Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Post match: RSL at TFC

No proper post game thread?

Bit nervy at times, but huge win.

So, who wants to go to NYC next week now lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoeless next week, Coulumbus the week after

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New York next week, we have to go. I have never been on a road trip, but New Yorl next week seems like a natrual. I did not think about untill this second, by the little oooltra in me says I got to go. I anyone planing this?

It is a must win, and we should try to show, and show strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most entertaining game in a long time, and the best and loudest the crowd has been in a long time. I had goosebumps watching it on my computer.

Cheers to the club and cheers to the supporters -- a huge and much needed effort from both today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm liking White more and more that I see him play. He's a good passer.. he has a good sense of where the play should move. He's a beast out there... very hard to get the ball off of him (unless yer as big as Olave).. he hustles and really pushes himself out there. never seems to give up. (only negative is he never seems able to win 50/50 ball in the air... for some strange reason).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also -- someone will probably point it out eventually so I might as well -- the goal shouldn't have counted. Barrett clearly brought it down with his arm.

But we've had so many shitty calls go against us that I think we're due a few gimmies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

But we've had so many shitty calls go against us
    yeah, like the no-call on De Ro earlier in the game where clearly the RSL defender tugged on his jersey to pull him down, negating a clear chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can Jimmy please play up more!?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yeah -- I'd like to see Felinga at LB and if Jimmy plays put him as a winger.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RESPECT to all my fellow supporters. You were fucking amazing today.

I'm sure we played a role in the win today. MOTM was definitely Edwards, he saved us innumerable times. We still seem to collapse too much though, both back and into the box. It gives me a heart attack every single time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the highlights.....NIGEL REED was fooooooooking AMAZING! The Excitement he had was unreal!

AS he put it ...THE DREAM IS ALIVE!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still way too much long ball.

Gomez looked great and Edwards was perfect.

Nana was average. Same with DeRo.

RSL wasted a few chances.

50% of the job is done. Now to play a bit better in NY. Do that and we should be okay.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

few thoughts

Jimmy B
    -I've been on his case for a while esp his leadership but last game, I truly thought Jimmy B LED the team in the field. After his first little run into the box I thought Jimmy B looked all business and his 2nd goal of the year just clinched an all around good game for the captain. I didn't see him make any major mistake on defence.

Julian de Guzman
    -Lost few possessions and few bad passes, but JDG is THE best DM in the league. While Ricardo Clark and Shalrie Joseph have the physical edge, JDG is more gifted technically and he reads plays. RSL didn't have much going through middle of park. A lot of their chances happened to come from long balls. If he put that late chance away, he'd be a hero too.

O'Brian White
    -This kid is coming along nicely. He truly has a predatory instinct. Unlucky on few chances, but I think he is #1 striker for TFC just because he has the instinct, and the pace to be at the right spot at the right time.

Chad Barrett
    -One of best games he had as a Red. Terrorized RSL on the left side with some decent crossing, and cutting in inside to make things happen. He also knows to be at the right spot at the right time, AND he's developing a quite a vision and awareness of play to make the right pass at the right time. His performance from 46th min to about 60th min shows what potential Barrett has, and why we shouldn't give up on this guy just yet.

Adrian Serioux
    -Serioux's most commanding performance in a long time, esp in the air. His physical play is what is needed to intimidate opposition strikers. He also has one of best ball control in the team. Several times he just bamboozled RSL players with some fancy footwork. Serioux plus a decent organizer for CB partner would make this go very well for TFC defence

Amado Guevara
    -Long plane ride and a mid week game to put on a good game. Guevara is the smartest player in the game, and he managed his effort well to exert himself when it was necessary, and to take it easy when it's ok. He's learning to play a reduced role in TFC offence, but still be effective.

Nana Attakora and Emmanuel Gomez
    -The TFC future looked solid, but still made couple of rookie mistakes, esp in positioning. I dunno which of these two will turn into an organizer, but I hope one of them start taking more charge in defence soon.

Sam Cronin
    -Overall decent game. Showed that he can get forward on offensive plays, but he needs to be more aggressive and willing to take the shot. Also needs to bulk up some more.

Dwayne De Rosario
    -He's becoming better team player, and having more confidence in his teammates. Still dangerous, so opposition spends a lot of effort on him, opening up more space for his teammates.

Brian Edwards
    -He's earned the #1 shirt for now IMO. It'd be a terrible crime to not let him start next week after such a brilliant performance.

Chris Cummins
    -It's like he read RPB board. Subs were decent and done at right time to control the flow of the game. The team didn't give up a late goal. Overall game plan looked solid. Whether he can do this on consistent basis is another question.

Overall team play
    -Offence looked solid. Chances were there, but needs to be more clinical to finish the game.

Defence got caught few times on long balls. That's positioning problem and the defence needs to be more aware of their marking to ensure that long balls dont hurt them. But didn't really bunker down and invite pressure on last 10mins of the game so overall I'm pleased with defence's performance

What is up with TFC scoring just after the half time last few games?
    Last edited by Yohan; 10-18-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few notes:

Chris Cummins
    I love the fact that Chris used all of his subs! Played out time accordingly... and wasn't afraid to sub out DeRo as well when he looked exhausted. It's unfortunate though, that his learning curve is not too forgiving... but it's the nature of the beast... especially with coaches.

Chad Barrett
    Fantastic game! He was everywhere... The CBC post-game analysis said it well... he was attacking defenders straight on... Yeah it's true we get on his back alot for his lack of finishing, but if you think carefully there is at least three goals that I can think of where we have been scored from a Barrett Miss/ricochet... I think it's a must that someone pushes along with Barrett to catch the rebound or funny bounce if he does miss.

Amado Guevara
    I really hope he stays with the club next year. His skill is noticeable out there and he was inches away from a GOLAZO! It would have been picture perfect... we had just finished doing the Bounce and on cue... Amado steps up and takes the Free Kick... that finish would have been NUTS!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    few thoughts

Brian Edwards
    -He's earned the #1 shirt for now IMO. It'd be a terrible crime to not let him start next week after such a brilliant performance.
    You dont lose your job due to injury. Never as a goalie does that happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give credit where its due...Serioux had his best game in a long time, he played really well.

We won that game because of Edwards and Barrett. And to a lesser extent Brennan and DeRo.

I'll tell you whats up with scoring goals shortly after the restart, superior coaching! What a motivator! Those team talks must be impressive! Three year deal! Three year deal! Three year deal!

We played better in the previous game to be fair - I'm still not a fan of the back 3 - at least not that back 3 - if not for Edwards we would have lost that one. Nana and Gomez made several youthful errors. A better team would have severely punished us.

I was lukewarm on Guevera's performance. I feel he could have done more.

Not a big fan of DeVos anymore, some of the things he says are ridiculous or just plain wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This RPB forum may have won this game for TFC.

Several of us have been saying that 3-5-2 seems to work best for this squads balance. We all wanted Garcia on the bench and Gomez back in the starting line-up. We complained that CC wasn't using all his subs late in the game and bringing on Vitti and instead of Sanyang when needing to protect a late lead was an obvious coaching blunder.

Quelle surprise!! Chris Cummins implemented all of these suggestions and it lead to victory and TFC looked more composed in the last 15 minutes against the MLS top late scoring team. CC is showing adaptability and is learning. I now want him back next year.

Does anyone else think Chris or his assistants have been reading this forum and agreeing that there has been some really good advice posted on this great forum?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too found it interesting that after all of us complaining about Garcia and demanding Gomez come in, he puts on Gomez.

by the way, interesting fact: despite a slow start at home, TFC ended up having its best home record in three seasons at 8 wins, 3 losses, 4 draws.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching the game in 6 minutes...

Forgetting all the awesomeness for a moment,
    It was really frustrating to once again see that East stand looking 3/4 empty when Brennan scored his goal.
    Time to get rid of the beer garden!
    Time to put in that North Stand!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post

It was really frustrating to once again see that East stand looking 3/4 empty when Brennan scored his goal.
    I think smokers are bigger culprits than anything else. There's tons of people out there at the half taking 5 mins to squeeze out the gates, 10 mins to power down two quickies, 5 mins to squeeze back in and get to their seats. If you get a beer or something on the way, that's longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I have no problem having a smoke, buying a beer, and taking a leak, with enough time to be back at my seat for the second half!

Anyway... I'm just nitpicking... it was a great day all the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post

I'm ready for moving up North... VAMONOS...

@FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I see your bags are already packed!

It might take time getting through BMO security with all those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were several really nice technical plays this game, something not always seen by TFC:

Chad Barrett's run through five (!) players in the first half, although his shot was eventually blocked.

Amada Guevera's free kick.

Guevera also did a move in the second half where he kipped the ball up with his back to goal and hit the ball on a turnaround half volley while being pressured. The shot was blocked, but it was a very nice move.

The team played a double triangle down the right hand side exactly the way I saw Inter do it once. Cronin started the play, then got the ball back twenty yards downfield after it went through JDG and maybe Guevera.

JDG's spin-o-rama on fifty-fifty balls. It doesn't always come off, but it often does.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Candu_88 View Post

Does anyone else think Chris or his assistants have been reading this forum and agreeing that there has been some really good advice posted on this great forum?
    It's like he implemented most of our suggestions! Maybe one of the assistants (DD?) are reading the boards and passing on the better advice.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you imagine if people had actually gone for that harebrained idea of "protesting" this weekend, by not going to that game?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, I have a secret.....

I'm a TFC spy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Could you imagine if people had actually gone for that harebrained idea of "protesting" this weekend, by not going to that game?

- Scott
    Seriously!

WTF was all that about?!

We're supporters.
    We support our team through the good and the bad.
    And especially when there is still hope for the Cup playoffs!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadview View Post
    I think smokers are bigger culprits than anything else. There's tons of people out there at the half taking 5 mins to squeeze out the gates, 10 mins to power down two quickies, 5 mins to squeeze back in and get to their seats. If you get a beer or something on the way, that's longer.
    Alright Gabe..I don't buy that....I am in and out before the half starts...and I will have one or two smokes and stop to talk to about 6 people on my journey back to my seats...Some people's priorities are not straight!
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serioux was MoM for sure.

JDG still looked lost for me.

And will someone tell the team to play the ball on the fucking ground and stop this long ball, 1980's Arsenal bollocks.......

Good win. Had fun.