Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default No matter what happens in NY-I am optimistic about next year

I just wanted to put it on the record, in case that bitter sourness strikes after the weekend. ( I do think we will win-but just in case we play Garcia I want to say this)

I think we have a very solid if not great squad for MLS standards, I hope that the coaching will match. But I beleive we will have a great season next year, not that I have given up on this one yet.

----------Gerba--------OBW---------
    ---------------De Ro--------------
    ---Sanyang------JDG---------Cronin

Felinga---------------------------Gomez
    ------------Attakora-----Serioux

Just an example of what we can put out there that I would be happy with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah, I've always been more optimistic about next year than this year.
    After we gave up that late goal to San Jose.... I thought we were done... BUT
    it was clear that the pieces were there, just not working right.

If we don't make playoffs, or make a quick exit from them, then you can bet
    that there will be a BIG fire lit under the players collective ass over the winter to improve.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to add some width to the squad, dump a couple of players like Garcia and, most importantly, bring in a head coach that can cut it as an MLS manager and who knows how to get the best out of a squad limited by roster size and cap space.

But yeah, I think the basis for a great season is there, we are now just looking for the final few pieces of the puzzle (although a coach is a key, central piece) and a bit of luck with injuries and officiating.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[quote=trane;759592]I just wanted to put it on the record, in case that bitter sourness strikes after the weekend. ( I do think we will win-but just in case we play Garcia I want to say this)

I think we have a very solid if not great squad for MLS standards, I hope that the coaching will match. But I beleive we will have a great season next year, not that I have given up on this one yet.

I will be very disappointed, but satisfied, if TFC wins in NY and still doesn't make the playoffs. Having said that, I am also very ethusiastic about next season...
    Last edited by ManUtd4ever; 10-20-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the title of this and thought "I'm not even thinking about next year, I expect a win this Saturday!" then I read the word that means defensive death for TFC...."Garcia"..... please please please don't play him!

I like that line up Trane! 3 - 1 TFC!!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can get a experienced coach that can a good system in place that can bring out the best in the players, then absolutly next year will be awesome.

Balls in your court, Mo!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    If we can get a experienced coach that can a good system in place that can bring out the best in the players, then absolutly next year will be awesome.

Balls in your court, Mo!
    You've go to think that a few good MLS coaches will be more interested in coming to Toronto now that the line-up looks pretty good.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a coach who can manage this squad. Full stop.

This squad should have done better. This IS a playoff squad even without JDG...with him, we certainly shouldn't be looking at a 50/50 chance of making it in, it should be more secure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think one of the major issue we had this year was the inconsistant lineups. As a former/current soccer player I know what it is like to play with the same players week after week and when you add a new player into the mix it really is not as easy as it looks to get a flow going.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have not even begun to see what a fully match-fit JDG will do to this squad.
    I hope that Mo doesn't do too much turnover in the squad.
    Ship out Garcia for a good organizing defender, add a good striker, and we're done.
    Oh yes, and add an experienced coach.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm optimistic too.
    Just wondering, does JDG have to be protected for the draft or do DP's have some bubble that doesn't allow them to be drafted?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    We need a coach who can manage this squad. Full stop.

This squad should have done better. This IS a playoff squad even without JDG...with him, we certainly shouldn't be looking at a 50/50 chance of making it in, it should be more secure.
    Agreed. That is why I am off asking for Mo's resignation. However, it is for him to bring in the right coach. We are not missing much. Yes an upgrade at striker and CB, but that could come from the present players steping up. I still believe Gerba can be a top striker in this league. IF used correctly, and used PERIOD. I also think that Gomez, Attakora and Serioux may be the answer at CB, but a pure top CB would not hurt.
    Last edited by trane; 10-20-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We have not even begun to see what a fully match-fit JDG will do to this squad.
    I hope that Mo doesn't do too much turnover in the squad.
    Ship out Garcia for a good organizing defender, add a good striker, and we're done.
    Oh yes, and add an experienced coach.
    Definitely want to see mininmal turnover in the squad, I think that's really important after three years of revolving doors for players and staff alike.

That said, I think that unless we add a wide option we're too one dimensional. We have some great central players, but teams will quickly realise they can stifle us by sticking a couple of DCMs in place and then hitting us on the break. Plus, having players wide who pose a material threat will help create more space in the middle for our stong central players.

So yeah, new head coach who ticks all the right boxes, Garcia out, one or two wide players in (they can be young and relatively inexpensive, we have quality in the squad and just need balance now) and a free scoring striker would be a welcome bonus.

My worry is that we'll see too many players depart to maintain stability, especially with a new coach. For instance, if we lost (in addition to Dichio and hopefully Garcia) Robbo, Amado, Vitti, Barrett and someone in the expansion draft that doesn't end up being protected, then we're looking at a major squad overhaul again, coupled with a new head coach. And there goes consistency for the fourth season running...
    Last edited by Hitcho; 10-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.

MUFC_Niagara

trane, I agree and your optimism is much appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brennan scored his goal at home

he will retire
    robbo will retire

gueverra will stay...he will be on fire next year with the W.C dream

barrett will find a job at McDonalds

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Brennan scored his goal at home

he will retire
    robbo will retire

gueverra will stay...he will be on fire next year with the W.C dream

barrett will find a job at McDonalds
    I can't see Brennan retiring. We're not exactly stocked at FB and he badly wants to win more stuff with TFC before he goes. No suggestion at all (apart from disgruntled fans who think his performance levels have dropped a bit this season) that he will retire. My money is on him staying in place.

Robbo is tricker because of the JDG, Sanyang, Cronin scenario and the fact that his form really dipped this season plus he's expensive. That said though, he doesn't strike me as the kind of player that would want to go out on a low. Plus he has (I think) a year left on his contract and is unlikely to find any offers back home. I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay put for one more year. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see him off loaded (rather than retiring). Again thougb, my guess is he'll be here next season. He has proven class and both Sanyang and Cronin have much to learn yet, plus do we really want to limit JDG to a defensive role? I think not.

Nothing to suggest Amado is leaving. I think he'll be here next season. If MLS breaks for the group stages of the WC (as I heard it would be) then we won't lose him for any significant amount of playing time either.

Barrett is tricky. He's young, industrious and American so may prove tempting to other teams, although he's expensive unless they negotiate him down in the trade. Plus his goal ratio for us is poor. However, he's been playing wide a lot and done a good job. And unless Mo has someone lined up to replace him, I think he'll stay put. We have Gerba, OBW and Barrett as strikers. Chancing it with two next season is too risky, even for trader Mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pieces are definitely there, more time to gel and better coaching is what I think the team needs most. No revolving door during the off season. I think four starting quality players is the maximum we can afford to lose and that could happen pretty quickly with the rumours of some people leaving + the expansion draft.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I am thinking about at this point is New York and making the playoffs....nothing else!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I just wanted to put it on the record, in case that bitter sourness strikes after the weekend. ( I do think we will win-but just in case we play Garcia I want to say this)

Just an example of what we can put out there that I would be happy with.
    I agree with everything you say, I would put Barrett on instead of Gerba though (yes, Barrett) and I'd find a replacement left back for Brennan and move him up to mid. Felinga hasn't shown me anything that warrants having him on a starting lineup, that's just my opinion. Sanyang would be first off the bench for any of the midfielders in my perfect world.

This is of course without going out and getting any further acquisitions.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pieces are definitely there, more time to gel and better coaching is what I think the team needs most. No revolving door during the off season. I think four starting quality players is the maximum we can afford to lose and that could happen pretty quickly with the rumours of some people leaving + the expansion draft.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. On paper we're looking to be a very strong team. There's still a gap that needs to be filled here or there, but for the most part the roster is fine as it is. The midfield is especially strong and I don't see the need for any major change in that area. All said, I think coaching is going to have a big impact on our fortunes next season. Someone new has to come in and refine the talent we have to make the squad competitive. That's the one big change we'll need.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    All I am thinking about at this point is New York and making the playoffs....nothing else!

I understand, and I am with you, but too some point it is out of our hands. Had we not conceded the late goal at home, it would have been a differents story. Now we can win and still not make it. I just want to remind myself not to get too negative if it does not happen. We are in a good position to suceed.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    exactly..next year is next year lets get one more win and a Dallas and New England loss or draw...we need columbus to defeat New england next sunday on Gol tv!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barrett's not as bad as some make him out to be. He creates space, and opportunities due to his work-rate. He is NOT a clinical finisher, however. He would be of interest to some teams, and TFC might well keep him.

I expect the club to leave him unprotected in the expansion draft, due to his cost.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm with you trane.

It's just that there's something gnawing at me in regards to Mo though.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perspective-type musings (and trade discussions, for that matter) are for after the season.

I will be disappointed unless we win the MLS Cup this year. If we get in, we can beat anybody.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    exactly..next year is next year lets get one more win and a Dallas and New England loss or draw...we need columbus to defeat New england next sunday on Gol tv!!

Al-Mo you must feel validated now that Mighty agrees with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    I'm with you trane.

It's just that there's something gnawing at me in regards to Mo though.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
    What? He will take over the club as coach???

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, who is he going to hire?

It's just more a feeling that somehow it's going to get all screwed up next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I share that concern mark with you.