Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by footyfan View Post
    Or maybe it is a dose of reality that Toronto is like every other MLS market when it comes to "watching soccer on TV"?

But damn, 20,000 that blows, DC United typically gets 2-4 times that amount for broadcasts on CSN.
    TFC gets more like 80-100,000 when it's on a Saturday afternoon on CBC.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VoxPopuliCosmicum View Post
    Kinda harsh, no? Yes, his posts are occasionally unrelated to TFC, but he(?) brings a different and mostly rational viewpoint. More than anything, he probably wishes he was one of us.

Despite the abuse he suffers, I've never seen him reciprocate.

It is harsh, but this is a TFC supporters , specifically RPB board, every comment he makes is about who DC is better then TFC, again what would he expect?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably he expect some grief, but not a banning. This is an OPEN thread and he is more tolerable than some supposed TFC fans. He hasn't broken any rules...hence he won't be banned. Let us know if he does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Probably he expect some grief, but not a banning. This is an OPEN thread and he is more tolerable than some supposed TFC fans. He hasn't broken any rules...hence he won't be banned. Let us know if he does.
    Yes, it's good to keep the board open. Footyfan brings some good perspective on the history of MLS and how far its come - sometimes we sound as if there was no league before we joined, instead of just no league worth talking about.

As far as the SuperBowl's international TV numbers go, that's a really one-off 'event.' It doesn't really show any interest in other NFL games. Kind of like all those billions of people who tune into the Academy Awards but have no intention of seeing any of the movies nominated.

The NFL has done all it can to get the rest of the world interested in their sport and it just isn't working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, if I didn't have my PVR recording ALL Major League Soccer game, I wouldn't even have known WHERE the game was.
    The answer lies here (for people like us who are actively looking for this info, not for the casual)

http://www.livesoccertv.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    TFC gets more like 80-100,000 when it's on a Saturday afternoon on CBC.
    It will be interesting to see what the ratings are this Saturday with 2 Euro games happening in the day.

What I do know is that I have friends that normally watch TFC games that didn't tune in on Sunday because they'd had enough football with two Euro matches.

There are more actual matches to distract you during the course of the season, but right now there are two matches a day that most every serious football fan is going to watch.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    Maybe it's the fact that the Score should be doing their own broadcasting (also NBA finals) lol

I found that CBC wanting to get their own sportsnetwork a good idea. Will help for the World Cup coverage.
    nah, they will just more hockey on it then anything else, oh don't forget that other dim sport curling? TFC and MLSE need a TFC channel where
    TFC and other MLS gmaes could be shown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    thats not good at all. Even worse when its a low-quality away broadcast. Have there been any TFC commercials during the Euro games on sportsnet? I didn't get a chance to watch fully the other day, but that would be a good time.
    NONE! It's been driving me nuts. Something about TFC or the CMNT...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People are interested in my area but still don't know who TFC is... scary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    be careful tho -- ratings are not an exact science ... actually, they are quite biased.
    the people who get the ratings books or systems are generally upper middle class, white, and live in good neighbourhoods. the companies that do the ratings perform some statistical "magic" on the numbers to try to make it seem "real" but it's not an actual count of how many people watched. So it's not a fact that "20000 people watched the TFC game". 70000 people could have watched, but if 50000 aren't in the demographic that gets the books or ratings machines, then they aren't counted. It's like how with political polling, they have problems now whereby people are self-selecting by choosing NOT to answer the phone when the polling company calls.

Basically the advertisers are looking for a certain demographic (not just the 18-49 thing they always spout) to sell to, and the ratings companies find them that demographic and then figure out how many people of THAT group (potential buyers) watched the games. Naturally this skews towards certain audiences and more traditional sports.
    Thank you!!! TV ratings in Canada are very biased. Toronto Raptors don't get a high rating either, but yet we got one of highest numbers of STH in the NBA. Strange, eh?

For the record, only 5 million Canadians have theScore channel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not hard to believe that the ratings were so poor. Although we watched the game there were alot of times that I was temped to turn it off.

Besides the play on the field, the annoucers were terrible and as a TFC fan I don't wanna hear someone else's broadcast team any more then a Dynamo fan would want to hear ours.

Also the production was VERY bad, here are my observations...

Sound quality:
    the announcer's sounded like they were in a tin can and then when a goal was scored the shots of the crowd was annoying, and some how the audio appeared.
    Picture Quality: The game looked like 4th generation video, I've seen CNN video from a warzone that was clearer.
    Packaging: it's nice that the broadcast can generate revenue, but not everything needed to be sponsored, every other sentance was this _____ was brought to you by _____.

The best solution to bring up the ratings of these away games would to have local production. If they get the raw video feed it wouldn't cost much to have our announcers call the game locally. It works for the Leafs, and it could work for TFC.

That being said, if there was a radio outlet that also ran the games we could turn off the bad audio and listen to the radio, but then the games would have to air at the same time, preferably live.

I believe we deserve a better away game broadcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was not serious. I just get annoyed every time I see him post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing TFC and DCU viewership is nonsence. I agree with TRANE. Let's focus on the big picture. THe EUORS are where it is at re:TV, and frankly an 8:30PM game graced by terrible TV coverage can't compete and we all know it.

having watcvhed the game, I really wish I was the first guy that made the wise decision to do something more productive and/or satisfying with that time...

BTW - it might be posed in here somewhere, but do we have stats on ratings for home games vs. Away games? ENSCO, GIVE US ALL THE FACTS AND HOLD NOTHING BACK!