anyway, go read the article, and voice your thoughts here ---- please note: keep the personal attacks to yourself.

--
    Says you Parkdale.

You aren't my dad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HEY!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    You aren't my dad.

or am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how Parky picks and chooses the post from the old thread that he agrees with the most and re-posts it in here.

(Just busting your balls dude.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or am I?

That's a personal insult if I ever saw one!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    I love how Parky picks and chooses the post from the old thread that he agrees with the most and re-posts it in here.

actually, I took the First post, because someone took the time to write it up.
    Hopefully the discussion can continue without getting into user names,
    and tattoos, and all the rest of the BS.

(and yes, I know it's just you bustin' my balls)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang you Parkdale!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Getting back to the article.
    Asif was a stand-up ticket rep.
    Helped me out several times in the past 3 years and I have shared a pint with him.
    The article is harmless and not worth getting to wound up about at this time.
    I think the FO, as someone pointed out earlier, is on 'clean-up' duty and this is just part of that.
    Believe you me, they know we are all pissed.
    It's the, "But honey, you know I love you and it was a mistake" stage right now.
    KD.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the FO, as someone pointed out earlier, is on 'clean-up' duty and this is just part of that.

wait... King Dave is not getting worked up over something?

If they are on damage control, this might not have been the best way to do it.
    The point of the article is correct -- supporters don't switch colours when times get tough,
    but the way that point was presented was very, very screwed up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

First duty as Prez?
    Have moderator elections every month!
    KD.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First duty as Prez?

KD.
    how is that different from now?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i just read it..prizby is famous on the internets!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

wait... King Dave is not getting worked up over something?

If they are on damage control, this might not have been the best way to do it.
    The point of the article is correct -- supporters don't switch colours when times get tough,
    but the way that point was presented was very, very screwed up.
    Hey! It's Asifs' first writing gig man.
    You think the FO had a hand in it?
    Very possibly.
    But all we can do right now is focus on Charleston, I mean, next year, I mean Charleston, I mean next season.
    And that is what we will do.
    As prez, I get the top bunk.
    KD.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey! It's Asifs' first writing gig man.
    KD.
    no, he's been writing those for ages (and a ton of other TFC / GOL TV content). Guy's a very good writer, but I think this one falls into the 'too soon' category.

also, it should have come from a supporter, not from an 'official' source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That is the point, I do not realy think he gets it. However, if he was just a supporter not an MLSE employe, then it would not have been a big deal. It is a bit insulting from an MLSE man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not going to be hard on the guy because he was my account rep and I had no issues with him. He is new to his job, wants to impress, and is drinking the coolaid a little bit. Just wrong time to come out with that article.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post

You'd have to find them first.

Getting back to the article.
    Asif was a stand-up ticket rep.
    Helped me out several times in the past 3 years and I have shared a pint with him.
    Believe you me, they know we are all pissed.
    It's the, "But honey, you know I love you and it was a mistake" stage right now.
    KD.
    President Gas is right, as usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it shouldn't have came from anybody at all.....supporter or TFC staff...

look, we all know what happened on the weekend......staff should've just shut up about it, and work of fixing the damn problem...no need for a stupid lecture on what makes a good little soldier.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the writer really needed to start that article on a different note. it set a really bad tone. partly because no one will take pity on the plight of supporting a top 4 EPL club, especially one who has won a CL trophy with a rich history featuring many successes. compared to the 3 years of ugly football from tfc.. he is comparing kobe beef to taco bell meat from a hose.

his actual point is much softer. which is, you are not a true supporter if your willing to boycott the team altogether (especially if it means you still like to watch MLS). nothing wrong with that point from where i see it.

i can see kozak's point tho with some of the posts on this board. if ppl consider canceling their season ticket because of the on field performance, i can't blame them. money doesn't grow on trees to some, and they feel like that's their own way to voice their displeasure. abandoning concessions, putting up a protest.. in all ways you are protesting the acts of the club, and in doing so show that you CARE enough to do so. to me your are still a supporter of the club. if it means you watch the games at home, or wait the two hours to grab a bite to eat or have another drink, that should not diminish your standing as a supporter of this club in any way.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

no, he's been writing those for ages (and a ton of other TFC / GOL TV content). Guy's a very good writer, but I think this one falls into the 'too soon' category.

also, it should have come from a supporter, not from an 'official' source.
    Like I said, the contractor just broke a piece of your brand new, $3,000 Italian marble counter-top with his pipe wrench trying to install a faucet.
    Still waiting for,
    "I'm sorry 'bout that."
    Or, "I'll fix it. Don't worry KD. You'll never know it was broke!"
    KD.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I think it shouldn't have came from anybody at all.....supporter or TFC staff...

look, we all know what happened on the weekend......staff should've just shut up about it, and work of fixing the damn problem...no need for a stupid lecture on what makes a good little soldier.....

exactly.
    We all know that this is the most taboo subject among supporters. We try very hard to bring it up so the fact it was brought up by a staffer makes it very hard to digest. Not to mention that they are trying to 'stay in touch' with us right now.

Overall, this subject should not have been touched.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    .....staff should've just shut up about it, and work of fixing the damn problem...
    no need for a stupid lecture on what makes a good little soldier.....
    especially when the chances of a TFC supporter defecting to another club for the sake of 'glory hunting' is 0.001%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC to Assif: Write us up an article that will reign in the supporters. Make them our bitches. Tell them, no, instruct them what it means to be a more loyal customer, eh, supporter.

Me to TFC: We already know how to support a club. We deserve better. The players deserve better. Clean house - PROPERLY this time, and that doesn't mean to just get rid of half the players. Management has to go! Do that and you will win A LOT of respect - not just from me, and I suspect most supporters, but also from most players. Then you can bring in new management and start fresh without getting rid of half the squad - again.
    Last edited by Super; 10-29-2009 at 03:25 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Kevvv has comebacks for any occasion.
    How 'bout Mr. Glitter smarmypants?
    KD.