Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Italian coach we like to play real soccer and you dont do that with a italian in the house

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris Cummins maintains he is still the head coach of Toronto FC.
    But for how much longer is anybody's guess.
    A report published Sunday on the website of Toronto sports radio station FAN 590 stated that Cummins would not be returning as head coach of the Major League Soccer club in 2010.
    "Really? That’s news to me," Cummins told CBCSports.ca in a phone interview Sunday afternoon.
    Cummins said he hasn't been fired by the club, nor has he resigned his post.
    He did, however, reveal that he is considering his future with the club and that an official team announcement would likely be made later this week.
    After serving as an assistant during the 2008 MLS campaign, Cummins was named Toronto FC's interim head coach when John Carver resigned in April.
    Under Cummins's tutelage, Toronto FC won the Canadian club championship (beating out the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps) and finished the 2009 season with a 10-11-9 record, an improvement on the 9-13-8 mark they achieved a season ago under Carver.
    Embarrassing 5-0 defeat

But the roof fell in on the Reds Saturday night when Toronto suffered an embarrassing 5-0 road loss to the New York Red Bulls in their regular-season finale, a humbling result against the worst team in the league.
    A victory over New York (5-19-6), eliminated from playoff contention long ago, would have put Toronto in pole position to claim a post-season berth for the first time in franchise history.
    But the loss to the lowly Red Bulls, combined with a 2-2 draw between D.C. United and the Kansas City Wizards in a game that finished later Saturday night, officially killed the Reds' playoff dreams on the final weekend of the season.
    The 5-0 loss to New York was also Toronto's heaviest defeat since it joined MLS in 2007.
    After the game, Cummins admitted to reporters he was thinking about his future as coach of Toronto FC, citing unfulfilled promises made to him by the team, in addition to a desire to be closer to his family.
    Cummins's wife and five children currently live in England

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inklink View Post
    I really have no problem with Mo.

Hopefully Cummins is gone.

Welcome interim interim TFC head coach .... NICK DASOVIC

good no not him hes useless we would finish behind the red Bulls if this
    characyer got a managers job....Keep CC fro christ sake move the players out!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When he goes, I definitely think this is a band aid solution.

2 Coaches will have left over the course of 30 games. Speaks to a problem that goes beyond the position.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inklink View Post
    I really have no problem with Mo.

Hopefully Cummins is gone.

Welcome interim interim TFC head coach .... NICK DASOVIC
    I tell ya, All the time I wanted this man as coach instead as asst, and knew the Carver protege would win the overall job, also he was British always the problem here, but this man has done it all. First he played in Croatia, in Scotland cup final, where he scored, played for Canada, coached the under 23's to tie the mexican squad and eliminate them from Olympic contention, also has anyone ever met an east european who didn't understand the game? I am of British descent but over the years have come admire all east european players and their heart for the game and they are reasonable in their $ demands. They also understand discipline, I'm afraid now that this man has missed his chance. Will he be invited to be part of the Vancouver Whitecaps, where he was player/manager? he's paid his dues? Who did Cummins ever play for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc2008 View Post
    No Italian coach we like to play real soccer and you dont do that with a italian in the house

if what we play is 'real" soccer, i will take "fake" soccer and win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ill miss his british accent

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya. go back to London you bum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steve Nichol

Quote Originally Posted by SteeltownBhoy View Post
    I think Mo will go after Steve Nichol. Now that Nichol has hired Watson (good Canadian Boy) I think he will offer both positions. That would leave 2 great Canadian assistants to learn at the top level here in NA. Then Danny could be quite envolved in scouting and thre Academy, thoughts anyone???

Too right mate!!

Steve Nichol will do the business for certain!!!

sp69

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    That is, bar none, the most ridiculous quote I've ever seen on this board.

Our defense got shredded, key players (Cronin and DeRo) are publicly stating that we have bad characters in our dressing room, and you think those are successful signings?

Serioux? Vitti? Is there some emoticon out there that's, like, an atomic-bomb-facepalm?

Seriously dude, do you work for MLSE?
    Seven months ago Serioux was a great addition for us, and made a ton of sense... we needed help at central defense, and Mo delivered with a proven MLS veteran, and a domestic, no less. Should we have expected John Terry? We loved the Vitti signing at the time on these boards (although, knowing your temperament jloome, you probably droned on wisely about waiting to see the results on the field, damn pragmatist). It showed that Mo was willing to search other markets for talent, and wasn't just endlessly trotting out League 2 has-beens.

As for bad characters, I can't speak to that. If Mo knew about a player's issues and still signed him, well, it wouldn't be the first time a GM looked the other way as long as the results were there, and it wouldn't be the first time most of the fans didn't care (Lawrence Taylor comes to mind as the most egregious example). As for our defense, I recall a time when we were just one strong CB away from a solid "MLS back line". Now we think Brennan should retire or move to the wing, Wynne isn't fit to start and Velez is back home in PR.

I maintain that he's done mostly good things apart from his horrible judgement of managers, and that includes misjudging their ability to work with the team he has assembled. If he gets it right this time around, then I think he should stay on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    How is this band-aid? The guy wasn't fit to coach, this is the obvious first step. It's only a band-aid if it's the only thing to change... this is the first day of the off-season, ffs, let's wait and see what else comes along.
    doesnt address the lack of players and lack of heart that still plagues the team and people believe this was the only answer to the problem

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    doesnt address the lack of players and lack of heart that still plagues the team and people believe this was the only answer to the problem
    I think you would be hard-pressed to find a single knowledgeable fan who thinks this is the only change we need.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seven months ago Serioux was a great addition for us, and made a ton of sense... we needed help at central defense, and Mo delivered with a proven MLS veteran, and a domestic, no less. Should we have expected John Terry? We loved the Vitti signing at the time on these boards (although, knowing your temperament jloome, you probably droned on wisely about waiting to see the results on the field, damn pragmatist). It showed that Mo was willing to search other markets for talent, and wasn't just endlessly trotting out League 2 has-beens.
    This statement overlooks the facts that most readers of this board are aware of, and that is that this team's defensive woes were well known by anyone with a pulse. Bringing in Serioux was a wash because Mo had sent Marshall to Seattle and Dunivant to LA. In fact, despite the fact that this board was continuously calling for help on the backline, we actually started the year weaker than where we finished the season before.

Mo did not deliver...and most of us realized that and did not let it go unnoticed. That's why I personally have shifted from the "wait and see" camp with regards to Mo, to now being a full-fledged member of the "he's got to go" camp.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Only problem Roogsy is that he's signed this extension that's never been acknowledged publicly yet.

I mean, he's back but when was this contract extension officially announced?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We know Mo is coming back next year...we can all dream though. This guy has failed...but as per usual, the geniuses at MLSE head office don't know their heads from a hole in the wall and will make a change much too late.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you would be hard-pressed to find a single knowledgeable fan who thinks this is the only change we need.
    I think youre giving too much credit to alot of posters in this forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    Yer aff yer bap mate!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins leaving was done a while ago... Something like 3 or 4 weeks ago that desicion was made.

The FO is probably waiting a few days and then it will be annouced.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    Your player of the year Frei is one of those players Mighty.

You"re such a character!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 117 View Post
    Cummins leaving was done a while ago... Something like 3 or 4 weeks ago that desicion was made.

The FO is probably waiting a few days and then it will be annouced.
    I think thats it. Not sure if its just to make them look less reactionary or because they want him to help in the post-season cleanup work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moes got to go this should have been read across the southend at the last home game no disrespect to dichio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPBLondon View Post
    if what we play is 'real" soccer, i will take "fake" soccer and win
    Agreed. I will also take fake soccer and not be bored by shite long ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hilarious and totally ridiculous that someone could suggest that merely by getting an Italian coach we will be better.

You guys make me laugh.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    I find it hilarious and totally ridiculous that someone could suggest that merely by getting an Italian coach we will be better.

You guys make me laugh.
    let me be more specific... an Italian coach that is a disciplinarian... I think the Italian style of coaching and tactic would suit the needs of the squad best with the talent we have...

is that better?

and yes that in combination with an american manager that knows the system of the MLS we would do much better

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what it boils down to is,
    This team does posses some talent.
    There are players on this squad that should have performed better.
    This club is better on paper than on the pitch.
    It is quite possible that the right coaching will get the right performance out of them.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    Meaningless unless we find out the next guy is significantly better.
    I disagree. This team took no form or direction under Cummins. They played to the best of their abilities, but they played as individuals. There was no thought or cohesion. Witness the defenders booting the ball downfield for the opposition to collect and control - we played like an uncoached Sunday league side.

Cummins was out of his depth here. Hopefully he's replaced by someone of better pedigree, but even so, anyone with a strategy will be better than what we had.

Goodbye Mr. and Mrs. Cummins.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should expect a new coach and since its the MLSE running the team, I expect a coach that is best for keeping fans happy and in their seats, not the coach that is best for the team. I expect someone from the following list.

- Tie Domi
    - Wendal Clark
    - Danny Dichio
    - Alan Shearer
    - Diego Maradona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hard to fault Chris...simply because I don't think he ever had a chance.

This might be way off base, but to my outlook, he never had a carrot or a stick. How do you coach without these things? He had no authority. You can't seize control of a team of int'ls with no real power.

I don't think we'll ever know if he was capable or not - because I don't think he was ever given the chance.

He was hired to babysit.

Maybe I'm wrong - maybe he was given full authority to do things however he saw fit - and was able to release or sit players if the situation demanded it.

Or maybe he butted heads with dichio over playing time - and lost half the room as a result. Frankly a Dichio/Barrett competition for playing time seems ridiculous to me - start them both! This could explain why Danny was not given a role as assistant coach.

Or maybe he was never given a proper squad - it's on its way, but we all realise we're missing some key parts...

I have no quibble with his tactics - he gets paid a lot (a little? I don't know) to make those decisions - and I think he's well capable - people seem to think he's vastly unqualified for the position and that he just showed up at the gate one day and they gave him a job! Go through the process yourself and try to become an elite coach or referee (or even just provincial levels) and tell me that guys with no clue make it to a professional level. (Well, they do if they're former provincial or nat'l team members...) Then go try for your levels in England and tell me if its easier or harder...

Although Tactics wise - I think three (especially those 3!) at the back was suicidal and was proved to be - and he should of realised that after the RSL game, when only luck enabled us to win that one. We almost got pasted that game too - way too many inexperienced errors at the back.

But most on here thought that was a good idea - and probably still do. I'm probably the only one here who thinks that a back four with garcia looks a lot more solid. Although even I can see he's not the answer...I'm digressing...

And coaching at this level has got to be mostly man management - It looks like he lacked experience at this level and may have made some mistakes in this area. Show me a manager who hasn't! Even the great Cloughie mismanaged and misread situations at times. (fookin Leeds) Cloughie even had the nerve to floor Roy Keane with a punch - maybe Chris should have tried that with Dichio? Sir Alex would proably like that boot back he cut Becks with; It doesn't make them a bad coach or manager. Maybe not the best fit. Quite possibly CC is a good manager but was a bad fit at this time with this club.

The point is - we don't know what was really going on - although it seems we soon will if the reporters can get it out. (I still want to know what really happened with Carver)

and blanket all encompassing statements don't really help - I see no evidence that any coach would have done better with the squad at his disposal. I think we played very well at times - and very poorly at times - and I think you could say that about every team in this league.

I mean, sweet jesus, we missed the postseason by a single point!

But it really won't matter who the new coach is without a proper centre back.

And it really doesn't matter what his nationality (or she! ponder that!) is.

And it doesn't really matter what style they play - as long as all the players buy into it! Nonsense about certain players only being able to play certain styles, or coaches not knowing how to utilise a 'true' number 10 - are just ridiculous. You play the style that you think is most appropriate to the best 11 players you have available. (Playing hoof and hope is not the style I'd recommend without a target man or any frontline speed - but I'm sure that wasn't the plan - I'm sure thats a result of poor movement and no other choice available)

Flats is right though -

(and I'm not down on any player, (well except Vitti - useless, what is this movement talk? He plays with his head firmly down) and (Guevera - fully capable of being the best player in the league when he wants too - but looks mostly disinterested)) -

we have the makings of a good team.

Even garcia has the makings of a very capable backup/emergency starter for us.

so my final analysis is

- basically any qualified coach would have achieved pretty much the same result -

what we really need is a central defender. (This last bit gets repeated a lot the last three years by just about everyone it seems)

I wish Chris well

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    I find it hard to fault Chris...simply because I don't think he ever had a chance.

This might be way off base, but to my outlook, he never had a carrot or a stick. How do you coach without these things? He had no authority. You can't seize control of a team of int'ls with no real power.
    The rest of your post was a bit long and rambling dude and I couldn't get through it (sorry dude!), but this bit I totally agree with, and I think it's likely the source of these "bad character" rumours we are now seeing. The players (especially the senior guys) knew they were safe and probably ranked themsleves level with Cummins in terms of authority. And as soon as that happens, you've got serious problems.

A coach respected by the dressing room who is able to rebalance the squad a bit to his liking (width, new CB, whatever he thinks he needs) and who can get the guys playing as a team in a coherent, organised system should do well with the talent we have.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have been posting this all fookin summer
    they should have given chris the full time job and let him prove his worth this interm shite did not work and chris did not have the authority he needed to really coach the team
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go