Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cummins lamented not having "a defensive midfielder on the bench."

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

......finally this from TFC's wrenching 1-1 draw at home: Afterward Cummins said something quite curious about his limited substitute options. He lamented not having "a defensive midfielder on the bench." But wasn't Amadou Sanyang there? And didn't the young Gambian make three starts at defensive midfielder just a few weeks ago, with reasonable effectiveness by most accounts? Just checking.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many threads do we need to have about how Cummins fucked up, is a fuck up and will be a fuck up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe he should be lamenting not knowing what players he has on the bench in the first place.

So, just to get things straight...we have Sam Cronin, DM, Adrian Serioux, DM, JDG, DM, and Amadou Sanyang, DM

and in all that time watching the match, the idea that maybe swapping a striker for a defender, and then moving players already on the pitch, didn't enter your mind? well Chris, thats probably why you will be looking for a new job in a couple of weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ This is fucked up!

Weak comment from CC anyway. Even if Sanyang wasn't there (was he?) what did CC do with Robinson in Chicago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow....that's strange.

I also found this comment from Edwards pretty telling:

"You know it's the story of Toronto FC for this year," Toronto goalkeeper Brian Edwards said after getting the call in relief of the injured Stefan Frei. "... We don't have enough about us right now -- the confidence to hold a 1-0 lead and it's everybody from the top to the back, it's all of us."

Scary...but true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins knows the players a lot better than us. Let's not tell him who's a defensive midfielder when he's at training with the players. We are supporters, he is the head coach. Maybe he'd do his job if we let him do his job without all of this god damn complaining.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold on a second.

Cummins is regretting the fact that he wasnt able to play even more defensively?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many more games like these need to pass by, before some of the last holdouts concede that Cummins is a BIG part of our problem?

No defensive midfielders?! Sanyang has not only played CDM before, but he played it well to boot!

Now boarding to Anywhere-But-Here, Mr. Cummins.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you see if Cummins had put in Sanyang in the 78th and we'd score a 2nd goal he'd be a genius. The lack of a DM means he's the goat now.

Fuck it I can't even try to lampoon the bullshit he spews.

Fire Cummins. NOW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

......finally this from TFC's wrenching 1-1 draw at home: Afterward Cummins said something quite curious about his limited substitute options. He lamented not having "a defensive midfielder on the bench." But wasn't Amadou Sanyang there? And didn't the young Gambian make three starts at defensive midfielder just a few weeks ago, with reasonable effectiveness by most accounts? Just checking.
    Is this correct...???

If it is from the post game media conference, I thought the question and answer was about a "centre back" on the bench...

I'm going to have a look/listen at work tomorrow (where I can pump up the ambient volumn in the background) and see if the question is in fact about subbing out a centre back or another 'defender' not a 'defensive midfielder'...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sound like a back peddle this isnt the first game that he has been in this situation, lets call a spade a spade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InTheCrowd View Post
    Cummins knows the players a lot better than us. Let's not tell him who's a defensive midfielder when he's at training with the players. We are supporters, he is the head coach. Maybe he'd do his job if we let him do his job without all of this god damn complaining.
    Cummins does his job whether we complain or not. Part of being a fan is showing emotion … and the only thing that’s worse than negative emotion is no emotion at all, so?!

People are free to call it as they see it, my advice would be to stay away from the boards if you can’t handle the Cummins reality. He’s just not a football coach – even at this level!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our team was doing fine until the last 5 minutes or so. If he had made a substitution that late and we had lost he would've gotten a lot more flack than he is getting right now. I personally think that we could've easily taken that game but our players didn't realize the importance of the game in those last moments they were on the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game was against the 2nd worst team in the league, half their starters were out, they'd played three days before -- how perfect a fucking roster do we need to win that must-win game at home?

Everyone here knows the roster, everyone has complained about some part of it. But we're not expecting this team to win the MLS Cup, we aren't expecting them to go on the road and beat the best teams in the league. But we do expect them to at least hold on and beat the 2nd worst team in the league.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wether we make the playoffs or not we should be looking to replace Cummins but I'm not as venomous about Cummins effort. I didn't expect as much as some I suppose. Our next name should be bigger. The respect from the players has gotta be there.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be honest I spoke out loud at the game cursing when CC brought on Vitti instead of Gomez or preferably Sanyang. Sure more risk of a dangerous free kick but do you remember how many stupid top of the box were conceded by DeRo late in the game?

True DMC player will not contribute to the team defending too deep. They are energetic ball winners that close down the ball fast and aggressively. That is exactly what we lack late in games.

Late in games protecting a lead you bring on ball winners and you leave a lone fast striker up front that scares the opposition defenders enough to keep them back. What does CC do? Bring on forwards and attacking midfielders and leave tired DMC and full backs on the field sticking to the 4-4-2 game plan.

Top teams with lots of attacking threats like Man U, Chelsea, Barcelona will still have 10 men back near the box defending late and will work hard to win the ball and then keep it. Not collapsing back just making recovery runs to ensure pressure, cover. balance and no unmarked men in the box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DeRo was obviously tired and was making issues, he had three subs, used one.. you could have subed Vitti, and Sanyang and Gomez if he had wanted too.
    Garcia needed subed he's old a slow and can't make it a full game effectively, DeRo was tired and making mistakes and Barrett (due to injury) needed subed as well.

The big fail was the last 25 minute defensive play with only one goal. We should have continued to attack... I don't understand why this "everyone in the box and dare the other team to score" strategy keeps getting used.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    The big fail was the last 25 minute defensive play with only one goal. We should have continued to attack... I don't understand why this "everyone in the box and dare the other team to score" strategy keeps getting used.
    because the players have no confidence in their coach and each other

teams that are high in confidence and morale attack. they push the opposition and even take a few risks defending because they believe in themselves.

i see none of that in TFC players

if you're low in morale, you're more likely to want to react to what the other guy does, so that you can try to defend against his moves. hence bunkering mentality

if you're high in morale, you're more likely to initiate, causing opposition to react to your moves
    Last edited by Yohan; 10-13-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano