View Poll Results: Check if he should STAY for 2010...

Voters
396. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mo Johnston

179 45.20%
  • Chris Cummins

36 9.09%
  • Paul Winsper

217 54.80%
  • Nana Attakora

373 94.19%
  • Chad Barrett

141 35.61%
  • Jim Brennan

147 37.12%
  • Same Cronin

360 90.91%
  • Julian De Guzman

378 95.45%
  • Dwayne DeRosario

379 95.71%
  • Brian Edwards

323 81.57%
  • Lesley Fellinga

281 70.96%
  • Stefan Frei

381 96.21%
  • Gabe Gala

235 59.34%
  • Nick Garcia

22 5.56%
  • Ali Gerba

277 69.95%
  • Emmanuel Gomez

313 79.04%
  • Amado Guevara

234 59.09%
  • Fuad Ibrahim

243 61.36%
  • Carl Robinson

131 33.08%
  • Amadou Sanyang

333 84.09%
  • Adrian Serioux

329 83.08%
  • Pablo Vitti

165 41.67%
  • O'Brian White

367 92.68%
  • Marvel Wynne

293 73.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep or Gone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have contracts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it were possible to keep Cummins on as asst. coach I'm might have selected that.

Other than that, I think any player at 50%+ I probably checked to keep (except for Winsper but I still respect the guy). How bout you guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

who voted garcia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dclaro View Post
    who voted garcia?
    Himself...?
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dclaro View Post
    who voted garcia?
    Which time?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of things:
    - I'm very wary about calls to "dump players" (with very few exceptions) until I see who the replacement would be. I think we've been at least 3 short on the roster for most of the season. Some of the guys we lost could have been helpful in a pinch. Well, in particular ONE of them...
    - Other players we did or will get rid of, could perhaps be much more useful with different coaching, different tactics, or different (supporting) team mates.
    - A number of guys who could still be big assets to the team, but at a lower salary next season (or if the cap is higher so their salary has less impact),
    - Happy to see the high vote for Serioux, but I'm concerned we may not see him back due to his own choice -- lingering neck & other problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCUNITED View Post
    Which time?
    when i voted it was one? i guess now its two

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicked all but Chris Cummins, Ali, Fuad, Nick and Pablo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sentimental bunch we have. Why else would anyone want to keep our pricey captain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    Sentimental bunch we have. Why else would anyone want to keep our pricey captain.
    I think there's a solid chance Brennan will retire after this season anyway, unless the team specifically asks him to hang in there for another year.

But yeah - I like Jimmy B. I think he's had a great career, and has been a thorough class act. That said, at this point I think he's been overpaid, and underperforming this season. We could get someone better for the same money - and Fellinga looks like he could slip into the role quite nicely (and looks to have a better cross, to boot).

We need to let go of our sentimental attachment to guys like Robbo and Brennan, and realize they are getting old, and becoming liabilities compared to the rest of the league's players. The quality of play in MLS has gotten better, to the point where it's passing them by even faster than it would have by the slow process of aging anyway.

I'd love to see both stay on as lower priced depth players (nothing like veteran experience to help close out a game in the later stages), but I have my doubts either would take that kind of a pay cut, or reduced role.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins, C-Rob and Garcia have to go. I would keep Vitti if we could re-sign him at a lower price. Mo deserves another year, its not his fault that Carver left or that Harmse wanted to go to the left coast (how badly do we need a slightly competant CB right now).

If Jimmy leaves, who takes the armband? Keeping him as captain for one more season makes sense to me for the sole reason that it isnt established who our next ambassador will be (hopefully JDG will take it the year after).

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good poll, Damien. It was hard for me to make a clearcut stay-or-go for a lot of guys, so I really just picked the no-brainers for me (Cronin, Frei, DeRo, etc.).

Also, I hope you don't mind but I've got a rundown of the most popular players at the moment according to the poll:

Top ten TFC players according to poll

Stephan Frei - 111
    Julian de Guzman - 110
    Dwayne De Rosario - 110
    Nana Attakora - 108
    O'Brian White - 106
    Sam Cronin - 105
    Amadou Sanyang - 101
    Adrian Serioux - 101
    Brian Edwards - 98
    Emmanuel Gomez - 90
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wynn with 90 votes wow! Why keep him? And this argument that he is an "asset" I don't get, what "assets" does he have besides his speed?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    i also think we will sign Vitti for cheaper and he will be alot more effective next year, especially if people play their proper positions
    do you know what's Vitti's natural position? lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
    I said cut Robinson and keep Jimmy simply because I don't think you can cut both your assistant captain and captain in the same year without some major repercussions. I also can't see them handing the captaincy to DeRo or JDG yet...

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them still here next year, albeit at a hugely reduced rate. Basically, the team will not cut them loose if they want to come back, but won't be begging for them to be back either (other than maybe Jimmy, who's still got a decent left foot, he just shouldn't be playing LB)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felinga is quite effctive on left mid and has a better left foot crosses and clearance than Jimmy. So I think if he's back he'll still be on LB using a Canadian spot
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People not sold on Mo... no surprise. He will have to prove himself by getting a good coach for next year. People like his draft picks, looking at the polling, but that's only part of the job.

Cummins is clearly over his head, he recognizes it, and most of us do, as well.

Some of the older players are polling surprisingly low. It looks like most people here want new blood.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mikey

Keep
    Frei
    Edwards
    Wynne
    Gomez
    Serioux
    Attakora
    Sanyang
    de Guzman
    De Rosario
    Guevara
    Cronin
    Gala
    OB White

Gone
    Robinson
    Vitti
    Garcia
    Brennan
    Fellinga
    Gerba
    Barrett
    Johnston
    Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    He improved his game throughout the year and he has the one great attribute midfielders need - consistency. Someone at TFC deserves credit for helping him with this. The real test will come next year when everyone will expect this consistent play week in and week out.
    Robbo.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gerba's Foot: Stay
    Gerba's Gut: Go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo has brought in very good players, done well at the draft, great signing of JDG and encourages Canadian content ...
    Once the product is on field, its the coach that needs to put it all together with his staff. They have not as there is something wrong in that dressing room. No Gomez or Sanyang in the final game ??? Fellinga has been around for weeks and not played, even though he showed real promise as a wide man .

No ..we have the players / we need players in the right position and tactics to match the game situation. ( i.e. holding a lead; etc )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    People not sold on Mo... no surprise. He will have to prove himself by getting a good coach for next year. People like his draft picks, looking at the polling, but that's only part of the job.
    My number one problem with Mo - he's bought players, he hasn't built a team. Big difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Cronin has to be the biggest surprise for me this year. I had no idea who this kid was coming out of NCAA other than the write ups and scouting reports. I really can't recall the last bad game he's had. (one or two come to mind early in the year, but it's been a while)

He improved his game throughout the year and he has the one great attribute midfielders need - consistency. Someone at TFC deserves credit for helping him with this. The real test will come next year when everyone will expect this consistent play week in and week out.
    Cronin is shit and overrated. There I said it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff s View Post
    Cronin is shit and overrated. There I said it.
    Now explain why please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Now explain why please.
    I find him to be a very non influential player alongside with Robbo. Both arent capable of building an attack. I dont even notice his presence on the field half the time. He doesn't help out the fullbacks as much as he should.

Even the stats dont lie. Add the stats of Cronin and Robbo and you get 6 assists and one goal. WOW and we're relying on these guys to set up plays? We cant just expect the forwards to score all the goals here.

I think people look at cronin and greatly overexagerate on how good he is. You can put another young player there and probably wont even notice the difference tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread proves that most fans don't have a clue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by felipe View Post
    This thread proves that most fans don't have a clue
    Actually, I think the results of the poll are bang on. The only result I questioned is for MoJo, which is almost 50/50...

BTW, best poll of the year...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Actually, I think the results of the poll are bang on. The only result I questioned is for MoJo, which is almost 50/50...

BTW, best poll of the year...
    another question about Mo. How much credit does Mo deserve for Nana, and keeping him in the roster all 3 years?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    My number one problem with Mo - he's bought players, he hasn't built a team. Big difference.
    Good point. Mo has done some good drafting and signings. However, he has also failed to fill some glaring holes (Coach, central defender, etc.)

This clearly has to be his main focus moving forward. If he fails to do this in the coming year I don't see why TFC should keep him on board.

We're 3 years complete and moving into the 4th year of the "5 year plan". No more excuses can be accepted. It's all about results now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL Wynn has the same amount of votes as Fellinga LOL Wynn who displays nil soccer sense has the same amount of votes as Fellinga LOL