Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He didn't have all that much to do did he? I mean, for the average TFC match, he was basically a spectator.

but he looked good for what he had to do.

i'm going to go with whatever the coaching staff thinks on who the better keeper is, they see them all week at training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With tfc all but out of it now and frei's finger still mending i believe Edwards will be given the starting spot the rest of the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Guys, great to wake up this morning after yesterday's sadness to read this thread. If it wasn't here I was going to start one. Edwards impressed the hell out of me. He has shown massive improvement in his communication, shot stopping and commanding the box. One great punch in the first half for a highly contested ball well outside the 6 yard box that right now Frei would have stayed on the line.

We have to give kudos to Mike Toshack the keeper coach for Brian's improvement and confidence despite way too limited playing time this season. This will put pressure on Frei and make him develop the same improvements Edwards has made.

I thought after the Real game that Edwards superb cross defending made him the number one choice against true 4-4-2 teams with true heading threats. Now if really annoyed because Edwards in against Colorado would have changed the result.

It was so unfair for Edwards to be in the most important game of the year only having played in some friendlies. The fact he was at the top of his game speaks volumes on his potential. CC has not manged the keeper playing times properly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Candu_88 View Post
    It was so unfair for Edwards to be in the most important game of the year only having played in some friendlies. The fact he was at the top of his game speaks volumes on his potential. CC has not manged the keeper playing times properly.
    bit harsh on CC with this comment. Frei has been pretty damn good for most of the season. not easy dropping your #1 keeper quickly. you normally dont do that unless he is going through a really rough patch of form
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looked very, very committed yesterday! He wants playoffs and he took his starting chance very well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just curious who was the backup keeper yesterday? I did not know who he was.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy named Kevin Guppy. MLS GK Pool player I believe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    A guy named Kevin Guppy. MLS GK Pool player I believe.
    Thanks Sulfur for the info.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    bit harsh on CC with this comment. Frei has been pretty damn good for most of the season. not easy dropping your #1 keeper quickly. you normally don't do that unless he is going through a really rough patch of form
    Of all the coaching motivation strategies in the world playing time remains the primary one. Frie is an awesome shot stopper with superb quickness but late in the season he has been staying on the line way too much and has even conceded goals on high looping crosses inside the six yard box. At that point Edwards should have been given a league game to keep him ready and send the message to Frei to start commanding the box on high ball not just the ground ones.

If Edwards had on struggled yesterday then the keep Frei in all the time carries more weight. Based on Brian's performance though the competition for starting position motivator should have been utilized by CC IMO because they are both quality keepers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm shocked people are ragging on his communication is HIS 1ST LEAGUE START this season...

Communication is a two-way street, and its not something that happens right off the hop...
    If he came in and just started screaming at the defenders to do things differently (as each keeper likes their defenders to do things differently) that would have caused utter-chaos in the box and defending... Letting Brennan etc take the lead on lining the troops is actually a veteran move for the keeper to take...

Edwards commanded the box with his play on corners, jumped off his line and corralled the ball - instead of letting it drop and hoping to make that highlight reel save...

There's a reason Frei is up for save of the week so often - 1. because he's a damn great shot stopper in close 2. because of all the in close chances that happen from poor decisions to attack the ball off the line...

Carts...

PS: yes disagreeing with - that's a paddlin'... LOL
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    he was awesome... he deserved this shot long ago.... !!!!
    For one who didn't have much to do, he was OK. That was until the goal, where he was badly at fault. Reaching for a ball he had no chance of getting, so putting himself out of position when the shot came in.
    So...awesome ?
    No
    The reason we lost ?
    Probably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards had a decent game, but I want to know how he plays against a team that's not San Jose. Edwards did a good job coming out and grabbing balls, however he had what, like 2 shots on goal? One from halfway and the other was let in. I'm not going to judge him on one performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    Edwards - he should have been given this shot long ago.....

he was AWESOME!!!! well done kid!!!

EDWARDS FOR STARTER!!!!!!!!!!
    Not even close. Frei is the guy we need, he makes big saves and if he is a top keeper in the MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards showed that he does have some good shot stopping skills. See Real Madrid game (even if he got torched 5 times)
    Nope not true. Frei played the first half against RM & got beat three times. Edwards played the 2nd half and only got beat twice. I thought Edwards looked like the better keeper in that game.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news....jsp&team=t280

Sure Frei is a great keeper. However I think he has been overused as a rookie. His confidence & decision-making on crosses has been a problem since the beginning, and he gave up (or froze) on too many lightly-screened shots. Not meant to be a knock on Frei -- he's an amazing find, especially as a 13th pick -- but I just don't think he's progressed enough during the season on his weak points. He's had some off games (and some minor injuries) where I think we should have had another look at Edwards (and before that, Sutton) for the following game at least.

Great for Edwards that he could come out of that and not really look rusty yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    For one who didn't have much to do, he was OK. That was until the goal, where he was badly at fault. Reaching for a ball he had no chance of getting, so putting himself out of position when the shot came in.
    So...awesome ?
    No
    The reason we lost ?
    Probably.
    Go look at the replay. The reason Edwards was out of position is because Nana got a flick on the cross but didn't get enough to clear it, and the ball fell to the feet of the attacker. If Nana got a solid touch on the ball, or missed the ball entirely, the goal would not have happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Brian Edwards will make a solid starter in the MLS. I rated him much higher than Greg Sutton last year but John Carver seemed to always go with the incumbent. He held his own and did his job really well against SJ, but unlike some of you, I didn't find his solid play to be "surprising".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ballerz View Post
    Go look at the replay. The reason Edwards was out of position is because Nana got a flick on the cross but didn't get enough to clear it, and the ball fell to the feet of the attacker. If Nana got a solid touch on the ball, or missed the ball entirely, the goal would not have happened.
    Lol but this is part of a keepers job. Tell the defender if you're coming out for it. Saying that if Nana got a proper touch it would've all been good is like saying that Barrett would be top scorer this year if there weren't any goalkeepers. Seriously we can't just say I would've hit the ball if I didn't miss it about every situation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen to Nana's interview & some of the other game quotes. Apparently Edwards called for the ball, but Nana didn't hear it or whatever. It was so jam-packed in front of the goal -- except near the top of the 6-yard box, where there were a bunch of SJ players with too much space -- it makes sense that there was some miscommunication. That cross was certainly in an area & height that Edwards handled confidently a couple of times in the game, so it makes sense that he probably called for it.

We already know that the players aren't listening to the coach & aren't listening to each other on defensive organization, especially towards the end of games, so Edwards likely played only a small part in that crucial moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not gonna read every comment but I don't think he had much to do today. I did read comments complementing his distribution....questionable I think. If he has the ball in his hands, he will muff the kick almost every time....and, he holds on to the ball too long for my liking....

He was ok with what he had to do but that's what is expected. At this point for the qualities he and Frei have, I think they are inter-changable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you should look at the replay again.
    He had already decided to go for the ball before he knew if the defender was going to win the challenge or not, so putting himself out of position.
    Not sure if you know this, but keepers shouldn't gamble.
    He did, and they scored.
    Bad mistake.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if you watch, you can see him yelling, which suggests to me that he was calling for the ball.

As a GK, if you're going for a ball, you let your defenders know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is soccer. It's an on the fly sport and not everything goes how it's supposed to. When you're going for a header you don't stop. This is everyone's fault let's not press it onto an individual all we had to do is clear the friggin ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He didn't get smoked five times, he played only the second half and did very well. I was very happy with the job Edwards did on Saturday. If. The communications between him and Nana had been better, he would have that had cross and we probably hold on to win but what can we expect when he has virtually no time in the nets! Frei can learn something from Edward's aggressiveness on crosses. By coming for those balls, he was snuffing out trouble before it could begin. Frei would not have come for those and in many cases, that leads to the mass confusion in the box!

Edwards showed that he does have some good shot stopping skills. See Real Madrid game (even if he got torched 5 times)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah. that was my bad about RM game
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had already decided to go for the ball before he knew if the defender was going to win the challenge or not, so putting himself out of position.
    He did, and they scored.
    Bad mistake.
    Please look at the replay again. It was clearly an easy ball for the keeper to take. Nana said he didn't back off after Edwards called for it.

I don't know if you know this, but if the keeper calls for the ball, it is his.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please look at the replay again. It was clearly an easy ball for the keeper to take. Nana said he didn't back off after Edwards called for it.

I don't know if you know this, but if the keeper calls for the ball, it is his.
    Edwards was moving towards the flight of the ball and was in good position to haul it in as he did three or four times earlier in the match.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm being hard on Nana who had a fine game.

As I and others have said, it is communications and we can't really expect those lines of communication to be perfect when Edwards has played so little with this defence.

B

Gixmo

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    As a GK, if you're going for a ball, you let your defenders know.
    Correct, and as a GK - You make it known, you don't take any chances with anyone missing it. You should be able to hear Mr. Edwards on the television yelling!

That being said, Quality game for Edwards with some pros and cons, perhaps we'll see what happens next week...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He did, and they scored.
    Bad mistake.
    I personally disagree with this 100%...

I'd rather see the keeper be aggressive and challenge, come off their line, get up and grab the ball (which he did 3-4 times in the match)...

Plus, its not "gambling" when the ball is played into the 6-yard box. As a keeper thats your space! If a ball is played in, you make it yours...!!! If the SJ keeper had done that, we never would have scored our first goal...

You can't sit on your line and hope to stop a shot from a ball played into the 6 - you have very little chance. You go out and you get it...

Also, as for TFC in particular, I'd MUCH RATHER see our keeper be aggressive as our defence is, lets say "suspect" more often than not...

Edwards appeared (I can't say for certain as I can't hear him on any replay) to be calling for the ball...

As I watch the replay over and over right now - I just have to say, for godsakes Garcia keeping charging the man whos about to one-time a shot on goal, you have a much better chance of it hitting you the closer you are instead of stopping dead... But that's a 'off topic' paragraph right there LOL...

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is REALLY OFF TOPIC... But REALLY BOTHERING ME...

I'm currently watching this replay over and over - does anyone watch what our $3-Million-Dollar-Man is doing during this entire sequence...???

He's, umm, not doing much... I'd say WATCHING...

The ball is thumped up the pitch and goes over JDG's head and skips off the turf to Garcia, who plays it poorly off his knees. At this moment you can see Garcia is both in trouble, and separated from his back line... JDG actually begins to walk, not even trot towards the TFC box - by this time the ball is at the feet of a SJ attacker and Brennan makes a great block... JDG still doesn't move (but he has a great view) When SJ recovers the ball, only then JDG picks up a light trot into the box... He's about as deep as the penalty spot when the cross sails into the 6 and off Nana's, he's then standing at the edge of the 6 when the goal is scored...

I'd hope that a player of his calibre could have read the trouble Garcia was in from the moment of that first poor touch, and become part of that back defensive unit... Yes, you can't have everyone drop back and implode, but he is a 'defensive midfielder' by trade...

Just kinda sucks that our netminder, in his first league match of the season is getting dumped on for this, when you have many, many, many mistakes and down right LAZY plays on the pitch - that all contributes to the goal...

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Carts that a crap load of things contributed to the goal being scored.